Thread: Cleaning

Default Cleaning

Just wondering how you guys clean your sleds and What products you use. Especially for cleaning under the hood. I have a 2015 indy 600 and doing some off season maintenance. I want to clean everything under the hood but not sure what the best way is besides wiping everything down individually. Can you just spray a bunch of engine cleaner and hose it off? I'm worried about the electronics...

My answer is wrong but I never clean my sleds... ya they sit in a garage and get a cover thrown over them.. if they r not in my garage then they are being rode.. or in an enclosed trailer plus I only put on 500 miles a year so no dirt to speak of... my wife only rides like 250 miles a year

Take a damp rag and hand wipe down whatever it is you want to clean under the hood. Don’t use a powerwasher under the hood the water will mess up electronics and harnesses for sure. Better to stay after belt dust during the season wipe down occasionally. Really shouldn’t be much dirt under the hood unless you ride in water and mud or expose your sled to road salt and that kind of contamination.

Open trailer for me - covers with trash bags over the engines. Every year I spray degreaser on everything except the clutch parts. Pressure wash/hose them off. Run them till hot and let them dry for a couple of days with the hood open. Spray engine detailer/protector over everything and lube/grease everything again. No issues for me, but my newest is a '12. I figure more garbage get in there on the trailer - salt spray and a little water won't hurt.

Purple Power Degreaser works REALLY well to clean up the grime. Use it on the engine bay of my vehicles as well. Then follow it up with some tire detailer spray to shine up the rubber pieces.

I used to do it and now I don't do it because the degreaser took out the lube to the throttle body Springs and other parts that you wouldn't think about greasing. it wasn't a good outcome keeping it clean ....never again my two cents

Ps.... I do use La totally awesome on the bottom of the belly pan with like a rag in my hand and La Totally awesome sprayed on the rag.... then I just rinse with regular water...
    LA's totally awesome is orange juice does a great job you wouldn't believe it

Like tracker says I used to.. do it ( clean sleds ) I have had more issues in the past with springs exhaust pipes etc rusting and corrosion.. throttles being stuck wide open ... ya that’s safe.. less is more

I use WD-40 and a rag. Works great.