PDA

View Full Version : loud exhaust in wis

catman4life
12-26-2009, 07:27 PM
I have a trip planned for northern wisconsin and a guy in our group has a phazer with an aftermarket pipe on it. Should he be worried?

catman4life
12-26-2009, 07:29 PM
ttt

bellracing2
12-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I have a trip planned for northern wisconsin and a guy in our group has a phazer with an aftermarket pipe on it. Should he be worried?

yes ,this is from wi-dnr book : Noise limit—for every snowmobile manufactured on or after
July 2, 1975, the noise level standard for exhaust and engine
noise shall be 88 decibels as measured in accordance with
the procedures established for the measurement of exhaust
sound levels of stationary snowmobiles in the January 2004
Society of Automotive Engineers Standards J2567.  To help stay compliant, do not alter your exhaust to be
louder than the original exhaust system. If your snowmobile
sounds louder than normal, you may be in violation. Maintain
your snowmobile and seek the advice of a service technician
if you are in doubt.
You cannot modify your snowmobile’s exhaust in any manner that
will amplify or increase the total noise emission above that emitted
by the snowmobile as originally manufactured, regardless of date of
manufacture.
 Excessive or unusually loud snowmobiles are illegal and hurt
Wisconsin’s trail system. Do not increase your exhaust
noise or operate with your exhaust system in excess of
the sound limits. Wisconsin vigorously enforces the sound
limits and penalties can be severe, however the worst thing
about a loud snowmobile is that it causes properties to be
permanently closed to snowmobile riding.

ridindirty800
12-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah if you get checked he will get a ticket! But the group I ride with all have silincers on our sleds and have never had a problem with them at all! Now we also arnt heavy on the throttle coming into town or in places u may get checked! I am not saying its ok to ride with pipes or not just trying to give you some imput! And if his phazer is a newer 4 stroke it may not be that loud anyway compared to a 2 stroker! my 2 cents

thebreeze
12-28-2009, 08:47 AM
I have head some phazers that redifine the term thumper with aftermarket silencers on them. It is a crap shoot of you will be ok or not. You likely wont have a problem, but it is also possible you will get pinched if you run across any tree cops. They do look for aftermarket exhaust stuff at times.

whitedust
12-28-2009, 10:10 AM
If it is LOUD he will get pinched something like $180 or more. You don't hear loud pipes around Northwoods very much anymore.

1-snowbullet
12-29-2009, 02:10 AM
I love it !! . THERE ARE STRICT GUIDE LINE"S THE DNR AND POLICE HAVE TO GO BY IN ORDER TO SOUND CHECK A SLED !! they need to be certified to use the equipment for one --then a certain distance on the side of a sled ((I believe)) and only at a certain rpm . otherwise they are in violation them selves . I will have to check into it again at our local aftermarket motorcycle parts store . it applies to cycles and sleds ect. i know its 88 decibles or less ! falls under(( society of automobile engeneers standards J2567)))must be a standerd for checking for sound levels on equipment . will check into it right now !!

1-snowbullet
12-29-2009, 02:30 AM
OK you want to know about this well here it is or what I looked up and read --- to much to type up so here is what i was under :::: dnr sound testing for snowmobiles . the Wisconsin one . very interesting to read i learned alot and got confused typical gov reading material ..there are guid lines they have to follow from what i looked at .. and its very strict they say 78 decibles not 88 like in the book ! whats up with that ? Ok I e-mailed WI. DNR to see what they say on the subject will post as soon as they get back to me !!

harvest1121
12-29-2009, 03:43 PM
I thought it was illegal to modify any exhaust. I had a friend get one almost 10 years ago. I had a zrt that was alot louder then the zr but it was his was aftermarket.

f7drivr
12-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Noise limit—for every snowmobile manufactured on or after
July 2, 1975, the noise level standard for exhaust and engine
noise shall be 88 decibels as measured in accordance with
the procedures established for the measurement of exhaust
sound levels of stationary snowmobiles in the January 2004
Society of Automotive Engineers Standards J2567.

whitedust
12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
So if LOUD he will get pinched. I do belive that was the question.

thebreeze
12-29-2009, 04:02 PM
It is merely a probability game. He may get pinched, he may not. But if it is really loud, he is not helping our cause our his. If it is reasonably close to a stock sound level, there is a good chance he will have no problems as long as he doesnt act like an azz. If someone is acting like a moron, and letting it rip in town and at the gas station, his chances of a ticket will go up exponentially. It all comes down to good old personal responsibility, and respect. There is no way anyone on this site can acurately predict if your buddy will get a ticket or not.

f7drivr
12-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I got pulled over by the DNR just north of HWY64 by mountain on my 4wheeler on my way to HWY W. 3 DNR guys were in the trees and when I got up to them they made me pull over to do the db test. They said they could hear me coming 3 miles away. I was .09 db over the legal sound limit and they wanted to give me a ticket but they could not because it was a brand new machine and it had a stock exhaust on it. The moron told me to take it back to the dealer and have them replce it with a better new one! I told the ok, YA RIGHT! That was on a Honda TRX450R. I don't know if they hide in the woods during the winter.

f7drivr
12-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I have a SLP can for my '05 F7 snopro I only use it in the UP. In wisconsin around Marinette county I believe you would get pinched! Just my opinion.

lt250rfd
12-29-2009, 11:30 PM
buddy got pinched outside st. germain. never did a db check. just said it was loud and looked 2 see if was aftermarket. said was illegal to run aftermarket fine was around $170.00.

sabercat
12-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Breezy nailed it.

After the DNR asks for your registration and informs you that your sled seems to be louder than stock, your only chance is to be polite.

" Excuse me sir?, I don't see a decible meter here."
or
" Excuse me sir, I'm going to have to see your training certification."

See,... IF your nice you won't have to tow your sled out of the woods.

1-snowbullet
12-30-2009, 10:03 AM
ok so what you are saying is : The DNR dude or cop was having a BAD DAY need it be -- boss was chewing him out - wife had her monthly friend visite ect ect just plain pissie . he decided that hay the sled is loud checked it,, said aftermarket here's your ticket NO SOUND CHECK .. WRONG !!!! FIGHT THE TICKET !! THERE is nothing stating that you NEED TO HAVE A STOCK CAN ON YOU SLED but it does say it needs to be 88 decibles though ((thus sound check)) . It sounds to me that the Law officers need money for there county !! There are strict laws out there but he is just going outside the box and creating his own it sounds like. the sound check has to be performed 2 times and it has to be within 2 decibles of one and other but below 78 decibles according to the state (( the hand book says 88 dec)). I DONT KNOW HOW LOUD THE SLED WAS CANT HEAR IT ON HERE --IF IT WAS ANYTHING LIKE THE ONE I HEARD LAST SEASON MAN THAT WAS LOUD YOU COULD LITERALLY HEAR HIM COMMING 10 MILES AWAY HE HAD STINGER PIPES HOLY CRAP WAS THAT LOUD !! and my sled i have a apex with HAULK pipes I ended up towning it down that was loud also ((to my standards)) I put 1 1/2 inch baffels and tip downs on it due to i couldent stand the ringing in my helmet And I got the quiet one not the loud one from haulk . she is as loud as a r-1 crotch rocket stock right now . witch is not much louder than a stock apex ! If i get pulled over he better have all his ducks in a row that day ((dnr or cop )) he is in for a fight right to court ect. can you say HARASSIMENT !!!! They can sound check mine till they are blue in the face and she will pass every time !!

onesnowman
12-30-2009, 10:08 AM

Don't be silly if you give respect, you get respect. I've had aftermarket for years and have never had a problem. Just keep it down around towns and residences. Happy Trails

1-snowbullet
12-30-2009, 10:16 AM
as for the original posting if you think its ungodly loud you will get a ticket some day . Put a aftermarket baffel inside the stock egsaust from the local Cycle aftermarket parts dealer it will town her down you might need to bend up the tabs on the baffel a bit for better flow but it will help they also make tip downs for phasers and nitros and apex threw yamaha witch will help alot ! depending if it is a new sled .. an old sled just ad the baffel at the end of the pipe exit !

upbarleyboy
12-30-2009, 02:50 PM
78 decibels?? What the #^*+?? Why don't we just pull each other around the woods by hand on toboggans-that should only create about 3 or 4 decibels. Unless of course you make the pretend snowmobile noise with your mouth like my kids do, than you might get er' up to 10. Ridiculous!! I agree with the majority on here-be respectful going through towns, and just use common sense.

Happy Trails!!

JAYDEE30
12-30-2009, 03:19 PM
hey catman4life what kind of sled do you have? it has to be an artic cat because of your screen name. if i were you i wouldnt worry about your buddy with the yamaha you need to worry about getting rid of your artic cat and get a ski doo i heard the tnt is a sick nasty sled you should look into one of those

raysxc700
01-03-2010, 01:50 PM
i have been rideing in northern wis for years and have never had a problem
with DNR i have never seen one for that matter just dont ride like a *** in towns or
at night around houses keep the hotdoggin for day light hrs

97xc700 slp single pipe

polarfreek
01-05-2010, 01:47 PM
For sure. Got a ticket for loud exhaust with ATV back in August. I think it was like a $200 fine and they have a real technical way of checking the DB's on the machine. It was kind of funny because when he was checking mine, some other riders came through pulling machines that obviously had pipes on them. Whatever I guess.

fireman35
01-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Ill tell ya the Dnr hang out there by the Gas station in St Germain have seen them there plenty in the past giving tickets to the people that ride the road to the gas station rather than taking the trail. they are real peaches there. Just hangin out looking for dui's and any other traffic tix they can give out. Good luck with that pipe.

Pat1
01-20-2010, 08:56 AM
The easiest solution is get rid of the aftermarket pipes. The horsepower gains minuscule. Three horsepower on a 120 horsepower sled is only a couple of percent. You will never feel it. And loud snowmobiles does nothing but hurt your hearing, piss off landowners, and give snowmobiling a bad name. And when landowners are upset we lose our trails.

atc250rfoxusa
01-20-2010, 11:17 AM