Thread: East coast!

Default East coast!

SWEET! An eastern riding section! I cut my snowmobiling teeth riding New England. Lets see some pics East Coasta's! I know your getting some snow!

Quote Originally Posted by snoluver1 View Post
    SWEET! An eastern riding section! I cut my snowmobiling teeth riding New England. Lets see some pics East Coasta's! I know your getting some snow!
    Was always curious as to what type of terrain, areas, etc they ride out there.

Quote Originally Posted by doospunk View Post
    Was always curious as to what type of terrain, areas, etc they ride out there.
    There is some awesome terrain out east and some super cool scenery. Its the snow thing that can be a problem. Always hit or miss. Nor' Easters can dump serious amounts of the white gold, but they can be tricky. Usually warm and rain on either the front or back side of the storm. The stars have to be aligned just right for it to work out right.

Default Adirondack Park/Tug Hill

Quote Originally Posted by snoluver1 View Post
    There is some awesome terrain out east and some super cool scenery. Its the snow thing that can be a problem. Always hit or miss. Nor' Easters can dump serious amounts of the white gold, but they can be tricky. Usually warm and rain on either the front or back side of the storm. The stars have to be aligned just right for it to work out right.
    Redfield, NY - located on the Tug Hill Plateau east of Lake Ontario - recorded 72" of Lake Effect Snow (LES) during a three day period from 10 - 13 Dec 2013.
    There are 226 snowmobile clubs registered in NY State and 10,400 miles of maintained trails. The most popular area is the Adirondack State Park followed
    by the Tug Hill Plateau. Snowmobiling conditions are pretty reliable in those areas into late March.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherjan View Post
    Redfield, NY - located on the Tug Hill Plateau east of Lake Ontario - recorded 72" of Lake Effect Snow (LES) during a three day period from 10 - 13 Dec 2013.
    There are 226 snowmobile clubs registered in NY State and 10,400 miles of maintained trails. The most popular area is the Adirondack State Park followed
    by the Tug Hill Plateau. Snowmobiling conditions are pretty reliable in those areas into late March.
    Yep, Tug Hill is one of the exceptions. Also far northern Main. Now we just need some pictures!

Team Elkhorn Guest

Please post some pictures. I'd love to see what riding is like out east. Trails, scenery, pit stops, etc.

There had to be some sort of demand for an east coast section, right? Why else Would John have made a new section?

Where is everybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Elkhorn View Post
    Please post some pictures. I'd love to see what riding is like out east. Trails, scenery, pit stops, etc.
    I've been trying to post but get an error message and then a statement claiming I lack permission. Anyway, try this link which provides a menu of webcams covering the Tug Hill Region.

http://www.northernchateau.com/northernchateau.htm

We are in the midst of a "December Thaw" right now but colder conditions should return by 23 Dec.

nice link with the cameras it sure does look like a melt down is occurring.

Team Elkhorn Guest

Thanks for the link weatherjan. Its always interesting to see where others ride.

I put in a request for the eastern riding forum. Grew up in Northern WI and have been following JD for years while riding in the yoop. I'm in upstate New York currently and was hoping to find a JD following out here too... doesn't seem like it though. Tug Hill gets the snow but we have had a few thaws complete with heavy rain so we are starting over again. I have only gotten out riding twice so far because of snow conditions.

Anyone else on JD out east and want to meet up to ride Tug Hill or Old Forge? I'm still learning my way around!!

weather channel said on monday night the tug hill area was gonna get 3-4 feet in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    weather channel said on monday night the tug hill area was gonna get 3-4 feet in the next few days.
    And if you go the the "Eastern US Cams" section of the NCN, you can watch it happen!

-John

yup have been....piling up on the tug hill stick.

These are some of the reports over the two day period:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/facebook...BUF.1400091518

Default Tug hill

Was able to get some riding in on Wednesday after the snowfall. Places had 4+ feet of powder! It was pretty cool! Different than the UP but still pretty cool! To bad it was 50degrees and rain all day today!!! Crazy weather here

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

well grew up here in the NE, and last few yrs have been terrible on riding, most trail systems near me, , last yr didn't even open, due to almsot zero snow
    and then this yr, even with record cold weather, and even snow in many places, it just didn't fall in places the trals really were not opened, and IF it did, it fall on trails, a few days later would warm up/rain, and destroy any base or hope of a great season, thus closing the trails again, think the main trail system near me(almost 350 miles) was maybe open like 20 days the whole season? and of that, maybe half was on decent snow?
    mean while all sorts of parts of PA about me got buried with snow, but no trails there! or maybe a mile or 2 of a small loop trail, that is what a 5 minute ride and then uness you want to drive it over and over ??

living here in NE PA, I learned if I wanted to ride every yr, it meant a lot of hrs towing a sled to find snow
    a shame as we yrs back had rather reliable snow condition yr to yr,(used to put on a 1,000 + miles a tr on local trails) and had tons of great types of riding from many many miles of groomed trails, rolling hills, to bigger fields to play in, to old coal mning roads and loging roads, and state owned lands
    now it seems like anything BUT a marked trail is off limits, and not staying on trail just closes even more land, IF we get the snow to be able to ride

everything is posted now a days
    understand it, but miss yrs back when you could ride older dirt roads when it snowed and folks didn't get so upset!

you folks that live in snow every ur places and have such libral rules to play on with off road atv's sleds and such, are so lucky!
    so day I hope to be able to retire and move to such a place!
    so enjoy what you have
    some day maybe I will too! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    well grew up here in the NE, and last few yrs have been terrible on riding, most trail systems near me, , last yr didn't even open, due to almsot zero snow
    and then this yr, even with record cold weather, and even snow in many places, it just didn't fall in places the trals really were not opened, and IF it did, it fall on trails, a few days later would warm up/rain, and destroy any base or hope of a great season, thus closing the trails again, think the main trail system near me(almost 350 miles) was maybe open like 20 days the whole season? and of that, maybe half was on decent snow?
    mean while all sorts of parts of PA about me got buried with snow, but no trails there! or maybe a mile or 2 of a small loop trail, that is what a 5 minute ride and then uness you want to drive it over and over ??

living here in NE PA, I learned if I wanted to ride every yr, it meant a lot of hrs towing a sled to find snow
    a shame as we yrs back had rather reliable snow condition yr to yr,(used to put on a 1,000 + miles a tr on local trails) and had tons of great types of riding from many many miles of groomed trails, rolling hills, to bigger fields to play in, to old coal mning roads and loging roads, and state owned lands
    now it seems like anything BUT a marked trail is off limits, and not staying on trail just closes even more land, IF we get the snow to be able to ride

everything is posted now a days
    understand it, but miss yrs back when you could ride older dirt roads when it snowed and folks didn't get so upset!

you folks that live in snow every ur places and have such libral rules to play on with off road atv's sleds and such, are so lucky!
    so day I hope to be able to retire and move to such a place!
    so enjoy what you have
    some day maybe I will too! LOL
    Haven't been back to Tug Hill since 2003, but still would like to Check out the P A Grand Canyon some winter.

We are looking at making a week long trip out to Maine in 2015-16 season. Where is the best area to ride (groomed trails, no boon docking) for sites and scenery? We are taking our own sleds out there from WI so just hotels and scenery and snow are the requirements. Its all about location, location, location!

around Moose Head lake , has a LOT of great trails, tends to hopld snow very long too, and is very sled frieldy area!

Is there any good spots to sled to for scenery or views around the Moosehead Lake area or Jackman? Big bridges or anything to cross, neat photo ops???

Blizzard Warnings.

Load em up boys. They're saying this one could be epic! Get it while you can, it'll probably all be gone in a week. Name of the game out east.

Quote Originally Posted by BNF CAT View Post
    Is there any good spots to sled to for scenery or views around the Moosehead Lake area or Jackman? Big bridges or anything to cross, neat photo ops???
    yes lots of views and scenery, and moose and other wild life, so be careful if you ride there! MOOSE are very big critters and like to walk the trails at times, more likley to attack than a bear, 50 times more likely! LOL

seem to be having a bad yr up there this yr however on snow?? defenetly not the norm either!, they always have pretty reliable snow
    so an odd yr!

Looks like there is now a lot of snow in the East. I know it's a large area geographically, but how is the riding out there compared to say the UP? If you could pick a place to ride out there right now, where would you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    Looks like there is now a lot of snow in the East. I know it's a large area geographically, but how is the riding out there compared to say the UP? If you could pick a place to ride out there right now, where would you go?
    right now parts of PA have great snow and some places have so so to good snow
    was just the past 3-4 days that we really got snow on the ground that is ridable and workabvle with groomers
    its still rather dry power snow, so we need a slight warm up or some wet snow to pack a solid base in
    as for places to ride, well, IF you like to have a lot of bar stops, I would suggest NE PA trail system, many smaller type bar/s along the trails, 200 iles of groomed trails, and RIGHT Now the best snow of the season

if you want to ride a little more remote parts of PA< but still decent trails and scenery, I would recommend the potter county/potato city area, sproul state forest and such, lots of trails there

NOW if your heading to say NY still the east LOL
    Old forge area is very snowmobile friendly and a LOT of miles of trails and all sorts of trail side bars/food.places to stay and so on
    they have good snow now too

TUG hill and Polaski area of ny is also a great place, and they can get HUGE lake effect snow falls, 3-5 ft at a time is NOT ot of the question a few times a yr in this area! crazy amounts at times

if I was heading more east and farther up the coast, I would say Moosehead area of maine, and the likes, same reasons, tons of miles of groomed trails, snowmobile friendly towns and access to all things by sled

I've rode a few places in NH and vermont yrs back, were nice, but wouldn't be my first pick if planning a trip
    I only rode really once in MI, and that wa a bunch of yrs back
    but all these area's have similar like set ups/riding likes
    all these places, 90% of all riding is ON trail only more or less, minus Maine, where there was a lot more places to play off trail
    issue's really are in NY and PA< that so much of the trails are on private lands, and most land owners only allow for a trail thru there lands, saves them liabality issue's, and its also the main reason we oose sections of trails all the time here, due to folks NOT staying on trail when they see fields and large open area's, even if marked all over to NOT leave the trail, sad but how it is!

starting to kick my self hard for not putting of a job I was starting last week.
    had a bud begging me to jump in truck to go riding in NH on thurs . he went out to some $$$ buds land bordering the presidential range .the picks are looking deep with some fun boondocking.
    W T F was I thinking work before play in feb