Default Carter's Corner 2016/2017 Season Snow reports and snow talk from Togwotee

A new season is upon us. Hope the summer went well for everyone. Now, lets get it on and may the snow gods shine on us....

May have some snow coming this weekend.

i was was at the lodge a few days ago for a fall trip. Wow is it beautiful there !
    Last edited by pez; 12-19-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pez View Post
    My have some snow coming this weekend.

i was was at the lodge a few days ago for a fall trip. Wow is it beautiful there !
    With all the rain this past week, the tops of the Tetons have snow.......that sure is a start....some of that will hold and some will melt, but what a start...

Hey Carter booked my trip to Togwotee for February 5 to 11 and trying to make sure I get either you or Noah as a guide. It's only me and my brother and realize we will be paired up with another group but don't want to ride with a group of beginners. The last year we went out the lady that took our reservation promised we would be paired with other experienced riders but ended up being a group that was there first time out west. Any help would be appreciated.

Get me more info........full name, and address.....then, come in nite before and jump me or Noah......we will make it happen....Feb.is tricky with group size lots of people there, but with 2 of us on your list I don't see a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by carter View Post
    Get me more info........full name, and address.....then, come in nite before and jump me or Noah......we will make it happen....Feb.is tricky with group size lots of people there, but with 2 of us on your list I don't see a problem.
    PM sent

Well.......we got our first pain in the ...... snow last night. In town 2+ on the ground and still coming down. Wet, sloppy, and fun to drive in. Mountain tops are pounded....Targhee pounded......Togwotee has inches in the parking lot....don't expect it to last long as the ground has no freeze yet but what a sight on Oct. 6.......more Later......."Come one come all to the greatest show on snow"....

Does the little gas station at Togwotee have non ethanol gas?

Yes it does......

Time for everyone to do a snow dance. I always get a little concerned this time of year, waiting for the snow. Then, bang the big dump......50 degree days in Wyoming in November need to go away. Help!!!!!! Dance.....

Ok, who was dancing?? Jackson got hit, 3 inches and still coming down....Togwotee got some and I can't tell how much.....so it begins. Now stay away warm weather at Tog........Makes me smile......

What are you riding this year Mr Carter? Will the black pearl be back?

I'm on an Axys 800. Yes, the black pearl will be back....have to see it to figure what all to change out. All new plastic as none of the Pro stuff fits....I did have my Fox shocks rebuilt for the Axys, that will be good.....Now that snow is on the ground I'm getting excited. I will see the sled on Tues. And to all who read Western Riding....Happy Thanksgiving....

Carter do you know if the BCA link system works with the regular hand held radios you use?

I know that the BCA link works with the Motorola Talk About radios.

Simple answer is yes...........The radio's most of us have are on the FRS frequency......or family radio system. This system in most all radios has a channel and a sub channel. As long as all your radio's are tuned to the same setting it doesn't matter what Brand name the radio is. However, there are a few lower priced radios out there without sub channels. If a guy in your group has one of those, the rest of the group can tune to his channel and a zero sub channel number and they all will work together. The BCA unit is nice in that you can quickly tune the mic as it has 4 I think settings....A, B, C, D,.....Very good radio....several of the guides had them last year. I have been using a radio system for so long its like not wearing underwear if I go out without one. The mic to the radio in the backpack keeps the radio protected, and puts the mic where you want it. I like it under my right ear. You are flying through a meadow and the thing starts to squawk, you know some one is on it, and you can get to a stop before using your throttle hand to respond.....kind of a safe thing for you. Most radios out there are the short distance type. Can't talk to the lodge 10 miles away....can't talk to a buddy stuck behind you 3 or 4 miles back, this is a real good short distance thing between friends riding together....under the ear, hear a noise, whats up, stop to check it out, and go back to help......I want you to know I have had occasion to hear people from a long way off when I'm up high and the line of sight is good and the signal can travel.So, to answer the question....the BCA is a good radio......

Quote Originally Posted by 9287jake View Post
    Carter do you know if the BCA link system works with the regular hand held radios you use?
    the bca is a nice set up . I know they work with our RCA set ups . a lot less money than I kicked out for the RCA's we have also . I really like the fact u have controls on the mic also. it is what I would buy if shopping for a new radio

I have no affiliation to this seller, other than I have bought from them in the past. They have great prices and I never see these radios on sale.
    http://www.snowbigdeal.com/bca-bc-link-radio.html

Thanks guys I just wanted to make sure I could use it with the radios most of us already have.

Went over Togwotee Pass today.........I can say I'm getting excited........just happened to look over in a spot and saw 14 inches on top of a down tree......that was at about 9000........the guides will do depth check in a day or two, and more storms are on the way.....its looking like a good start.......

The big dump.........showing 14 inches coming, don't know if that's in the yard or on top....if its yard then 20+ at 10000......can you say smiling........

Wed., my first day.....going to be cold....-15.....afternoon ride with a couple of guys who are really excited.....yes it will warm up but the start will pucker my pucker. I hope I can ride a little good stuff and let you all know the early season conditions start.......more later.................."Come one, come all to the greatest show on snow"....

Wed., my first day.....going to be cold....-15.....afternoon ride with a couple of guys who are really excited.....yes it will warm up but the start will pucker my pucker. I hope I can ride a little good stuff and let you all know the early season conditions start.......more later.................."Come one, come all to the greatest show on snow"....
    Looking forward to the update. Hoping to find some rideable snow next week and have Togwotee on my radar!

Quote Originally Posted by cooksend View Post
    Looking forward to the update. Hoping to find some rideable snow next week and have Togwotee on my radar!
    I hear you might not have to go very far.......

I will be there tomorrow!

My Wednesday update........the 2 guys I had today were not able to ride very well off trail, so I spend the afternoon in Squaw Basin. Riding in 2+ feet of powder to the dirt.....track hooked a couple of times on the dirt and threw the sled. Actually a ok day of riding. Reports have parts of Game creek at 3+ feet......considering 2 weeks ago we had dirt, this ain't bad for a start. The big news is forcast is for 12+ starting Fri.......and its warming up a bit......thats it for now..........

My Wednesday update........the 2 guys I had today were not able to ride very well off trail, so I spend the afternoon in Squaw Basin. Riding in 2+ feet of powder to the dirt.....track hooked a couple of times on the dirt and threw the sled. Actually a ok day of riding. Reports have parts of Game creek at 3+ feet......considering 2 weeks ago we had dirt, this ain't bad for a start. The big news is forcast is for 12+ starting Fri.......and its warming up a bit......thats it for now..........
    Thanks for the update Carter!

Update.....we are under a storm warning........18 inches in the mountains and 12 inches on the valley floor.....that 18 inch call is for the Gros Ventre range just south of Togwotee riding area....so we will get a lot of it as well....talked to the guys at B&M Fabricating and they are headed out this afternoon and already new about the storm, so it's real........you snow dancers been doing good..........more later...

......And.......just checked National Weather Service for our area, and it's forcast says through Sat. afternoon possible totals are 23 inches......oh boy,.....gonna get whopped.........keep dancing til I yell uncle........

Calling for snow totals of 34 inches by Sun. morning, with no stoping in sight......think about it......if we get half of that we are one step away from epic........and yes it will be bottomless with crap under to hit.......now if we get it all, well I got a Turbo to ride and the rest of you are screwed.......ok,I made a joke. Hey gang its happening.......come on out......more later...

Coming out December 25th-30th. Carter what is the pricing for a guide for 5 guys. All with decent mountain skills.

Those dates are blackout dates....I think you know that as you have booked. If you are staying somewhere else and riding Togwotee, the blackout date means no package deals, only alacart. Either way the guide fee is $59 per person per day not including a gratuity.......If you are serious, don't wait....we are really booked up at Christmas.......

- - - Updated - - -

Went out for a couple hours today........got up into the lower meadows in game creek......we went from dirt to deep really quick......conditions are deep and bottomless.I was riding in 3 on 3.......right now the conditions are what you dream about......still the problem of buried stuff to hit but its deep enough that most of it is being floated over......come get it.........

We are staying at Togwotee Lodge. I didn't book my buddy did so i good info on the blackout date. Anyways, we will call and request you. Thanks!!

Update......Noah said EPIC right now.........he's right.......and another foot forecast by Fri. nite, This is what the mountain rider dreams about.......this is what we have to remember when it gets hardpack later in the year.. So, if you are on the fence, make it happen........right now, "the greatest show on snow"...

Called today today for guide. Requested you, Carter. Rental shop said they should be able to make that happen for the 26th. See ya SOON! Thanks for the updates...

Snow is very deep. my first day out, bent an upper a-arm. Then the snow came. And lots of it! Over the hood powder for days. Pictures do not do it justice.

IMG_8030.jpgIMG_7982.jpgIMG_7981.jpgIMG_8288.jpg

carful out there guys body count already started

Nice Pics! You look good Jeff! Nice white ski tip.

Sun came out for 2 days....snow did become a little set up......not afraid to climb some things.....cold...-22 to start the day....warms to -3........its going to warm up and more snow on the way........Merry Christmas to all........

Sounds like an awesome start! We will be out there in a few weeks!! Cannot wait!

Just won't stop snowing.........storm warning today.......calling for 6 in. We got snow........

Just won't stop snowing.........storm warning today.......calling for 6 in. We got snow........
    That's what I like to hear! Rolling out on Sunday...

Heading out Monday. Forecast looks promising for more snow..

Snow was good, my trip was not! Snapped off ski and a sprained knee my 2nd day was not cool, but best snow at Togwotee I've ridden over new years in the last 3 years. FWIW there's areas in the snowys that just got 4' of fresh, a good 2'-3' across most of CO too 2 days ago. Tog probably got 8" across the 4 days I was there... I know where I'd be heading...

Indy, that sucks about your knee.

Alpine Last week. Will post pics from ride after the latest storm. Take care of your knee.

15698289_10211438615938539_5795885279237699323_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by indy_500 View Post
    Snow was good, my trip was not! Snapped off ski and a sprained knee my 2nd day was not cool, but best snow at Togwotee I've ridden over new years in the last 3 years. FWIW there's areas in the snowys that just got 4' of fresh, a good 2'-3' across most of CO too 2 days ago. Tog probably got 8" across the 4 days I was there... I know where I'd be heading...
    4 ft would be conservative... we got here on Wednesday in the snow. Lot of fresh powder, with 2-3 ft more coming sunday-tuesday, higher amounts on west side according to NOAA.

Leaving Tuesday to head out! Can't wait! Never been before.

Quote Originally Posted by cmharcou View Post
    Leaving Tuesday to head out! Can't wait! Never been before.
    I leave Tuesday as well. Snow is going to be great!

Not much chatter... for those that don't know Tog has received over 4 feet the last 4 days. The highway was shut down both ways leaving the lodge. Gas station ran out of fuel since no fuel trucks could run the roads to deliver, restaurant was running out of food, and the lodge was left without power for a bit. Absolutely pummeled with snow...

Not much chatter... for those that don't know Tog has received over 4 feet the last 4 days. The highway was shut down both ways leaving the lodge. Gas station ran out of fuel since no fuel trucks could run the roads to deliver, restaurant was running out of food, and the lodge was left without power for a bit. Absolutely pummeled with snow...
    I heard (second hand) the same from someone staying at the lodge right now.

Avy danger is super high at the moment as well.

That makes me nervous, my son and I are scheduled to arrive there on Tues Jan 17. for 4 days of riding. Any other updates?

23Hawk, make sure you get a guide and wear a avy pack, have probe, shovel and beacon and know how to use it.

Thanks Pez.........great advice...........staying off the climbs is also good advice.....right now is great riding, you have to know what you are doing.........off trail meadows and trees. The lodge has gas as of last nite....power back on.....food trucks arrived and restocked...come on and lets make some tracks...

My group will be out riding Jan 23rd- 27th, its almost go time! Seen a lot of people bitching on the Book of Faces about no power, no heat or food so I figured it must be bad or good!

Thanks Pez.........great advice...........staying off the climbs is also good advice.....right now is great riding, you have to know what you are doing.........off trail meadows and trees. The lodge has gas as of last nite....power back on.....food trucks arrived and restocked...come on and lets make some tracks...
    Is the heat back on?? Sure made for a cold couple of nights in the lodge... Temps in the lodge were 45 degrees Friday morning. But, the riding sure made up for it! Awesome conditions. Snow did start settling Friday. Still found some good fresh!

- - - Updated - - -

You must have been there the same time I was..

Looking at pulling the trigger on a turbo axys rmk. Would like to ride one before I spend the money. Question is if anyone around togwotee has a turbo axys to rent? Heading out first week of February. Bringing my own sled to ride most of the time just want to try the turbo a day or two. Thanks for the help.

Can't let you test drive it, but I have one for sale. It flat ****s and gits...........2017 Axys Pro 155 Sno check Red.......with a Boondocker Sidekick turbo. 220 hp.....It has the lineal power system, where when you are at 1/4 throttle you are at 1/4 boost, and at full throttle you are at full boost. Add on's are an after market rear Shock, Zbros A-arms.....comes with a cover, belt, tether, and under seat bag. 12 miles on it. The guy who owns it is having health issues and won't ride this year. He's got reciets showing $21,000. He would entertain an offer........If this is something you would be interested in, PM me....The sled sits at Togwotee........

Anyone from back home riding Tog this week that wouldn't mind me tagging along. Staying in Jackson for the winter. Snow has been good and another 18" upper elevation tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks, Brent

Can't let you test drive it, but I have one for sale. It flat ****s and gits...........2017 Axys Pro 155 Sno check Red.......with a Boondocker Sidekick turbo. 220 hp.....It has the lineal power system, where when you are at 1/4 throttle you are at 1/4 boost, and at full throttle you are at full boost. Add on's are an after market rear Shock, Zbros A-arms.....comes with a cover, belt, tether, and under seat bag. 12 miles on it. The guy who owns it is having health issues and won't ride this year. He's got reciets showing $21,000. He would entertain an offer........If this is something you would be interested in, PM me....The sled sits at Togwotee........
    Sent you a PM. Interested

Strange winter.....dumping feet, or -100.......so this time its a dumping feet thing....storm warning again....12-22 inches, and calling it for Yellowstone, Togwotee pass and Gros Ventre range.....so, if it comes we are going to get hammered again.......packing a bag.....last time this hit I was at Tog. 2 nites...road closed....oh darn.......come on out...

And I have a feeling by end of week we will be looking at 3-5 feet possible. What a great snow year! Come on guys, get out here.

On our way out to Togwotee. Doesn't look like it'll be hard to find good snow this week....

Just will not stop snowing.......conditions are way past excellent.

I posted these in other thread south of Jackson. But thought I better give props to Tog. Pictures from last 2 days. 2 miles down trail. 25 minute ride up into my honey hole. Conditions are EPIC! Oh and by the way. I left my tunnel bag unzip and had a yard sale on the trail. I stopped into the shop. All the guides were hanging out. One of the guides Matt found my stuff and I got it back. **** of a guy! Thank you.

another.jpgedit epic.jpgholy ****.jpganother big shot.jpg**** show.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trapped for 2 nites at the lodge....road closed to Jackson.....and while there these last 2 days another3 feet landed on the ground.....All I can say is stupid deep...........

Trapped for 2 nites at the lodge....road closed to Jackson.....and while there these last 2 days another3 feet landed on the ground.....All I can say is stupid deep...........
    Yep, stupid deep!

Holy smokes! I haven't checked the cams in a few days. Looks like the lodge will soon be buried! Are AVY packs/beacons required for being in the parking lot?!

-John

Yeah on our way home, rode Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday with Powder rolling over the top the whole time. Best powder we have seen. Will and Matt both did an Awesome job showing us the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Holy smokes! I haven't checked the cams in a few days. Looks like the lodge will soon be buried! Are AVY packs/beacons required for being in the parking lot?!

-John
    Yes, matter of fact. I kept mine on in the bar. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Fireworks, I posted the question about alpine. Is the weather looking better in Tog?

Will know more tomorrow. Not sure if we go to stash or Tog. Upper elevation should be fine.

How late in the year do they groom?couple of us thinking coming out to hill climbs and do a little riding.