Default Bayfield/Valhalla

Had a nice ride with Laura and Jonathon out of www.woodsidecottages.com today. The FR's were good to excellent with 6-7" of fresh snow and the few trails we rode were fair to very good.

The trails that are on forest roads (TR19, 51, 31N, 40) provide good riding and have a solid base but the ones going through the woods need another 6" of wet snow to fill in the holes, ruts, etc.

Only saw about 6 other sleds and broke trail on many of the FR's.IMG_3072.JPGIMG_3071.JPGIMG_3070.JPG

Any updated reports here?

FR riding has been very good and trails have been groomed and range from fair to very good. We rode Saturday and will be going out again starting Friday.

NWS is calling for 2-5" through Wednesday morning. 1" of light snow thus far.

Woodside
    Is there enough snow to come from Brule via trail#1 into Portwing? I know there are options out of Portwing to get away from the lake into better snow. Thanks in advance for information.

Closures:

– Trail 4 east in the Mason area is temporarily closed from the point where trail 63 hits Wilson Road all the way to Ashland County until further notice.

– Trail 31S in Barnes is currently closed between Seeley Fire Lane and 43 Rd due to unsafe trail conditions. (I think this part has opened)

– Trail 1 near Port Wing: Due to a new round of heavy logging on private property, the portion of snowmobile 1 from highway 13 east of Port Wing to Touve RD. will be closed until further notice. At this time there is no viable reroute.

– Trail 63 in the Cable Area: Trail 63 just south of the intersection with Trail 70 south of the town of Cable is closed until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by rlspol View Post
    Woodside
    Is there enough snow to come from Brule via trail#1 into Portwing? I know there are options out of Portwing to get away from the lake into better snow. Thanks in advance for information.
    Sorry but I can't help you with your question. We do not ride that area as snow conditions there are usually far less than the Bayfield/Valhalla area.

Our group of 11 rode today and had excellent riding on the FR's which had up to 6" of fresh snow. We spent the morning and early afternoon on FR's ans saw no other sleds. There is up to 20" of snow in the woods and on old logging roads that no one rides but us.

We rode trails after a lunch stop at the PubNGrub and saw only 3 sleds all afternoon. The trails we rode TR31/1/51 (all north of Valhalla and west of Bayfield) were good to excellent.

There about 15-20 sleds at the Pub so traffic was very light probably due to the cold weather.

No pics as I forgot my phone at home.

I just got back from that area and I would say ---- ride to Iron River and then north. The trail from Port to Herbster is closed, and the snow is lean west of Port.

Ok thanks for information GLT and Woodside

Quote Originally Posted by woodside View Post
    Sorry but I can't help you with your question. We do not ride that area as snow conditions there are usually far less than the Bayfield/Valhalla area.

Our group of 11 rode today and had excellent riding on the FR's which had up to 6" of fresh snow. We spent the morning and early afternoon on FR's ans saw no other sleds. There is up to 20" of snow in the woods and on old logging roads that no one rides but us.

We rode trails after a lunch stop at the PubNGrub and saw only 3 sleds all afternoon. The trails we rode TR31/1/51 (all north of Valhalla and west of Bayfield) were good to excellent.

There about 15-20 sleds at the Pub so traffic was very light probably due to the cold weather.

No pics as I forgot my phone at home.
    The Pub n Grub, that’s funny, I looked at there camera shot the other day and it showed a dirt parking lot, probably “technical difficulties”! I know there’s snow up there! Ride on!

It was just posted on Bayfield Co Snowmobile Alliance FB page that the gates on trail 1 between Herbster and Port Wing are open.

20180106_084247.jpg20180106_084329.jpg20180106_095144_001.jpgCovered 111 miles of FRs and a combination of trails with Nick, Ashley, and RD, riding from Butterfield Rd thru the Barrens to Iron River and back. A mix of fair, good, & excellent...the best being in the northern section of Bayfield County. Just a heads-up: Trail 43 had not been groomed. Saw about 15 - 20 sleds on the trails. P.S. Missed you today, Woodside!
    www.woodsidecottages.com
    Last edited by candyman; 01-06-2018 at 07:55 PM.

I rode today and saw a lot of sled between IR and PubnGrub. Trail 43 wasn't bad compared to the Battle Axe trail, all other trails were very good.

We are going to be up in that area this week, with snow in the out look and grooming for the week, hope it improves. Seems like 31 heading north is always so,so. Not sure if its because of traffic or grooming schedule

If you go to the PubnGrub website - In the upper left corner it has the link to the new web cam - trails were good Saturday and Sunday

We are going to be up in that area this week, with snow in the out look and grooming for the week, hope it improves. Seems like 31 heading north is always so,so. Not sure if its because of traffic or grooming schedule
    TR31N or the Pub and Valhalla area towards Bayfield was good Friday and was just groomed. TR31 north of Iron River towards Valhalla can get a bit worn and needs a good amount of snow as it gets most of the the IR to Valhalla traffic.

TR3 north from IR and then TR40 east to the Valhalla area is usually a better option. Unless you ride the FR's which is what we do when we ride to the IR area.

Missed you too Candyman and looks like you guys had a good ride.
    Lets go out Wednesday and do some brushing and signs with the warmer weather.

Definitely better riding north of HWY 2 this last weekend. Mostly due to better snow conditions. TR31 on both Friday and Sunday was in pretty good conditions IMHO considering early season snow and the amount of traffic that trail gets. I think 6 - 12" of snow and the entire Bayfield County will be in great condition.
    Last edited by MorganKoda; 01-08-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo correction

FR roads are in the plan, know the area fairly well but haven't been in the area as much as pervious years. Sometimes get a wrench thrown at ya when a FR is plowed that wasn't in the past. South of IR to Barnes used to be great for FR, but then they started plowing them all.

Anyway, its all going to be better than where I am at now...................

FR roads are in the plan, know the area fairly well but haven't been in the area as much as pervious years. Sometimes get a wrench thrown at ya when a FR is plowed that wasn't in the past. South of IR to Barnes used to be great for FR, but then they started plowing them all.

Anyway, its all going to be better than where I am at now...................
    FR248/245 going east of TR3 were both good Saturday. Then head north which can be a bit tricky unless you know the FR's we... We ride 31N as little as possible. Head to the east side of the forest and take FR697 north up just about to Cty C then TR31 to the Pub for gas/food/bev.

One forecast calls for 6-10" Wednesday into Thursday. If so conditions in the Bayfield/Valhalla area will be prime!!

FR248/245 going east of TR3 were both good Saturday. Then head north which can be a bit tricky unless you know the FR's we... We ride 31N as little as possible. Head to the east side of the forest and take FR697 north up just about to Cty C then TR31 to the Pub for gas/food/bev.

One forecast calls for 6-10" Wednesday into Thursday. If so conditions in the Bayfield/Valhalla area will be prime!!
    Thanks for info Woodside, we will be on them Friday, maybe we will run into you at Pub and Grub

Will this area hold up with the warm weather and low snow predicted now for this weekend

Rode from Pub & Grub mon & tues(8&9 Jan). rode FR mon, all good to very good. late in the day decided to go to Herbster, trail not groomed to Herbster, in town the trail is re-routed, trail is routed between trees that are just wide enough to get the sled thru, then stakes set a littler wider than the sled. roads are plowed down to gravel. back tracked to the trail & decided to go to Corny. trail not groomed to Corny. It appears both areas don't care that much for snowmobiles. Tues rode the trails,, took 31N to 1E with the intention of going to red Cliff, came to a jct on Weidinger rd with no arrow indicating which way to go, backed to the jct of 1/31, E on 1 to 51S to Valhalla, 31S to Iron river, the snow got a little thinner near IR, but still rideable. food & fuel at IR t, then E on 2 to Ino & then north on the forest roads for the rest of the day. all forest rds were very good. trail 31N, 1W from the jct of !/31, & 51S were very good. I heard that the grooming to Red Cliff has been terminated.

Rode from Brule to Port Wing then to Valhalla yesterday. Little dicey navigating around Port Wing, but found our way. All in all snow was good.

I used to sled in the Brule, Lake Nabagamon, Iron River and Bayfield areas often and loved stopping in Cornucopia for an Elsie Burger. I stopped by this page to check on conditions because I'd like to make a trip to the area with the family next weekend. It's too bad the local businesses aren't taking the sledders and trail conditions seriously. I'm not sure I'd like to male the trip if the trail conditions aren't that great because grooming is no longer done.

Just finished up a day and a half up in iron river, little over 300 miles rode 50/50 trail, forest roads, all in all good riding to the north of 2 rode down to Barnes Drummond gets thinner down there, nice to have first ride in only met handful of sleds

Agree with Snowchief, much better snow north of 2. We rode to Delta Diner today then south through Barnes, took 17 and 217 to Gordon, these trails where excellent for mid-day Saturday, thru Solon Springs back to Brule over to Deep Lake Lodge for supper. Except for a few small areas all trails where good.

Did you have big group of polaris around 5ish? We left deep lake lodge about then seen big group coming in

Quote Originally Posted by fast325it View Post
    I used to sled in the Brule, Lake Nabagamon, Iron River and Bayfield areas often and loved stopping in Cornucopia for an Elsie Burger. I stopped by this page to check on conditions because I'd like to make a trip to the area with the family next weekend. It's too bad the local businesses aren't taking the sledders and trail conditions seriously. I'm not sure I'd like to male the trip if the trail conditions aren't that great because grooming is no longer done.
    There is only one place open now in Corny, Nikki's(formally Fish Lips), heard it is only open Friday Saturday and Sunday at 4pm. Every business in Iron River area are wonderful and the trails are also good.

Quote Originally Posted by snowchief View Post
    Did you have big group of polaris around 5ish? We left deep lake lodge about then seen big group coming in
    We hit Deep Lake at about 5:40 Saturday night. 8 Poos and 1 lonely Cat.��

Had a great weekend with the crew from Woodside. First time there, and certainly will not be the last.
    Everyone in the group was great to ride with, and had a great time! Jonathan and Laura have an amazing place.
    Will be back with a machine that's not broken down and riding partner that is not sick with the flu!!

GO VIKES!!!!!
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by improved700 View Post
    Had a great weekend with the crew from Woodside. First time there, and certainly will not be the last.
    Everyone in the group was great to ride with, and had a great time! Jonathan and Laura have an amazing place.
    Will be back with a machine that's not broken down and riding partner that is not sick with the flu!!

GO VIKES!!!!!
    Kev
    Great meeting you this weekend, Kevin! So glad that you enjoyed your time here at Woodside! Hope you can return soon!
    Here are a few pics from the ride(s), three days and 15 sledders:
    Attached Images Attached Images

We ended up with about 350 miles in the area, didn't ride 31S at all from Valhalla, for the most part all was good. Like other comments on this thread heading south for sure less snow. Looked like they where going to get more today up that way.

We had very good riding Friday-Monday in the Bayfield/Valhalla area with friends and Woodside Cottage guests. FR's are good to very good and most sections of the trails are the same. Jackie and I rode with Laura and Jonathon from www.woodsidecottages.com Monday afternoon just prior to the heavy LES that added about 6" to the snow depth.

There are short sections of trails where logging is taking place so expect those areas to be plowed: TR1 east of Henken Rd, TR51 past Jodi Rd and TR41 east of TR19. Plus some of the FR's between TR19 and TR40 are plowed for logging as well as Henken Rd and Echo Valley Rd north of Star Route.

With the fresh snow from yesterday, conditions will be excellent.IMG_3085.JPGIMG_3088.JPGIMG_3086.JPGIMG_3087.JPG

how the trails holding up through these warm temps? coming up Tuesday for three days, thanks for any good news.

Yesterday we rode from Drummond up through Delta over to Washburn then up to Valhalla and as far north as Red Cliff then dropped back down through Valhalla area to Iron River. From Iron River we dropped 31 over to 18 then 17 South into Barnes, ending back in Drummond. The fire roads are all pretty well tracked up in Valhalla but the trails were holding up just as well as they can. Traffic is taking its toll any direction you go out of Iron River for the first 5 to 10 miles. You may have excellent timing as they're forecasting some pretty good snow here Sunday night into Tuesday morning.

Tons of of traffic today, need snow and time for the groomers to whip it into shape. Your call, but snow is on the way, but not the BIG snow as forecasted earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyDobe View Post
    Tons of of traffic today, need snow and time for the groomers to whip it into shape. Your call, but snow is on the way, but not the BIG snow as forecasted earlier.
    LoveMyDobe, I am seeing almost a foot forcast for your area, have they backed off that?

Thanks

Went from 18” on Friday down to 1” now for Hayward.

Yep, maybe 1" here for Bayfield too. Bummer!

Trails we rode yesterday were 31N of Valhalla, fair to good; TR19 and TR 40/41 very good east of TR1. See pic of TR19 about 3pm Saturday which was excellent.. 31N area towards Bayfield did not get as much LES Monday compared to further west and southwest. All the FR's were good to very good and most had 6-8" of fresh snow on the side. We found a few that had only seen a sled or two since the LES Monday. (See pic)

Even an inch or two will give the groomer fresh snow to work with to fill in after the moderate amount of sleds this weekend.IMG_3090.JPGIMG_3094.JPG

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Yep, maybe 1" here for Bayfield too. Bummer! …
    Ahhh, the famous “Bayfield Bomber, er … Bummer”!

LoveMyDobe, I am seeing almost a foot forcast for your area, have they backed off that?

Thanks
    Yep they changed the snow warning to advisory. Snowing very lightly now west of Iron River(doesn't show up on radar) Saying 1 to 3 inches. 43 degrees on Thursday

Any new updates for this area? Thinking about heading up next week for the weekend.

20180202_125644_001.jpg20180202_130612.jpg20180202_130713.jpg20180202_131330.jpg20180202_131705.jpg20180202_142010.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by todddnewprague View Post
    Any new updates for this area? Thinking about heading up next week for the weekend.
    Pictures from today's ride: Trails 31, 19, 1, 41, and a couple of FRs all north of Valhalla
    www.woodsidecottages.com

Is it possible to get into Iron River for lunch or is the snow too thin?

Quote Originally Posted by bubba800 View Post
    Is it possible to get into Iron River for lunch or is the snow too thin?
    No problem getting into IR, trails are good and snowing now, expecting up to 5 inches today

Quote Originally Posted by candyman View Post
    Awesome pictures Jonathan!
    Looking forward to our next adventure to WOODSIDE!!!!

Awesome pictures Jonathan!
    Looking forward to our next adventure to WOODSIDE!!!!
    Hi Kevin! Get your butt up here next weekend, as Dobe said above, we're expecting 3-6 the next few days. Mike W. has already booked and will be here with a small crew.

Hi Kevin! Get your butt up here next weekend, as Dobe said above, we're expecting 3-6 the next few days. Mike W. has already booked and will be here with a small crew.
    Only a couple inches around IR yesterday and not a ton of traffic.

Had a great weekend with candyman; found some logging roads that hadn't been tracked up and got stuck a couple times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Had a great weekend with candyman; found some logging roads that hadn't been tracked up and got stuck a couple times.
    Thanks again bubba800 and crew for choosing to stay at www.woodsidecottages.com. Let's hope for a fresh foot so we can get back out there again this winter.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

T'is nice to see y'all had a great weekend.
    The pic — with all those "smiling faces" says it all!

20180220_140929_001.jpg20180220_162735.jpg20180220_162721.jpg20180220_162700.jpg20180220_162636.jpg
    Yep...we got some snow! Just a little lunch date with my gal at the P&G. Looking forward to a ride with woodside and Richard later this week! www.woodsidecottages.com

Looking good Candyman. Lucky you as I have been busy doing snow removal.

Rode with Candyman and Woodside Cottages guests pushing 12"+ of fresh snow mostly of Forest Roads. Found some 30" deep stuff so getting stuck was very likely. Got another 6" last night so the total this week is around 20-22IMG_3334.JPGIMG_3323.JPGIMG_3328.JPGIMG_3320.JPG". Groomers haven't had a chance to catch up but trail conditions should be ideal early this week.
    Last edited by woodside; 02-25-2018 at 12:12 PM.

We came up Thursday night and stayed at Valhalla Cabins next to Pub and Grub. Rode fresh powder all day Friday and it was awesome, passed the groomer when we were pulling into the cabin around 5:00pm. Rode the fresh groomed Saturday morning and headed home before the storm started. Beautiful area, we are planning a couple atv/sxs trips this summer up there.

20180223_142114.jpg20180223_154346.jpg20180223_154352.jpg20180224_105544.jpg20180223_160039.jpg

More pics from this weekend's ride with Woodside Cottages' guests. Thank you bubba800 and woodside and crew for another awesome weekend of riding!

Great pictures Jonathan.
    You think things will hold up through the week with that warm u?
    Got ride of the 1200 and picked up a new 850 BackCountry.
    Need to get some snow under her!!!!

Kev

Great pictures Jonathan.
    You think things will hold up through the week with that warm u?
    Got ride of the 1200 and picked up a new 850 BackCountry.
    Need to get some snow under her!!!!

Kev
    For Sure!!! Just like Woodside said "conditions should be ideal this week"! 850 BC, now I'm jealous!!!

For Sure!!! Just like Woodside said "conditions should be ideal this week"! 850 BC, now I'm jealous!!!
    850 BC? That about when I was born.

Warmer weather will harden the trails especially after it freezes at night then will loosen during the day. Scratchers may come in handy for the morning. Same for the FR's. At this time, today will be the warmest day of the week at 38.

Candyman and I may just "have" to take a short ride later this week.

850 BC? That about when I was born.

Warmer weather will harden the trails especially after it freezes at night then will loosen during the day. Scratchers may come in handy for the morning. Same for the FR's. At this time, today will be the warmest day of the week at 38.

Candyman and I may just "have" to take a short ride later this week.
    Now that right there was damm funny Woodie.....

I did a short ride this afternoon west of Bayfield and north of Valhalla. I didn't want to end my ride as conditions were so good.

IMG_3364.JPGIMG_3348.JPGIMG_3354.JPGIMG_3356.JPGThe trails I rode (short sections of 31N, 51, and 19) were excellent and firm even during mid-afternoon with 36 degree temp and sunny conditions. The base is solid and there we no ruts. The Forest Roads are softer with 1-2" of snowball consistency on top of a deep base and over 2 feet of snow on the edges. Advise the use of scratchers on the trails during the morning until temps warm as it freezes during the night.

With the potential for rain Sunday and Monday and the excellent trail conditions, this is a great time to ride in Northern Bayfield County. We plan on being out there starting Friday.

20180302_131510.jpg20180302_132906.jpg20180302_153904.jpgYesteday's ride...Heading out there again today. They're saying more snow is in the forecast. We'll keep you posted! www.woodsidecottages.com

what's the latest trail reports for Bayfield county? Any decent riding south of corridor or need to stay to the north?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydog View Post
    what's the latest trail reports for Bayfield county? Any decent riding south of corridor or need to stay to the north?
    North of the corridor got shut out. Cable received 5 inches, Hayward 9 inches. We rode Saturday trail 13 south to the corridor up trail 63 to 31. Only rode 31 for a short distance, it had gotten the snot kicked out of it by the afternoon. Fire roads north of 251 in much better shape than anything we rode south of it. As usual fire roads and trails north of Valhalla at the end of the day were holding up well.

Id believe it. We arrived here at treelands resort. Looks to be plenty of snow. Cant wait to go out and explore.

We ended up in Bayfield at the Legendary Waters Resort/Casino. Snow conditions were good to very good. Went down through Valhalla and over to Iron River and back up through west side of the peninsula. Arguably the best scenery and changes in grade I've ever ridden. I will go back. Then went out to the Apostle Islands as well. Looks of snow in the woods as we did a lot of digging sleds out.

Thanks Candyman. I think we will stay around Hayward area this time. Just wanted to say thanks to you and Woodside for your honest trail reports and pics throughout the year. We have been to Bayfield CO plenty of times over the years but still need to ride the "fire road experience" with you or woodside. Will look you up at Woodside Cottages next year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydog View Post
    Thanks Candyman. I think we will stay around Hayward area this time. Just wanted to say thanks to you and Woodside for your honest trail reports and pics throughout the year. We have been to Bayfield CO plenty of times over the years but still need to ride the "fire road experience" with you or woodside. Will look you up at Woodside Cottages next year!!
    Your welcome Scottydog! Can't blame you on the Hayward decision,our cabin is about 1/2 mile from the Chippewa Flowage, great area to spend a weekend snowmobiling.I might have to sneak down there on Saturday morning?? Stop in at Deerfoot Lodge and say hi to Jim and Amanda from Wooodside Cottages.

20180307_141816.jpg20180307_142727.jpg20180307_171631.jpg20180307_165530.jpg20180307_143522.jpg20180307_152849.jpg
    We were feeling kinda left out cuz we didn't get the snow that everyone else got south of us. So we went for a ride this afternoon and we're feeling better now www.woodsidecottages.com
    Last edited by candyman; 03-07-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Snirtdawg were did you go out to the islands, and how was the ice?

We went out to Madeline Island (Beach Bar) Sunday afternoon. Ice was fine, it's weird seeing the headlights of cars crossing over from Bayfield on the ice road.

about how long would it take to get up to apostles from Hayward area? Do you think its passable with current conditions and is it easy to navigate or would we need specific knowledge to get there on forest roads ,etc? thanks.

We joined Candyman for a 150 mile run down to Barnes yesterday. Conditions south of Brule on TR27 & 7 were good for the most part with some expected bare spots, bumpy corners and wear due to higher sled volume. Much better north of Barnes on TR17 & 18.

Trails in the Valhalla area were all groomed and were hard, very smooth and flat. Scratchers were a big help but not needed in the afternoon. Expect the hi fax to take a hit on the usual 1/4 mile plow on TR40 just east of Old Baldy and the mile section of TR3 just south of FR248. I don't understand why the township plow jockeys don't use their wing plow and provide a place to ride on the edge.

Trails south and north of Valhalla were excellent and showed no wear and tear due to very light traffic north of the Hwy 2 Corridor on our return, even TR31 south of Valhalla. We saw a total of 4 sleds in that 25 mile stretch. FR's are hard so we gave them a rest for the most part this time out.

Anyone looking for a great ride, trails will be in great shape yet this week even with the warmer temps. Scratchers will come in handy until conditions loosen. Access is good into the Pub and Grub. Candyman at www.woodsidecottages.com will probably do some riding and would be happy to have you join him.

We joined Candyman for a 150 mile run down to Barnes yesterday. Conditions south of Brule on TR27 & 7 were good for the most part with some expected bare spots, bumpy corners and wear due to higher sled volume. Much better north of Barnes on TR17 & 18.

Trails in the Valhalla area were all groomed and were hard, very smooth and flat. Scratchers were a big help but not needed in the afternoon. Expect the hi fax to take a hit on the usual 1/4 mile plow on TR40 just east of Old Baldy and the mile section of TR3 just south of FR248. I don't understand why the township plow jockeys don't use their wing plow and provide a place to ride on the edge.

Trails south and north of Valhalla were excellent and showed no wear and tear due to very light traffic north of the Hwy 2 Corridor on our return, even TR31 south of Valhalla. We saw a total of 4 sleds in that 25 mile stretch. FR's are hard so we gave them a rest for the most part this time out.

Anyone looking for a great ride, trails will be in great shape yet this week even with the warmer temps. Scratchers will come in handy until conditions loosen. Access is good into the Pub and Grub. Candyman at www.woodsidecottages.com will probably do some riding and would be happy to have you join him.
    Sorry no pics from yesterday's ride. Just tried to keep up with Woodside all day! Great ride!

Thanks for the good time, candyman, Woodside, & Dock. Your patience with our girls was excellent. Allowing us to speed up with Woodside & stay behind with the girls. Looks like I'm coming up early on Wednesday morn. Thanks again. You guys are a class act!

Quote Originally Posted by rmk4ever View Post
    Thanks for the good time, candyman, Woodside, & Dock. Your patience with our girls was excellent. Allowing us to speed up with Woodside & stay behind with the girls. Looks like I'm coming up early on Wednesday morn. Thanks again. You guys are a class act!
    It was our pleasure! As the saying goes, "It's not how many miles, it's how many smiles!" Thank you for staying with us again! We'll look forward to the next time!
    www.woodsidecottages.com

Rode Bayfield county all of Sunday. Put on 225 miles from Lakewoods Resort in Cable to up to Red Cliff and back. Best trails by far were corridor 2 north. 2 was freshly groomed and excellent. Got on it at trail 4 and headed toward Ashland. We had seen a ton of deer all day and I made the off handed comment that the way it was going we would be bringing home venison. That was a stupid thing to say when 6 miles latter a small doe comes right over the steep grade edge and I hit her at 90+. O I was pissed!! Her head hit the the a frame and killed her instantly, I was glad because I hate seeing them suffer. Managed to bend the frame back most of the way with a tow strap and another sled. Will finish tweaking here, but it's handling well, and has no cracks or other damage so I'll be happy.

Trails from 2 north were just great and the only other place I had seen as nice this past weekend was the Tuscobia in Price county and the other trails in the Northwest corner of Price. Ashland county was flat and hard, but in one spot we were on blacktop for almost 2 miles. Yes my sled needs new carbides.

We got up to Red Cliff, the trails were just so nice. Woodside they were great and if you know who's grooming tell them Thank-you it really is appreciated. From there we dropped onto Lake Superior and ran the ice all the way to Washburn. There were a few ice heaves, and such. O and watch out for ice fishing holes, but she seemed nice and solid. We have some beautiful pictures of ice caves south of Bayfield along the cliffs. Do you go out by them Woodside, and what type off weather will break up the ice. We sent pictures home and the kids were very mad! Wanted to know why they couldn't go to the ice caves, and are considering a day trip up if we can fit it in soon.

Anywhere you could recommend parking with trailer near Washburn. The only trail in upper Bayfield county that I considered questionable was south from Washburn to Ashland.

On the way back it went from good to ugly.

Stay away from trail 6 from trail 4 south for about 8 miles it is all road and it's purpose is to eat your carbides. Where trail 6 hit 63 south to Drummond was rough, but doable. To owen lake it got worse. Picked up trail 15 on other side of Owen Lake and hit the snow cross special all the way to Lake Namakagon. That was at 10:30 p.m. and never saw a groomer. It really sucks when the worst part of the trip is the last 13 miles.

Stay away from any trail in Sawyer, Ashland, and Bayfield county that looks like it runs right next to the road and isn't a grade, the new snow is all used up in those spots. Stay off the Tuscobia from Ojibwa west. Ojibwa east the further east the better it gets. Hope everyone had fun if they were able to get out.

P.S. watch out for DNR they are driving along roads watching for you to not make complete dead stops. They mean business. especially around Cable to Clam Lake and up toward Mason.���� Got myself in trouble Saturday night. They managed to stop the rest of my group. When I went back to find everybody I got a present. I did look, and I did a hard pause, but not a complete stop. That's life. I was leading so I took the fall.
    Last edited by WorkHardPlayHrd; 03-13-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Well, I have to say it:

That was a well written trip report. It was an absolute joy to read.

Clear, coherent, real paragraphs (instead of a whole page of solid run-on blur).
    Real sentences and real punctuation even.
    Nary a spelling glitch to stumble over while reading, no apostrophes used in "plural's", etc. (I'm not going to count those "����", whatever they were!)

I guess it takes a dairy farmer1 to show up all those high falutin' city fellers! Yeay!

Your report scored a literary "highmark", to steal a sleddin' term.
    It was also remarkably upbeat, given that you bagged a deer with your sled and collected a souvenir from the DNR!

TwoThumbsUp.jpg
    Two thumbs up!

(1 I spent enough summer vacations on my grandparents' dairy farm in Bruce Crossing, MI to qualify as a one-time dairy farmer myself! — It sure beat the heck out o' "hangin' in da hood" all summer in Detroit, too!)
    Last edited by frnash; 03-14-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Oh dog, a typo! «Cringe!»

WorkHardPlayHrd wrote: "We have some beautiful pictures of ice caves south of Bayfield along the cliffs. Do you go out by them Woodside, and what type off weather will break up the ice. We sent pictures home and the kids were very mad! Wanted to know why they couldn't go to the ice caves, and are considering a day trip up if we can fit it in soon."

Just thought we'd better let everyone know that the Ice Caves (at Meyers Beach near Cornucopia) are NOT open or accessible. The ice formations south of Bayfield on the shoreline cliffs are very beautiful as well. Here is a pic of the live camera shot from this morning https://www.facebook.com/apostleisla...onallakeshore/ :

2018-03-14_08_00.jpg

WorkHardPlayHrd
    I am glad that you were able to enjoy our great trails in Northern Bayfield County. My opinion is that our area is the one of the best, if not the best, area to ride in Wisconsin, especially when one considers the hundreds of miles of Forest Roads that are available.

I never ride on the Big Lake. Its too unpredictable and has many opportunities for trouble. High winds will break up the ice very quickly. If you get a chance, launch your boat and really enjoy the lake.

Conditions south of Hwy 2 can vary and there is always more sled traffic which adds wear and tear to the trails. Recently, the Mason to Drummond areas has had to reroute some its previous groomed trails to township roads, which are pretty much unrideable this time of the Winter. The same situation has occurred in the Port Wing and Herbster areas. As a result, we don't ride there anymore.

We will be riding this afternoon with Candyman out of www.woodsidecottages.com and will post a report with pics this time.

The picture you are showing are the ones by Corny right, because no we went nowhere near there! If we take the kids up I meant the ice formations we saw between Bayfield and Washburn. Don't want to take the kids anywhere dangerous.

I will jump in. You are correct about the Ice Caves near Corny. But as you found out, there are numerous other places that have interesting shorelines.

A couple of other things to consider when riding the Big Lake. All motorized vehicles must remain 1/2 mile from the shore in the Apostle Island National Lakeshore area which is where the magnificent Ice Caves that you mentioned are located as well as proximity to the islands. https://www.nps.gov/apis/index.htm The area that you rode is not a part of that designated area.

Its common for ice fishermen/women and others to venture out on Lake Superior. However, as I stated, the lake in very unpredictable and is worthy of full respect. There are places near shore where streams enter thus the ice can be very thin. Its wise to know where those places are and go out further from shore. Ice heaves are common as well.

My attempt is not to scare you away but rather to encourage you to be well informed and cautious.

Candyman, **** and I put on 110 miles this afternoon west of Bayfield and north and west of Valhalla. The trails are flat and firm so scratchers were used the first hour then no need. We rode TR19, 41, 1 towards Cornie then TR1 east towards Bayfield then TR31 back south to TR19. Conditions were excellent except TR1 near Cornie which is a difficult trail to maintain unless there is fresh snow. TR1 in the Cornie area was fair and had a few bare spots on some corners and in need of grooming. TR40 west of Valhalla was excellent and TRs 31&33 just south of Valhalla were good to excellent with a few bare spots on sun exposed slopes. Access in/out of the PubNGrub from the north and south is good.

There will be no grooming until the area gets fresh snow. But there is plenty of snow right now and the base on the trails is solid with a few exceptions as mentioned.

We did ride a few FR's and they have softened since last weekend with the warm sun beating down on them. The base is deep and we found a few that had 4-6" of snow on the edges along with a couple of old logging trails that have not seen any sleds for awhile. We managed to not get stuck.

The first pic shows a groomed trail and the others are from the FR's and old logging trails.

BTW, we saw zero sleds today so we had the whole area to ourselves!!

Temps will cool down the next two days and then back to 40 or so on Saturday. Those looking for a good ride, make the trip up this way. It will be worth the drive. IMG_3433.JPGIMG_3430.JPGIMG_3431.JPGIMG_3434.JPG
    Last edited by woodside; 03-14-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Looks like some great conditions! Glad someone is enjoying it.

Exactly. The area west of Bayfield, north and west of and about 5 miles south of Valhalla still has some great riding opportunities. Grooming has ceased but the trails are fine and the FR's have a solid base. It sounds as though the southern half of Bayfield County is pretty much done.

Candyman at www.woodsidecottages.com has great places to stay and is always ready to ride.

Here is the latest notice from Bayfield County regarding current trail conditions. We plan on riding a bit tomorrow afternoon and also on Sunday afternoon then dinner at the PubNGrub. There is a good base on FR's. The trails will have no base at road crossings and also on most exposed south slopes but are still rideable. It helps to know the area.

"Hey Everyone, The Great Divide Ranger district has started closing gates in Namakagon so we are going to go ahead and close all trails South of Highway 2. Since the snow seems to be holding in the north we’re leaving those open for one more weekend. Here is what I just posted to snowtracks:

With warmer temperatures in the forecast and the sun getting stronger, this will be the last weekend for riding in Bayfield County North of Highway 2. All trails south of Highway 2 are closed as of Thursday March 22nd. Additionally, Trail 13 South of Washburn to the Tri-County Corridor is also closed. All other trails north of Highway 2 will remain open for this weekend. All trails in Bayfield County will close Monday, March 26th. Groomers have suspended grooming so I don’t have area specific reports. Generally, the snow is holding in the wooded areas and areas that had a good base. However, road crossings, road routes, and trails along roads all have patchy to no snow cover. With the freeze thaw happening expect some icy spots and corners. This is late season riding so expect variable conditions and be safe!"

20180325_154508.jpg
    Just chillin' with Woodside and Richard and Jackie and Eastside Gal on top of Mt Valhalla as we wrapped up the season today.
    A big THANK YOU to all of our guests that stayed with us this Winter at www.woodsidecottages.com
    Already looking forward to next Winter!

Had a nice 60 mile ride yesterday with CandymanIMG_3474.jpg to wrap up the season as the trails in the Bayfield/Valhalla area officially close today. Trails were 98% good to very good even though the area hasn't had any snow since the first of March. The forest roads can be used as long as there is at least 4" of snow. Right now, the FR's have a very good base. But for us, its time to wrap it up.