Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Make-A-Wish sled restoration project.

PB151276.jpgPB151275.jpgPB151277.jpg

So I have been working with John on an idea I have to donate my 1976 Ski-doo TNT 340 fan, for the Make-A-Wish cause. It is currently in pretty rough shape and not worth a whole lot. I'm hoping that with some help from fellow JD members, advertisers and vendors, we can restore this sled to its former glory, and then auction it off at the ride-in. 100% of the proceeds would go to Make-A-wish. John will be sending me the appropriate paper work from Make-A-Wish to make it all legit.

At this stage I am just trying to put a feeler out there to see if there is enough public interest/participation to make this project come together. Unfortunately I can not take on the entire project alone. It would require the generosity of others to become a reality.

So here's the deal: I will be donating the sled, and my time and labor to do a complete ground up restoration. (I am a professional mechanic)What I'm hoping to get is some vendors/businesses to donate parts for the project. Also any individuals who happen to have salvageable parts laying around in the barn or what ever. If people were interested in making a monetary donation, we could probably set up a pay-pal account or something. (I'm new to all this. Trying to learn as I go)

I will take the sled down to the bare frame and recondition or replace every part that I can. There would be a thread on the board to which I will post pictures and text as the project progresses. Any businesses that decide to donate would get a mention with a link to the company's website in the thread. (and obviously a tax deduction)

My ultimate goal will be to have the sled done for this years ride-in date. I realize that with only a little over 2 months to go, this goal may be a little optimistic. It would all depend on the level of participation and turn around time on parts and machine work, etc. If the sled were not complete by the dead line, we could simply auction it off separately when it is done, or save it for next years ride-in.

So there it is in a nut shell, what do you all think? Is it doable? Any salvage yards out there willing to donate? Dennis Kirk? Where's Dennis? Anybody seen Dennis??
    Last edited by snoluver1; 11-17-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snoluver1 View Post
    PB151276.jpgPB151275.jpgPB151277.jpg

So I have been working with John on an idea I have to donate my 1975 Ski-doo TNT 340 fan, for the Make-A-Wish cause. It is currently in pretty rough shape and not worth a whole lot. I'm hoping that with some help from fellow JD members, advertisers and vendors, we can restore this sled to its former glory, and then auction it off at the ride-in. 100% of the proceeds would go to Make-A-wish. John will be sending me the appropriate paper work from Make-A-Wish to make it all legit.

At this stage I am just trying to put a feeler out there to see if there is enough public interest/participation to make this project come together. Unfortunately I can not take on the entire project alone. It would require the generosity of others to become a reality.

So here's the deal: I will be donating the sled, and my time and labor to do a complete ground up restoration. (I am a professional mechanic)What I'm hoping to get is some vendors/businesses to donate parts for the project. Also any individuals who happen to have salvageable parts laying around in the barn or what ever. If people were interested in making a monetary donation, we could probably set up a pay-pal account or something. (I'm new to all this. Trying to learn as I go)

I will take the sled down to the bare frame and recondition or replace every part that I can. There would be a thread on the board to which I will post pictures and text as the project progresses. Any businesses that decide to donate would get a mention with a link to the company's website in the thread. (and obviously a tax deduction)

My ultimate goal will be to have the sled done for this years ride-in date. I realize that with only a little over 2 months to go, this goal may be a little optimistic. It would all depend on the level of participation and turn around time on parts and machine work, etc. If the sled were not complete by the dead line, we could simply auction it off separately when it is done, or save it for next years ride-in.

So there it is in a nut shell, what do you all think? Is it doable? Any salvage yards out there willing to donate? Dennis Kirk? Where's Dennis? Anybody seen Dennis??
    I can ask Sled Salvage 1 (my brothers company) and Pirate Salvage if they will donate parts or I could buy some of the parts and ship to you. Make a list of what you need. You are short on time to pull it off this year.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 11-16-2011 at 07:50 PM.

get that pay pall link up
    I will try to get 2 day waconia vintage passes to go with it

Thanks PR1.
    I haven't started tearing into it yet but some of the major things I know will be needed for starters are : Different hood, (current hood is broken and missing pieces) Head light. Handle bar pad. Engine parts-pistons/rings, gasket set, crank seals, pipe, etc. Also if there are any machine shops out there willing to do the cylinders that would be great. Suspension parts-shocks, springs, skies, skags, etc. Clutch parts- buttons, ramps, springs and bushings if they are even available. This is just some of what I can see right now without even putting a wrench on it yet.

Ezra, I will look into setting up an account. I don't know all the legalities behind that. I will have to do some research. Thanks!

Sounds like a great idea and I hope it works out but, this project is all ready in a time cruch and it hasn't even started. While thinking about it and getting things set up and since the sled isn't worth much in the state its in, you should start tearing it down and bag and tag the parts. This will let you know what needs to be repaired or replaced. Painting and or powder coating might be a tight deadline trying to get to a paint shop. Unless you do the work yourself you also have to make time for wrong parts received or bad or wrong paint work too. I would make an excel sheet with all the items listed. I wish I was closer to help out. LIke I said, sounds like a great idea, this will definetly keep your weekends busy even through the holidays. Goodluck

Thanks PR1.
    I haven't started tearing into it yet but some of the major things I know will be needed for starters are : Different hood, (current hood is broken and missing pieces) Head light. Handle bar pad. Engine parts-pistons/rings, gasket set, crank seals, pipe, etc. Also if there are any machine shops out there willing to do the cylinders that would be great. Suspension parts-shocks, springs, skies, skags, etc. Clutch parts- buttons, ramps, springs and bushings if they are even available. This is just some of what I can see right now without even putting a wrench on it yet.

Ezra, I will look into setting up an account. I don't know all the legalities behind that. I will have to do some research. Thanks!
    My concern is that this project is not like making "Stone" soup. The sled may be to far gone to fix in such short time. I do not have a hood but suspect I have a windsheild and possible a clutch and belt. carb rebuild kit maybe. I will need part numbers for snostuff and stock windshield so I can look thru the 300 plus windshields. Try to get me part numbers and also you need to do an inventory of what can be salvaged. skis's are easy to get. I posted a site on here last year that had access to hundreds of sled microfishe cards for part numbers on old sleds. along with scematics. Anyone remember this topic that I posted it under?

here we go. head to the bottom of page on this site and start searching for part numbers for me. http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/index.html

It very well may be unrealistic to get it done for this year, but like I said, if it doesn't get done there is always next year. Even if it was raffled off some time after the ride-in, the money could still be put in the pot for the following year. I plan on starting the tear down this weekend. I will have a better idea of whats what once I start wrenching. Then I can start getting together a parts list and determine what I can save and what is to far gone.

Keep me informed. I got a huge inventory in my brothers business of fabrication and sled restoration businesses to pull from. We just brought in a 1973 Polaris Colt 175 to restore. We had a 1972 Polaris Colt 175 as kids. Also I am thinking that there may not be enough of a draw for a 1975 340 fanner to make it worth wild. It would be best to have a memory sled or a turning point sled. say like a 1980 Poo Centurian 500 triple, or a Phazer from the first yr. made, or maybe ???? a Coleman, HD, Massy Furgison, or old Viking with purple metallic hood? I for one would bid the snot out of a restored Yamaha Vmax from the first year made with the radiator in the hood.

My thanks to snoluvr1 for taking on this project and my early thanks to those stepping up and wanting to help/or helping so far (polarisrider1, ezra and vic_junior). Sounds like things are off to an encouraging start. Hopefully with more eyes seeing this thread, we can keep the ball rolling. It's for a great cause.

-John

Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    here we go. head to the bottom of page on this site and start searching for part numbers for me. http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/index.html
    Thanks for the link. Through this site I was able to determine the sled is actually a 1976 model produced in Aug of 1975. All these years I thought it was a 75-lol! I'm sure there will be a few more surprises along the way. It also looks like there is a lot of reproduction stuff available. One of the things I was worried about was decals, but they are all available!!
    Last edited by snoluver1; 11-17-2011 at 05:41 PM.

A paypal account for donations to this project would be helpful.I would be more than happy to kick in a few bucks.sound like a great idea!

Donations sent thru a Pay Pal account should be sent as a gift that way you will not be charged the handling fees for receiving the money electonically.

Working with John on getting the paypal account up on the site. There is some logistics involved. Hope to get it up in the next couple days. Thanks all!

Do you still live out by me or did you move?

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf View Post
    Do you still live out by me or did you move?
    Still here, unfortunately. My moving was actually were this whole idea stemmed from. Trying to lighten my load, but I'll be here for a while yet.

If you ever need a hand just let me know. You're in Spring Grove or Mchenry, right?

Mchenry. Ya got any parts laying around??

Hey Snoluver, if you need a shop to work in, the welding shop is always open!

Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    Hey Snoluver, if you need a shop to work in, the welding shop is always open!
    Thanks Frosty! I am going to need a couple things Tig welded.

Just let me know when

Started the tear down saturday.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Once I got the engine out and 35 years worth of crud scraped off, I discovered a nasty little surprise. A big hole in the belly pan that someone had patched. I'll try to make up a better looking patch and weld in it, but I think any dreams of a best of show trophy have officially been squashed. There is quite a bit of damage all over the belly pan that will be difficult to straighten out. I'll do the best I can with it, but there is not much chance of getting it perfect.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So we officially have a carcass. I'll be working on getting a parts list together this week and also want to get the engine torn down and measured up to make sure nothing is to far out of tolerance. Hopefully there is no major surprises in there.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

A page has been set up so that folks can make a donation to the rebuild. You can check it out here:

-John

snoluver ,anything that needs paint work let me know i'll help you out.

That looks like a lawnmower engine!!! You sure thats what was bolted in there.

That belly pan looks like about 4 hours of work to get it welded right. Bondo can do wonders!!!!

Bring it on over when you have about a half a day to spare on it.

Quote Originally Posted by phazerpilot View Post
    snoluver ,anything that needs paint work let me know i'll help you out.
    Thanks for the offer phazerpilot! Do you work in the auto-body industry? I am trying to get the old paint stripped off and am not having much luck. I don't know what kind of paint they used back then but, "Aircraft" stripper won't touch it! I've never come across anything that stuff wouldn't eat through. I've tried scuffing it first and that doesn't seem to help much. Any advise?? I know I could sandblast it and will do that in the tough spots, but it makes a ridiculous mess, and blasting media for aluminum is quite expensive!

Thanks for the offer phazerpilot! Do you work in the auto-body industry? I am trying to get the old paint stripped off and am not having much luck. I don't know what kind of paint they used back then but, "Aircraft" stripper won't touch it! I've never come across anything that stuff wouldn't eat through. I've tried scuffing it first and that doesn't seem to help much. Any advise?? I know I could sandblast it and will do that in the tough spots, but it makes a ridiculous mess, and blasting media for aluminum is quite expensive!
    Could it be powdercoat and not paint?

-John

Bear has been in the Auto body business all his life. From what you said he thinks they might have mixed the paint right in with the fiberglass, try to paint over it is his thought

I'm not sure John. I've noticed any where there is some corrosion that the paint bubbles up and peels right off with the stripper. Was powder coating even around in 1976? I'm thinking its some kind of baked on enamel but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsrunningbear View Post
    Bear has been in the Auto body business all his life. From what you said he thinks they might have mixed the paint right in with the fiberglass, try to paint over it is his thought
    I haven't gotten to the fiberglass yet. Working on the Aluminum belly pan right now.

I'm not sure John. I've noticed any where there is some corrosion that the paint bubbles up and peels right off with the stripper. Was powder coating even around in 1976? I'm thinking its some kind of baked on enamel but I don't know.
    I don't know when powder coating came out. Maybe epoxy paint. I know they had that in the mid 70's. Used it on some marine applications then.

Hopefully someone will have a solution to removing it short of media blasting the whole thing.

-John

Well I've spent every free second I had this week stripping paint. What a chore! I knew it would consume some time, but honestly had no expectation it would be as difficult as it has been. I finally figured out I could get the stripper to work a bit better, by first applying just enough heat to the paint to get it to start to blister. Then I let it cool and applied the stripper. This made it a little better but it still took a LOT of elbow grease. I'm still not completely done but I've got it on the run now!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Looks great! Thanks for all of your hard work on this!

-John

Its my pleasure John! Its actually working out quite well for me. I get to spend all my free time out in the garage playing with a snowmobile, and the wife doesn't give me any grief about it because she knows its for a fantastic cause!

Its my pleasure John! Its actually working out quite well for me. I get to spend all my free time out in the garage playing with a snowmobile, and the wife doesn't give me any grief about it because she knows its for a fantastic cause!
    Let me know when you come up with a part number for a windshield, belt, etc. So I can start digging thru 3 barns of vintage parts. Stock or after market numbers are needed to find anything in there.

My focus this week has been on getting the beat up belly pan straightened out. A big thanks goes out to Josh Pagles, of Harvard IL. Josh donated his time and welding supplies to get the tig welding done. We spent two long nights after work in his garage, forming and shaping the pieces, and getting it all welded back together. Then it was back to my garage for the "easy" part. Grinding, sanding and smoothing out the welds. Its not going to be perfect, but it looks a heck of a lot better than an old beer can riveted over the hole! I also got quite a few of the dents worked out. Still a ways to go before she's ready for paint, but I'm making progress anyway.

Here are some before and after shots:[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]MG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I'm looking into what type of filler I can use on the belly pan and came across this Alsiflex product. http://www.parasolinc.com/Products.a...uctID=ALSIFLEX
    Anyone ever used this stuff?

Just wanted to give a quick reminder that the paypal link has been set up by John on the main page. http://www.johndee.com/snowfest/sledrebuild.htm
    Any donation made would be greatly appreciated! Please remember to specify your donation is for the sled rebuild.

Looks like fun. I can't donate any time so I donated a few bucks.

snoluver ,sorry i have not been on this post for awhile. see that you have got i stripped ,looks like you are dealing with an old epoxy paint ,they get rock hard with age .i have been in the paint biz since 84 spent the last 11yrs as a tech rep for sherwin automotive. where are you in il. I p m'd you my # call me and we 'll work on getting it in color.

Okay guys let's help Snoluver1 out. It is a great cause and he is working hard on this project. He could use some donations of time or money to get this sled ready for the JDee ride in and Make a wish fund raiser.

Thanks for the help guys!

Phazer, I just saw this at 10 pm. I'll give you a call tomorrow. Thanks!

The more help I can get with this, the quicker it can get done. I'm not looking for large donations. If just a small fraction of the almost 15K Johndee members could throw in a few bucks each, we would be in good shape.

I know this particular model snowmobile may not be in high demand from a collector point of view, but I think it will make a fun little toy for someone to take out on vintage rides and such. The fact that its not a museum piece means you actually get to ride it with out too many worries also. Thats my goal here. To make a nice "driver" that someone can have fun with.

Okay guys let's help Snoluver1 out. It is a great cause and he is working hard on this project. He could use some donations of time or money to get this sled ready for the JDee ride in and Make a wish fund raiser.
    Just sent $20.

No trip this weekend so might as well start spending it somewhere. Come on folks it's for a great cause.........CHALLENGE!!

Thanks to all who have donated so far! Phazerpilot has graciously offered to donate the paint supplies for the project, and also offered to do the job in his spray booth, which will be a huge convenience over me spraying it in my garage. Thanks Phazerpilot!!

Aside from the paint products, I have yet to have any luck soliciting parts for the sled. Its looking more and more like the only way this is going to get done is with cash. I have a trolling motor up for sale to help fund the project. Its probably not the best time to be selling a boat accessory but heck, with the way this winter is going so far you just might be able to use it!

Anyway you can view it here: http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/sho...to-Make-A-Wish!!

Man and I thought I was a tight wad. Come on folks step up!!

Quote Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
    Man and I thought I was a tight wad. Come on folks step up!!
    Eagle1, you probably are a tightwad but that's beside the point.

I know when I've taken a glove slap to the face so half a honey bee is on its way. Maybe more later if I can skip the feed trough once in a while. I want to see this thing done!

hopefully more funds will come in. of course, everyone love pics. the more pics, the more people get interested.

Quote Originally Posted by chadlyt View Post
    hopefully more funds will come in. of course, everyone love pics. the more pics, the more people get interested.
    Yeah, pics are good! They take a little time but they do get people fired up. I'm really impressed with all the work that has been done so far.

Maybe this could become an annual thing. Heck, maybe we could have a build-off!

I found a 76 tunnel and belly pan in mint shape. Its in lower MI if you are interested let me know. Looks like a good gas tank too. I would bring it up for a chance to ride some back country with some of you guys.

P1160037.jpg Hang in there you can make it look like this.

Some nice donations have come in this week, but looking at all that needs to be done, they will not cover everything. So any more donations would be greatly appreciated!

-John

Snoluver,
    You've probably already been scouring the websites but if you are still in need of some things, you might want to try a fellow that has several postings of Ski-Doo stuff on vintagesleds.com. His name is D.R. Jones and he's located in Southern MN. Don't know if these guys are very good about answering email but his contact info is as follows:

Ph: 1-507-665-3837
    email: skidoodr@hotmail.com

Also, checkout the website. In one of his posts there is a photo of a bunch of vintage TNTs that look like they might be complete and/or parts machines so if you've hit a wall on some parts, give him a try.

Quote Originally Posted by 8rgade@att.net View Post
    I found a 76 tunnel and belly pan in mint shape. Its in lower MI if you are interested let me know. Looks like a good gas tank too. I would bring it up for a chance to ride some back country with some of you guys.
    Holy bajeebers, I wish you were on here a month ago! I have so much time and effort into the one I have, I would hate to start over now. Even if it is mint, it is still a ton of work just getting the paint off. I could definitely use some parts off it though. The rear trim piece that the snowflap mounts to is broken(although fixable) on mine, and I could use the front bumper if that is still there.
    Also I am searching for a different hood. If anyone has a line on one please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by skiroule View Post
    Snoluver,
    You've probably already been scouring the websites but if you are still in need of some things, you might want to try a fellow that has several postings of Ski-Doo stuff on vintagesleds.com. His name is D.R. Jones and he's located in Southern MN. Don't know if these guys are very good about answering email but his contact info is as follows:

Ph: 1-507-665-3837
    email: skidoodr@hotmail.com

Also, checkout the website. In one of his posts there is a photo of a bunch of vintage TNTs that look like they might be complete and/or parts machines so if you've hit a wall on some parts, give him a try.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

This is the hood I'm looking for. I would try to fix it if I could but the whole left rear corner is missing. If anybody spots one drop me a line please.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

My brother has a bunch of the parts you need. He comes off as a pain in the rear, but He is running a pretty good size sled salvage Co. on his own. And is limited on time. I will meet you if you drive up and work on him to give us a bunch of the stuff you need. He has barns full of sled parts. He has a nice 440 that will bolt right in that is ready to roll. You just happen to need parts that he has not catergorized yet. (Nash I know I missed spelled that one). You will need a few hours to look and it is 3.5 hrs. from Chicago to his place. So plan a full day. You are actually close compared to most who travel for his wears. He stocks the hard to find stuff. Worth a look.

Your brother sounds like a nice enough guy, and he sounds like he really knows his vintage stuff, but he told me flat out he wouldn't look for anything unless I was standing in front of him with cash in hand. Understandable, he is trying to run a business, but from my point, I kinda need some confirmation before I spend 7-8 hours on the road, round trip. Gas ain't exactly cheap. I can't justify driving all the way there, not even knowing for sure if he has anything for me, and also not knowing what kind of coin he is going to want for it.

P1160037.jpg Hang in there you can make it look like this.
    Looks awesome by the way!

Snoluver,

Since I'd rather see you building, I'm willing to do some parts leg work if anything turns up within a few hours drive. I can call the guy in LeSueur tomorrow if you like. Also, there is a guy in Albert Lea that is selling a 76 TNT Everest complete (not sure of the difference) with a frozen motor. I can give him a call as well.

I'm guess if PR1's brother has a major salvage yard, he also probably has what you need. I would be willing to venture into enemy territory to check out his parts if it will help. Obviously the hood is a priority item and if there is anything other major items, maybe you can post a list.

There's still time to get this done and it just happens that I have time off between Christmas and New Years and I could put it to good use chasing parts. If you want to PM me a phone number maybe we could solve some of the parts problems.

Talked to a couple of big boneyards here in MN today. Both claimed a high probability of having a hood. From what I gather, the 75 and 76 fan hoods have slightly different graphics but are they the same otherwise? Multi-year application would increase the likelihood of finding one.

I think I'll make up a few hours at work this weekend and if nothing shakes loose your end, I'll make a day tour next week, probably Wednesday. If I find a decent one that isn't priced like NOS, I'll grab it. Then we'll worry about how to get it to you.

Never mind the parts list. I found it in a previous post

Keep forgetting that PR1 lives in lower MI. Guess that would be quite a drive for me, LOL!

Thanks for the Help Skiroule! I think the hoods would be interchangeable between 75-76, possibly even 74? I think the only difference is the graphics and spedo/tach options. Some came with both, some came with only a spedo. I have only a spedo but could use the cover plate off the hood I have.

lol, enemy territory, lol. I am no where near Detroit. Grand Rapids is all nice folks. We are a bit conservative dutch here. I could look through all the barns but I bet I would not find all the right stuff you need. I can match up a belt and windshield but thats about it.
    skiroule, you are like a long ways from here, your like 2 states over. p.s. Is the movie "Fargo" a good representation of MN.?? lol.

Is the movie "Fargo" a good representation of MN.?? lol.
    You betcha...

Well, unfortunately I didn't have a ton of free time this week. What little I did have was spent researching parts and trying to stick people up for money! We did get a few donations rolling in and with that I was able to purchase the filler I needed for the belly pan.

I'm also dealing with some equipment malfunctions. My 30 year old compressor finally gave up the ghost. I do have a back up, but it has a three phase motor and I need some parts to get it working. Hopefully I will have that squared away by Monday.

Today was not a total loss though. The clutch cover front mount was all mangled up, so I hacked that off and went to work straightening it out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Its funny, the useful junk you can find around the house sometimes. I found this steel drawer divider and it just so happens to be the same gage steel I needed. Bonus, it already has a partial roll that I can work into what I need.

Got the pieces all made up and then it was time to weld it all back together.

Time is going to be in short supply this week also, as we will be in full blown holiday mode at the house. I do have a few days off over the holidays though. I plan on hitting the project hard and hopefully have the chassis ready for paint by the fist of the year.

The hood might not be fiberglass. I think Ski Doo was experimenting with different types of body materials around that time. I have a '75 T'NT 340 that I'm getting ready for the trails and some vintage rides and my bodywork is polycarbonate and not fiberglass.

74 fiberglass 74 1/2 poly. Try to find a poly one. The fiberglass ones are like eggshells. 74 has inside rubber tie down. 75&76 have outside lever for tie down. I will try to get some pics of under the hood. A everest has a longer track bellypan and hood are the same.

Did you find bumpers?

Thanks for the info 8rgade. I'm not too worried about the front bumper. Mine is painted not chrome. I could just make them if I have to. My hood is definitely poly and has the outside tie downs.
    Your sled looks fantastic! Did you refinish your pipe to get it to look that good, or did you find a NOS one?

I did it. Sand blast and painted with high temp paint. Did everything with spray cans beleave it or not. I did bake Ypipe in my gas grill. it is holding up good.

I did it. Sand blast and painted with high temp paint. Did everything with spray cans beleave it or not. I did bake Ypipe in my gas grill. it is holding up good.
    Your heat shield/fiberglass was in good shape, or did you redo that somehow?

Do you mean inside the hood? That was metal.

I mean on the pipe itself. The outside is wrapped with a heat shield and under that is fiberglass matting. Mine is rotted through in some spots.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by snoluver1; 12-19-2011 at 11:36 AM.

I had no shield that I know of. Is it removeble. If its on mine its in good shape and I painted it. I did not see any fiberglass.

Sorry I see now. No mine was in good shape. I wish you had some snow up there I would see what I can get and come up. Let me make a call and see if my buddy has a pipe.

Thanks!!

He is closed on monday I will try him tomorrow. let me know what else you need.

Sorry I see now. No mine was in good shape. I wish you had some snow up there I would see what I can get and come up. Let me make a call and see if my buddy has a pipe.
    Just so you know, I'm in northern IL. Not sure what this "snow" thing is your talking about.

If I can talk him into some parts I will pay the shiping.

I was thinking you were up by John. I WANT TO RIDE.

Snoluver1,

Left you a VM and PM. Found some hood options. Also have your chrome front and rear bumpers. Will post pics later tonight.

Snoluver1,

It was good talking to you tonight. You definitely have your stuff together. I'll post the day's harvest but as I mentioned on the phone, I'm not overwhelmed by my results. As of now I have three options: Hood_1, Hood_2, and Hood_3. Attached are the shots of the hood1&2 and bumpers.

Hood_1 is the fiberglass model and is the roughest. You can see the broken out section in the photo.
    Hood_2 is poly and is in a little better shape. The biggest defect on this one is the crack that runs from the headlight to the side louvers.

Are these repairable? Definitely. Are they repairable in your time frame? Probably not. Which brings us to Hood_3. I haven't seen it but I have reason to believe it's much better. First, the guy seemed to give a hoot and actually went looking for it on a phone call and second, it's been stored indoors.

To be honest, right now I'm leaning towards Hood_3. As you said on the phone, You want this to be something that is not just thrown together.

The bumpers are OK but I did find a pitted spot on bottom side of the front bumper which should be touched up so I'd leave it up to you whether or not you wanted to use them or just paint yours.

I'll keep you posted on the hood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Skiroule!!!
    Of the two you have it definitely looks like the poly one needs less work. I'm curious, has someone tried to makeshift repair the crack already. I don't see the classic rivet holes where someone put a piece of metal flat-stock on the back side to stiffen it up? We may need some input from Phazerpilot on this one. I don't have much experience refinishing plastic.
    Also, those bumpers look pretty darn good. They aren't correct for the model year, but like I said in an earlier post, this sled is not a museum piece. I sure wouldn't have a problem using them. We are trying to do a budget build here, I'm willing to take what I can get.
    Anybody else have an opinion? I'm am certainly open to feedback.

the poly one might be in better shape but is harder to repair than the glass one,plus the products to repair poly can get kinda pricey.personally i would rather repair the glass one over the poly. if you can get some better pic of the repair areas it would help me determine which would be the better one to fix.

Phazerpilot,

That's kind of what I suspected. If it came down to these two hoods, even though it's rough, the glass might be the better choice because even though it looks better, there are a number of smaller cracks on the poly model as well.

I'm going to talk to the source for the third hood again today. It's a poly hood but based on the description, it only has a small 2" crack near one of the rear corners. If this is true, it's probably the best bet, as long as you don't have to buy repair material by the gallon. I'm going to go check it out Friday (work really gets in the way of progress) so I'll get back to you guys after that.

P.S. Snoluver1, no rivet holes, lol.

I don't have any interesting pictures of remarkable progress to share today, but thought I would let everybody know I haven't been sitting on my rear either. My compressor issue turned out to be a bigger ordeal than I was expecting. I had to get a different bushing to switch the pulley over to my single phase motor. Just in case anyone is in the market for a Browning P1x5/8" pulley bushing, apparently I scored one of only two left in existence, so you better hop on it quick! LOL.
    Once I tracked down the bushing in Franklin Park, I got home and went to work changing it out. Of coarse nothing can be cut and dry. Once I got the motor off I found the bearings where toast. They were some oddball bearing that nobody caries, so that turned into a half day affair tracking those down. Then I still had to tear down the motor, change out the bearings, switch the pulley over and get it mounted to other compressor. Anyway, I'm finally back in action!

Out with the old and in with the even older......(but better!)
    PC201348.jpgPC201349.jpg

Spent the day on the road shaking the bushes for hoods. Came up with this one in Wisconsin. Itís a 74 glass and it looks a little ratty but itís easily the most structurally solid of the ones I have found. No major cracks but of course, it comes with some issues of itís own, most notably some gel coat spider webbing and some bonus holes in the console (which could be filled).

Also took a jaunt down to Jolly Green Giant country. The high priced hood that I had a lead on was OK but not that much better than the others Iíve found and not worth the price. Still it turned out to be a really worthwhile trip. Met a fellow that is easily the most knowledgeable person Iíve ever come across when it comes to Ski-Doo history and racing. He has small museum with probably 80 Ė 100 vintage Ski-Dooís, a lot of which are racing sleds. Even has a vintage oval sled with the bulb on the side for the leg. He has many more squirreled away in other buildings. Visited with him for over two hours Ė fantastic experience. Maybe that is what itís all about.

If anyone can best my efforts in the hood search, please feel free to do so!

Snoluver1, Will try to get a hold of you this weekend. If not, have a great holiday!

Thanks for all the leg work your doing Skiroule. Very much appreciated!!
    This hood certainly looks workable. The only thing that concerns me with this one, is there appears to be some differences in the shape. If you look on the right rear vent section(by where your knee would be) it appears to be shorter, with only 2 vents instead of 3. Also, the gage/console area seems to be a little different. I'm wondering if the hood fits any differently in these areas?

Also, here is the pic of the exhaust flange we were talking about for the left side jug.
    PC231351.jpg

Skiroule, here are a couple more small things I could use if you happen to make it out to one of those yards again.

The air intake silencer is missing the 90 degree elbow at the inlet side., and also what ever is supposed to hold it down. (it was held on with big hose clamps on my sled)

The rear snowflap.

The Bombardier emblem that is attached to the center of the gas tank cover is missing.

PC231354.jpgPC231352.jpgPC231353.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories source for parts. This guy is not far from my house http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Ski-Doo...item336d40106e he will ship you parts.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 12-24-2011 at 12:53 PM.

The only thing that concerns me with this one, is there appears to be some differences in the shape. If you look on the right rear vent section(by where your knee would be) it appears to be shorter, with only 2 vents instead of 3. Also, the gage/console area seems to be a little different. I'm wondering if the hood fits any differently in these areas?
    Snoluver1, You passed the test. The two vents are missing on the right side. They were cut off. Probably because they were broken. As you know, these vents are very fragile (and their purpose is questionable). If the hood is workable, my advice would be to patch in a new set of vents with fiberglass backing and reinforce the left side of hood as well. Shouldn't be too tough. I can a get spare section of vents from another cadaver.

The hoods are identical. The previous owner just did some "creative" things around the gauge area. I'll work the parts request as best I can. Maybe PR1's post might yield something as well.

heres another http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Lakes-Snowmobile-LLC These salvage yards are all around me. But all want cash.

skiroule, is that the only repair, no big cracks in it, with a donor vent i could make that hood work no problem that's the good thing about glass vs. poly hoods

Phazerpilot: After your post, I took a second look at the hood in good light. It's really solid, no cracks at all. It does have some gel coat issues that I mentioned but not all over the hood. Mostly around the rear vents and one spot by the headlight. I'm sure you've done your share of Corvette (and maybe boat) repair so you know what you're dealing with when it comes to gel coat.

yes, i love working on those old vette 's!!

Default "Parts is Parts"

Checked off some items on the grocery list today (and a few impulse items):

Pipe & muffler, exhaust boot, snow flap, snow flap/rear tunnel frame, left & right exhaust flanges, windshield molding, intake silencer & springs, handlebar pad (questionable) and one skinned knuckle (not pictured).

SL1 - Will PM you tomorrow with more details.

Nice score Skiroule!! Thanks!!!

Skiroule "swung by" yesterday with a truck load of parts. Even brought a few things I didn't even ask for, like a brand new windshield, a new set of hyfax and a tachometer for the sled!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Not only did Skiroule spend a bunch of time scouring the salvage yards, he loaded it all up and drove almost 6 hours from MN to my place to deliver the parts. One of the first things he said when he got out of the truck was, "I've got a couple hours to burn, what can I do to help?" What a guy!! We got everything unloaded and Skiroule went straight to work tearing down the rear skid and tagging and bagging all the parts for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

Skiroule, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you! Its always refreshing when you get to meet one of the truly "good" people left out there! Once again thanks for all the help, time and money you have put into this endeavor.

Likewise! It was good to finally meet Mr. & Mrs Snoluver1 in person.

This is a big project on a tight schedule (and tighter budget) so hopefully this helped some.

P.S. I should have left you a $20 to cover all of the WD-40 I used, LOL. I think I might have even put a couple of squirts in my beverage.

Got to meet another fantastic guy today. Phazerpilot stopped by and picked up the hood, and is going to start working on that. This guy knows paint work inside and out, upside down and backward! Hopefully soon, we'll have some pictures to share of something other than a pile of rusty parts!
    It was great meeting you Phazerpilot. Thanks for all the help!!