Default "Epic Conditions" for us in Colorado Feb. 10-14!!!

It snowed hard for 3 of the 4 days of riding and we picked up over 5 feet of fresh powder to play in. Powder at 9,000-11,000 feet was sick almost to much snow on the last day. Our sleds consisted of 1 Summit 154" (only on day 2), 1 Yamaha Nitro long track mountain sled, 2 "Spring Check" Arctic Cat 141" Crossfire's w/ 1.5" track and 2 Renegade 137" with 1.75 paddle's and lots of mountain mods. Even though a long track "mountain sled" is always the best bet in that kind of powder with an incline these "shorter track" sleds performed awesome and we only averaged about 3-5 stuck's a day per person, just needed to make sure you always stop your sled facing downhill and keep up your momentum. Of course carving was effortless and you could do turns like never before. All in all may be the best conditions I will ever see, I hope not!!!!
    The pics start out at the beginning of our trip with some nice "rideable powder" and end with the epic stuff. At the beginning of our trip the higher we got and the farther we went in the tree's the deeper the powder got, by the end of the trip it was ride where you could keep your sled moving, very little tree riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's some more...
    Pic 1: I ate some serious pine tree limbs on this one (came over hill & stuffed it into tree's)
    Pic 2: Whitey jumping after we got my sled out
    Pic 3: Look to the right of the pic (the landing), where's Whitey
    Pic 4: closeup of landing
    Pic 5: breaktime after tearing up this small meadow
    Last edited by skeedoo; 02-22-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Some More...
    Pic 1: You have to tuck in behind tree's and stop facing downhill to try and not have any problems getting started back up.
    Pic 2: Start of our next day - this is at about 8,000 feet on the trail on our way up to the top. This is when the heavy snows are just starting to pile up.
    Pic 3: Slightly further up (about 9,000 feet), this is how to use your sled as a trail groomer or plow truck!!
    Pic 4: Got alittle excited in all this snow and I let my sled take a ghost ride and do a few flips - all was well because of the softness of the snow.
    Pic 5: Still on our way to the top and the Yamaha Digs to China - Mike is over 6 feet tall just to give you an idea of the endless POW!!

And some more...
    Pic 1: Mike and Whitey found some deep stuff
    Pic 2: Closeup of Whitey's stick
    Pic 3: Isn't the scenery beautiful
    Pic 4: BAM!!! Not anymore
    Pic 5: This is my sled at 10,000 feet when I stopped for a break - Just a little snow

More...
    Pic 1:Mike's Renegade pushing some pow.
    Pic 2: Jeff and the Yamaha loving this snow
    Pic 3: Jeff and some playtime
    Pic 4: More of Jeff playing

Sorry but I have lots more...
    Pic 1: Remember this hillclimb pic from one day earlier
    Pic 2: Same hill just one day later - The snow was piling up unbelievably fast (this is at 9,000 ft.)
    Pic 3: another pic of Jeff trying to get some speed up to make an attempt at the climb
    Pic 4: Pretty good effort if you ask me
    Pic 5: Mike's Renegade parked at bottom of hill

More pow, pow...
    Pic 1: Jeff taking a break after a hillclimb attempt
    Pic 2: We are not even near the top and you can see how much snow our sleds are pushing out of the way to get thru
    Pic 3: Mike on right with an awesome climb for a Renegade, Jeff to left on his way down from a good climb almost making it to the top
    Pic 4: We went back down to the trucks for a mid afternoon break (we only went half way up the mountain for our morning ride) before heading up to the top again for some more serious powder riding. My sled in background and Jeff's Yammy up front
    Pic 5: Break's over at the truck's but I needed a break again trying to make my way to 11,000 feet

would a 1.5" paddle 121" (800) even have a prayer out there? (Not necessarily 5' of fresh pow, but under "normal" mountain conditions) just wondering if I'd be further ahead renting. thanks

Prowrench,
    Alot of it has to do with the rider, remember long track sleds have not been around forever but mountain riding has... Honestly you could bring your sled out and ride it if there is setup snow, but if you happen to get pounded like we did then I would say rent a mountain sled with the longest track you can find, sneak a turbo on it and have some fun!! O.k gonna post more pics..

Getting closer to being done I promise!!
    Pic 1: Jeff doing a nice long hillclimb
    Pic 2: Still going up
    Pic 3: Yammy made it as far as she would go
    Pic 4: I took my sled up the right side of that big pine tree (at right of pic) and back down the left side - you can see the depth of snow my Renegade was tackling
    Pic 5: Awesome shot of Mike on his Ski-doo Backcountry, well thats what kind of sled is under all that snow anyway

More, more, more!!!
    Pic 1: Two mega long track Arctic Cats buried in super freshy!!! They actually said they didn't need help getting out, trust me its all for one and one for all in these kind of conditions - always offer help!!!
    Pic 2: Group of sleds at bottom of hillclimb area - It took me 3 attemps with my 600 E-Tec 137" but I made it to the top, well my sled made it, I jumped off and floored the throtle to shoot my sled over the top cause it was starting to get sucked in and get stuck
    Pic 3: A long track sled making the climb
    Pic 4: Mike on his Renegade effortlessly laying it over on its side
    Pic 5: O.k Mike's starting to show off now!!

Awesome!

WOW, truly Epic snow conditions. Awesome.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

About 10-15 more thats it...
    Pic 1: Another of Mike playing in a meadow
    Pic 2: Mike taking a well needed break in "armpit" deep powder
    Pic 3: Mike and I decided to go back down to 8,500 feet where the powder was alittle more managable for our renegade's and we saw a small untouched meadow so we decided to get some fun carving pics. Here's me laying mine on it side pretty good
    Pic 4: Me doing a little carving
    Pic 5: Another of me doing circle's around a big pine tree

Bla, Bla, Bla!!
    Pic 1: Can you believe my Renegade would push thru that much powder - I can't!!
    Pic 2: Just a pic of my sled
    Pic 3: Mike's turn to play
    Pic 4: Another of Mike on a nice carve
    Pic 5: Just a pic of Mike and his Renegade

Last 5 pics!!
    Pic 1: Me setting up for some carving
    Pic 2: This is my last blast thru powder for the trip - what memories!!
    Pic 3: Mike with his last time playing
    Pic 4: Mike blasts thru some powder and shows again how much snow there was even at this lower elevation
    Pic 5: This was in the truck ride away from the mountain range we were riding on - you can see how it is socked in with clouds/heavy snow. This is the way it looked our whole trip.
    Unbelievable fun!!!! Can't wait to go back in March!!! Anyone wanna go? I know where to find a small amount of snow, Ha-Ha.
    Last edited by skeedoo; 02-22-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Wow I dream that kinda snow, Great pic's

Wow!http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/att...0&d=1266859236
    It's like you guys weren't even there the day before....

Amazing!! I would've found it hard to go home after riding like that.

Default Wow

Wow Wow Wow!
    Awesome Shots!
    Thanks for sharing.....
    Sure would like to try that a few times.

The picture of when Mike was stuck was DA- impressive!....How long were you hang'n around in the roof top's?... you guy's should have dread lock's by the take on the short Novel !
    By the look's of it id be willing to ride a ski-doo !..let me know what i'm doo-in wrong?
    lol !..seriously ! great job !

Rock on! How could it ever get better? Only way it get's better is to do it again!

Skeedoo, Thanks for sharing all the great pics. Absolutely amazing conditions. Looks like your gang had a trip of a lifetime!

Burlington,WI in summer Lake Linden,Mi in winter

great pics that look like the same snow we ran into in the snowies it was just plain sick each day just got deeper and deeper.

Thanks for the responses!! It really was the trip of a lifetime. Trust me it was REALLY, REALLY hard to leave but I had to get home for some business stuff (which is rare because I have winters off but had to get home for a promotional trade show). Fireman35 it looks like you guys had a blast in the Snowies at the same time we were out west. That whole range from Rabbit Ears to the Snowy's got hammered over the time we were there, and was still getting it after we left. Its funny I have been home for a week now and this trip is still on my mind all day and I am having problems going to sleep because I can't shut off my brain from thinking about how I have to get back A.S.A.P!!!! Seriously one of the most addicting things I have ever done. I feel spoiled and hope to have those conditions everytime but I know that will be tough to duplicate. When we ride the U.P we chase heavy snows when they hit, but thats alittle harder to do when it happens out west because its 1200 miles to get there, but I think that is what I'm gonna start to do.

Holy Double WOW!!

nice..lucky..

I have not been able to sleep the past 2 nights since I saw these pictures.

Any idea what it costs to rent a 700-900cc long track (154" or longer)? I would love to do this but there's no way I'd bring my trail sled out! And I assume you're running with a guide?? What do they generally charge?

Skeedoo, that's awesome, thanks for posting. I rode in the San Juan Mts. back in December and I think back to that trip every day still. Seeing your pics brings back memories and makes the steep and deep itch even worse!

prowrench, you can definetly do the Mts. on your 121, you will however be limited, just dont drop off below the trail.

Polarisman- I did it alone last December and with a little reasearch, a couple phone calls and emails to dealers, snowmobile clubs, and the local US forest service office I was able to have a great time. On my last day I hooked up with a couple locals trailside who even guided us around a little bit.

wow nice pics!

We are all jealous of the ride don't get me wrong....but there would be a lot more riding pics if you were on a POLARIS! Good times though

cool pis thanks

Awesome pics... me and a few of my buddies are headed out to the Grand Mesa this thursday... one M1000 and three 2010 renegade backcountry 800's...

How did Mike setup his backcountry suspension to handle that deeeeep pow??