Thread: Potty Mouth

Default Potty Mouth

A few weeks ago, I had the word "damn" flagged by a moderator as "potty mouth." That's nothing to what's going on now by just changing a letter in the word. Maybe I should have said, "Damn, that mosquito bar is great" and it would have been ok.

I noticed the same thing. The normal troublemakers who tend to argue about everything are the same ones to introduce language I haven't seen on this site.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    I noticed the same thing. The normal troublemakers who tend to argue about everything are the same ones to introduce language I haven't seen on this site.
    Yup. Some (very few) folks here just got
    norespect.jpg
    for this "family friendly" site!

(Who turned smilies off here?)

I cuss left and right.

Just remember:. " Cussing & swearing is the language of the inarticulate!"

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by SLED_DOCTOR View Post
    Just remember:. " Cussing & swearing is the language of the inarticulate!"
    That sounds accurate to me; seems to fit! (Enter wicked smiley here.)

Yep me too. Seems like special treatment for those few special members.

Sorry if it seems that way. I know for me it is a thin line to walk between over-moderating and not doing enough. I try to be consistent, but it's a moving target. I am sure the other mods feel the same way.

No special treatment from me though. I hate you all the same ! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnylaw View Post
    Yep me too. Seems like special treatment for those few special members.
    I don't believe there is special treatment on here. I was not insinuating that in any way. I have seen some language occur that I don't think would have happened years ago. I honestly don't think its a matter of less moderation, but more like there are less respectful people here than before. Could be just me but that is what i think.

My Damnears are burning.

Damnears? Is that kinda like Legioneers?
    Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post
    My Damnears are burning.

Not special treatment , the bar has been set lower. By posters who think they are street wise but are not very social wise on a keyboard and prob even less in person.
    Last edited by chords; 02-09-2018 at 10:24 PM.

I don't believe there is special treatment on here. I was not insinuating that in any way. I have seen some language occur that I don't think would have happened years ago. I honestly don't think its a matter of less moderation, but more like there are less respectful people here than before. Could be just me but that is what i think.

Agreed !!

Neenah, Wisconsin. About 30 minutes south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

This got me thinking...I've been a member on JohnDee for a long time. I think I came aboard in 07 or thereabouts. Anyone know when it first went up? Maybe John could tell us.

Anyways, my point is over the years there's almost always been a "fire starter" i.e. sarcastic, questionable attitudes towards other posters, etc. I won't mention names but we've always had the lurkers who would blow things up just to get a rise out of somebody. I think the Mods were a bit more controlling in the past but it's still a good sight to report, opine, and learn from. Also there's a feature in Settings that you can block particular members and thus their comments will never see the light of day on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    This got me thinking...I've been a member on JohnDee for a long time. I think I came aboard in 07 or thereabouts. Anyone know when it first went up? Maybe John could tell us.

Anyways, my point is over the years there's almost always been a "fire starter" i.e. sarcastic, questionable attitudes towards other posters, etc. I won't mention names but we've always had the lurkers who would blow things up just to get a rise out of somebody. I think the Mods were a bit more controlling in the past but it's still a good sight to report, opine, and learn from. Also there's a feature in Settings that you can block particular members and thus their comments will never see the light of day on your computer.
    The site itself started in 1998, yep, coming up on the 20th year anniversary this autumn! As for the discussion board, I am not sure. I do know that it started out as "Ask John", where folks could post questions to me about the weather, but not specific forecasts. I believe that was sometime in 2002 or 2003. Then a year or two later, I added the other topics and it became a legit discussion board.

As for the nature of some of the posts, I really try hard to stick to my rules. There are grey areas at times, which makes it difficult and can also give the appearance that there is favoritism, but I promise, all are treated the same by me on this board. I have pulled some posts from some very good friends of mine!

If there is a particular person or persons that really annoy someone, then I suggest as Gary said to just block them in your settings. I know I used to fall into the trap of letting them bug me, but with practice, I have been able to just chuckle at them...either because they are really quite humorous or stupid. Bottom line is, no matter what gets said in here, life goes on!

-John