Thread: The big Horns

Default The big Horns

Just got back from a incredible trip to the Big Horns. All I can say it wow. Thanks to Byrn71 and Boondocker82 for inviting me and some buds. This year I took the old Mtn Max and rode it like I stole it and beat the living snot of the old iron. Just added the triple pipes a few days before the trip and Skylar was right, big time power increase. We spent nearly 4 full day of riding, 6 guys. One sled totaled and one lower Aarm busted. Again Byrn71 (bob) and Boondocker (Nick) are 2 of the most generous guys you will meet. Bob loaned "flattop" Brad the backup sled RMK 700 and loaned "old Man" Dave his truck to run down the Mtn to fix the Doo's A arm at a Doo dealership. We pulled into the lodge at 10 am on Tuesday after drive all night and a nice beautiful sunny day at about 30 degrees. My Mtn Max wouldn't pull 8800 rpm's so I pulled the weights off the primary and removed the outer rivet and bam,,,8800. No mishaps on Tues and we were able to dial in our sleds and ready for a full day on Wed. Wed "flat top" lost a side hill at a good clip and got flung off and the old crossfire, went for a ghost ride into a tree, bent the bulkhead and jammed the motor back a tad. Almost made it back to the lodge before the belt blew from misalignment. Grabbed the backup sled and little while later OM smacked a rock bending an A-arm. He got that fixed with no problems. Oh yea, we were dropping a small cornice and upping the drop with each run and "flat top" busted off his steering post so we ran back and got that welded up at the Bear Lodge a mile from the ElkView where we were staying.

We had to search for the good stuff and there was no shortage of that. We rode long climbs, up in the trees, dropped small cornices, a little trail to get to different spots. Western riding is incredible and worth every cent spent to experience it! Byrn71 had his new Pro RMK and that thing it nasty sweet. Nick has a poo 800 assult 146 and these guys tear it up. They find lines I don't even see but push me to the limit.

My riding has certainly improved with these nuts pushing me beyond what I normally had done. I learned how important counter steering is when setting a side hill and making corrections. I have never been so stoked to ride and would go back tomorrow. The old Mtn Max just cannot stop no matter how hard I run that thing.

Our group of guys was the perfect combination and not one single bad moment, well,,, except some of the gas that Burn pumps out his butt,,,WOW!!!!!!

Brian, "polarbear" from here is one heck of a guy and I hope he is a regular now with us. This was his first time out west on his Poo 136 switchback and man he is a good rider naturally. Right out the gate he was starting to side hill and climbed real nice. I cannot say enough about how good of guys I was privileged to spend days with. Bob, Nick, Brian, Brad and Dave,,, thanks for a lifetime of memories and you all better be ready for next year!
    Attached Images Attached Images

few more.....

couple more,,,,,

some more,,,,,,

steep stuck w/Bob,,,maybe that's Bob's new nick name "SSBob"

pic 4 with flattops tongue hanging climbing up the hill on his knees and finally made it up to help out
    Last edited by lenny; 03-31-2013 at 11:58 AM.

last few,,,

the 2 nuts jumping off a rock, I was close to just going for it but wanted to come home with no broken sled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=PHpCg5swSy8

now I'm heading to FL for 2 weeks,,,can you believe it,,one day your trenched in on a slim line between the trees on top of the world and a few days later sipping tropical drinks on da beach!

Nice pics Lenny, looked like you guys had fun. Always fun to ride when its warmer out. Thanks for sharing!

Now wasn't that better then worrying about a Ricky taking you out on the trail. It's an addiction and your a junkie! Lol

Looks and sounds like a great time! Glad you all made it home safe as well.

It was a great trip with a great group of guys. Cant wait to see some of the other pictures people post. Wish I could go back today. Thanks to everyone for an awesome time! I'm already looking forward to next year.

Looks like a great trip was had! hoping to get out West next year for the first time. How did the 136" Switchy handle out there?

Living the life of a rock star Lenny! Looks like great memories were made and some nice weather and snow! Have fun in FL.

Great pics guys and glad you had a great time!!

Great trip, Lenny!

Geeze, now I have to put Big Horns on my "must ride" list!!! Lenny you have a way of corrupting me!

Hey lenny how big of a lig track do you need to ride there,

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    the 2 nuts jumping off a rock, I was close to just going for it but wanted to come home with no broken sled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=PHpCg5swSy8
    Little hard on the landing but not bad. Nice pictures! Might have to visit the horns sometime soon myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BREEZY View Post
    Hey lenny how big of a lig track do you need to ride there,
    You can run a 121 this time of year no problem. Just not gonna high mark your mt sled buddies.

Great pics Lenny ,I'm now in the market for a 144 build like yours.

the Big Horns are a popular place close to ride and is usually tracked up but you need to go further away and look around to find the good stuff. A 121 could have followed us to many places and had lots of fun but as a trail rider transitions to Mtn riding, the desire to go up gets stronger and stronger and before you know it you really need a longer track sled. I love to cut between the trees and it's deep there and add incline to it and now you have a combination where a more suitable sled would suffice. Can a shorty ride out there sure but can you really exploit the short track real fast,,,easily! Byrn71 just got a new Pro Rmk and just came off a crossfire and he says it's a big advantage where he can go and this boy is a very skilled rider. I wouldn't consider going out there with a 121 as I know what my limitations are and it would be cut down severely on a shorty.

I get a thrill when I see a line and am challenged not knowing if I will manage the terrain or not. Trail riding offers no more thrill to me and the MTN is never going to loose it's thrill,,,no matter how long a track
    Last edited by lenny; 04-04-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodtic View Post
    Great pics Lenny ,I'm now in the market for a 144 build like yours.
    Here you go Woodtic...

http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/sho...ferrerid=10491

Looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing!

Awesome pics Lenny! The Bighorns are on my must ride list!

an out-west trip will probably be a annual thing now as I am totally hooked

Man! I have to get back to the mountains before I'm shopping for my next vehicle at the Scooter Store. Spent a night at a lodge in the Big Horns on a ski trip a few years back (Meadowlark Lodge, I think). Awesome area.

The Big Horns are only about a 12 hour drive for me. There's just no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by skiroule View Post
    Man! I have to get back to the mountains

The Big Horns are only about a 12 hour drive for me. There's just no excuse.
    I think Red lodge is even faster through ND no dinking around through the black hills. and less tracked up most of the time.
    and hey lenny what were all u guys doing on that hill getting sleds un stuck . looked like a bad buzz waiting to happen 3 guys buried alive.

Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    I think Red lodge is even faster through ND no dinking around through the black hills. and less tracked up most of the time.
    and hey lenny what were all u guys doing on that hill getting sleds un stuck . looked like a bad buzz waiting to happen 3 guys buried alive.
    which pic?

post 5 pick 4&5 .I am no one's mother but looks like heavy trees on both sides just a few tinny trees in the center kinda steep and wide open at the bottom.
    then 3 guys 2 sleds in the same spot.
    snow looks well set but still u never know. a beacon will do no good if every one wearing one in under the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    post 5 pick 4&5 .I am no one's mother but looks like heavy trees on both sides just a few tinny trees in the center kinda steep and wide open at the bottom.
    then 3 guys 2 sleds in the same spot.
    snow looks well set but still u never know. a beacon will do no good if every one wearing one in under the snow.
    yea, that was a cool spot and extreme. I suppose it could let loose but that's the risk we take I guess, you mess with the bull and you just may get the horns

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    yea, that was a cool spot and extreme. I suppose it could let loose but that's the risk we take I guess, you mess with the bull and you just may get the horns
    That spot was full of trees. The pic is actually showing another part of the area. The picture makes look a lot different than actual. I take avalanches seriously and definitely never want to experience that in my life.