Hybrid View

Default Therma-cell or something better?

last season was a misquito nightmare and with all the moisture before winter finally came, snow melt and as wet as it has been so far anticipating another skeeter nightmare, and last year when they were at their worst there was nothing to be had for repellent. Has anyone used any of the therma cell products and do they live up to their claim? or is there something better out there you may have used or would recommend? we are in the woods and it didn't matter what time of day it was they almost carried you away!

The therma cells work individually - I like them for turkey hunting, bow hunting, etc. when you're sitting still. If you move a lot its effectiveness isn't there. We bought a bug fogger last year. Probably trading bug bites for cancer though...

I also use a Thermacell for sitting on the deck, etc., in the summer but mostly for early season bowhunting or goose hunting in September when the mosquitos are still around some years. They work great when there is little to no wind. After being on for a couple minutes, they create a mosquito barrier around you. They do not work well at all when sitting around a campfire since the fire pulls away the repellent that the Thermacell expels into the air. Overall, well worth it for me.

I can relate to this problem all too well, the past few yrs have been crazy with rain and standing water here, so bad , you cannot walk from car to front door without being swarmed and once in a vehicle they will surround it by the hundreds!, just insane! totally ruined being able to enjoy doing anything out side. this is a rural property, mostly all wooded minus gravel drive way and parking spots and some smaller out buildings!
    things I tired
    I had the therma cells and they worked a LITTLE if you sat on a deck with 3-4 of them going!
    I tried the citronella candles candles and torches, (*wortheless IMO) tred growing plants, but they didn;t take very well!

I next tried using NON chemical solutions, , one being a garlic spray, made whole place stink like garlic, and helped maybe curb them by about 20 %, and could treat yard 3-4 times a day an that was best I could get

next I bought a hand held propane, tried 3 or 4 different chemicals, some worked better then others but honestly, NONE worked that great I would recommend them!
    and many made more flames than fog! and I think all took a yr or two off my life using LOL

SO< next I went back to spraying the yard, I bought some of this stuff , Bifen IT -,
    I bought it from this place, https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/ , part # CSI4435, $50 bucks for a gallon of it!
    good prices and very very helpful on getting you right stuff!
    I got it sprayed about an acre of my place with it, starting with where I plan to be out side and going a good 50-75 yards in every direction out from it in circles
    I used a simple 2 gallon hand tank sprayer((got at tractor supply store for 10 bucks)
    I Recommend wearing safety gear, at a MIN good breathing dust mask, long sleeve clothes, hat and long pants!
    and WATCH THE WIND when spraying
    spray everything you can reach, both top and bottom of tree/s leaves and like places
    and when done wash things well and take a shower and make sure you got it all off you!

the next day my whole place was bug free for about 5 weeks, and this was with rain about every 3 days or more, some times 3-5 inches of rain at a time

once they started to come back, I would re spray! and be ALL good again!
    it made a wold of difference and I have no issue recommending it

Its MADE to be safe around pets and even fruit tree's and even food handling area's and such!

but I will admit, I DIDN:T spray my fruit tree's at all
    and any place my critters liked to lay or hang out I either skipped or went very light and made sure I gave the pets a day off, before letting them go there!
    better safe than sorry IMO!

but it worked for me, past 2 yrs and still have about 3/4's of a gallon left
    only need a little to do a lot! off top of my head I think its a ounce of chemical to a gallon of water! for an example

NOW< I know a few folks near me due to how bad they were that bought them BIG propane traps, paid a several hundred bucks, or more, and had OK luck, but they tell me there more work, adding scents and cleaning them?? but they been happy with results
    I can ask what models they have if you want, over the chemical spraying route I took

but I would spray and be done , over up keeping a power line going to these traps they have!

also, a LOT of mosquito control is trying to make your place un appealing to them, get rid of anything that holds standing water, try and get as much sunlight into area's as possible
    dampness and heat , are breeding ground spots for them all the more so if standing water is about

if you have any spots that tend to hold standing water,
    you can try spraying some dawn liquid soap into them, soap will kill there eggs! as will a lot of other things you can add

same as if you have ponds, adding them floating traps that kill them!
    hope this helps you?I know them things SUCK both literally and physically! LOL

the chemical I use, also gets rid of spiders and ticks and flee's too??
    just saying

Mosquito Squad. Google it. Cost me $125 a year to have THEM treat my yard in the northwoods. We dont use any bug juice on us or the kids and I havent used my thermocells since we started, 3 years ago. They treat my yard once a month. My dog doesnt have cancer yet.

Its a small 1/4 acre in a seasonal campground. Most people get it, but the cheap old folks next to me dont. We get bit up at their site, but not ours. They spray the perimeter.

IIRC they have a franchise in Waukesha.

The stuff works so good, I would gladly pay 3 times as much per summer for it. I will say, and they will too, you may get a lucky one that makes it in, but if you get bit more then once a day, call and tell them. They will come out ASAP and respray. No extra charge.
    This is in an area that you cannot be outside without some sort of protection. Any year.

Side bonus, no ticks on us or dog.

srt20, from reading above the thermacell has its place and may still get one to use on out deck, it has an permanent awning and obviously the trailer with patio door and other side an add a room that extends from the trailer the depth of the deck not to mention being in somewhat wooded area unless the wind just right I think the thermacell will work for that as we like to eat outside most of the time. If I am understanding you correctly this place only sprays the perimeter around your site? does the campground give you any issue having them do this? we use a perimeter spray around trailer to deter ants and spiders and works rather well. this may also be a consideration and will have to check if they will allow it or not, last year they were horrendous even in the daylight. We are in Plymouth Wi and again will have to check if grounds would allow it and see if they have anyone in that area. Other wise I may check if the local coop has a similar product I can apply myself, because correct me if I am wrong but if you are not doing it as a business, charging for it or doing anyone elses other than your own you do not need a applicators liscence, I could be wrong but that is what I heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by srt20 View Post
    Mosquito Squad. Google it. Cost me $125 a year to have THEM treat my yard in the northwoods. We dont use any bug juice on us or the kids and I havent used my thermocells since we started, 3 years ago. They treat my yard once a month. My dog doesnt have cancer yet.

Its a small 1/4 acre in a seasonal campground. Most people get it, but the cheap old folks next to me dont. We get bit up at their site, but not ours. They spray the perimeter.

IIRC they have a franchise in Waukesha.

The stuff works so good, I would gladly pay 3 times as much per summer for it. I will say, and they will too, you may get a lucky one that makes it in, but if you get bit more then once a day, call and tell them. They will come out ASAP and respray. No extra charge.
    This is in an area that you cannot be outside without some sort of protection. Any year.

Side bonus, no ticks on us or dog.