Default I am unable to post pics

I normally post 3-4 pics with my Bayfield/Valhalla posts. Now I can't post any and not sure why.

I open the insert image icon and then upload each pic individually from my computer then select files. When I attempt to click on the upload files box, the box goes away. Thus no pic can be uploaded, This has been going on at least two weeks.

Does the entire pop-up box go away? I can't say I can help out, but now I need to downsize all my pictures to 97k or less for them to load. If I don't, the pop-up box still stays open but I get and error message.

Test
    IMG_3920_50 (Custom) (2).jpg

Thanks gary. I resized down to 600x450 or 88.6kb which works.
    Last edited by woodside; 03-23-2016 at 09:16 AM.

Glad that worked for you Woodside and thanks Gary for your help. I have spent several hours trying to figure out why some cannot post images and have come up empty. I believe it is more tied into an individuals browser and/or computer settings, rather than the board, but there could be some kind of a crossover between the board and individuals.

I am still on the hunt for an IT person to help.

Paul has been awesome, but I hate to keep asking him for help as he has a very busy life of his own!

-John

Something definitely changed.
    The pics people post after resizing now we no longer get a thumbnail pic to click on to enlarge.
    Desktop, kindle and droid phone all say pics must be resized.
    Most of time I just used photobucket but when I did upload direct I never had to resize in the past. Fwiw.

We (pretty much Paul) is working on the image issue and a few other things.

Thanks Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    We (pretty much Paul) is working on the image issue and a few other things.

Thanks Paul!
    I'm able to help out again Paul. Shoot me an email if either of you guys need anything.

I have updated the size of the attachments, and also enabled thumbnails again. The only bad thing thing about increasing the size is the larger the file the longer it is going to take to load for some people. If anyone wants to give it a try and let me know if they get better results.

Paul

I realize this should be in the test section, but since you asked...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like that was a small picture anyway. Obviously the thumbnail doesn't show and when I inserted the photo I couldn't see it unless I previewed the post, or actually posted it. I'll try a larger file with this one.

Ok, that didn't work. The limit said it was 1400x1280 and I was something like 3000 x something. Another thing I noticed, I used to be able to browse and select 5 photos then upload them at once, this is now only allowing me to select one, then I have to upload it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just tried again, this time the box allowed me to select 5 and upload all at once, so that worked. I purposely selected photos I had previously posted on the site and they all said they were too large. They were about 2-3mg each.

I have playing with settings, so things will be changing, I will let you know when to try again.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Something else strange is going on with pictures lately.

When I posted (click →) this message yesterday the uploaded pictures actually appeared as pictures, even when I re-visited that thread later in the day, now today links have been substituted for the pictures. In all the years I've been on this site this is the first time I've ever seen that. (?)

(Of course this is the first time that I've ever chosen "From Computer" then the "Basic Uploader" after clicking on the Insert Image" icon, FWTW.)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I have playing with settings, so things will be changing, I will let you know when to try again.
    I'll come back and try things later tonight. If you want me to do something specific send me an email and I'll get back on sooner.

I am here too as I really value being able to post pics on this site. Plus those who ride our area appreciate being able to see for themselves.

Thanks for working to correct this issue.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

A little more information, FWIW (probably not worth much):

Previously, when posting pictures I used to click the Insert Image" icon, then "From URL", supplying a "public link" to the desired image in Dropbox. Without ever using the "Basic Uploader". That used to work quite nicely for JPG images of at least 640 x 480 pixels, if not more. Some time ago that was no longer an option, due in part to some changes in Dropbox.

I too have had little success recently in posting pictures of size similar to those that were previously successful, in spite of their size being within the forum criteria.

Part of the issue may involve where the image files reside.

Using the post "From URL" probably only stored that URL reference in the forum database, then on each subsequent access to such messages the image file would be dynamically retrieved from that external Dropbox link and rendered in the message.

On the other hand, using the "From Computer" method caused/causes the image file itself to be uploaded and stored in the forum database, thus each subsequent access to the message would cause the image file to be retrieved from there and rendered in the message.

The latter alternative of course places a greater file storage demand on the forum database than storing just the link to an external image file. (And the former method has the attendant risk of the image file eventually vanishing from the linked external location.)

I'm not sure how all this relates, but there it is.

^^^^
    Yeah, exactly what Frank said!