Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

74 Tickets sold so far. Not bad in my opinion.

I was expecting the main ticket sales to occur when the sled is on display at the various businesses up here prior to the Ride-In and also at the Ride-In itself.

Who know, may have to order more tickets.

-John

I would call that a very solid start. Especially since its not even Thanksgiving yet. Good to hear!!

Quote Originally Posted by snoluver1 View Post
    I would call that a very solid start. Especially since its not even Thanksgiving yet. Good to hear!!
    I just noticed that this thread has approx. 41,000 hits. That's got to be a record! Imagine how much could be raised if each person who has hit it just once bought a ticket? (hint) :P

Quote Originally Posted by doospunk View Post
    I just noticed that this thread has approx. 41,000 hits. That's got to be a record! Imagine how much could be raised if each person who has hit it just once bought a ticket? (hint) :P
    The "Carter's Corner" thread still has us beat, but it has been running for a couple years! Now that they started a new one, we may stand a chance to set the all time record. LOL

I agree, if just a tiny fraction of those 40k + hits end up buying a ticket, it would be an amazing success!

Phazerpilot should get a kick out of this effort. If this hood looks familiar, it was the first candidate hood for the Make-A-Wish sled. Fortunately we went on to find better material. The hood is being included with a vintage sled I’m selling so I decided to do the major patching on it just so it wouldn’t be so much work for someone to make it usable. Or maybe I just missed the smell of curing fiberglass.
    Hood_X2.jpgHood_X1.jpg

The reason for posting this now is that even though the hood is a throw-in for the deal, I’m going to take what it probably would have sold for individually and buy some more raffle tickets. Believe me, with my luck, it is truly a donation.

It won’t be long until the sled begins its tour. I’m hoping that the businesses that have been generous enough to display the sled will each post a photo of the sled at their establishment.

Default Happy thanksgiving

As I sit here with my overstuffed belly and darn near split open pants, I can't help but reflect back on the fact that this project started right around Thanksgiving last year. I think about the people that the Make-A-Wish foundation benefits, and how many of them will not have the opportunity to share a Thanksgiving feast with their families year after year.

I would just like to say that I am grateful for having the means and opportunity to contribute what little I could to this honorable charity. I am grateful for the people who joined me along the way and helped contribute to the project. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to meet a few new friends along the way.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    Please take a moment to think about all those that may be less fortunate today!

Well said snoluver. You have really poured your heart and soul into this project and the results show that! What a wonderful job and how nice it turned out. I hope people realize how much time and work it takes to restore a sled to this level. I know you will have great results for such a nice organization to help kids and families in need. Thanks for doing this, and good luck with the raffle!

Thanks polarismike!

Well, I don't know how he did it, but he did it!!
    Phazerpilot just sent me some pics of that old ratty handlebar pad. I had completely forgotten about it. Not so ratty anymore!

Nice! Phazerpilot, you are a fiberglass (and now a vinyl) restoration magician. Also can't believe it is same old dried up piece. These things are impossible to find in any condition so this is a real plus for the sled.

Now that John posted it in his journal, I thought it belonged in here too.

You can't tell in the photo, but I'm pretty sure I heard him giggling like a kid when he came back! (I know I sure was when I was on it)

I'm happy to report all systems a go.

Nice job!

Mr. Snoluver1, you forgot this one.</SPAN>

Ridin' in Style.jpg

I love these photos. It’s a different experience for sure but there is just something special about climbing on one of these vintage “snow machines.” It looks really good on the snow. Agree with Doospunk, nice job men!</SPAN>

One look at that picture makes me realize why so many of us who have spent any amount of time on these old sleds, have prematurely bad backs and knees. All this time I thought it was from working or hereditary!

Quote Originally Posted by snoluver1 View Post
    One look at that picture makes me realize why so many of us who have spent any amount of time on these old sleds, have prematurely bad backs and knees. All this time I thought it was from working or hereditary!
    A small price to pay for looking cool.</SPAN>

You have to admit you’re “at one with the snow” when you’re riding it. Makes 40 mph seem like a whole new experience. Would love to see some video taken from the viewpoint of the rider on this sled.</SPAN>

Quote Originally Posted by skiroule View Post
    Would love to see some video taken from the viewpoint of the rider on this sled.
    Its not much, and its not "point of view", but it is video. A whole 7 seconds of it. ( I actually didn't even realize I took video. I thought I was snapping pics and I was in video mode. LOL)

Awesome. I see John has the classic one knee on the seat riding stance when on an older sled! Again, awesome job on it Snoluver1!
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Awesome. I see John has the classic one knee on the seat riding stance when on an older sled! Again, awesome job on it Snoluver1!
    Just like he's riding a bike, eh? You never forget!
    Last edited by snoluver1; 12-03-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Default raffle link

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    I have set up a page for the sled raffle, you can purchase tickets on line with your credit card or paypal there:

SLED RAFFLE PAGE

-John

ttt

Default The Man and His Machine

I’m sure he will get even with me, even if it takes the rest of his life, but I thought the time was right to make one last post and put a face on this project. There aren't many photos of this fellow but I happen to have one.
    The_Man_and_His_Machine.jpg

I plan to hoist more than one Hop City “Barking Squirrel” in Snoluver1’s honor this holiday season (although I don’t really need a hoisting reason). Also, I will be raising a mug to everyone who has or will be plunking down some hard-earned money on a sled ticket. Not necessarily an easy thing to do in these uncertain economic times.

Happy holidays everyone and especially to Adam and the whole Snoluver1 family!

P.S. Got some great trail riding in on the local trails today – didn’t happen at all last year. Sure makes a difference in one's outlook.

You crack me up Skiroule! Happy holidays to you and yours as well. Cheers!

Was the drawing for the Doo yesterday? If so does anyone know who the lucky winner was?

Quote Originally Posted by xsivhp View Post
    Was the drawing for the Doo yesterday? If so does anyone know who the lucky winner was?
    No, the drawing date on the tickets was printed incorrectly. The drawing date is Feb 2nd and will take place at the ride in banquet.

-John

Just bought a couple tickets, Im assuming you will not need to be present to win?

You are correct and it is noted right on the ticket once you get it. Just hang on to the ticket! Thanks for the purchase and good luck! I sure wish we had more snow so there would be more traffice up north to buy tickets at the Bug Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    You are correct and it is noted right on the ticket once you get it. Just hang on to the ticket! Thanks for the purchase and good luck! I sure wish we had more snow so there would be more traffice up north to buy tickets at the Bug Bar.
    Yup, kinda disappointing with the snow situation. Especially hearing how the first bunch sold out in 4-5 days. Can only imagine how well they would have sold if there were actually some snow and traffic up there!

Sales are going well. Dispite Lack of snow..Might have too replace the hood hinge...People just looking at A job well done. Lots of local people buying tickets.. Very nice to see.. Hope to sell out this bunch before the Pre-Party..

Thanks for letting us help Don & Donna

Quote Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
    Sales are going well. Dispite Lack of snow..Might have too replace the hood hinge...People just looking at A job well done. Lots of local people buying tickets.. Very nice to see.. Hope to sell out this bunch before the Pre-Party..

Maybe we should prop the hood open a bit so people could see underneath without opening it every time. A sign saying "please don't touch" might do some good for preservation??

Good to hear sales are still going strong. Just makes me a little nervous hearing we might need to replace parts that are not readily available!!

JUST A LITTLE Joking Around....People just love it...It's in Good Hands

JUST A LITTLE Joking Around....People just love it...It's in Good Hands
    Yea, we only dropped it 2 or 3 times trying to get through the doors and then once or twice getting it up on the display stand. Looks just like a typical boondocking sled now.

Oh, and I think I found the key. Was it on an orange, Adams Lawn and Garden or Power Equipment Sales (or something like that) key holder?

-John

Got my ticket right after X-mas at the Mosquito, great to see the awesome job that was done on it in person
    Last edited by legend02; 01-06-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Yea, we only dropped it 2 or 3 times trying to get through the doors and then once or twice getting it up on the display stand. Looks just like a typical boondocking sled now.

Oh, and I think I found the key. Was it on an orange, Adams Lawn and Garden or Power Equipment Sales (or something like that) key holder?

-John

You guys are killing me!!!!!!! I know its not "mine" anymore but really, your KILLING me here!!! ------

Yup, thats the key. Glad it popped up!

Just read John's journal. $3k in sales so far. Pretty sweet!!!!!!

Default What a Finale!

Like many of you out there, I waited with a fair amount of anticipation with regard to who would have the winning ticket. What a great outcome! To have the winner in attendance is the best you could hope for. Really adds something special to the event.

Over the course of this project I’m sure everyone involved has a favorite memory. Mine occurred in a salvage yard about 120 miles west of the Twin Cities, in the middle of nowhere, in January 2012. I’m rooting around for some things and my phone rings. WTH? I’m not expecting any calls out here. It’s Adam. He says: “Did you get my note about the clevis pin?”. I guess it was just the setting: Complete desolation, there’s no one else around, the wind is blowing, the prairie grass is waving (no snow), and I’m taking a call from a guy in Illinois. I got the clevis pin.

There are some intangibles that have come from this project that are just feel-good things. I will consider Adam and Karen to be friends for life – two people that I would most likely have never even met, were it not for this project.

Sorry it took so long to get to it but the main point of this post is to address you ticket buyers. There’s a line in the Jackson Browne song “The Load Out” in which he addresses his audience with the words: “You got up on your feet and made the show go.” You ticket buyers got up on your feet and made the show go, to the tune of almost $7000. Even if you didn’t win, you had a shot and I hope you feel good about your purchase.

A Very Personal Thanks,
    Skiroule

700 tickets is amazing! When I talked to John at the Mosquito Bar Friday night, he thought we would get to 400 tickets. That means tons of tickets were sold Friday and Saturday night. The John Dee Family comes through again!

Thank you skiroule!

Adam told me about all you did and how you were responsible for almost all the parts that went into it, plus the boxes of spare parts that went along with the sled. Awesome!

It was also great to meet you and to get out for a little ride.

Take care.

-John

An AMAZING success!! I never even dreamed of selling that many tickets.

A huge thanks to all the John Dee community. A job well done folks!!

It was also great to meet you and to get out for a little ride.

Take care.

-John
    Likewise! and thanks for pulling me out when I augered in. I'd like to say it rarely happens but I think we all know better

Adam, hope you guys are back home safe, sound, and glad to be back at work.

Quote Originally Posted by skiroule View Post
    Likewise! and thanks for pulling me out when I augered in. I'd like to say it rarely happens but I think we all know better

Adam, hope you guys are back home safe, sound, and glad to be back at work.
    I'm pretty sure every one of us had to be pulled out at some point that day. I like to say, if you aren't gettin' stuck, it ain't deep enough! It was a great weekend of riding, in what turned out to be some good ol' fashioned Keweenaw conditions. Thanks John, for braving the cold and coming out to play with us!!

Made it home safe and sound. The back to work thing? I'll just leave that up to your imagination!

So, not being able to make it to the big party, who the heck won this fine restoration? Are there any pictures to share? I haven't seen a thread here about this topic since the big event.