Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scottiking View Post
    WOW that is looking SAWEET!
    X2

Your doing a FABULOUS job!!!

Are you your going to want to auction it off....................kidding! It's coming together quite quickly.

Holy smokes Snoluver1! I honestly don't know how you do it. This is like a weeks worth of work done in one shot. In previous posts, you had showed some photos of mock-ups but this is the real deal. It's all permanent now.

Like you, Im thinking that with a little tweaking, a fresh, slightly bored out 340 in a 300 lb. trail sled will handle the gearing just fine. There might be a very slight difference when coming out of the hole but think of the top end!

Excellent work!!!! You're getting oh so close to "Fire in the Hole".

I have some bad news to report. I went to put the skid in and it wasn't cooperating. I couldn't get the the rear mount to line up. A quick look at the old rails and it was pretty obvious what the problem was. DOHH!

[IMG][/IMG]

Not a huge problem and all Skiroule's hard work will not be wasted. Most if not all the components are interchangeable except the rails. A set back time wise none the less.
    I knew that chain case and drive shaft went WAY too smoothly! LOL.

This is a really disappointing find. I’m usually a pretty positive person but when I make mistakes that have effects beyond my own personal discomfort and inconvenience it upsets me.

I pulled this suspension off a 75’ or 76’ T’NT F/A chassis. I didn’t look at the plate but I know it was at least a 75’ because they moved the front idlers inboard in 75’. It never crossed my mind that the F/As ran a shorter track but various bits and pieces on the web suggest that the F/As ran a 114” track versus the 124” on the fans. Looking at the photo, this looks to account for the difference in rail length.
    Yes, everything but the rails is interchangeable but it’s a couple of hours to tear down and a couple of more for reassembly, not to mention the rail cleanup. The real problem is hyfax. I compounded the problem by taking back the extra set of new hyfax. I can have these back in IL on Wed. but that really equates to five days lost on the suspension install.

I suppose one could take the position that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it but that’s no excuse for not doing the homework. I’ll get the hyfax sent out on Monday.

No need to be hard on yourself Skiroule. Just a little hurdle is all. For the most part, I think this project has been pretty darn smooth running. When your dealing with antiquated equipment, and you can't just stop by the dealer to pick up what you need, these obstacles are to be expected. Like you said, it ain't easy!

I'll have it together pretty quick. You already did all the time consuming stuff on it. It wont take too long to tear it down and get her back together.

Son of B....!!! Well what would a project be without one of those moments. We've all had them, and it's usually something so obvious/stupid you can't believe you did it. LOL

Skiroule, don't sweat it, with all your hard work on this project your "off the hook."

Well, my wife can certainly confirm that I’m no stranger to dumb things but these usually involve a lack of concentration. Things like: making a deposit at a bank where I didn’t have an account, paying for my food at a drive-thru and driving off, and so on (although we’ve never figured out the “billfold in the refrigerator” incident – guess I needed cold cash).

It’s good to get a “pass” on the project snafu but if the cameras would have been rolling in MN last night for a project documentary, there would have been quite a bit of bleeping.

Extra hyfax has been dropped off at UPS and should arrive Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by skiroule View Post
    Things like: making a deposit at a bank where I didn’t have an account, paying for my food at a drive-thru and driving off, and so on (although we’ve never figured out the “billfold in the refrigerator” incident – guess I needed cold cash).
    Those are all pretty funny! It wouldn't be a project of this size without something coming up, and it could sure be much worse!! You guys are doing a fantastic job and I enjoy following your progress. I'm very impressed, that's for sure!

I had a little set back last weekend myself, while buffing the hood I tried to take out a dirt nib in a tough spot and ended up burning thru an edge . So back to the booth I went ,but it was worth it cause when ever you cut and re-clear it just give you depth you can't get any other way. tomorrow I have to rivit in the heat shields and of to snoluver it goes, Next weekend the stickers can be put on and by then at the rate snoluver is going we 'll be able to mount it and take some good pics of the sled.2012-02-11_12-44-35_167.jpg2012-02-11_12-44-52_390.jpg2012-02-11_12-45-26_364.jpg2012-02-11_12-45-36_889 (1).jpg

Phazerpilot, I thought it looked good before but this is something else! You're right about the depth. I almost want to start using the word "custom". I love the reflection on the one shot - mark of laying it down well I say. The black vents are going to look really cool set into the yellow side stripe - will have sort of a "Mako" effect

The heat shields do seem a little "over-engineered" but there's sure no danger of breaking one when you re-install them.

NICE, NICE....

Holy smokes phazerpilot! That thing looks GREAT!!!

This is an incredible project gentlemen!
    Way above and beyond the call of duty.
    This sled will be so much better than the day it came off the "line",...
    Totally Awesome.

Awesome job guys!!
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Has there ever been another thread with 14,000+ views???? Great job on the restore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trailshredder View Post
    Has there ever been another thread with 14,000+ views???? Great job on the restore!!!
    I agree!!!! I check this thread every day before anything else on the net. I've really enjoyed watching the progress and can't wait for the final result. I had a thread like this a year+ ago when I rebuilt my wife's M8 from scratch but I didn't have nearly the detail about the process or magnitude of pics. I'm floored...and hope the sled is raffled instead of auctioned so a regular guy like me can have a shot at owning such a beautiful machine.

Phazerpilot stopped by this afternoon with the hood. All I can say is WOW!!
    You guys will have to trust me when I say that my crappy pictures do this paint work absolutely NO justice! This paint looks so deep and wet it is just ridiculous! You really have to see it in person to appreciate it, but here are a few wet your whistle shots anyway.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

It's clear to me that the guys that are really logging the man hours (I think I'll call them the Illinois Boys) are not cutting corners just to buy some time. Not only will this make the machine a greater value for it's new owner, it will hopefully produce more revenue for the intended cause.

Regardless of how the eventual owner is awarded the sled, it will be something special.
    I took these quotes from one of my posts a few weeks back. I think these pictures support my case.

I wonder how many people besides me are staring at the shot from behind the handlebars and just thinkin'.......

You ain't kidding "WOW"

Got the skid back together...with the correct rails this time-LOL!
    Rest assured Skiroule, it wasn't too bad. A couple hours to blast and polish the rails, but once that was done it only took about an hour to get everything switched over. Since I didn't need to go through everything and clean parts, I was able to just switch everything over in chunks of sub-assemblies without having to take it all apart. So we are back on track with that anyway.

Also got the controls cleaned up and polished and installed those, along with the switches Skiroule sent.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

looks great to all those involved in the restore.

This would make a great story for one of the snowmobile mags out there.

I'm thinking the poo in the pics. is next! looking great guys.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! I know it's helped me dig a little harder on more than one occasion.

And thanks for covering me on the skid, snoluver1. I'll play for your team any day.

It looks like you've put some effort into cleaning up the handlebar pad. If you haven't got too much into it and you're interested, I found one on the last outing that is in a little better shape. It still has some sun stress but no big tears. Maybe your upholstery connection or a thread viewer knows of some kind of vinyl spray that can gloss it up. I used to use something to change the color of vinyl interiors (think it was called Vinyl Bond). Maybe there is something like that still around. Also have an extra tach that I can send just in case the one you have doesn't work.

I seem to end up with this stuff because I just can't pass up what I think are usable parts. I look like a squirrel preparing for winter every time I come out of the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    I'm thinking the poo in the pics. is next! looking great guys.
    My thought exactly!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! I know it's helped me dig a little harder on more than one occasion.

And thanks for covering me on the skid, snoluver1. I'll play for your team any day.

It looks like you've put some effort into cleaning up the handlebar pad. If you haven't got too much into it and you're interested, I found one on the last outing that is in a little better shape. It still has some sun stress but no big tears. Maybe your upholstery connection or a thread viewer knows of some kind of vinyl spray that can gloss it up. I used to use something to change the color of vinyl interiors (think it was called Vinyl Bond). Maybe there is something like that still around. Also have an extra tach that I can send just in case the one you have doesn't work.

I seem to end up with this stuff because I just can't pass up what I think are usable parts. I look like a squirrel preparing for winter every time I come out of the yard.
    I never did get back with you. My brother would not part with his Skiroule patch collection. He claims most of them are replicas.

Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    I never did get back with you. My brother would not part with his Skiroule patch collection. He claims most of them are replicas.
    Fair enough - I did find a really cool RTX shirt on Ebay. Of course I won't wear it for fear of getting it dirty.

I tell ya Skiroule, when I put that pad on there, I think I threw up in my mouth a little! Even though its better than the one I had, it still just really takes away from the rest of the sled. To compound the problem, its a major focal point which would be hard to ignore when your sitting on the machine.
    I also had the thought of asking the upholstery guy if there is anything he can do with it, but I'm not sure there is really anything that can be done.
    If you have a better one yet, I would sure like to try it.
    Maybe someone can give us some ideas on what we can do with it? Its just the rubber is so deteriorated I don't know that spraying something over it would help any.

I now have the doo, a poo, and a kitty in the garage. I think the next one might have to be a yami--eh?
    Last edited by snoluver1; 02-14-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: cuz I suck at english

Also, with the tach, I noticed the other day that its a little different from my speedo. Mine has a chrome trim ring and is quite a bit thinner than the tach you gave me. I wonder if it would be worth trying to find a matching speedo, or is the second tach you have more in line with what I have?
    Last edited by snoluver1; 02-14-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: cuz

skiroule, if it just suffering from sun fade i can spray it with interior paint we use on dashboards and vinyl trim parts.

Tell you what guys, I'll send it down and if anything can be done with it, great. My hunch is that it is too deteriorated and if so, I'm with you on the fact that it looks much better without the pad. After all, a lot of the late models don't worry about hiding the wiring and I really like the chopper style handlebars without any trim.

No squirrel jokes, but I just went out to the shed and I see that I have a matching tach and speedo. These both have gun metal grey trim. They were in one of the hoods I picked up.
    Last edited by skiroule; 02-14-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Tachometer & speedometer shipped out today and will get there Thurs. They're actually in pretty good shape - just need a light cleanup. Let's hope they're both functional. I’m not using “speedo” anymore. I know some of you out there were turning purple fighting off the urge to make a comment about me having a “matching speedo”. Not a pretty image.

Took a long look at the handlebar pad this morning and decided it just wasn’t good enough to make it look like new again and that isn’t consistent with everything else on this sled. I’m still voting for the “clean” look with the bare bars. Members, any thoughts?

Hyfax will get there tomorrow. I think I mentioned it but the pre-drilled holes are different on each end. Very important to use the correct set – I’m not saying how I know. I just know.

You guys ROCK !!!!!!! That thing looks amazing !!!.. I looked at the Pic's in the first post and its incredible what you've done to the old girl.

As far as the Handlebar pad.... Leave it off.....But give it to the LUCKY SOB who endss up with that Beauty and let them decide weather or not they want it on.

Nice job Gentlemen !!!!!!!!!!!!...........!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the skid back in. A little tip for anyone out there that might be headed down this road with a vintage machine, you can NOT get the skid in with the limiter strap hooked up. I finally figured that out after a half a day of messing around, scratching my head, measuring components, and making up new swear words! Once it dawned on me to unbolt the limiter strap, I had the thing mounted in about 10 minutes! Another live and learn moment I guess.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I also got the rat's nest of wiring straighted out and looking pretty. I went through everything, repaired any problem areas, and got the harness installed.

I'm really not sure what looked worse, the handle bar pad or the exposed wiring. I noticed when I was doing the tear down, that anywhere the factory used a zip tie, there was a wrap of electrical tape underneath. I did the same, but I'm not sure about the looks. Here is the view from the bars. Let me know what you guys think?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by snoluver1; 02-16-2012 at 10:03 PM.

I would stay with it without the pad for now. Who's to say that a pad for this machine won't just drop in your lap sometime? Or in the lap of whoever the lucky new owner is? This machine is really looking great- can't imagine all you guys have been through and learned on this project. This is one you guys c an tell the grand-kids about.

Snoluver1, as usual, it's top notch work. It had been a little quiet so I knew you were up to something. The suspension/track setup looks so good.

I hate to rub salt in the wounds but you need to check your email. I think you'll find one in there from a few days back about unhooking the limiter strap

I think the wiring looks fine, but then I'm probably prejudiced. One thing I noticed when you had the hood on is that you can see the gauges so much better with the pad off if you're cruising in easy rider mode.

Won't be long now til' it's on its feet.

P.S. Sledboy, the grandkids might very well appreciate it someday but I can tell you that my wife is really into this project. I have to let her know every time there is a new series of photos.

I hate to rub salt in the wounds but you need to check your email. I think you'll find one in there from a few days back about unhooking the limiter strap
    This is coming from the guy that had the wrong suspension. How soon he forgets.

The one thing that continues to strike me about this sled is the extra effort that is going into making it as close to perfect as possible. I've seen some high-buck restorations this winter and I can't say they have an edge on this sled.
    Last edited by skiroule; 02-16-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Sorry Skiroule, I didn't see an e-mail from you recently. Unless it inadvertently got erased, the last one I had was when you said you had shipped the switches. Are you saying you tried to forewarn me of this blunder I found myself in for several hours??

I fought that thing like a bull. I had so much rigging out you would think I was trying to sail a scooner... ratchet straps, floor jacks, screw jacks, blocks of wood, 2x4's. I was even thinking about breaking out the block and tackle-LOL. I finally took a step back and decided to sit and stare at it for a while. After about 2 "sodas" worth of staring and trying to regain my composure, the light bulb finally went off. "Hey dummy, you can't get that arm up cuz the limiter is working against you"!! LOL

SL1, you made my day with this last one! Had tears of laughter reading this. I've been there. Had jacks, come-alongs, sleds hooked to sleds, whatever...and yes, the sodas do help.

Its been a long time since I've had to go through and old Tillotson, but once I got her opened up, it all came roaring back to me. I was having flashbacks of blowing on fuel lines to get her primed up, one piece snowsuits getting sucked into air horns, and going through three sets of plugs before you even made it out of the yard.

I was a bit disappointed in the "overhaul kit" I purchased. Turns out you get your parts for an American made carburetor from frigging Taiwan! Needless to say, I opted to clean and reuse more of the original hardware than I replaced with new. I basically only replaced what I had no choice over.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I did discover a little mystery during the rebuild. I'm curious if there are any Tillotson guru's out there that can help shed some light. There are two spacers on the mounting flange. One thick plastic, and one thinner steal. The steal one has a gap cut out of it. Its obvious that someone took the time to carefully cut this gap, and its purpose is to be a "metered" air leak. The thing is, I can't find any reference to, or pictures of this spacer with a gap cut out. I dug into some old manuals and checked a condensed service data table that lists every Ski-doo's original carb part number from 1962 to 1982.
    This machine originally came with a HD148-A Tillotson. Mine is a HD27-A. Not one Ski-Doo is listed for this carb as original equipment. So I'm wondering if this gap was a "MOD" needed to install this carb on the sled? It just makes me a little nervous seeing an air leak that will lean the air fuel ratio. I know the sled ran before with this spacer installed, but it also had a partially blown head gasket, slightly scored piston and signs of detonation on the old piston. Not uncommon issues for a 35 year old air cooled engine, but like I said it just makes me nervous that I can't find any info on it. Anybody seen this before?

[/IMG][/IMG]

I have never seen anything like that, but if you think the gap was cut in the spacer after the fact, I would try to get another spacer or have one cut at a machine shop without the gap and try that first. What is the order in which all this goes together? How many gaskets are involved here?

The order of installation is : gasket, plastic spacer, gasket, steal spacer, gasket, carburetor.
    In other words, the steal spacer is sandwiched between 2 gaskets, with the gap being an engineered "leak" in the sealing surface.

Very odd indeed! I'm wondering if this particular carb which is apparently not stock equipment, has a lesser cfm rating and the gap is to provide extra air???
    Last edited by snoluver1; 02-19-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Shoot an email to Ski-Doo, they might still have an old timer there that will know.

Well, after some extensive Internet searching, the only info I can come up with is this carb is originally off an early 70's Cat motor.
    Maybe our resident Cat expert can dig through his memory banks. Hey ezra, where you at? Any memories of the early cats running this spacer??

Default Handlebar pad

Quote Originally Posted by phazerpilot View Post
    skiroule, if it just suffering from sun fade i can spray it with interior paint we use on dashboards and vinyl trim parts.
    X2 My Father-in-law owned his own body shop and you'd be surprised what you can make new again. Let Phazerpilot take a stab at it.

my two cents.

This has been great to follow!

Carb spacer mystery is solved. The notch is for the primer nipple. Seems this is an aftermarket primer set up. I assumed the primer hooked up to a nipple on the carb flange itself, but the nipple has been removed and a bolt inserted in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by mn_polaris_guy View Post
    X2 My Father-in-law owned his own body shop and you'd be surprised what you can make new again. Let Phazerpilot take a stab at it.

my two cents.

This has been great to follow!
    Yeah, what the heck. If I get some time Friday I'll send it down. Worst case, snoluver1 can use it as a set of horns the next time he has to put in a suspension.

P.S. Good news on the mystery cut.

Jeez Skiroule, you had me worried. I was starting to wonder if I had lost my "wingman".
    Were you out playing in the snow somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by snoluver1 View Post
    Were you out playing in the snow somewhere?
    Wouldn't that be nice? Nope, been a little distracted by work - pretty long hours lately but I'm staying loose. Doin' a little jabbin', bobbin', and weavin' just in case the coach sends me in.

With some help from some knowledgeable folks over at dootalk, I got the carb issue straightened out. I was able to eliminate that goofy spacer altogether and just add a pressed in primer nipple to the carb flange. I feel much more comfortable with this set up. I got the flange drilled for the new nipple and put that back together today.

[MIG][/MIG][MIG][/MIG]

I have also been working on the exhaust all week. Quite the process, between blasting, 4 coats of paint and a 3 stage cure procedure in the oven. I still have to make up a bracket for the Y pipe springs and pick up some new vibration isolator mounts, but the major work is done with the exhaust.

I not sure the wife appreciated what I was cooking for dinner-LOL!

all I have to say is WOW!

So now do you cook that exhaust at about prime rib temp?

It's weird, I just didn't remember the Y-pipe springs on most of the salvage yard sleds. I'm thinking it was either a 340 thing or maybe a later model solution. Looking back on one of your original photos, the springs were just hooked the holes in the cooling shroud. Was that just a "hack" solution?

I've tried to get those vibration pads off when I was scavenging for exhaust parts. I think they build the chassis around them. They are just not meant to come off.

Really like that big silver pipe!
    Last edited by skiroule; 02-22-2012 at 10:58 PM.

My recipe called for 30 minutes at 250* then let cool. 30 minutes at 400* then let cool. 30 minutes at 600* and cool. It was all going just fine till we hit the 600 mark. Then it was open all the windows in the house and get fans blowing on all the smoke detectors to get them to shut up. Apparently, the 600 mark is when you start to cook the oil out of the inside of the pipe. The wife was not happy!!
    I only did the y pipe and flanges as the pipe itself wouldn't fit in the oven. That will have to be done with engine heat, but there is a procedure for that as well.

Yup, the springs where previously hacked. There is supposed to be a bracket which is bolted to the cooling shroud to keep the springs from rubbing on the shroud. Easy enough to make one up. I already "acquired" a piece of scrap steel for the job.
    Last edited by snoluver1; 02-26-2012 at 11:11 AM.

this machine is coming around nicely!!

Sent a different handlebar pad out today to see if Phazerpilot could do anything with it. I think it's a long shot but maybe, as a member suggested, it could just be sent along with the sled and let the new owner decide. If it's not up to the standards of the sled, I still vote "nay" on putting it on the sled.

I'll tell ya what Skiroule, I don't know where this project would be without your contributions. I was test fitting the hood today to see where the wiring harness has to be routed (another previous hack job) and I ran into a snag. The hood wasn't closing right and the latches weren't lining up properly. For the life of me I can't see any difference in this hood from the original, but I could see the hood needed to come forward about 3/4's of an inch.
    Well, thanks to your foresight to send along the hinges from the machine you took the hood off, I was able to find my 3/4's of an inch. The hinges are different!

[IMG][/IMG]

To use a phrase from "my generation", 3/4 inch would be "close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades" (but probably not for hinges).

If you say everything lines up, there's no doubt in my mind that it does. Glad to hear it.

Got some odds and ends done.

Man, that is looking better each time we get new pic's! It looks like it's rolling down the assembly line and is brand new. Has a final decision been made on auctioning it off vs. selling raffle tickets? I thought I read where John said an auction.

Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    Man, that is looking better each time we get new pic's! It looks like it's rolling down the assembly line and is brand new. Has a final decision been made on auctioning it off vs. selling raffle tickets? I thought I read where John said an auction.
    No definite decision as far as I know. I kinda figured I would leave that up to the man in charge.

Holy Crapola!!! Odds and Ends? Not sure what would be considered "big stuff".

Awesome job on the decals! It's like the vision is really coming into focus. As some have said, it will be better than the day it rolled off the line (and you might not even speak french).

WOW!!!! You guys have done awesome work on this sled definitely something to be proud of !!

Great Job on the decals (and everything else) going on!! You guys have turned a project into a passion of perfection!!

Looks phenominal and will make someone a very happy owner some day!!

Everyone involved should feel some pretty amazing pride with this puppy.

CONGRATS!

snoluver, great job on the decals, i will be out of town for the next 10 days but when i get back i will call to see if the ski's a ready for paint and look at skiroule's bar pad to see what i can do to it.
    Last edited by phazerpilot; 02-28-2012 at 10:14 PM.

wow, you guys are getting close, very exciting. Kinda like watching OCC build. When you gonna fire up? Probably need a video for the big unveil!

Quote Originally Posted by phazerpilot View Post
    snoluver, great job on the decals, i will be out of town for the next 10 days but when i get back i will call to see if the ski's a ready for paint and look at skiroule's bar pad to see what i can do to it.
    Oh crap, I finally got the skies done last night. I got one of them done at work but it took forever in our blaster. I sent the other one off to Mfire8 and he called last night to say it was done. Was hoping to have them to you for the weekend. Oh well, it will just have to wait.

Lenny, I should be ready to fire by the weekend. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a video.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Oh crap, I finally got the skies [sic] done last night. I got one of them done at work but it took forever in our blaster. I sent the other one off to Mfire8 and he called last night to say it was done. Was hoping to have them to you for the weekend. Oh well, it will just have to wait.

Lenny, I should be ready to fire by the weekend. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a video.
    So after the paint job you'll have "Blue Skies"? Makes for great sleddin'!

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    So after the paint job you'll have "Blue Skies"? Makes for great sleddin'!
    11 pages and thats all ya caught me on? You could have had a field day with this thread! English speak me good!

So is it skis or ski's? The ski's aren't showing possession, so it must be skis --right?

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

11 pages and thats all ya caught me on? You could have had a field day with this thread! English speak me good!

So is it skis or ski's? The ski's aren't showing possession, so it must be skis --right?
    Skis it is!

Snoluver1, it's sort of a badge of distinction to be skewered by Sir Nash. I think that a good share of the time he just doesn't think it's worth the effort. Like you, most people take it in stride but some really get their undies in a bunch. Or is it undis?

Re-focusing now... A video would be cool. It would be the next best thing to being there, even if you followed the formula of most "reality" shows and just staged the "first" fire-up.

I'm sure this has occurred to you already but I suppose you could use your old skis/spindles as a mock up so you could get it on its feet and running.

I've been checking off things that you've finished and I have to believe your list is finally down to one page. This has to be a good feeling!

Its like your reading my mind from behind that computer screen Skiroule. I ain't gona let no stinken skis keep me from firing the old girl up. I am oh so close!
    Its funny though, I was thinking about your "assemblethon" idea, and although it was good in theory and would have been fun getting together, I can see now where it just wouldn't have worked. There are so many small details that come up throughout the assembly process. You just don't realize how time consuming its going to be until you start bolting stuff together.

Case in point: throw in some new brake pads and bolt on the caliper---not! 2 night project between disassembly, clean up, paint and install.
    I don't know if she goes just yet, but I know she'll stop!

Last edited by snoluver1; 03-01-2012 at 01:23 PM.

You're probably right about the "assemblethon" but maybe I didn't fully explain my role, that being to spearhead the beverage consumption effort. I don't believe I made any claims that I would actually speed up the process.

Looking at the whole caliper assembly, it reinforces my impression of the engineers out of Valcourt in the 70's. They liked parts. What's amazing is that when they're all put together, it all seems to make sense.

P.S. Phazerpilot out of town for 10 days - Business trip? Maybe, maybe not. Can't imagine what else he would be doing though.

Awesome job!!!

Scottiking OUT

… throw in some new break [sic] pads and bolt on the caliper---not! …
    Break pads … not? I guess not, wouldn't want 'em broken!
    (That's two.)
    Seriously, you're doing a fantabulous job with this project, if not with yer spellin'! )

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    Break pads … not? I guess not, wouldn't want 'em broken!
    (That's two.)
    Seriously, you're doing a fantabulous job with this project, if not with yer spellin'! )
    This would be why I'm a mechanic and not a mechanical engineer-lol

I made up the Y-pipe spring bracket and got the torque stop painted and installed.

Front vent decals are on. I opted to leave the pin striping off for now. In my opinion, it is kind of gaudy, (I'm not sure on that one Nash, but goddy sure didn't look right) and I think it really takes away from phazerpilot's beautiful paint work. I will give the pin stripe kit along with the sled and let the new owner decide if they want to install it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Taillight is in.

[IMG][/IMG]

She should be puffin smoke by tomorrow afternoon!!
    Last edited by snoluver1; 03-02-2012 at 09:17 PM.

looks fantastic!! brings back memories of my dad's sled. same one... plus a ski doo silver bullet. fun times back then.

Default T-24:00:00?

Thanks for the latest photos! You can't imagine how much I look forward to them and I suspect I'm not alone.

Now that I see your fabricated bracket, I do remember running across them on salvage sleds. I just never gave them much thought, not knowing that they really had a special purpose.

I agree with you on the pinstriping. If not gaudy, I think it would look a little too "busy" and detract from the paint job. It's funny how little things make a difference but I think the orange vent decals add just the right amount of accent.

My wife and I were just talking about this very project tonight, which is not unusual since it does come up fairly regularly in our conversations. We just can't get over your dedication and determination to see this through to an exceptional conclusion.

Light er' up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 600rev View Post
    brings back memories of my dad's sled. same one... plus a ski doo silver bullet. fun times back then.
    Ah, the Silver Bullet...Probably one of the more under-appreciated sleds of the 70's. They were pretty cool and a one-off model.

Sorry guys. Its a no go for today. Carb issues. I suspect possibly Taiwan is to blame. She'll pop off the prime, but won't stay running. I am out of time as I have to head in to work tonight. Disappointing to say the least.

What you're saying though, is that it that it actually RAN!! This is a big deal. Just having spark and timing is a major achievement.

I actually had it running twice for about two minutes. Timing seems good, as a couple jabs of the throttle and the response was good. Then she just ran out of fuel, and I'm seeing air bubbles in the line.

I actually had it running twice for about two minutes. Timing seems good, as a couple jabs of the throttle and the response was good. Then she just ran out of fuel, and I'm seeing air bubbles in the line.
    I think this is pretty funny. Spoken like a true sledder - none of this wimpy "let it idle for a while and see what happens". Let's crack that throttle and see what she'll do.

Running for two minutes? I've known marriages that haven't lasted that long. Carb issues aside, I can tell you that if I got an engine to fire up that hadn't been run for a decade, there would also be bubbles in the champagne (or at least the beer).

Well Done!

I appreciate your optimism Skiroule. You're a good influence on me! I have a bad habit of jumping to The "half empty" mindset sometimes. It's true, an accomplishment has been made And we're getting closer and closer to a finished product.
    Last edited by snoluver1; 03-04-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Well, my suspicions of Taiwan crap parts have been confirmed. I found one of the diaphragm gaskets was cut incorrectly and partially blocking off the pulse passage. I trimmed the gasket and she started pumping fuel.
    Now I have the exact opposite problem. The carb is flooding out. The piece of crap overhaul kit manufactured by SPI, had a different needle and seat, so I had to reuse the original. The threads were cut wrong on the low and high speed jets, so I had to reuse the originals. The welch plugs were made of aluminum instead of steel, and it didn't come with a inlet needle gasket. Basically the only usable parts out of the entire overhaul kit were the diaphragm set, and even that gave me problems. Long story short, any one of these components could be causing the problem. Basically, what it comes down to is I have one of two options: find a different overhaul kit with the correct parts (MADE IN AMERICA), or find a Mikuni carb and swap it out. Either case, its going to take some time to get this situation resolved.

The good news is, I know the engine WILL run, as soon as I get the fueling issue straightened out.

SL1, Don't know if it would help but I know for a fact that I can get my hands on a stock Doo Tillotson (Don't know if it's an HD or an HR). The catch is that it's on a 440 so might be jetted a little heavy. Probably a more common model than what you're dealing with though.

If it would help, say the word. I think I could get it to you this week. Otherwise, lots of Mikuni's on VintageSleds.

Tell you what Skiroule, give me one more night to mess around with the one I have, and let me see if I can find the smoking gun. If I can't determine for sure whats causing the problem, it might be worth changing it out. This carb I have seems to be a bit of a misfit, and I have already determined it is not OEM. An HR is much more popular, and I think there are several different suppliers with rebuild kits for them.
    The other side of the coin is the people "in the know" suggest the best thing you can do for these old Rotax motors is to hang a Mikuni on it. I suppose it would come down to cost and hassle of changing to Mikiuni, versus cost of a different Tillotson plus another rebuild kit.

Personally I like the Mikuni's. Simple and effective. Some people differ - the biggest rap seems to be that they are somewhat prone to getting dirty. Seems like fuel filters and air filters would solve that problem.

Standing by.

I think I found one smoking gun. I drove one of the welch plugs a little too deep and I think its leaking. I can't blame that one on Taiwan, totally my fault. I'm not sure if thats the only issue, but its all I could find that would definitely cause a flooding issue. I guess its worth trying to find another plug and see what happens. The hunt is on!

Hopefully the plug is the source.

I did discover something tonight when I went out to check the inventory. The carb I have is, in fact, a Mikuni off a 440 Rotax fan. I just never took a good look at it before. The throttle cable works but it's pretty crappy and the choke cable is frozen (unfortunately). I would think that most Mikuni linkage would fit your flipper and it's pretty common hardware so I think the linkage issue could be overcome

If push comes to shove, you can have it for the standard discount.

BTW, the engine was in a 74 T'NT so I know the throttle cable would fit your flipper.
    Last edited by skiroule; 03-05-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Added year

Thanks Skiroule! I'll let ya know.

Default Its alive!!!!

Burning gas baby!!

It was the welch plug.

I just want to give a big thanks to the good folks at Novotny Sales in Johnsburg IL.
    http://www.novotnysales.com/

My bud Mfire8 called over there and talked with their mechanic Mitch. He said he had some welch plugs laying around in an old box on the shelf, and gave them to us at no cost.
    I picked them up tonight and got it back together. Two pulls and she was breathing fire! I'll try to get a video up tomorrow.
    I'm a very happy camper!! Time to crack a beverage and celebrate!
    Last edited by snoluver1; 03-07-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Really awesome! A round of applause is in order (or maybe just a round).

Excellent! CHEERS!!!!-Mezz

"Snoluvr1, all systems go, you are cleared for take off"
    AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!! Sounds great and looks unbelievable! !!! Well done!!!!
    I bet you want to keep it. lol

Super! That has to be a great feeling to see all of your hard work pay off!!! I'm very impressed and you should be very proud of what you guys have accomplished.

AWESOME!!!!!!!! You guys have done a great job, the work on that sled was done top notch and it shows!

WOW !!!!!!!!.......Sound sweet..... Nice work Gentlemen !!!!!!!

Very Well Done!
    Beautiful Job!

Nice job to everyone. Looks awesome and sounds great!