Smile Yellowstone bike trip

Just starting planning stage for an August trip. looking to include many places I ride in the winter. Looking for ideas, things to see and roads to "must" ride. Planning on Cooke City, Beartooth pass, Red Lodge, Gardiner, Yellowstone Park, Togwotee, West Yellowstone, and Jackson Hole area and Maybe Cody if time permits. Also what to not bother with. And will it be an issue with carbed bikes in the mtns. (This is a bucket list item for me)

heading there july 26th...cant wait....

Quote Originally Posted by Firecatguy View Post
    send me the June 7th link or info. Wife is going on an "All girls" ride. I and a couple guys would like to meet up in Ludington with your group.

your already on the invite list just put "michigan 2014" or go look in events.....if you still have hard time let me know I can send you a link

I added you to our sturgis stuff so you can get idea our ride and motels

Carbed bikes should do just fine. I had my 08 650 enduro out there and had no problems. You won't need or want power. Waaay to beautiful to worry about speed. Pic is from beartooth pass last year on the xr650l. Going back this year on the big bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

your already on the invite list just put "michigan 2014" or go look in events.....if you still have hard time let me know I can send you a link

I added you to our sturgis stuff so you can get idea our ride and motels
    Pat, I am kinda new to all this internet stuff. You may want to send a link for Michigan 2014.

figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mikes99ss View Post
    Carbed bikes should do just fine. I had my 08 650 enduro out there and had no problems. You won't need or want power. Waaay to beautiful to worry about speed. Pic is from beartooth pass last year on the xr650l. Going back this year on the big bike.
    nice pic

Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    figured it out.

10-4

My wife and I did a tour of Colorado many years ago on a Honda Valkyrie interstate. I had called out to a dealer out there and asked the same questions about jetting and he just laughed and said that a Valkyrie has so much horsepower I'd never notice the difference. What a great trip. Rode out from WI and back, 3000+ miles for the trip and my wife was 5 months pregnant at the time. Figured it was our last chance to do that for at least 18 yrs! Got back and the following weekend the Valkyrie was traded in on a new AWD SUV for her. Still miss that bike!

We've been out there many times.
    The places you mentioned to visit are great.
    You will not have a problem with your bike.
    We like to ride to Sturgis, getting there at the end on the rally(not many people left), buy our shirts , etc and head for Cody.
    From there we do Yellowstone, go down to Jackson Hole and back up through Yellowstone, then Cooke City, Beartooth,up to Red Lodge and then back down to take the Chief Joseph Highway and other roads back to Cody, over to Sturgis, ride the area for a day and then home.

Wayne,

I can help ya out with places to stay ect if you have not finalized that....we are all booked the 4 nights in and around yellowstone and the hotels were filling up fast........when in Cody try Carter Mtn Hotel she still has some rooms left for that week but not many......cach creek lodge in Jackson has some open dates and great pricing.......west yellowstone.....good luck we took last 6 rooms at goldenwest for our dates......

now the fun part of looking up all the roads and sites.......

- - - Updated - - -

I can not recommend Rustic inn in Jackson enough!!great place with ton room but super $$$$$.....

Pat, dates have changed. leaving out July 27 very early. home around Aug.3, I did get rooms squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    My wife and I did a tour of Colorado many years ago on a Honda Valkyrie interstate. I had called out to a dealer out there and asked the same questions about jetting and he just laughed and said that a Valkyrie has so much horsepower I'd never notice the difference. What a great trip. Rode out from WI and back, 3000+ miles for the trip and my wife was 5 months pregnant at the time. Figured it was our last chance to do that for at least 18 yrs! Got back and the following weekend the Valkyrie was traded in on a new AWD SUV for her. Still miss that bike!
    if u got that bike when they were first coming out your 18yrs is coming up. shortly after getting married my wife was doing copy for the new Valkyrie that was a sweet bike we got to keep one for about 2 mo

got all the hotels and days taken care of now onto the planing of what to see........uncle Tom's point.....inspiration point......grand canyon of yellowstone.....old faithful.......artist point...my God their alot to see........Beartooth and Chief joseph....rodeo in Cody.....

Quote-There's alot to see.
    Yea, that's why we have been out there many times.
    You can always find some place new to see.

Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    if u got that bike when they were first coming out your 18yrs is coming up. shortly after getting married my wife was doing copy for the new Valkyrie that was a sweet bike we got to keep one for about 2 mo
    Ours was a 1999. Bought it when I worked at Polaris in the motorcycle group. We'd buy bikes to evaluate and then get rid of them. I think we paid close to $18000 for it, put 1500 miles on it and I bought it 6 months later for $10k. Put another 5000 miles on it and got 12K when I traded it in. it was a sweet ride, great for a long distance trip like that.

Heading out there July 19th, coming back this way the 26th. Then going to stay a few days south of Sturgis. We are staying this year at Cody, trailering out, then day rides from there. Think this will be more enjoyable, the wife will be ready to ride and enjoy the area and not be so tired from ride out.

Quote Originally Posted by fusionfool View Post
    Heading out there July 19th, coming back this way the 26th. Then going to stay a few days south of Sturgis. We are staying this year at Cody, trailering out, then day rides from there. Think this will be more enjoyable, the wife will be ready to ride and enjoy the area and not be so tired from ride out.
    wave as you go by......lol...we will be leaving Sturgis the 27th for Jellystone....

wave as you go by......lol...we will be leaving Sturgis the 27th for Jellystone....
    We will be easy to see. F150 Black, and a white Iron Horse enclosed motorcycle trailer with Harley-Davidson Eagle on front, and bar and shield on the sides.

WOW is all we can say, staying here in Cody, and have toured most of the park and near by area's. Going down into the Grand Tetons today with a high of 67 will be a welcome cool down as yesterday was 101. At 45 MPH or less through the park the HD was getting pretty warm. Be sure to do Beartooth pass while you are hear Firecatguy, you will love it. But dress warm
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW is all we can say, staying here in Cody, and have toured most of the park and near by area's. Going down into the Grand Tetons today with a high of 67 will be a welcome cool down as yesterday was 101.t At 45 MPH or less through the park the HD was getting pretty warm. Be sure to do Beartooth pass while you are hear Firecatguy, you will love it. But dress warm
    Sweet!! My bike riding group panzed out. Then work got in the way

Thats awesome you found snow to boot....sound like your having a great time...cant wait leaving in 5 days.....post more pics cant wait to hear and see more..When in Teton pk hit spiral mt looks to be a crazy ride to the top....Ride safe my friend.......

Here are a few more pics. First is a girl coming out of rest room and finds Mr Buffalo right there. This is an oh ^&%^& moment for her I am sure.
    Buffalo_restroom.jpg
    Second is our closest shot of a Griz just passed in front of the truck in front of us, by the time we got the camera out he was down in the woods. No front shot like we would like.
    Grizz.jpg
    Next is just a perfect ride through one of the passes.
    Pass.jpg

Spent too much time in Jackson Hole going to Harley shop, and Million Dollar Bar, ext, did not do the corkscrew. Maybe next time. We will be riding one more day here around Cody, then back home with a short stop to Sturgis on the way back home.

Here are a few more pics. First is a girl coming out of rest room and finds Mr Buffalo right there. This is an oh ^&%^& moment for her I am sure.
    Buffalo_restroom.jpg
    Second is our closest shot of a Griz just passed in front of the truck in front of us, by the time we got the camera out he was down in the woods. No front shot like we would like.
    Grizz.jpg
    Next is just a perfect ride through one of the passes.
    Pass.jpg

Spent too much time in Jackson Hole going to Harley shop, and Million Dollar Bar, ext, did not do the corkscrew. Maybe next time. We will be riding one more day here around Cody, then back home with a short stop to Sturgis on the way back home.
    I was told about a rd in Cody that I guess is pretty cool for views.....60 miles out to a dead end then back......southfork rd

I was told about a rd in Cody that I guess is pretty cool for views.....60 miles out to a dead end then back......southfork rd
    I bet that is 291 ends up out connecting to south fork.
    We are staying at the Big Bear just down the hill from 291. We did not ride it but did think of it while map searching. Too many nice roads a week is not enough to ride them all.

just got back from a wedding for the daughter of worlds largest retailer of power sports parts & accessory's not 1 bike in the lot? real real nice set up though.
    shouldn't all u kids be in SD this weekend

holy smokes...bikes and bikes and more bikes.....the park was packed with bikes and cody.........hey fusion are you a member of the HA? seen the National run was in cody when you where there.....them Boys saved our trip....

holy smokes...bikes and bikes and more bikes.....the park was packed with bikes and cody.........hey fusion are you a member of the HA? seen the National run was in cody when you where there.....them Boys saved our trip....
    Firecat, Well I will only say that I am from WI and was a bit nervous while we were there for the last couple of days. We said nothing, and kept to our selves

Just curious, how did they save you trip?

long story....one the guys with us got very sick and cut off and stopped in island pk.....when we got to west yellow we then noticed he was not with us...he could not go any more so he said he wanted a rest at gas station then head to hotel which was 30 miles away...bunch running back and forth he finally got up and headed to west but again he did not make it and headed to some crapy hotel 25 miles out west....skip ahead he ended up taking ambulance at 1am to ER.....he was 60 miles from his bike and another 25 from us so he got cab ride back to hotel and rested till morning......then it happened.....he lost his key....so we spend a day looking in ambulance, hotel pk lot etc but no key.......finally he said he have one shipped from home and catch us in sturgis.....we left him and kept going....2 days later the HA happen to be staying in same place.....ton more to story but to make it short ....they picked the ign and bags......he caught us the next morning....

- - - Updated - - -

wis plate on your bike at National Ha Rally might make for stressful times..lol

Glad to here he recovered, and was well enough to ride again. Also nice the HA had enough tech's with knowledge to pic the ign and get him going. We did talk to a few of the HA while there and jokingly asked if we were safe being from the "big O" state. They assured us that so long as we had no affiliation with them we were safe to be in town. I did make sure I was not wearing my regular Black bandana, for the rest of the trip just wore my HD labeled bandana.

lots of good riding, 11.00 to park at mount rushmore so we just hit the two pull off areas. where ever you find buffalo in yellowstone you will be in a traffic jam, took an hour to get past the heard. flat tire in vail colorado and a power sports place had some tires that they keep on hand. 250 for the tire and 100 bucks to install it, 4 hours later we were on our way. some rainy cloudy passes had me taking a bite out of my seat. and the ride to get out west and back, I now know why people trailer out.

- - - Updated - - -

also, no reservations for three bikes and no koa ever told us they were full. west yellowstone did say they had one site that they don't usually rent out, we said we'll take it. It was acually a pretty nice site.