Default Carter's Corner... 2017-2018 Snow reports and snow talk from Togwotee Mountain Lodge

We have been hit with some snow. Sure makes me crazy way too early. However a good reason to get excited......Get 'em out.....wax 'em up........its coming.......Let's get this thing rolling again....and 'Welcome to the greatest show on snow"......

Looking forward to the updates again this year! And don't be afraid to tell us when conditions are not so good too.

The first couple of years I struggled with that. Now its full on what it is. I figure you guys have to trust someone who will help you save money and vacation time if need be, so I say it like it is......been lucky so far......not many cancels in the past few years..........

I have always enjoyed Togwotee area. No matter what conditions are you can go deep and find fun. And of course the guides can be sure you have an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworks View Post
    I have always enjoyed Togwotee area. No matter what conditions are you can go deep and find fun. And of course the guides can be sure you have an adventure.
    Yep, been out too Togwotee at least ten times and never had a bad time. We will be heading back out there again this season and then maybe storm chase a second trip later in Wy or Id.

Woke up to 4 inches on top of my truck....checked the webcam and Togwotee got hit and it looks like 6 inches....come on ground, freeze, and maybe we can ride before thanksgiving........oh, forgot about the highs in the 50's next week Ok, can a guy dream........

Finishing up a carpet job at the Chapel of the Sacred Heart Church up in Grand Teton Park......to my amazement in the parking lot was 8 inches on the ground. I know there has been a little ground freeze, so maybe this is the start. Sure was fun slipping all over the place with a light van and no traction. I was there all week and the previous snow held. Wide open weadows are melting...that's it for now....

The word is out........good friend Charlie rode Saturday. He said conditions are mid season deeeeeeeeeeep. I'm hearing it from other people as well. As I am computer challenged, I don't know how to get a small video of 4 guys riding Togwotee on Sunday. I wouldn't call it riding...more like how are we going to get out of here all 4 stuck riding....trying to get help posting the video......anyway it has started, and good it is....so happy thanksgiving to all.See ya soon......

I think you got the wrong link. Although, November 4-5 were pretty darn close to those conditions.
    Last edited by fireworks; 11-20-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Told you I was crappy at this stuff......hey fireworks....go on to my facebook home page and figure out how to get that video on here........FB is Carter Gerdes.....can't miss the bra....

My friend Harris was up at Tog. on Tuesday. Snow got hard and thick. He did find some good riding way up high. This is great for the real start of the season...letting mother nature firm up and create a base is good for those pesky rocks ans stumps. Such an abrupt stop........so, eat lots of turkey, work hard, kiss your wife and kids and if that don't work there is always beer.......see ya all soon.

Hi Carter,
    Group of 5 of us arriving at Togwotee to ride Dec 6,7 and 8. Reservations can't seem to say which guides are available. Are you? Amos group from MI.

Quote Originally Posted by homan View Post
    Hi Carter,
    Group of 5 of us arriving at Togwotee to ride Dec 6,7 and 8. Reservations can't seem to say which guides are available. Are you? Amos group from MI.
    If you don't hear from Carter give the Rental shop (307-543-0424) a call after December 1st and they will take care of you.

Homan.....I will be up there.......we are waiting on sleds to arrive......don't know what I'm on for guiding til my polaris gets here but I'll find something.......lets do this...

I'm calling rental shop in Morning.

Friends from Cleveland are here for early season riding......Jimmy says its really good........and we got a storm warning in effect til mon am.....all toll 14 inches......I guess I better go ride in some of that stuff.......going to be using my sled to guide for a week.....I should test it out...don't you think....ok....I'm done. On the snow Tues for a while...will let you know.........

Thurs. first day of riding. Sun is out and can see, conditions are good. Early season 3, 4 and 5 foot stuff. Ravine riding and no dirt walls to speak of....It has set up a little so the 3 foot deep powder thing is gone but we are riding in 8 and 10 inches....and yes stucks are happening......more of the same tomorrow...

It hasn't snowed in a while.......I'm still finding untracked snow and lots of tree riding. 4 good days with the guys from Zumbrota MN. The weather looks to change this weekend. Fingers crossed........so far its been a good start....snow, visibility, stucks, climbs, powder,.....oh and logs and rocks......no damage on any sled so far.....see ya soon....

Major storm blowing across the rockies........12inches at high levels, by Sat. nite.......lets see......

Right, let's freshen things up a bit. Although, we are still finding good snow in the trees

Update.......we got snow.....wind swirls make it hard to look at a sitting truck to tell but I think 4 or a little more. Temps are lower and the base has softened.Wed. was a really good day. New snow,softened base, honey hole, and no tracks, BANG....gooooooooood ride. More snow on the forcaste.........it was going into a deep freeze.....that changed to warmer temps and snow....looks like 6 more by Friday. Thank you Santa......all you Christmas vacation riders, put a smile on........more later...

Yup.......getting spanked.....conditions are real good. 4 inches for Sat.....and the base has softened. 5 inches for Christmas day. All those on the way out, travel safe.....come say Hi............

What a misquote........over 2 feet at 9500.........Holy crap was it deep......and it snowed all day. High pressure for 2 days and back at snowing again. And no one here......

And another 10-16 through Tuesday! Heck yeah! Will post pics

Quote Originally Posted by fireworks View Post
    And another 10-16 through Tuesday! Heck yeah! Will post pics
    Waiting!!! lol

Waiting for what???........LOL......My phone, or the Idiot running it, can't post pictures......however we did get another 7 inches. Good sledding right now. Lodge is packed , trailers everywhere. People everywhere, what a party......9 more on the way in the next 24 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by carter View Post
    Waiting for what???........LOL......My phone, or the Idiot running it, can't post pictures......however we did get another 7 inches. Good sledding right now. Lodge is packed , trailers everywhere. People everywhere, what a party......9 more on the way in the next 24 hrs.
    LOL, I guess I'll go back to staring at the Tog webcam then... ha ha. We'll be out in a few weeks bombing around with Matt again, and it cant come soon enough.

Sorry for lack of pics. Been busy tearing up the POW!

25994583_1948062555456391_4386890346551258975_n.jpg

Strange weather.......once again its trying.......calling for 4, 4, and 12......raining in town. Snowing on the mountain when I left last nite...........need a good dumping. Snow dance please...

We are getting spanked......white out all the way home. Can't see the nieghbor here in town. Hope I can make it up tomorrow.

how are conditions?

Snow in Jackson last night. We'll see what happened up top. Not the best if you don't have a guide or know where to go.

Heading out next week , any updates on conditions?

I will be there the first full week of Feb. I can’t wait! Next week is going to seem like a month to go by.

After 22 years of guiding I can say I learned stuff yesterday. It keeps trying to snow. We haven't had that typical Togwotee dump yet but after an inch here and an inch there and its getting ok . Got storm posts so its a wait and see thing " Went on a sled recovery on Saturday. 50 miles from the lodge. To a place I never ride. And I discovered Tons of places untracked and begging to be ridden. Got to be willing to haul gas and do a trail dash to get to some of this, but its out there. Can't be spoiled and say no trails if you want the big adventure I ride a lot of back country difficult terrain. Now if I can learn some of this stuff without getting lost, well lets try. And the same for our other guides. As it was Kent and all his trail riding that sent me to the recovery and all the new dirt I saw along the way. So, fear not......its mountain riding.......get out here.......

After 22 years of guiding I can say I learned stuff yesterday. It keeps trying to snow. We haven't had that typical Togwotee dump yet but after an inch here and an inch there and its getting ok . Got storm posts so its a wait and see thing " Went on a sled recovery on Saturday. 50 miles from the lodge. To a place I never ride. And I discovered Tons of places untracked and begging to be ridden. Got to be willing to haul gas and do a trail dash to get to some of this, but its out there. Can't be spoiled and say no trails if you want the big adventure I ride a lot of back country difficult terrain. Now if I can learn some of this stuff without getting lost, well lets try. And the same for our other guides. As it was Kent and all his trail riding that sent me to the recovery and all the new dirt I saw along the way. So, fear not......its mountain riding.......get out here.......
    Thanks for the update Carter, fingers crossed , see you in a few days.

I'll be out the next week too, with a group of four guys. See you guys out there. Hopefully they get some good snow!

Our crew had a Great three days riding with Rilley , a little less powder than last year but awesome riding. Thanks Again Rilley!

Its been a while.......conditions are good. Lots of good stuff to find. Been slammed with people. More later.

This story is real. The conditions are reeeeeeeeal good. Its Feb., they are supposed to be. For a while there I was wondering........for those of you who know, I rode Lost Lake area on Mon. Didn't make it to the upper meadows. Where I was 2 plus feet. Come get some........

Keep the reports coming its very uplifting given conditions here, our group will be at TML the week of 3/12. Its our first trip West and we are really looking forward to it.

Incredible riding at TML!!! Shout out to our guide Lucas, he took us to the good stuff and showed us "first timers" what off-trail is all about. Daytime temps reached upinto the 40's, but waist deep snow everywhere. Already planning to get back again. Have some great pictures but no luck with posting, nothing but errors trying to upload to the home folder on board, sorry.

Greg, did you take your sleds or rent some while you were out there?
    Matt

The lodge is closed. Due to the spring snow there is still good riding. Going to try it on Sat. April 7th. The season overall was good. Yes, a few hardpack days, but good. Thanks to all who read this thread for coming out and enjoying mountain riding. I am looking toward a spring, but who knows here in Wyoming.

The lodge is closed. Due to the spring snow there is still good riding. Going to try it on Sat. April 7th. The season overall was good. Yes, a few hardpack days, but good. Thanks to all who read this thread for coming out and enjoying mountain riding. I am looking toward a spring, but who knows here in Wyoming.
    Thanks Carter for doing this thread every season. It's great to read and get information from a local guide!