Default IP Address 176.10.99.201 tried accessing my account for Discussion Board

The Swiss are trying to hack this site! Traced IP Address 176.10.99.201 that tried accessing my account to a site in Switzerland that is a known spammer. I have not logged in to this site in years!

I received the following email from the Board Administrator:

Dear ****,

Someone has tried to log into your account on JohnDee.com Discussion Board with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 176.10.99.201

All the best,
    JohnDee.com Discussion Board

Dont use a credit card or make cell phone calls. Cash only.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Default Norse (Cyber) Attack Map - live

No necessary connection, but an interesting display of current on-going worldwide cyber attacks:
    The live (click →) "Norse Attack Map".

Norse Intelligence Platform

Every second, Norse collects and analyzes live threat intelligence from darknets in hundreds of locations in over 40 countries. The attacks shown are based on a small subset of live flows against the Norse honeypot infrastructure, representing actual worldwide cyber attacks by bad actors. At a glance, one can see which countries are aggressors or targets at the moment, using which type of attacks (services-ports).

Hovering over the ATTACK ORIGINS, ATTACK TARGETS, or ATTACK TYPES will highlight just the attacks emanating from that country or over that service-port respectively. Hovering over any bubble on the map, will highlight only the attacks from that location and type.

Norse exposes its threat intelligence via high-performance, machine-readable APIs in a variety of forms. Norse also provides products and solutions that assist organizations in protecting and mitigating cyber attacks.

For more information, please contact: inquiry@norse-corp.com

Someone tried to get into mine also

Include the Russians, Czechs, Mexico and countless African countries!

I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish and do not really know of a way to stop it, other than blocking huge blocks of IP addresses, which causes the good guys to not be able to get in.

What ever they are trying, it is not working at all, as all attempts- 100's a day - have been unsuccessful.

I am sorry for this issue and wish they would just move on. No important banking info here!

-John

No important banking info, but maybe they are trying to figure out what brand of sleds we ride, who has the best pasties, what mods do we do.....then they will sell it back to the Chinese, who will in turn sell back to polaris, Arctic Cat and ski-doo....we are doomed and I am going to put my foil helmet back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    No important banking info here!

-John

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Default Cyber attack targets(?)

I wonder what's so interesting to so many cyber attackers about the tiny little island target in the Gulf of Guinea, off the western equatorial coast of Central Africa — it looks like São Tomé and Príncipe (?) What could possibly be of such great interest there to so many cyber attackers?

(See the The live "Norse Attack Map" in my previous post.)

Also, what's the major tight cluster of maybe 12 targets in the center of the US (a bit west of St. Louis?) that seems to be the center of a major and on-going barrage of attacks? Of all potential targets in the US, what all is of such great interest there?

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    I wonder what's so interesting to so many cyber attackers about the tiny little island target in the Gulf of Guinea, off the western equatorial coast of Central Africa — it looks like São Tomé and Príncipe (?) What could possibly be of such great interest there to so many cyber attackers?

(See the The live "Norse Attack Map" in my previous post.)

Also, what's the major tight cluster of maybe 12 targets in the center of the US (a bit west of St. Louis?) that seems to be the center of a major and on-going barrage of attacks? Of all potential targets in the US, what all is of such great interest there?

Possibly a large tech area with huge central servers?

They tried to log onto mine as well.

I just received an email that someone from 98.158.100.102 tried to access my account - British Virgin Islands?

Me too96.44.189.102

I'm wondering why anyone would be trying to hack discussion forums? Nothing to gain from it. Could it be they are just trying to hone their hacking skills? Seems they could pick targets to at least try to get some credit info, or at least personal info.

I also had the same thing a couple weeks ago from IP address 46.28.110.136

Quote Originally Posted by sweeperguy View Post
    I'm wondering why anyone would be trying to hack discussion forums? Nothing to gain from it. Could it be they are just trying to hone their hacking skills? Seems they could pick targets to at least try to get some credit info, or at least personal info.
    A while back I read that a theory that forums may not have the same level of security as other online things and since many people use the same screen names and passwords for everything, the thought was get log-in info from a easier target, then track where they bank and use the info you got from the forum to see if you can get in. Not sure how much effort that takes, or if it's even feasible, but I will say it caused me to double check that all my log in info for forums is completely different from any financial or shopping sites I visit.

Default Junk mail?

It's not necessarily related, but in just the last month or so I've started getting a slew of interesting items in my "junk mail" folder as well. Do they really think I'm going to open an email like any of these? I didn't just fall off the turnip truck/hay wagon! (thumbnail below):

JunkMail.JPG
    Last edited by frnash; 07-29-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Frank, your intellect is now sought out nation wide, you should either be flattered or scared as ****, :) LOL!-Mezz

Just received an e-mail that there was 5 failed attempts to log into my account. From IP 176.10.104.240

Yup they tried to get into mine as well.

'Tis strange that there are no "failed attempts to log into my account" …
    Mebby that's 'cuz they're all successful attempts? Ooops!

And by the way, what's with this change to this discussion board: