PDA

View Full Version : Big Lake,Foley,Zimmerman Mn.area

dale_58
12-29-2009, 10:03 PM
what are the trails like.Looking to ride Thursday
Thanks Dale

strokeit
01-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Im in Zimmerman.And the trails look great! I just haven't been out yet........Pick up the new sled in a few weeks!

dale_58
01-02-2010, 07:45 AM
we got in a big 13 miles on thurs.from big lake to just past where the monti club used to be in monticello and the drive shaft broke.(hope it didn't take the chain case)so we got it trailerd to moon moters so now they will have it for 2 wks.
What are you getting for a sled??
Dale

strokeit
01-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Sorry to hear about the break down! I picked up a 04' 800 1M with a 159......And i can't wait to get to the U.P. and try her out. I hope ya have better luck when ya get your sled back.

einne
01-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Sorry to hear about the break down! I picked up a 04' 800 1M with a 159......And i can't wait to get to the U.P. and try her out. I hope ya have better luck when ya get your sled back.

strokeit rides again!

strokeit
01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I just couldn't wait till next year to buy a sled!

Skylar
01-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Wait to get back in the game strokeit! Atta boy! :)

slarimda
01-03-2010, 09:45 PM
How are the trails looking in the Big Lake area, and up through the Sand Dunes? Has the groomer had a chance to make a run?

farmereddie
01-04-2010, 12:18 AM
earlier this week the plows went out and pushed boulders of snow on too the trails after they had been done real well. Then on tuesday we took off from around elk lake and went down 1 ta 4 then over too Orrock and the went west on 4 then south on 51 and down too 11 and gas'd up at holiday (trails were okay then ). Went west then north on 25 and as we went past jack and Jims the trails got way better and flat. Went up too the trail shed on corridor 9 in Benton then turned around. I split off the group on the way back and busted a trail in the ditch on 48 and 5 and had a heck of a time on 9 cuz the plow guys made it tricky......all said a easy 90 miles in about 3 1/2 hours ........After that the groomer went by later that nite .....went out on the 2nd at night ( a bit chilly ) and drove down ta the ponderosa and back up for a quick ride, it needed ta be flatten'd for sure ( heavy traffic too the lake ). Noticed a resident digging trenches where the trail goes over his driveway.....so keep an eye out for them.........thats all . Will be out soon again. Thanks alot for the nice trails Elk Lake Easy Riders...........later

Josh5438
01-04-2010, 08:17 PM
rode out of the house in Big Lake on the 1st in the afternoon up to 25 in Becker. 25 was nice all the way up to Duelm, then came 1/2 way back down and took the 4 trail east thru Santiago and worked my way over to the Sand Dunes area. For the most part they were in good condition but the ditch trails were a bit tricky due to the chunks from the plows. The Sand Dunes were nice but getting bare in the corners from people hammering out of them. There is a nice base now and another 6" would make it fantastic.

dale_58
01-07-2010, 10:09 PM
the hwy. 25 ditch is a blast.at least last year it was.
Dale

dale_58
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
any info for the area ?

want to ride from Big Lake Friday 1/15

Thanks
Dale

dale_58
02-07-2010, 10:08 PM
good cond.this past wk.end.
Dale

slarimda
02-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey Dale
If you and you're ridin' buddies wouldn't mind another sledder, could I hook up with you guys next time you do the Big Lake, Sand Dunes, etc loop. I've never ridden up in that area, even though it's pretty close to home (Champlin). The guys I sometimes go out of town with are all on the St Paul end of town. By the way, Friday afternoon I checked out the Elm Creek park, Dayton, Rogers area, and trails were pretty darn good.

strokeit
02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Let me know if you guy's are heading up this way tomorrow.We can all hook up for a ride.

dale_58
02-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Looks like we are going to Iron River Wisc. this wk end. pos. next wk. end the big lake area.It is only a 35 mile tow,compared to 210 miles Iron River.

Dale

dale_58
02-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Let me know if you guy's are heading up this way tomorrow.We can all hook up for a ride.
sort of a BICH I have to work,may even have to work friday 1/2 day.

umdivx
02-09-2010, 01:20 AM
wish I didn't leave my sled up at the cabin at Milie Lacs now, more snow down here then they got up there.

- Josh

strokeit
02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Did a little ride yesterday with my son. Rode down to Elk River along 169 then back up to Princeton then headed home to Zimmerman. Not that many miles,But my son got a little tired and it was getting dark.Going to head out again here again in a little while....

Pic's from yesterday.

slarimda
02-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm leaving work at noon on Friday, delivering flowers to the wife at work, then hittin' the trail from the Elm Creek Park in Dayton (about a mile trailer from home). Northwest Trails website said they groomed their system last weekend, and would maybe head out this week to work the new snow. Last Friday the trails weren't too bad, so I expect good things this Friday. Strokeit, are you headin' out this weekend?

strokeit
02-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Im working all weekend! :(

dale_58
02-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Im working all weekend! :(
that wont hurt you one bit.

Dale

slarimda
02-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Actually took a half day today and got out on the trails. Rode through Crow-Hassan park, made a loop through Wright County, and back to the Millside Tavern for lunch. Twisty park trail was pretty good still, but starting to get a little beat up. Probably be toast after this weekend. All the fields were nicely groomed, but kinda soft and loose during the warmest part of the day. Same thing in Elm Creek Park. Twisty trail was nicely groomed for the most part. Closest thing to "up north" riding you can get. The weekend will take it's toll. Hopefully the temps stay in the 20's at least, and the groomers can keep workin' their magic!

farmereddie
02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Going to be heading up ta the farm in zim town. planning on hitting the trails will see how well they have held up. Will be on trails west of Little Elk lake area and heading up towards benton county or going south west. A group I know well be out in the morning up there riding all day , they should have some info for me. Gonna stop by the local lake bar and have a tasty Ridgewood Burger for sure...........later. Keep the snow dance going......

farmereddie
02-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Looks like we are going to Iron River Wisc. this wk end. pos. next wk. end the big lake area.It is only a 35 mile tow,compared to 210 miles Iron River.

Dale

See if the plywood palace is still up just east of town......dirt floor and a oil burning furnace. I will only have a can of beer, never a mixed drink.....lol. Our group will be out there the 26th , sure will miss this ride going too( Perch Fest ). Great place ta stay if ya have a big group .....Tri Lake Timbers. 715-372-4627.......cabin #4 is our fav...one ! ..later

dale_58
02-11-2010, 10:50 PM
See if the plywood palace is still up just east of town......dirt floor and a oil burning furnace. I will only have a can of beer, never a mixed drink.....lol. Our group will be out there the 26th , sure will miss this ride going too( Perch Fest ). Great place ta stay if ya have a big group .....Tri Lake Timbers. 715-372-4627.......cabin #4 is our fav...one ! ..laterPlywood palace is the place alright.We heard so much about it we had to stop a couple years back.WOW The double bungalo is great for the big big group we had it a few times.Is #4 the cabin by the road? That is a sweet cabin also and holds lots of people also.(12)?

Tell Darrel the Vikes rule well(almost)

Dale

farmereddie
02-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Plywood palace is the place alright.We heard so much about it we had to stop a couple years back.WOW The double bungalo is great for the big big group we had it a few times.Is #4 the cabin by the road? That is a sweet cabin also and holds lots of people also.(12)?

Tell Darrel the Vikes rule well(almost)

Dale

I will send that Vikings jab up with the group. Darrel is a great guy ta work with been going there since 2003..Staying back for perch fest ( liberty beach ) with the kids. Some of the guys are gonna go off trail since the snow has been better than before there. i like the place cuz after riding the bar is in walking distance with good prices. Wish there was a pump there though....gonna blast from the farm on friday ( hope so ) and see how the trails are too the west and north of little elk lake. shooting for about 150-180 miles.......later

dale_58
02-16-2010, 08:43 PM
I will send that Vikings jab up with the group. Darrel is a great guy ta work with been going there since 2003..Staying back for perch fest ( liberty beach ) with the kids. Some of the guys are gonna go off trail since the snow has been better than before there. i like the place cuz after riding the bar is in walking distance with good prices. Wish there was a pump there though....gonna blast from the farm on friday ( hope so ) and see how the trails are too the west and north of little elk lake. shooting for about 150-180 miles.......later
We stopped at the Palace this past Sat.(wow he redid the place)I have been goig to Tri Lake since 1995,the sno-mo club has been going there since the late 70's(i think).there are just a few of us that ride so we stay intown because of the $$$. Sure are a lot of places out in the bush where the sign's posted STAY ON TRAIL and there are tracks all over heck.Not a good deal.
Have fun at Perchfest.
Dale

dale_58
02-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Did a little ride yesterday with my son. Rode down to Elk River along 169 then back up to Princeton then headed home to Zimmerman. Not that many miles,But my son got a little tired and it was getting dark.Going to head out again here again in a little while....

Pic's from yesterday.Did they groom in the area .I heard they groomed Monticello area,& Rogers area.thursday.
Dale

farmereddie
02-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Did they groom in the area .I heard they groomed Monticello area,& Rogers area.thursday.
Dale

trails seem to be getting ugly along the highway but the woods are still getting by. Did not see any noticable signs of grooming when I went too the farm today. although the ISOC race at ERX Park was looking real good ! Maybe next time we will swing in and watch. Will be there on March 11th if conditions stay okay they are making the track into a oval, a high banking oval for some leaf spring racing action......If it's still on I will be there !