Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    il
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Think someone gave my Doo water after midnight?

    They're multiplying!

    In my quest for a replacement hood for the TnT I bought a couple weeks ago, I stumbled across this beauty. The guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so it and a hood followed me home. It has a great hood, great chassis and runs great! Best of all, its free of clown makeup! Even has the original windshield, which are highly sought after, since replacements are unavailable.

    As is usually the case, I contacted the vintage guru himself, Mr. Skiroule, for some advice on how I should proceed. I was debating scavenging one of the 2 for parts. I'm sure some of you know where this is going! He fairly easily convinced me that that was the wrong path.

    Unlike some of today's youth, I was taught to respect my elders. I've decided to follow Mr. Skiroule's wisdom and guidance. Guess that means I'll be building 2 sleds now!

    [IMG[/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by snoluver1; 04-09-2017 at 09:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    226

    Default

    "Don't feed him after midnight "

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baudette, MN
    Posts
    1,929

    Default

    I think I like being considered an “elder”. It seems to imply a certain acquired wisdom (emphasis on “implied” – not necessarily a fact). Not sure about the value of my advice though because I’m pretty sure I’ve never been able to tear down a ride-able vintage sled for parts. Heck, I have trouble tearing down the ones that aren’t ride-able.

    Anyway, this is a great addition to your growing vintage collection. Seems like there is still a little room in the sled shed for a couple more though (unless that’s your new sleeping quarters).

    One of the cool things about the vintage world is that the season is really year-round. There’s always something to tweak and of course, the thrill of the never ending parts hunt. I suspect you’ll being doing both over the summer and we’ll see this pair on the snow come winter.

    Congrats on your new score, it looks like an awesome little sled!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    il
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Oh I'm definitely on thin ice with the war department. My next purchase may very well be a cot! But as they say, better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    Last edited by snoluver1; 04-11-2017 at 09:56 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kalamazoo, mi
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Well that didnt take long to multiply snoluver1.. Better consult with the family and possibly pick up a third (or fourth) so the whole family has one...the vintage sled community is really neat, and there seems to be vintage sled events almost every weekend in the winter. Sure they require a little work now and then, but they also require less snow to ride than the modern stuff does.
    Now in Michigan, we have a special "vintage sled registration" that never expires, and we don't have to buy a trail permit either. So the cost to keep them on the trail is pretty small. They just have to be 26 yrs old or older, and not ridden except for mechanical testing or during events or club activities .

    Best of luck on your second TNT also

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Munising
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kirk600 View Post
    Well that didnt take long to multiply snoluver1.. Better consult with the family and possibly pick up a third (or fourth) so the whole family has one...the vintage sled community is really neat, and there seems to be vintage sled events almost every weekend in the winter. Sure they require a little work now and then, but they also require less snow to ride than the modern stuff does.
    Now in Michigan, we have a special "vintage sled registration" that never expires, and we don't have to buy a trail permit either. So the cost to keep them on the trail is pretty small. They just have to be 26 yrs old or older, and not ridden except for mechanical testing or during events or club activities .

    Best of luck on your second TNT also
    I did not know this existed..... Just another reason to go relic... http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7...1608--,00.html
    9 more years and my 2000 srx is a relic!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    il
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kirk600 View Post
    Well that didnt take long to multiply snoluver1..
    Kelly taught me well! Lol

    Quote Originally Posted by snocrazy View Post
    I did not know this existed..... Just another reason to go relic...
    I knew they had vintage registration, but I was under the impression it was for residents only. Good to know, non residents are able to utilize this as well.

    It would be really nice if you could just get a card or something to carry on you, instead of a sticker to mess up your freshly restored hood.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Oakdale MN
    Posts
    2,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoluver1 View Post
    Kelly taught me well! Lol



    I knew they had vintage registration, but I was under the impression it was for residents only. Good to know, non residents are able to utilize this as well.

    It would be really nice if you could just get a card or something to carry on you, instead of a sticker to mess up your freshly restored hood.
    Non residents can get historic registration? Didn't see that or is it in the application?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baudette, MN
    Posts
    1,929

    Default

    Cool to see the states providing some alternatives for the vintage crowd.

    I was informed of an awesome program in MN via a chance encounter with a conservation officer when I was out test-riding one of the TX's. Turns out you can get a collector snowmobile operator permit in lieu of collector(25 years old or older) sled registration. There are three things about this program that are a real plus for some of us that seem to have a habit of accumulating machines: Each permit can cover up to 8 vintage sleds and you can apply for more than one permit if need be, registration of the sleds is not required (although they can also be registered), and its totally FREE.

    Four copies of the form are required that identify the make, model, serial # etc. of each sled and all copies must be signed by a conservation officer. Then you mail the forms to the state and the state sends one form back. Boom, you're covered.

    No numbers or registration/trail stickers are required but you have to carry the form at all times when riding and use is limited to vintage rides, events, etc. and 10 days of personal use per year, although I'm not sure who is counting.

    I won't say how the officer came to feel the need to tell me about this program but you can probably figure it out.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    il
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweeperguy View Post
    Non residents can get historic registration? Didn't see that or is it in the application?
    I didn't see it specifically in writing, but found a thread on vintagesleds where the topic was discussed. Seems you can register a historic sled in both Michigan and Wisconsin as a non resident. Suppose one would need to contact the DNR for confirmation.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    il
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skiroule View Post
    Cool to see the states providing some alternatives for the vintage crowd.

    I was informed of an awesome program in MN via a chance encounter with a conservation officer when I was out test-riding one of the TX's. Turns out you can get a collector snowmobile operator permit in lieu of collector(25 years old or older) sled registration. There are three things about this program that are a real plus for some of us that seem to have a habit of accumulating machines: Each permit can cover up to 8 vintage sleds and you can apply for more than one permit if need be, registration of the sleds is not required (although they can also be registered), and its totally FREE.

    Four copies of the form are required that identify the make, model, serial # etc. of each sled and all copies must be signed by a conservation officer. Then you mail the forms to the state and the state sends one form back. Boom, you're covered.

    No numbers or registration/trail stickers are required but you have to carry the form at all times when riding and use is limited to vintage rides, events, etc. and 10 days of personal use per year, although I'm not sure who is counting.

    I won't say how the officer came to feel the need to tell me about this program but you can probably figure it out.
    Sounds like MN has it figured out!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baudette, MN
    Posts
    1,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoluver1 View Post
    Sounds like MN has it figured out!
    Yeah, it seems like a good way to encourage people to preserve and actually continue to ride these pieces of snowmobiling history.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kalamazoo, mi
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Snoluver1, you could put the decal on the windshield instead of the hood........but the decal is pretty small compared to our traditional registration stickers, probably 1/3 the size

    If your interested, contact someone here in MI, either DNR or Secretary Of State Office about "out of state" registrations. A good friend who lives in Tennessee has been registering his sleds here for close to 20 years without any problems.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    il
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kirk600 View Post
    Snoluver1, you could put the decal on the windshield instead of the hood........but the decal is pretty small compared to our traditional registration stickers, probably 1/3 the size

    If your interested, contact someone here in MI, either DNR or Secretary Of State Office about "out of state" registrations. A good friend who lives in Tennessee has been registering his sleds here for close to 20 years without any problems.
    I'll definitely be looking into this when the time comes. Thanks Kirk.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» July 2020

S M T W T F S
282930 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1

» Stats

Members: 20,277
Threads: 28,590
Posts: 338,980

» Online Users: 65

10 members and 55 guests
Most users ever online was 2,946, 07-12-2019 at 01:11 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0