Default Cali Trip 2013......any Ideas or Info?

Looking for any info on “must see” and “must do” things along the route we are taking this summer, if you know any places to see,eat or stay please share..

This is the plan for now!!!

http://www.mapquest.com/?version=1.0&hk=6-9HezXBtN
    http://www.mapquest.com/?version=1.0&hk=4-gAJ9LOVn

we are going to head out on hwy 2 across ND into Glacier NP, from Glacier we will head south to OR\Wash border to mt pass called rattle snake grade (local favorite) compared to the dragon sounds like the same if not more turns in less miles, we will head to Hood river where we plan to spend a day or 2. Like to see mt st Helens and some falls there after Hood river we are going south into OR and see Crater lake NP in southern OR. The plan from there is head to coast and see the Cali coastal roads and the Giant reds. When we are in Cali we plan to camp in the red woods and on the beach a few nights but mostly hotels and cabins along the way. Once in Cali it will be Hwy 101 to PCH then south to San Fran area where there is some inland roads that look to be a must do and take PCH to san Luis Obispo. This is where we will head back east to Yosemite NP and over the sierras to a old ghost town called Bodie Ca this looks to be a great abandoned ghost town. Reno is just north of there so we will be going up thur Tahoe area and plan to go up one side lake and stay in Reno and take other side lake the next day and keep going back south to Virginia city and then east across NV into Idaho. The way we are trying to go will give us some time in Yellowstone park and Chief Joesup Hwy after the park any xtra time we will be going thru Sturgis on way back so we will burn any time there, this is a 3 week trip.

If you see anything along this route we should see eat or stay please share the info

This is my must see list
    Glacier NP (road to sun)
    Hood river see mt st Helens and the falls there
    Crater lk OR
    Redwoods of Cali
    Hearst Castle
    Seal beach
    Pacific coast hwy “pch”
    Golden Gate
    Yellowstone park in the summer ,chief joseph byway,
    http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/rid...n/viewall.html
    http://wallowalaketramway.com/
    I think there was more but I forgetting as fast I find…..
    Last edited by Firecatguy; 12-16-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Don't forget to ride over Beartooth Pass,
    That will take you through Cooke City too.
    Yellowstone area is one of our favorite places.
    Also check out Cody, Wy and Buffalo Bills Museum.
    If you stay in Cody, check out the Cody Cowboy Village. Nice clean place

yeap plan is to see entire park...come in thru Jackson and get over beartooth then back track to take cheif joe the only if is are we going to see the town of west yellowstone....

Yes, I agree with the sentiment that the Beartooth Highway is a must do! You really cannot do Beartooth and Yellowstone in one day however. From Billings that's about a 500 mile ride. We did the whole thing in one day-but that day began at 9:00 am and ended the next morning at 4:45. We were told-seriously- that we were lucky to not hit a Moose on the way back in during the night. GULP! Wifey and I cannot wait to get another chance to ride out in Montana and Wyoming. Take plenty of Memory cards!

oh ya Beartooth is on there just forgot to add to list that is Beautiful up there been on it with sled not bike yet we hope to have 2 or 3 day left when we get to Yellowstone. I am really looking forward to the Cali coast,Pacific coast Hwy and seeing the Or coast

The Hearst Castle will blow you away! Be sure to check before leaving for tours and times, as budget cutbacks have affected this facility.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsnomo View Post
    The Hearst Castle will blow you away! Be sure to check before leaving for tours and times, as budget cutbacks have affected this facility.
    Oboy, how times have changed -- ol' Randy Hurst would never have tolerated any "budget cuts" when he owned the place!

that place looks awsome cant wait to see it.....he sure made alot cash on newspapers eh.....I guess newspapers where = to internet today or Fox news maybe...

check out grand teton national park also. Just south of Yellowstone. We have a big RV and have been across the entire US seeing the sites and The Grand Tetons are still my favorite.

Try to swing by Yosemite, it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by rsomero View Post
    Try to swing by Yosemite, it's beautiful.
    ahhhh I forgot to get that on list our plan is to camp maybe 5 or 6 nights and this is one place we plan on camping at......

That sure is a plateful for 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    That sure is a plateful for 3 weeks.
    just perfect......looking to add a cpl more thing in route.....the roads we have planed are all back road no interstate but we will always have the interstate to jump on a make up time. Everyone that is going is a great rider so we should do pretty good!! I know what this group is capable of doing and with 2 day of 5-6 hundred miles days at begining and end that will leave us 200 average mile days for the bulk of trip, unless rain or what have you.....if it came down to it 500 mile days the entire trip would not be hard to do if we had to

and always remeber...........

The journey is the DESTINATION!!!
    Last edited by Firecatguy; 11-29-2012 at 08:20 PM.

I would try to put Hwy 36 in CA into one of your day's routes. One of the best roads I've ever ridden, & it has a little bit of everything. The section from Fortuna to Red Bluff is where it's best.

Click me.
    Last edited by StreetnSnow; 12-12-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetnSnow View Post
    I would try to put Hwy 36 in CA into one of your day's routes. One of the best roads I've ever ridden, & it has a little bit of everything. The section from Fortuna to Red Bluff is where it's best.

Click me.
    wow.....thanks you are the second person to recomend that road, a guy from Cali said exact same thing. I had it on radar to check out as we go right past it....no longer on radar we will be taking it thanks again.....

and another road....this looks like a blast.....

http://www.hellscanyonrally.com/

Still doing all this in a 3 week span. Why not break it into two trips. Banging it out on that schedule leaves little time for stops. Why I say this is because I did 21 states in 21 days and don't remember much of it other than trying to keep on schedule.

yeap 23 days should be great time..no scheduled just ride......this should be just perfect most the stuff we have planned are ROADS, not "site to see" some the stuff we will see what we have for time like steelhead fishing the hells canyon snake river but the jet boat ride is a must. The time issue is not even a factor for us the guy I am going with we take a sat ride here and it turns into 600 miles we are have seen most 1 to 3 day rides here with that said the first 2 days will be 600 mile days to get us to Glacier then its average of 200 to 300 mile days and that there is a walk in the park. we will take 12 days to get down to San Luis Obisapo that will leave us 11 days to work our way back.......the biggest reason we have no problem making this is, ask anyone that ridden with me I do not spend the afternoon in a bar nor do I do that in evning!!! Ride Eat enjoy

Wayne you did 21 states in 21days on a bike?
    Last edited by Firecatguy; 12-30-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firecatguy View Post
    yeap 23 days should be great time..no scheduled just ride......this should be just perfect most the stuff we have planned are ROADS, not "site to see" some the stuff we will see what we have for time like steelhead fishing the hells canyon snake river but the jet boat ride is a must. The time issue is not even a factor for us the guy I am going with we take a sat ride here and it turns into 600 miles we are have seen most 1 to 3 day rides here with that said the first 2 days will be 600 mile days to get us to Glacier then its average of 200 to 300 mile days and that there is a walk in the park. we will take 12 days to get down to San Luis Obisapo that will leave us 11 days to work our way back.......the biggest reason we have no problem making this is, ask anyone that ridden with me I do not spend the afternoon in a bar nor do I do that in evning!!! Ride Eat enjoy

Wayne you did 21 states in 21days on a bike?
    No, it was 1985 in a brand new IROC Z-28. Trip was 10,200 miles, I was a whooping 25 years old. That's why I am wondering how you are going to cover so much ground. Most I have done on a bike was 3000 miles in 7 days. To Sturgis, around Sturgis and home. That was with fgsacts in 09.
    Last edited by polarisrider1; 01-01-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added info

The good thing is almost all the roads we are taking we have choice to jump out on Interstates to make up time but really dont plan on doing that, really hope to keep to all back roads. The trip itself would take us 2 or 3 days at most to get from MN to Cali so we will always be just 3 days from home and will always have that option to beat feet back..
    the trip\route is set now!! so we will either fail or succed!!!!the issue I forsee are Mtn roads and times as you know as well as anyone 60 miles in the mtns could be a 3hr trip we will deal with that as it happens. We are not much of tourist trap people but Hearst mansion will be a all day deal for one the tram in Oregon will be a half day and dinner is my guess then the Jet boat\fishing trip up Hells canyon will be a all day event the rest stuff will be what we see alng way really wanted to spend a cpl days in fort hood area but will see at this point if we have time....

wow.....thanks you are the second person to recomend that road, a guy from Cali said exact same thing. I had it on radar to check out as we go right past it....no longer on radar we will be taking it thanks again.....
    start or end redcrest hydesville fortuna all great places prob best in the country to pick up medicinal supplies for the trips night time unwinding

Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    start or end redcrest hydesville fortuna all great places prob best in the country to pick up medicinal supplies for the trips night time unwinding
    my dugout is always full!!will have plenty when we leave....

I have a friend who moved out to Cali years back to open a dispensery we will be visiting him and getting our own Med card so we can shop all the way down the coast.......

https://legalmarijuanadispensary.com...ddingmt-shasta

looking for Headbands and Concentrate of some kush.......yikes I cant wait

and girls scout cookies!! I hear that is the ticket......

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    Oboy, how times have changed -- ol' Randy Hurst would never have tolerated any "budget cuts" when he owned the place!
    I talked to a guy in Cali lat week and he said ol hearst made the bulk of money from a gold mine in Deadwood SD

very nice!

very nice!
    6weeks and counting....

6weeks and counting....
    Is a Michigan trip also on your todo list this year? Bike Time would be a great time to come visit me!

Is a Michigan trip also on your todo list this year? Bike Time would be a great time to come visit me!
    I hope so.....we will see how fall treats us...really want to take the Laker over and ride north might get chance for the HD Anniversary and get all of it in.

I hope so.....we will see how fall treats us...really want to take the Laker over and ride north might get chance for the HD Anniversary and get all of it in.
    Doing the "Tunnel of Trees, Mackinaw, Drummond Island trip this year. Staying in St. Ignace at the place we had dinner, it is also a motel! August 2-4. I have a block of 10 rooms reserved for our Club. Your invited.

Doing the "Tunnel of Trees, Mackinaw, Drummond Island trip this year. Staying in St. Ignace at the place we had dinner, it is also a motel! August 2-4. I have a block of 10 rooms reserved for our Club. Your invited.
    Thanks Wayne we might just be there we are trying for a fall ride this year up there really hope weater is warm in the fall.......

holy cow 4 weeks going nuts cant wait.....3 weeks of bike and sun!!and rain and cold and........

Any updates on your trip Pat?

Any updates on your trip Pat?
    sitting here drinking coffee and packing my bag now.....one more day of work then hit the road in the am....pics to follow.....

sitting here drinking coffee and packing my bag now.....one more day of work then hit the road in the am....pics to follow.....
    Carter sent me some info, guess he is hooking up with you guys in Montana. Have a safe trip and send the pics here!

Doing a UPer loop starting Aug. 2 and H-58 is on the list. Do you know that your in the Voyager Motels advertising picture with the rest of the group? I seen it in the "UP Cruising book". Celebrity and all! Mister big shot. lol

Carter sent me some info, guess he is hooking up with you guys in Montana. Have a safe trip and send the pics here!

Doing a UPer loop starting Aug. 2 and H-58 is on the list. Do you know that your in the Voyager Motels advertising picture with the rest of the group? I seen it in the "UP Cruising book". Celebrity and all! Mister big shot. lol
    yeap he met us in Idaho...what a great trip..WOW is better to described it..I need some time to relax so pics will follow this week...

thats awsome news now i need to send for a copy of the mag thanks Wayne for the headsup on that.....

3 National parks, many many state parks, 10 states and 6300 miles we made it and never had to skip anything along the way...what a blast with great friends and the weather was PERFECT we had 6 drops of rain in Nevada\Idaho Border but we ran right out of that before it hit after 23 days on the road I was ready to be home....

I will post more tonight
    Last edited by Firecatguy; 08-12-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Took a trip with 7 of my good friends we headed out on July 20th with a plan,3 weeks and good weather.

we got out the metro and one the bikes had a issue! we looked it over and seems the rear tire was not tightend right and luckly we were right by Apols Hd in Alex Mn. We made our way over there and it was their Hog Party and shop was closed. They heard we where heading to Cali so one the Mecanics that took bike in and fixed it( and looked over a brake on a second bike) did not charge us one dime then fed us BBQ- great Dealer wish I lived closer to them.

In the Middle of nodak we ran into this guy (mich guys doing same trip as us) we tried to look bike over but he had no spark so i called a tow truck and off we went.

We headed across hwy 2 thru ND spent our first night in Williston Nd (should of just bypassed that) wow what a deal going on up there, from there we headed to Glacier where the trip gets going in full speed..We Camped at Koa Of St Marys Mt what a great place they had BBQ going on and the little cabins are nice(the beds are like prison mats)!!

On day 3 we finally got to some good riding and left the straight roads in the past. Glacier is SPECTACULAR the road is NUTS but what a great place..

We got out the park and headed south thru Flathead Valley and along the east side of the lake, What a great place with miles after miles of cherry trees seems like everyone has a field of cherry trees in that area!!!another great area glad I got to see it. We rolled into Lolo Mt and met up with a good friend from jackson Hole who joining us for a week.

We got out of Lolo and headed to orifino Id thru Lolo pass and all I can say is do yourself a favor and make sure you see this great Road!!!one of my favorit roads was this with high canyon walls, road at bottom of canyon and river running next to it!!The curves are wide and sweeping oh did I mention the road is over 100 miles Long?

when I was looking up a good route this was sugested by someone on the forum, When i googled it i found some Hot springs that are along the road so we made it a point to stop at one. With a mile long trail some sidehilling to get back there we found a great little place...

as we pulled into Orifino Id the heat was well in the 100 more like 110!!! it was still early but we had a great hotel that I read about on the Forum and again!!SCORE!!!!! http://www.konkolvillemotel.com/ what a great place!!with your room you can a get a dinner for atra 12 a person!!!The dinner is steak patato deal outside at the grill.....another must do if your in the area..

I will add more later!!!
    Last edited by Firecatguy; 08-18-2013 at 09:51 AM.

going work on resizing the pics...yikes

going work on resizing the pics...yikes
    Looking good!

After a recouping night at http://www.konkolvillemotel.com/ beers,cold pool and great food is just what we needed in the triple didget weather!!!

We got out early to make Hells Canyon Hd as one Robbie was trying to make it to Sturgis for a new rear tire but it was looking like that was not an option(getting new wheels and rims in sturgis) so we made our way Lewiston Id. the Hd dealer got us right in and replaced rear tire and off we went our first order of Biz was to get thru Rattle Snake Canyon (boy the locals sure do have storys of snakes jumping out and attacking you and your bike in their).

in The Canyon

at the bottom of the grade is this sweet gem of a place (106 in the shade) water and ice cream is mandatory fix...

after Rattle Snake grade is the town of Joseph and the Wallowa lake area, This is one area I will be coming back to one day and spend some time. The lake was gorgeous they had these swim\boat docks along the one side(maybe 10 or 15 of them) spread apart and each one was diffrent maybe a diving board and picknick table next one have a slide and chairs looks like you take boat out to them and spend day...Great idea....the one end of the lake is a camping type setting with lodges and shops we took a tram to the top of the Mt overlooking town. This was a wild ride up wow does that thing get you to the top...

we have to tell him to keep his pants on alot...

The top has deck with food and drinks...

we should camped at Wallowa lake but we decided tohead out thru Hells Canyon and shoot for Baker City...(one of a few mistakes) I think we got to the road into Hells Canyon around 600pm this is a road less traveled and closed in winter I Liked it was over grown on sides so you had to travel slower this goes up to a look out then you work your way back down to halfway Or...

we came out to some small town after dark one hotel did not care for us so she did not rent us rooms but in town we found a little place that you had to call to get a room and they came right out and took care of us, as we waited for the owner to come over Carter made a trip around town to find food and the little bar in town stil had to ol cowboys drinking at it the lady was just closing the grill. We SCORED again this was some the best food the entire trip just a run down bar with cpl drunks the ladys treated us greast made sure we were full. We did have to pick the one guy up off sidewalk when we left seems it was too far walk home for him so he took nap...lol...

more later!!!

From Hells canyon Area we headed to The Dalles, the gourge is pretty cool to see we jumped on the Wash side that rd is high above the river with some great views little windy and alot truck traffic but great rd.....

we left the Dalles and headed to Multanoma falls what another great thing to NOT miss....

from there we headed into portland and north to Mt St Hellens we spent the night Camping up on St Hellens....

we made the coast!! what a blast getting here. We did meet A few bikers on the way to the coast who turned around!! when they got to the coast it was to cold!!!LOL.....We had fog and a slight mist most days till 400pm then turned blue skys!! so we started to take off from The hotels later in the morning the only down side to that is looking for a room at 900 at night and dinner....

One thing we all wanted to do was ride the Dunes in Oregon!! The wheelers where alot fun just wish I had one from home or something with a little more grunt but we had a blast... I had a sandrail come over the top hill in the air as I was coming up that was interesting....he landed on my front end pushed entire front end my wheeler into the sand.....I took it easy after that deal...

as we got out of OR into Ca all I can say is THE TREES WOW!!!!

and Paul bunyan is from Mn...nice try.....

was ment to be?

Last edited by Firecatguy; 08-27-2013 at 10:34 AM.

101?? was that the Honeymoon suite? Entry level? no pun intended!

In the welcome to CA pick, "Did you guys all fit in that white jeep?" and "who brought the sidewalk chalk?" Looks like I missed out.

we took hwy 101 to hwy 1......lol no honeymoom in that town was alot transiant people with dogs sleeping everywhere in that town....

What a trip! Beautiful scenery!! The trip of a lifetime.

The first pic in #41 has the guys getting a hand full.

Also love the pic of everyone around the tree!!

800etec Guest

Great pics and thanks for sharing. sounds like a great trip.

In the welcome to CA pick, "Did you guys all fit in that white jeep?" and "who brought the sidewalk chalk?" Looks like I missed out.
    Lol...That Guy seen us and stoped to take our pic for us....we really did luck out and met alot great people along the way the stories we have from all the people we met is priceless.....

we took one with the bikes also.....

Last edited by Firecatguy; 08-29-2013 at 09:37 AM.

we got into Cali and huged the coast on 101 then over to hwy 1!!The area north of San Fran is alot farms and open range the road is high ubove the water in most spots!! I can say I have never been on a road with sooo many types of riding all wraped in one....up hill, side cliff on bridge, one lane, huge winds slanted to left Cali dont fix much when the roads go to crap oh dont forget the mud slides aftermath road has big dip and leans to right on cliff...***...Bwhahaha I will never forget that road.....

We rolled into San Francisco during the afternoon on a fri and place was PACKED!!We lucked out again and found a great hotel with good rates and top it off underground parking!!! We parked the bikes for a day and half and took cabs,bus and Trollys everywhere...What a great town wish we had more time to spend we made fishermans warf scored tickets to Alcatraz and a boat tour of the bay.....

Alcatraz was a must see but come to find out tickets are sold out months out but we found one them tickets "scalpers" in town and got 7 tickets to the Isl at 165$ a piece...ouch.......after Alcatraz we had tix to a sunset bay cruise and we had no clue what was coming but on that boat ride Gary asked Carrie to Marry him over the loud speaker....I belive they have been dating since high school 20 years or so....

Last edited by Firecatguy; 08-29-2013 at 10:18 AM.

We had planed to leave San Fran and run over to Hollister to Corbin seats!! Robbie had some plans to get new gator seat, he had a new Corbin seat just needed to get it reskined...Robbie took off around 400am to head down to Corbin and we caught up later in the day. This was another area I was glad to see HUGE farms we seen everthing under the sun growing out in the valley. what a great company Corbin is they treat you like a King when you show up at the shop great service and Robbies new seat was done by 1100 and we were on the road to Pacific coast hwy 1!!!oh if your in the area Corbin has a diner right in the shop and the food was FANTASTIC!!!!

Robbies new seat.....with heat....

we got back over to the coast and headed south one the stop we had planed was Hearst Castle, this is another MUST SEE the history there is unreal, breath taking he sure did have some crazy vision...the zebra running with the cattle was weird to see......

Last edited by Firecatguy; 08-29-2013 at 11:07 AM.

beautiful pictures, great camera! Looks like lots of fun

Thanks Lenny it was a blast could not ask for better weather

Been busy as heck at work and we took off for the HD 110th so I finally getting a chance to finish this thread..thanks for all the great comments..

well we left he coast and headed up threw Fresno into Yosemite park we stayed the night at KOA at entrance to park. We ended up rolling out around 10am and WOW is all I can say about the traffic in the park by 10am the place was seriously PACKED but what a great place!! very beautiful...

we got out the park and heading over the seiera Mt to Lee Vining and then to a small goast town that was a gold mine town back in the day glad i made the rocky rd in as i almost turned back.....

You guys had a great trip! Thanks for the wonderful pics. Now you see why we live here. Left the UP in 1980 and never looked back.

Is that the town of Bodie? Have not been there yet.

yeap thats Bodie....great state...

Really enjoying the pics and commentary Pat.

Great Pics looked to a great trip! one of these day's prolly not until retirement to get that much time off

Bradzoo