Results 1 to 43 of 43

Thread: Modular homes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    evansville,wi
    Posts
    182

    Default Modular homes

    We are looking into buying a lot and putting a cabin on it. Just seeing thoughts of the modular home/cabins. How was the process and good places to deal with in northern wi. Just looking at a alternative to hiring a builder.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    back to cuttin wood
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    2 trailers ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fox Valley, WI
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Just with anything else, there are variations between brands construction. I bought a modular home and you would have never know it was one unless I told you. Others I have been in felt nothing more than a double wide trailer with a basement. One of the critical pieces, is your basement must be darn near 100% accurate on size, as you are somewhat not following the guideline of building from ground up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    evansville,wi
    Posts
    182

    Default

    That is what we heard from other as well on the basement. Looking for recommendations on who to go thru

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Palatine IL and Eagle River WI
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Modular homes have come a long way since the days of trailer parks and double wides. Modular is a type of construction technique and not a type of home. I just put up a 2,000 square foot Dickinson modular home to replace my 1,100 square foot cabin. There are many advantages to modular building. First, the construction occurs in a climate controlled facility insuring quality. No more lumber and building materials sitting out in the rain and no more workers rushing and short cutting the construction due to bad weather. Second is the timing. They can build the modules off site while all the site prep occurs. In my case, they tore down my old house shortly after labor day and set my new house on its full basement on October 16th. There was plenty of work on site that needed to be done after the house was set and the garage was totally stick built on site but I was in by early December. Didn't loose a summer nor a winter. My house was 4 sections and brought in on 4 trailers. Watching them pick the sections with a crane and set them on the foundation was something to see. Go on youtube and search for Dickinson homes. They have a lot of really informative videos.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Waterville MN
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Since the OP asked I will give my 2 cents all though biased since I am a builder, I do believe in northern Wisconsin you have Wausau homes that have been around a long time, we do every aspect of the build from the footings to finish and even though we are out in the elements be assured there are no corners cut due to weather, I have nothing against modular homes in some cases I can see the pros, I myself don't think that the quality in work is near where it is with our custom built homes but one can disagree, also the materials they use are definitely not the same quality unless they are using different materials than what the ones around here are using, beings we are versitle in our line of work and don't like to travel we take what work is in the area and have added on to modular homes and put basements under plenty of them one bad thing in the basements is you end up with supporting post that you can build around when finishing your basement if that's the case but can be a pain, like I said I have nothing against modular homes to each there own just make sure you are comparing apples to apples with what you are getting for your money especially with the materials thickness of siding, materials used for cabinets, flooring, and your doors and millwork, overhangs on the house yo get your water away, good luck to you with whatever you do that will be an exciting time for you and your family.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SC WISCONSIN
    Posts
    216

    Default

    I'm a builder myself. I have never been in a modular home that has impressed me, but the only ones around here are people wanting a house on the cheap, i'm sure there are good ones out there just not around here. Panelized houses are getting more popular around here, been in and around many that were good quality. They really don't save any money, just time. I have also never cut any corners due to weather, all lumber and trusses gets tarped if there is rain, snow or high heat during construction. We always dry in houses ASAP too. Have you considered Post frame? I would never do wood post in the ground, but Perma columns, Wet set brackets or frost walls make for a nice building.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Richfield, WI
    Posts
    272

    Default

    In 2002 we had a Wausau prefab built and put on our basement. The garage was stick built on site. I was very impressed at how straight and clean the construction was- There were no cheap materials...We were very happy with the home. Since then we have built several “custom” homes...

    Any custom home builder is going to bad mouth companies like Wausau homes (understandably), but take their criticism with a grain of salt. I myself built custom homes for several years so I am not completely ignorant to construction..maybe in the 80’s they were cheap..

    That being said, I don’t think Wausau homes builds complete prefabs anymore- I think they pre-build the walls and such and ship them to site..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SC WISCONSIN
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    In 2002 we had a Wausau prefab built and put on our basement. The garage was stick built on site. I was very impressed at how straight and clean the construction was- There were no cheap materials...We were very happy with the home. Since then we have built several “custom” homes...

    Any custom home builder is going to bad mouth companies like Wausau homes (understandably), but take their criticism with a grain of salt. I myself built custom homes for several years so I am not completely ignorant to construction..maybe in the 80’s they were cheap..

    That being said, I don’t think Wausau homes builds complete prefabs anymore- I think they pre-build the walls and such and ship them to site..
    We bought a new construction that was foreclosed and not yet complete during the financial crisis. The home ended up being a Wausau home. Except for a few things i was very impressed with the quality.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Oakdale MN
    Posts
    2,011

    Default

    I have a Wausau home. Built it in 03. Used Reward wall system (stay in place styrofoam forms) for foundation. Super comfortable basement. The Home arrived on 4 flatbed tractor trailers, then lifted onto foundation. Came together very nice. Liked how it came complete. Merrilat cabinets, delta fixtures, you can upgrade stuff if you want. I should have upgraded countertops, solid interior doors would have been nice.
    Only thing I've found i don't like. The exterior paint on door trim almost seems they didn't prime before painting. It's peeling worse than I think it should.
    I'd do it again for sure

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    4,684

    Default

    Everything I build is custom. You couldn't reproduce it for the same cost in a $13.00 per hour labor factory home.
    Framing lumber needs to be in an exterior environment.
    Lumber kept indoors in a heated building gets too dry.
    There is a good application for prefab homes. If you want it now and cheap, there it is. Building in the northwoods and in the local depressed housing economy and in the 2000 SF and less market, prefab is a good choice....you stand a chance at breaking even when you sell.
    Last edited by snobuilder; 03-05-2019 at 09:53 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    evansville,wi
    Posts
    182

    Default

    I was going to stay away from Wausau homes. I do hvac construction myself and will pay close attention to the details of siding windows and roofing. I am not looking for cheap either. The biggest thing is the time line from start to finish. I really don’t want to wait for it to be built because I know it’s either the fish are biting or it’s deer hunting season. I have friends that have built and own a few properties and have a hard time with people even returning phone calls to do work for them.

    Just some reviews

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    4,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    I was going to stay away from Wausau homes. I do hvac construction myself and will pay close attention to the details of siding windows and roofing. I am not looking for cheap either. The biggest thing is the time line from start to finish. I really don’t want to wait for it to be built because I know it’s either the fish are biting or it’s deer hunting season. I have friends that have built and own a few properties and have a hard time with people even returning phone calls to do work for them.

    Just some reviews
    I agree... tradesmen are vanishing so if unskilled labor is being used then better it be done in a controlled factory environment.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Hancock, MI
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Dickinson Homes makes a really cool looking tiny home.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Or you could possible overpay for a custom builder, that relies on numerous subcontractors that may or may not use quality workers. No custom builder can fully control the quality of the subcontractors employees thats for sure. I would bet you have the same chance of losing money on a custom build than you would have on a modular build. I dont have a modular home but if I was building, I would take the time and price out both. Just cause it is "custom" built, does not necessarily make it better. Especially when you get into rural areas of the northwoods of wisconsin, resale of custom homes could take a very long time.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I like Dickinson homes, and I like them better than Wausau homes. The house next to me is a Wausau and I don't like it. Dickinson homes seem so much better built, and you can't tell it apart from a custom home. http://dickinsonhomes.com/

    For your info, the big hotel by the bridge in Houghton is a Wausau prefab.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houghton Michigan
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    I like Dickinson homes, and I like them better than Wausau homes. The house next to me is a Wausau and I don't like it. Dickinson homes seem so much better built, and you can't tell it apart from a custom home. http://dickinsonhomes.com/

    For your info, the big hotel by the bridge in Houghton is a Wausau prefab.
    Where exactly is this Wausau built Hotel in Houghton?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houghton Michigan
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Yesterday driving through Ironwood on US 2 we saw a Wausau Ranch that just caved in from snow load. I am also a Builder / Remodeler , anyone telling you that the reason they bought a prefab home is because they are a better home because of controlled conditions is blowing sand.

  19. #19

    Default

    Being in the trades I have been in many types of homes and some of them can pass off like a ok prefab but most you can tell just pulling up in the drive. Few summers ago I did the floors and custom showers in a Stratford home like 7-8 trailer modular and they had to stick frame the porches on and garage can say other than the water resistant barrier and concrete job couldn’t give me the house. Never seen so many post in the basement. 3 months after people moved in I was there replacing 8” wide oak hardwood cus the sliding doors leaked rain and one entry door. Then get a call that the hardwood is srinking too much come to find out the house was splitting down the middle and separating again lol. The money these folks spent trying to be fast they could have had a nice affordable stick build house and actually had something. Many modulars have issues where the halves meet for floors or crappy looking beams on ceiling to hide it vs a stick build home. Also up here we have cornerstone that pre fabs and can tell you there floor decks always move cus 8’ wide sections not tied together. Just a thought to take into but a house is a assembly. if assembled right will be solid if bolted together or brought in pieces on roof and floor who it to say it’s right. Nothing wrong with pre fab walls if you build the deck on site. All starts on the bottom and works it’s way up.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    North
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Back in the early 90's my father bought a lot on Fisher Lake in Iron Cty. He cheaped out on the log home he was planning, and decided to go with a pre-fab - why I'll never know.
    They hauled the thing in from 150 miles away in 2 pieces, with gravel roads the final 10 miles. Got stuck somewhere between Minoqua and Fisher Lake.
    Anyhow, with the crazy 280 inch snowfall in 1996-1997, I spent more time shoveling the roof than I did riding. Even with all that, it still split down the middle and cost him big bucks to rectify. Shed collapsed that year too.
    Moral of the story - I bought a spec log home when it came time to go on my own. It has it's own set of concerns, but no structural events so far.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UP RIDER View Post
    Where exactly is this Wausau built Hotel in Houghton?
    I believe the hotel is now called the Quality Inn. It is kitty corner from the Ambassador bar. In my college years I worked at a gas station that was located on the site of the present hotel. Back in those days you pumped folks gas for them and checked their oil.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bayfield, Wisconsin
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Consider a panelized home which is a home basically manufactured in a factory. The house comes in sections and the contractor puts the house together section by section. I have owned two of these, including our current home in Bayfield through Amwood Homes. The house is very solid and I was here everyday when the contractor put it up.

    Most contractors will put up the shell and then hire subs to complete the rock, plumbing, electrical, etc just like a stick built. They will complete as much of the work as you want thus you can do some of the work yourself if you want to save some money.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    iron mountain
    Posts
    4

    Default Complete custom homes

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    I like Dickinson homes, and I like them better than Wausau homes. The house next to me is a Wausau and I don't like it. Dickinson homes seem so much better built, and you can't tell it apart from a custom home. http://dickinsonhomes.com/

    For your info, the big hotel by the bridge in Houghton is a Wausau prefab.
    http://dickinsonhomes.com/

    https://www.youtube.com/user/DickinsonHomes
    our youtube channel has the construction process on how we build our modules!

    https://www.instagram.com/dickinson.homes/
    Instagram has great images of our homes!

    also our website is a great place to start look at floor plans! #tinyhomes
    we service Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota
    and finally thanks for your time!

    http://dickinsonhomes.com/services/

    - - - Updated - - -

    here is a link to our you tube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/DickinsonHomes

    https://www.instagram.com/dickinson.homes/?hl=en

    any questions you can call us direct @ 1-906-774-2186

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Can modulars be built on trusses, rather than joists? I’m guessing no. If you want a home with a finished basement that has a layout and feel similar to the above-grade areas, then it seems like modulars are at a pretty massive disadvantage with all the old school load bearing stuff and nasty ductwork soffits required with joists. Probably an advantage to site built stuff on trusses.

    The modular and panelized manufacturers do make some pretty amazing stuff these days. There have been a couple of This Old House seasons in the past few years featuring both. The panelized home was pretty amazing - deep into the seven figures with finishes and design that you expect at that price point. The modular was a quick rebuild of a smaller Jersey Shore house destroyed by the hurricane, and it was very nice as well.

    Outside of timeline considerations, I do have to say I don't understand the appeal of the off-site built stuff. Even if it is all built 100% plumb and level on a laser flat floor or table, the entire thing has to be subjected to the equivalent of many multitudes of earthquakes on the drive to the site. Can't image what that does to doors, windows, finish woodwork, tile work, etc. Eek!
    Last edited by ICT Sledder; 03-06-2019 at 03:11 PM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)
    Posts
    3,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    I believe the hotel is now called the Quality Inn. It is kitty corner from the Ambassador bar. …
    FWIW that Quality Inn has been there at 215 Shelden Avenue for well over 20 years, maybe a few decades more; it was originally a Holiday Inn if memory serves.
    I recall the original building did not occupy the entire block, but was later extended to Quincy Street.

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    … In my college years I worked at a gas station that was located on the site of the present hotel.
    Ye (old) dogs, when were you there?

    I remember a small but full service gas/service station nearby, on one of the southeast corners. Maybe Dodge Street (at 401 Shelden Ave) where the current Sky Sushi is (that looks about right)? Or Pewabic Street? Or perhaps Quincy Street, right where the current Quality Inn office is?
    Last edited by frnash; 03-06-2019 at 08:26 PM.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICT Sledder View Post
    Can modulars be built on trusses, rather than joists? I’m guessing no. If you want a home with a finished basement that has a layout and feel similar to the above-grade areas, then it seems like modulars are at a pretty massive disadvantage with all the old school load bearing stuff and nasty ductwork soffits required with joists. Probably an advantage to site built stuff on trusses.

    The modular and panelized manufacturers do make some pretty amazing stuff these days. There have been a couple of This Old House seasons in the past few years featuring both. The panelized home was pretty amazing - deep into the seven figures with finishes and design that you expect at that price point. The modular was a quick rebuild of a smaller Jersey Shore house destroyed by the hurricane, and it was very nice as well.

    Outside of timeline considerations, I do have to say I don't understand the appeal of the off-site built stuff. Even if it is all built 100% plumb and level on a laser flat floor or table, the entire thing has to be subjected to the equivalent of many multitudes of earthquakes on the drive to the site. Can't image what that does to doors, windows, finish woodwork, tile work, etc. Eek!
    I've seen two on the highway in the winter and think what the salt will doo too, I won't even put a snowmobile through that.

    Bear

  27. #27

    Default

    Dickinson "Bayport". The version with half-log siding can be seen in the Iron Mountain model village. This one traveled on two trailers all the way from Iron Mountain to Lac La Belle including a trip across the lift bridge. Nothing fancy but it is home to me.022.jpg011.jpg016.jpg015.jpg

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Palatine IL and Eagle River WI
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Here's my Dickinson Cedar Ridge 100. Couldn't be any more happy with the way it turned out. house 4.jpghouse 3.jpghouse 2.jpghouse 1.jpghouse 5.jpg

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houghton Michigan
    Posts
    225

    Default

    [QUOTE=kwikgren;478613]Dickinson "Bayport". The version with half-log siding can be seen in the Iron Mountain model village. This one traveled on two trailers all the way from Iron Mountain to Lac La Belle including a trip across the lift bridge. Nothing fancy but it is home to me.022.jpg011.jpg016.jpg015.jpg[/QUOTE
    The Dog looks happy also lol
    Looks like icecicles in the one pic, are you building ice?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Nice Looking Homes! My UP cottage is Modular as well built in 2007. Overall Happy with it, could be construed as a double wide on a basement, hasn't split in half yet(was delivered in 2 halves). Built by Bob's Homes in Iron Mountain MI, since out of biz. COTTAGE 18 IMG_0451.JPG

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Hancock, MI
    Posts
    90

    Default

    The home that I owned in Houghton was a modular home. Local building company, Niemla, the built the walls of site, delivered them, nailed them together, etc. It was really just a standard stick build where they assembled a lot of it off site.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    iron mountain
    Posts
    4

    Default

    The journey for this custom designed and built, 6 module, 2 story home that starts in Kingsford, MI and travels 219 miles over the road and 17 miles on the Great Lakes to Mackinac Island. One of the first island homes set from the water onto the foundation. All the modules and crane are on barges and anchored near the shore.

    **Very Neat Video

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzH6W1xZD0

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    4,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dickinsonhomes View Post
    The journey for this custom designed and built, 6 module, 2 story home that starts in Kingsford, MI and travels 219 miles over the road and 17 miles on the Great Lakes to Mackinac Island. One of the first island homes set from the water onto the foundation. All the modules and crane are on barges and anchored near the shore.

    **Very Neat Video


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzH6W1xZD0
    jeezus...what did that
    operation cost?

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UP
    Posts
    510

    Default

    a lot

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    For you builder guys - What is the price per square foot to build a stick built home in this day and age? For example a 30 x 60 single story with full basement. Attached 30 x 30 garage. Middle of the road plumbing, fixtures and appliances. Just a no frills house.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Grange, IL
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dickinsonhomes View Post
    The journey for this custom designed and built, 6 module, 2 story home that starts in Kingsford, MI and travels 219 miles over the road and 17 miles on the Great Lakes to Mackinac Island. One of the first island homes set from the water onto the foundation. All the modules and crane are on barges and anchored near the shore.

    **Very Neat Video

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzH6W1xZD0
    I'm sure they are now great friends with the owners of the house they built in front of...NOT!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    For you builder guys - What is the price per square foot to build a stick built home in this day and age? For example a 30 x 60 single story with full basement. Attached 30 x 30 garage. Middle of the road plumbing, fixtures and appliances. Just a no frills house.
    Green Bay, WI $125 for an ok builder that passes inspection but has a few hiccups like crooked pain overruns and cheap moldings, $136 for a good builder where everything is perfect and $145+ for better flooring, solid surface counter-tops, tray ceiling in the master and drains in the garage. Generally 1,600-1950 sq. ft. homes.
    Probably looked at 50 in the past 7 weeks.

    Bear

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    St Germain WI
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Depressed housing economy in the N WI area????? Could have fooled me! I’ve been looking for a place for 3 years it’s either a complete sht box or goes within a few days. The prices are top dollar right now and nobody is budging much off asking price.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Iron River WI
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTEAM View Post
    Depressed housing economy in the N WI area????? Could have fooled me! I’ve been looking for a place for 3 years it’s either a complete sht box or goes within a few days. The prices are top dollar right now and nobody is budging much off asking price.
    What town are you looking at in NWWI?

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    St Germain WI
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Basically along 70 between Minocqua and eagle river that area

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    We are looking into buying a lot and putting a cabin on it. Just seeing thoughts of the modular home/cabins. How was the process and good places to deal with in northern wi. Just looking at a alternative to hiring a builder.
    Our family has a nice lot for sale on Lake Gerald in the U.P. It has 240 feet of lake frontage and electricity is available. At one time about a quarter of the property on Lake Gerald was in our family. Today some has been sold, but still a lot in cousins and relatives names.

    We have reduced the price to $98,000 and it is listed with Century 21 in Houghton. There is a paved road part way and then a dirt road for about a mile. The dirt road is not plowed in winter, but I think the paved road is, but not 100% sure.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    iron mountain
    Posts
    4

    Default

    you can check with Shiloh construction in Eagle River they have a ton of knowledge of the area

    http://shilohconstructionservices.com/

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    iron mountain
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Hey Guys and Gals, we now have commercial pages up and running and could use some likes and follows for anyone interested in the modular building process in Michigan Wisconsin, Or Minnesota. We are a complete commercial and residential modular home builder with 50 years under our belts! I will post a link below any help is much appreciated and any home building questions feel free to call us! Not trying to spam just want to get the info into a channel that is in our area and you guys are awesome so.... If it is not allowed please feel free to let me know but there are some great videos of our processes!

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...h9ls3ND7WPejxw

    https://www.facebook.com/DickinsonBuilders

    https://www.facebook.com/DickinsonHomes/

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtz...I_vvYdceVB38fw

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» December 2019

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31 1234

» Stats

Members: 20,184
Threads: 27,730
Posts: 328,206

» Online Users: 305

9 members and 296 guests
Most users ever online was 2,946, 07-12-2019 at 02:11 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

snoxer (38)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0