Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Man's Trash

Greetings Kelly,

Glad to see your still tinkering with those fine machines.......I would recommend using some PB blaster on the rings and perhaps a piece from an old broken ring to clean out the grooves once you get the old rings out....

Keep up the good work, we're all patiently waiting for the snow to fall, and enjoy watching you restore another fine sled.

Kirk

skiroule, sorry for delay responding, the grit I use at my shop is 240, and yes silicon carbide, you don't want to remove much material, just put cross hatch back in cylinder. I could not tell if cylinders were chrome or cast by pic and not familiar with that engine, Im sure you already know this as you had mentioned about scratch test, but other thing to look for is any plating missing around intake or transfer ports.

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    skiroule, sorry for delay responding, the grit I use at my shop is 240, and yes silicon carbide, you don't want to remove much material, just put cross hatch back in cylinder. I could not tell if cylinders were chrome or cast by pic and not familiar with that engine, Im sure you already know this as you had mentioned about scratch test, but other thing to look for is any plating missing around intake or transfer ports.
    Thanks for the update euphoric1. All the info I can find says they are chrome and should be only minimally de-glazed. You make an important point about the radius on the ports being pristine. I've done a preliminary checkout of the ports and thought they looked good, no chips or flaking (fingers crossed). It will be a while before I get to the cylinders but I'll post the results when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by kirk600 View Post
    Glad to see your still tinkering with those fine machines.......I would recommend using some PB blaster on the rings and perhaps a piece from an old broken ring to clean out the grooves once you get the old rings out....
    Kirk
    Hey Kirk, glad to see you're still checking out the site. Hopefully you haven't retired your TX fleet. Took the 340 out for a spin a couple of days ago and I really need to make a New Year's resolution to ride this sled more often. It's deceptively quick and an absolute blast to ride. It's not surprising that a lot of vintage oval racers run a 340. I've ordered carb kits and new jets for it because it's way overdue for a carb rebuild but that's all I think it needs this year.

I did start cleaning one groove with the piece of broken ring I had and that led to quite a comedy of errors. As I was cleaning up the shop last night I couldn't find the chunk of ring anywhere. Peered down in the crankcase, yup, there it was. Have no idea how it got there. On this engine the tolerance between the crank counterweights and the case is so tight that the width of the ring (about 1 mm) locked up the crank at the bottom of the case. Eventually I thought I got lucky and pulled the chunk out with a grabber. Nope, still some missing - apparently I broke the ring chunk trying to rotate the crank to see down in the case. More magnets and tools and got a second chunk out. Still not all of it. More wire probe/magnet action and swearing, finally got all of it out - made sure by piecing it together with the rest of the ring off the piston, at least 99.9% sure.

Anyone who things this project is a well-oiled machine is mistaken.

Here's a shot of the offending ring section and the new guys that will replace what is there now.

Glad you found all the pieces of that ring Kelly, that could have really spelled disaster if you had that beer fridge up and running! Yes I still have me two 340’s just have not had decent weather to ride anything yet this winter.....last two weeks my vacation spent in garage working on cars and bikes........

The old rings are off and the pistons/grooves are cleaned up so they are ready for new rings. Also got the carbon/crud cleaned off the heads.

Decided to rebuild the carbs on the 340 TX and replace the head gaskets as long as I was messing with it. There had been some signs of seepage in the past so thought it would be a good idea. Got kind of a kick out of the difference in cylinder size between the 340 and the big Hirth. It remains to be seen whether all those CCís can take the little 340.

I had a real fear of mucking up the chrome plating on the cylinders so I decided to just give them a going over with maroon Scotchbrite and ATF to remove the glaze. The Scotchbrite did give it some super-fine cross-hatching but you need to look at the cylinder with a magnifying glass to see it. Probably not perfect they look pretty good for cylinders that are 45+ years old.

Been collecting a few bolts/tools via the web that I can’t find locally and got the top end back together. The header pipes and dual carb adapters have also been mounted. I stuck the boots on just for a test fit. They are actually Arctic Cat boots but since I’m not brand loyal they will be put to use. Think twin carbs will be a big improvement.

Also got a pleasant surprise on the starter. After getting delivery of a hex driver needed for removal, I got the starter off the motor and was able to bench test it. The drive works great and the motor sounds good. Just need to get it re-painted and it’s ready to go back on the motor. It’s a Bosch starter (not surprising since Hirth is also a German Co.) but interestingly enough, it says “Made in Spain” on the case. I suspect this starter had other applications.

Shop is getting a little crowded but still don't think I have a hoarding problem. Have modest goals on the RTX in the background, like getting some spark. If that is successful, the plan is to replace the Walbro with a 34mm Mikuni and jet the crap out of it for starters. It might get a little test ride this winter if I can get it running.

Living the dream you are! Very jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    Living the dream you are! Very jealous.
    Believe me, very few days go by that I don’t think about how well the retirement thing is working. No big nest egg to have a winter home in the Caribbean but the little shop is my happy place in the winter anyway.

Put some shine on the fan shroud tonight. Still have some trimming/filing to do on the dash frame cutout to clean it up but I wanted to see how the case would buff up. Going to leave some surfaces unpolished or maybe paint them.

Been shoveling wood in the stove like it’s a locomotive firebox but that’s I guess that’s what it takes at these temps.

Mill is mostly back together, still has good sparky-spark and should run once it gets fuel.

Looking very good!

She looks purtty! How's yer greasy elbow holding up? Hope you can still raise your mug!

The olí mug arm is holding up OK. It has to, failure to maintain mug control has consequences in our household.

With the motor basically buttoned-up, it looks like the next work sequence will be driver/track/suspension reassembly on the chassis. Itís a big job and itís been a long time, hope I can remember how everything goes back together. The parts diagrams will be a big help here.

Very nice job on engine! looks sweet!

Got the grime and dirt cleaned off the track and gave it the "used car lot treatment". Obviously it won't stay this way but I thought it should at least be clean for the initial install. Track isn't what I would call aggressive but it's in pretty good shape and doesn't have the metal cleat problem.

Cleared off some area on the shelves via running gear assembly. Only had a few left-over parts in the tote when I finished. As Iíve said before; ďHow important could they be if itís not obvious what they are for?Ē Actually, everything went together with a minimum of drama but there was quite a bit of referencing back to the parts diagrams.

We think itís a little silly now but you have to at least applaud the engineering effort. The rear hangers on this sled has three spring mounting anchor holes, presumably to provide the option of a soft, medium, or firm rear suspension setting. I put mine in the ďmediumĒ position causeí I sure donít want to risk having a rough ride.

I like the shine! Very nice.

Wow!!

You do such amazing work!

Following your progress on this has been a ton of fun. Almost don't want it to be finished!

Of course, I bet this will not be the last, Eh?

-John

Mark, I do seem to have a fascination with shiny things. I'm sure it's something that happened to me in my childhood. Actually, the non-shiny stuff (like the pan and hood) are the big hang-up now. I need to decide whether to buck up and have someone do the paint or wait until we get painting weather so I can do it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    You do such amazing work!

Following your progress on this has been a ton of fun. Almost don't want it to be finished!

Of course, I bet this will not be the last, Eh?

-John
    Thanks John, and I'm sure you'll have plenty of time for trips to the kitchen for snacks before this series is over. And yes, there will most likely be other projects down the line. Guess it's gotten into my blood now.

Wow, hard to believe itís been a month since Iíve shown any signs of life here. To tell the truth, the lingering snow and cold weather have kept me from getting serious about paint, which is a choke point right now. The up-side is that the ice fishing just keeps getting better.

Did come across something pretty cool in the mean-time though. Put out some feelers to see if anyone had even ever seen one of these and a guy from NY said he had one that he would sell. Itís a tool/storage bag that mounts to the inside of the pan (one side or the other, depending on the model). Hard to believe thereís any of these left around, much less in pretty good condition. Seems like it would be one of the first things that would get destroyed/lost. Itís actually bigger than it looks in the photo and would hold quite a bit of stuff if one were inclined to fill it.

That is a cool find! Like you said, can't be many of those around. Nice touch for your project!!

Wow, itís been a while. Have been working on the hood some when I can squeeze it into my ďbusyĒ schedule.

I will never have the title of master plastic welder but I was able to get to the point that I could weld the various cracks in the hood (think there were five overall). The welds seem plenty strong so it should be as good as new. Eventually I sanded and finished off the welds with ďMulti-FixĒ plastic filler, which bonds very well to the ABS plastic of the hood and welding rod.

The outside hood finish still required quite a bit of sanding/filling. There were a lot of spiderwebs in the paint that had to pretty much be sanded down to the base plastic. Looking at it now, the original paint process was pretty interesting. The painters first laid down a coat of top color and then shot a second layer of bright metallic gold. Then the final finish coat of color was sprayed on this gold base. I suspect that this gave the final color a lot of depth.

One more pass with 400 paper and itís on to primer. Hoping to have the hood, pan, and clutch guard painted by the end of June. Wonít go to the lengths that the factory did but it should look OK.

Neenah, Wisconsin. About 30 minutes south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

[QUOTE=skiroule;481061]Wow, it’s been a while. Have been working on the hood some when I can squeeze it into my “busy” schedule.

Ya, we were wondering...maybe you took a walk in the woods and.... something made a meal out of you.

Itís a smoky summer Saturday in northern MN so seems like a perfect day to post some snowmobile stuff.

Gary, I used to have a habit of wandering off into the woods until my wife discovered the effectiveness of a shock collar. Still twitch when I hear a bug zapper go off.

Welded the cracks on the dash/engine cover. Wasnít too concerned about finishing on the inside because the welds canít be seen from any angle once it's installed. Really canít do much more with this until I get the engine and carbs mounted, as I donít know if the Mikuniís will require some dash mods for clearance.

After a few weeks of soaking with Chem-Dip, the sludge, varnish, and other unknown chemicals in the bottom of the reserve tank cleaned out beautifully. Will need some new fittings but it shouldnít be too hard to find something. I plan to just use a plug on one because the return line wonít be required.

Hope to have some news on the paint soon, thereís been a slight change of plans.

Neenah, Wisconsin. About 30 minutes south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Skiroule.jpg

Poster found hanging in an Antique store in Appleton, Wi.

Guess this solves the problem of wondering what you can get me for Christmas.

The subject of this photo will be more impressive after installation but it ties into a previous post and I wanted to acknowledge a business that made an extra effort to help me with this project.

I needed a new dash decal but there were a couple of complications: First, I only needed the dash decal and not the rest of the decals that come with a full set, as this sled had none of the other factory decals. Second, because the switch had to be re-located to accommodate the tach, the decal shouldn’t have the switch position graphic, as part of it might not be covered by the tach frame.

I contacted “The Sled Printer” out of Slinger, WI (https://www.sledprinter.com/), since they were the only source that advertised the full Chaparral decal sets. I’m sure they would have rather sold me an off-the-shelf set but not only did they agree to sell me an individual decal at a reasonable price, they offered to make a special run to print it without the switch position graphic. They made the print run and I had it in four days. Pretty rewarding to find a business with this kind of service.

Since I’ve been known to screw things up, I ordered two.

That is awesome service! Very impressive.

I had planned to do the hood/pan painting myself but process took a little different turn. A local body shop guy, who is a street rod/rat rod enthusiast, found out that I had a 35 Ford slantback sitting out at the original family farm. He wanted to make a deal and since itís been sitting in a shed since 1976, it occurred to me that I might never get to it.

He offered to spray the hood/pan, in addition to kicking in some cash for the Ford so I took the deal. I had the parts all prepped but the only problem was, heís basically a one-man operation so it took a few weeks for him to get to it.

I wasnít really trying to duplicate the original color but the color I picked is eerily close to the original. He did a great job and the paint came out well. I can honestly say that in this case, the photos donít do it justice. I really like this color.

That color does look nice. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Looking very nice! and I agree with mspease cant wait for finished product!