Default Carter's Corner 2015/16 Snow Reports and Talk from Togwotee.

Let's get this thing going. Snow right around the corner. And see you all at Hay Days....

I want to announce to all you crazy's, I have a new winter ride. I picked up a 2004 F-150 supercab. Its dark blue and has a topper. I will have it at Hay Days. I say this for all you webcam watchers so when I'm up there riding and you are at home drooling you can find my truck and be pissed off and continue to drool.........or not.......HEHEHEHEHE.....

What sled will you be riding this year?

We Polaris riding guides are on the standard,Derek thought better to wait one year for the bugs to be worked out on the new one. The cat guides are on Pros..........for me the standard is the way to go anyway as I turn it into a pro front, with the fox shocks and all the black plastic. The black Pearl rides again.........

Quote Originally Posted by carter View Post
    We Polaris riding guides are on the standard,Derek thought better to wait one year for the bugs to be worked out on the new one. The cat guides are on Pros..........for me the standard is the way to go anyway as I turn it into a pro front, with the fox shocks and all the black plastic. The black Pearl rides again.........
    When ya get it all prepped post up a pic! Gotta know what I am looking for on the mountain this year!

No need to post a picture, just look for the black blurr.........LOL....ok, the sad part is it will be together about the first day of riding...and I will get it posted..

No need to post a picture, just look for the black blurr.........LOL....ok, the sad part is it will be together about the first day of riding...and I will get it posted..
    You rock. Go Poo!

Saturday departure, headed to Minnesota, a week to play then Hay Days 12th and 13th.....Come on down..........

See you early March!

Back from Hay Days and on my way into town I saw a trace of snow covering the top of the Tetons.....not a lot but a trace.........now I know this happens all fall, but already.........I'm sure it won't hold but Hmmmmmm.....

Back from Hay Days and on my way into town I saw a trace of snow covering the top of the Tetons.....not a lot but a trace.........now I know this happens all fall, but already.........I'm sure it won't hold but Hmmmmmm.....
    You know a pic would really get us going Carter! How do we know you are not just telling us a fish story? LOL
    Just kidding but hey I do still like picture books!

Truth be known...I have a flip phone that takes crappy pictures.....I'm going to ask a friend to help with this. She drives past the Tetons every day to work. More later.....

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I just went to the Togwotee webcam and found a good one......roof covered, and car roofs covered.....

Cripes, just go to the NCN and see and right now the lodge has a dusting And the pass has a sloppy inch or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Cripes, just go to the NCN and see and right now the lodge has a dusting And the pass has a sloppy inch or so.
    Not sure how to take the "Cripes"? Just trying to keep the forum content rolling during the off season John. I think most of us keep an eye on the Cam's. Just nice to see a pic from a different view sometimes.

When is a good time to ride in Wyoming? Planning on making our first trip out there but not sure when to go. Is early February good or should we shoot for second week in march?

Quote Originally Posted by apholbrook View Post
    When is a good time to ride in Wyoming? Planning on making our first trip out there but not sure when to go. Is early February good or should we shoot for second week in march?
    Both times can be excellent. Nice thing about March is that the days are longer allowing for more time on the snow. It's really is a crap shot depending upon weather and how Mother Nature lays it down prior to and while you are there.

Feb is typically the best month for freshies. However as willey stated both can be amazing. What are you riding for sleds? How much experience do you have in the mountains and what are your expectations for terrain?

Figured I would help you out on the riding zones as well. If you do Togwotee it is huge and has great riding in many spots. Follow the red line from your cabin on this map to the killer riding areas!
    Map to Riding.jpg
    Last edited by cooksend; 09-29-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks for the replies. It will be the first time for three of us and the second time for the other three. We have a 2013 cat M8000 153", 2007 summit 151", 2010 Renegade 136"x1.75". I'm not sure on the others. Planning on staying at bear lodge, unless that's a bad idea? Hoping to find deep powder and some nice hills, most of us are pretty novice when it comes to mountain riding so we dont want to end up at the bottom of some cliff until next spring. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the replies. It will be the first time for three of us and the second time for the other three. We have a 2013 cat M8000 153", 2007 summit 151", 2010 Renegade 136"x1.75". I'm not sure on the others. Planning on staying at bear lodge, unless that's a bad idea? Hoping to find deep powder and some nice hills, most of us are pretty novice when it comes to mountain riding so we dont want to end up at the bottom of some cliff until next spring. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Take am Avy class and get a guide would be my tip.

What PEZ said for sure. Also be sure you don't leave the parking lot without a Shovel, Probe and Beacon with the knowledge to use them. However the best skill is learning how to avoid having to use them. Be sure all those in your group are on that same mindset and have enough self control to stay off the hill when necessary! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions regarding gear and so on. I have never ridden the Horns but know many who have. Trust me, you will be humbled in a huge way!
    Keeper pinned, post pics and have a ball...

What happened with prices for the winter package? Called two weeks ago and got a price of $350 for 6 nights 5 days for 4 guys and call today to book it and now they say $900 a person? Usually every year we pay between $300 to $400 for the trip. Did it really go up that much?

Quote Originally Posted by 9287jake View Post
    What happened with prices for the winter package? Called two weeks ago and got a price of $350 for 6 nights 5 days for 4 guys and call today to book it and now they say $900 a person? Usually every year we pay between $300 to $400 for the trip. Did it really go up that much?
    Yup. Depends on dates. Checking myself and found the same.

Your $350 price quote has to be a mistake.......while at Hay Days I saw pre season rate numbers around $157 a nite per person per nite....now I don't know the rates and I don't quote the rates, but just simple math says it can't be $350. That would be $58 a nite per person and I know that isn't right........Call the Central Res. number and ask for the pre-season rate and start again....

I don't understand why we have to go through this every year. A per day rate has several things in it that make it a good and fair value. Traveling the country one finds that hotel rooms are all above $100 a nite......this rate system we have adds food, happy hour, guides, and transportation from the airport should you need that......most guys I talk to say its fair.......

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to spend time on this site having to explain to guys who want to complain about rates every year......our season is too short for that.......get your butts out here and enjoy all that the mountains have to offer.....the rates are just part of it all....

I think the issue is properly training the reservation staff. I know they are sitting in some back room in Arizona, but they have no idea and I feel like I am educating them on their own packages. Takes a few calls to get it right.

Jacklyn at Central Res. is a rock star.......hint,hint.......

Whoa wasn't trying to complain about prices I just thought I was doing something wrong. Either I or the lady working must have been confused. I was just trying to see if anyone else had the same price.....

Whoa wasn't trying to complain about prices I just thought I was doing something wrong. Either I or the lady working must have been confused. I was just trying to see if anyone else had the same price.....
    Price Also has to do with how many guys you stuff in a room.

Your $350 price quote has to be a mistake.......while at Hay Days I saw pre season rate numbers around $157 a nite per person per nite....now I don't know the rates and I don't quote the rates, but just simple math says it can't be $350. That would be $58 a nite per person and I know that isn't right........Call the Central Res. number and ask for the pre-season rate and start again....
    Holy crap, I hope I haven't been overpaying but typically for us to have 3 guys in a cabin its $900-950 pp for six nights on the package. Just booked a couple cabins a week ago for the end of January and it fell within that range again this year, this also works out to about what Carter posted for a per night rate.
    I

Carter,
    What are you guys offering for sled rentals this season? A friend that rents called the reservation center just recently and she said he had his choice of either a Polaris RMK or Ski-Doo Summit. Just wondered if this is accurate as last season the Doo's were unavailable through the lodge?

Last time I was in Tog, two years ago, we got a suite, slept 4 of us just fine, at 109.00 a night per person, and that was the classic winter package.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Just checked Togs website. Classic winter package March 6-11th, suite, 4 guys, 136.00 a night per person. Must book by November 31st. Great deal.

yeap 136$ pp per night on the classic package we are looking at booking jan or feb...

doo eh? no kittys? like switch it up check out the latest iron before I buy

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Just checked Togs website. Classic winter package March 6-11th, suite, 4 guys, 136.00 a night per person. Must book by November 31st. Great deal.
    Who gets the couch?

The classic winter package is a bargain IMO. Loved everything about it last year, except the WiFi. That sucked LOL
    Last edited by indy_500; 10-09-2015 at 01:34 AM.

Yes, we have Doo's this year. Not many, so check out your dates and be the first to act to get one...

no kitty?

Yes, Pat......we have Arctic Cats to rent........

Deposit is paid. We'll be rolling in new years day. Can't wait!

I'm having a tough time understanding the talk about El Nino......but if I'm getting it right its saying warm and wet and that in mountain speak is snow, so do your snow dance and lets get on with the show.......

March 7-12 for my group of 5

By November 31st eh? Last I checked there are only 30 day's in November, are sure that is a legit price?-Mezz

My bad...

Looking to bring my son out to Togwotee and stay in the lodge rooms but the only time we can make it is between Christmas and New years with his school schedule, depending on conditions is that a good time?

Quote Originally Posted by expedition59 View Post
    Looking to bring my son out to Togwotee and stay in the lodge rooms but the only time we can make it is between Christmas and New years with his school schedule, depending on conditions is that a good time?
    Yes but they blacked out those dates this year for the classic winter package.

Glad to hear that. We are planning on Christmas break riding also...and I was worried they wouldn't have enough snow. I realize every year is different and not guaranteed, but I'm glad the answer wasn't ****-no!

Checking the webcam on Togwotee Pass and the plow trucks are out. The ditches are hard to see depth but it looks like around a foot. Its cold enough and its holding in the parking lot.....this is ok for Nov. 4.......closer to town the Tetons are covered and look great, so stay tuned........

Hey carter I ran into you last year at the lodge it was are first time out and we're coming out again January 8th-16th would like to book you for a couple days if still available there is 6 of us so far

Brett, I sent you a PM...

Yes Carter I got a new beacon. Bought Pats from him.

9" overnight at lodge, according to Facebook, so it must be true. Looks like I may be able to get that second week of December trip in, hopefully!

As luck would have it, the webcam is out at Togwotee at the moment.....so I called Kent.......8 inches in the yard from yesterday's storm. Town got 6 plus.......on top of what's up at 10,000ft. got to be 3 feet plus.....oh yeah........

As luck would have it, the webcam is out at Togwotee at the moment.....so I called Kent.......8 inches in the yard from yesterday's storm. Town got 6 plus.......on top of what's up at 10,000ft. got to be 3 feet plus.....oh yeah........
    Do you know when they start grooming? Would like to bring my wife over for a little trail ride before it starts getting busy. Eric

The state controls the start of grooming. If we have enough snow it can be as soon as Dec. 10........they want a foot on the trail...to begin...

Carter, with the web cam being down, we need picture updates from you daily! just kidding.

What are the current conditions? Looks like a few storms are on their way

Go take a look at the Brooks Lake Web cam.

Go take a look at the Brooks Lake Web cam.
    Nice....thanks!
    I forgot about that cam

This Hwy cam is always a good go to as well, just up the road from the lodge.
    http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webc...RiverLake.html

Quote Originally Posted by polarisrider1 View Post
    See you for breakfast at Lava again?

Default snow....

Update.......its snowing.......Tog. got 6+......town got rain........supposed to go again Tonite for 4+ and small amounts each day all week....could make that another 12 at 10,000.........We be smiling.......

Update.......its snowing.......Tog. got 6+......town got rain........supposed to go again Tonite for 4+ and small amounts each day all week....could make that another 12 at 10,000.........We be smiling.......

Bet you are,

Quote Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
    Carter,
    What are you guys offering for sled rentals this season? A friend that rents called the reservation center just recently and she said he had his choice of either a Polaris RMK or Ski-Doo Summit. Just wondered if this is accurate as last season the Doo's were unavailable through the lodge?
    Jason, get the RMK and never look back.

In the 800 dept. we have all three.....polaris, Arctic Cat, and Ski Doo.....600 Doo's and Cats......

Looks like another big storm Thursday with the possiblity of 2 more large storms Dec 13/14 and Dec 17/18! Is it Jan 1 yet?

The storms are a stacking........now if we can just get the temp below freezing......Togwotee is doing ok for now, as town is still above 32......usually a 5 to 8 degree difference. So, let the stacking continue......and I'll ride a day or two for you, Indy.......

are you goin to L M L. in feb, wayne ?

Jason, get the RMK and never look back.
    LOL, I have a nice newer Summit XM, granted my Poo friends tell me its no RMK! At the time my friend was going to be renting, turned out he put on his big boy pants and bought himself a new SKS.

Snow report(s) please! My son and are riding after Christmas and I'm getting worried!!

Plenty of snow at Togwotee.
    Look at the webcam.
    I'll be there on the 28th and 29th

I am here now and there is plenty of snow. you have to be careful, but I had a blast the past 3 days. They can use more.
    Get a guide

I need help. I have a friend who needs a sled, in a crate, transported to Togwotee from Aroura Mn. north of Duluth,. He will pay for some fuel. He needs it asap. If anyone knows of someone heading this way with space on a trailer please let me know.

Got it handled. Thanks to all who may have considered.

Notice how we don't post winter storm warnings. It just shows up and we ride in it.....and its here.......

Snowed all day on Wednesday..........3 in the yard means 6 up top.....Meadow muffins one and all.......really, got to plan off trail riding right now, its deep and no bottom. 6 coming today.......Merry Christmas to all.......

So far not so safe out there this year.

Conditions are great..........12 inches Sat nite......pushing 2+ feet at 10000......2-4 coming today........great place to be right now........

Any condition updates? We are planned to leave in a week and things look warm!!!

I just got back last night. It was warm. Spring conditions. But Lefty still found us un-tracked snow every day for the 5 days that I was out there. Had a great time as always.

According to the forcast, we are getting a dump through Monday afternoon.....I think conditions are good. It doesn't take much to freshing up what we have, and a 10-20 would be "gulp" a great Feb. boost.....so cross your fingers.....

According to the forcast, we are getting a dump through Monday afternoon.....I think conditions are good. It doesn't take much to freshing up what we have, and a 10-20 would be "gulp" a great Feb. boost.....so cross your fingers.....
    what region are you talking about?

Thanks guys! The cam has been snowy today. Looking forward to hitting the road West on Friday!

Don't understand the meaning of your word "region".....as I am a guide at Togwotee Lodge I will always refer to the Togwotee area. We did not get the 20 as predicted,more like 10 on top and snow much of Mon. Conditions are good. WE are getting lots of small amounts and that is helping with the refresh. Conditions are better than last year at this time........

Any updates? Need a place to ride next week.

Their facebook page said that they received a foot over the weekend. I am anxious to hear what Carter says. I will be there is 10 days.