Default 3 options need opinions

Due to some family member living changes, my 2001 SRX triple will be leaving my hands in the next 8 months or so. Iím gonna be in the market for a new/newer sled and want to see what people think. Iím really not brand specific, although I probably would rank AC last. I ride 95% trails except for messing around in a ditch or two. I also donít need the latest and greatest, I just love to ride. Need opinions on a few models below. Probably thinking somewhere around $8,000 or less, let me know what you have been paying.

Indy 600- fuel injected, 121, basic but good ride, shocks are eh. Go SP if possible

Renegade sport 600 carb- is the 136 worth it over fuel injection? Mxz sport? Carbs donít bug me, the srx is a bear to start in the cold so electric start is nice to have

Used sled- what is good mileage to shoot for? Canít imagine some of these 2s sleds with 3-4,000 miles are worth it? I think Yamaha sleds will be too far out of price range unless mileage isnít a concern. Weight doesnít bug me either because the SRX was heavy.

Please try to keep this from being a pissing match, trying to start researching things and then keep my eyes open as deals pop up.

Dean

Should be able find very nice sled for that money.
    Think most important things when buying used is to find someone who really takes care of their equipment. Let brand come secondary.
    I would tend lean toward Doo E-tec or Yamaha if you wanted 4 stroke.

For that price you should be able to find a new left over. A new Indy or Ski-Doo mxz sport. Both sleds would be a much better ride then the srx. I would think you could find a low mile Ski-Doo 600 Tnt etec or Polaris 600 axys. I have had 4 600 etecs and have put on more then 8000 miles on all of them with no issues. When buying used all comes down to how well they are maintained.

Pat's has a 18 XCR with VERY LOW miles for 7995.
    Get it!!

- - - Updated - - -

https://patsmotorsports.com/Snowmobi...6-aa4901062780

Quote Originally Posted by sweeperguy View Post
    Pat's has a 18 XCR with VERY LOW miles for 7995.
    Get it!!

- - - Updated - - -

https://patsmotorsports.com/Snowmobi...6-aa4901062780
    Yea thatís a good deal, will be gone before I buy though

IMO< I also think you should be able to find a new left over sled for that price, and even a LOT of higher end sleds with low miles, and many still with warranty's on them
    all just comes down to how far your willing to go to get one!
    snow was good in some places last yr but not all>
    Trails here in PA< were NOT even really open at all last 2 yrs, should be LOTS of folks looking to sell and or dealers sitting on left overs!
    as for how many miles should you look at or stay away from?
    this is a loaded question as a lot comes down to what experience level you have on sled maintenance and or , are willing to do, to get a deal!

IMO< 2 stroke sleds after about 6-7 thousand miles, are getting to where a top end is NEEDED, if not sooner, and then factor in wear and tear, as NOT all powers do the same amount of care /pm's to things, so you have to keep that in mind on higher mile sleds
    If your a tool turner and like to play with sleds, , again, you can maybe do a good once over and save some $$
    if not, higher mile sleds can quickly become money pits , if a dealer will be doing ALL things! again, my 2 cents!

Snow was good by me so I haven’t seen a lot of holdovers at dealers. I have no problems doing some work and take care of my stuff better than 90% of people so I am particular about maintenance. Thinking if I stay under 2,000 miles that is a good benchmark. Sled right now has 5600 miles and never done a thing to do it outside of basics. Anyone have a doo sport 600? I think they are lower on power than most 600s...

I bought a new leftover cat 6000 last year for $8K. If you are spending that much I'd go new. Anything you get at that price point will be light years ahead of that 98. My 18 as night and day better than the 06 Polaris I came off of. I'd recommend sitting on a few and deciding that way. I'm not a brand guy either but I liked the way I fit on the Cat (rode the other 2 also before buying).

If new you might have to wait till the Fall as I think most of them roll back the rebates in the off season.

Looks like there are a couple low mileage Indy sp’s In the classifieds on this site, well under the $8k you mentioned.
    Last edited by Hoosier; 06-16-2019 at 04:31 PM.

I'd check out Ken's sports. Maybe even take a road trip. They usually have tons of leftovers Polaris and Cats. Ecklunds and Power Sports One (Yamaha) all close by too.

- - - Updated - - -

........Maybe come fall I'll sell ya my 2016 800 Renegade X 3200 miles.

I agree with Ken's sports the last time I looked they had 2018 Indy 600 so for $6800.

Not sure what is left out there with the new spring check only type programs. Seems the mannies are cutting way back in an effort to keep NOS at a minimum.
    Ken's was the place to go but I'm not seeing the same inventory of leftovers this year as in the past.,,,,23 sleds right now.....waaaaaay less than in the past.
    I doubt driving from the twin cities makes sense either.
    Last edited by snobuilder; 06-16-2019 at 09:24 PM.

M+M in Rushford MN. always seems to have a lot of leftovers too.

There are still some good left over deals at dealers in the Twin Cities - at least a month ago anyway. No need to drive to Ken's from the Twin Cities.

On a side note, used prices, or at least the asking prices, are easily $1000 above last years asking prices - guess that's the result of good snow/good winter.

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    There are still some good left over deals at dealers in the Twin Cities - at least a month ago anyway. No need to drive to Ken's from the Twin Cities.

On a side note, used prices, or at least the asking prices, are easily $1000 above last years asking prices - guess that's the result of good snow/good winter.
    Yes, I noticed that the used prices seem to be way high this year. I probably won't buy until next spring time anyways, so the prices could be totally different depending on the winter. Dad lives down in IL, so I can span multiple areas if I find a good deal. I think used is gonna be the way to go because I'll be able to get a much nicer sled, but jury is out still.

Quote Originally Posted by SledTL View Post
    Yes, I noticed that the used prices seem to be way high this year. I probably won't buy until next spring time anyways, so the prices could be totally different depending on the winter. Dad lives down in IL, so I can span multiple areas if I find a good deal. I think used is gonna be the way to go because I'll be able to get a much nicer sled, but jury is out still.
    Ok buying schedule is Spring 2020 canít ride until January 2021? If this is your timing I would advise to rent various models spend some seat time on different sleds. The market is shrinking and both Textron and Yamaha are on thin ice at their corporate levels. If any OEM leaves the snow business it will change the landscape and pricing of the used sled market. Imo test , do homework, check new products and see how winters play out. Could be a glut of good used sleds sitting in lots by then and a smaller OEM market. Things could be drastically different very soon time to keep your ear to the ground if considering Textron or Yamaha and how a possible exit could shake up the market new and used.

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    Ok buying schedule is Spring 2020 canít ride until January 2021? If this is your timing I would advise to rent various models spend some seat time on different sleds. The market is shrinking and both Textron and Yamaha are on thin ice at their corporate levels. If any OEM leaves the snow business it will change the landscape and pricing of the used sled market. Imo test , do homework, check new products and see how winters play out. Could be a glut of good used sleds sitting in lots by then and a smaller OEM market. Things could be drastically different very soon time to keep your ear to the ground if considering Textron or Yamaha and how a possible exit could shake up the market new and used.
    I will try to bum rides off of people with different sleds but at my price point, it lands me at a few years back from current, not worried about that. New doo renny sport is $7800 give or take. 2016ish Pro-S with 1800 miles is $7500.

I will try to bum rides off of people with different sleds but at my price point, it lands me at a few years back from current, not worried about that. New doo renny sport is $7800 give or take. 2016ish Pro-S with 1800 miles is $7500.
    Sounds like your focus is 2s which is fine but lots of low mile Vipers could be available within your budget in your time table. Low mile Apex and Vector are very difficult to find anymore but they are out there and you have plenty of time to find a cherry in the $5-7k range with eps as well. New or older used 4s are excellent trail sleds.

Sounds like your focus is 2s which is fine but lots of low mile Vipers could be available within your budget in your time table. Low mile Apex and Vector are very difficult to find anymore but they are out there and you have plenty of time to find a cherry in the $5-7k range with eps as well. New or older used 4s are excellent trail sleds.
    I was just using an example. There is lots of Vipers out there as well at a good price point, and I want another Yamaha. Can't put a GGB mountain can on a viper and close down trails though

2016ish Pro-S with 1800 miles is $7500.
    This sled was below $7k on the used market last year. Bought an 800 Pro-S Switchback with 400 miles for $7k last spring.

That ZR 6000 isn't a bad price or sled...
    You were right in your initial post when you said it was "bottom of the barrel". You couldn't pay me...

That ZR 6000 isn't a bad price or sled...
    If that AC 6000 is bottom of the barrel then we as sledders is spoiled brats....LOL

Having said that, I think that if you don't need to have an "8" on your hood, the 600's are a great bang for your buck.
    I think an AXYS XCR 600 is one sweet sled.

Due to some family member living changes, my 2001 SRX triple will be leaving my hands in the next 8 months or so. Iím gonna be in the market for a new/newer sled and want to see what people think. Iím really not brand specific, although I probably would rank AC last. I ride 95% trails except for messing around in a ditch or two. I also donít need the latest and greatest, I just love to ride. Need opinions on a few models below. Probably thinking somewhere around $8,000 or less, let me know what you have been paying.

Indy 600- fuel injected, 121, basic but good ride, shocks are eh. Go SP if possible

Renegade sport 600 carb- is the 136 worth it over fuel injection? Mxz sport? Carbs donít bug me, the srx is a bear to start in the cold so electric start is nice to have

Used sled- what is good mileage to shoot for? Canít imagine some of these 2s sleds with 3-4,000 miles are worth it? I think Yamaha sleds will be too far out of price range unless mileage isnít a concern. Weight doesnít bug me either because the SRX was heavy.

Please try to keep this from being a pissing match, trying to start researching things and then keep my eyes open as deals pop up.

Dean
    Dean,
    "Aim high" as the Air-Force used to say and thou shall be rewarded with best sled and best resale = best value!

Since you don't need a sled until February 2020 play this game;
    -Buy new leftover 2020 Ski-Doo 850 Renegade or 129'' track for $9,300 or $9,500 plus tax and reg. (Above budget but you will have mega resale).
    -Take the free financing from Sheffield that is usually available for 6-12 months.
    -Ride the best sled.

Remember, cost is not what you pay up-front, it is the total of depreciation after selling/trading-in and repairs.

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, DON'T BUY USED IF THERE IS NO WARRANTY, GUYS BEAT THE POOP OUT OF SLEDS!

Bear

Good ,better ,best is all about personal taste and experience. Sure there were OEM missteps like flaking rings, bad crank lubrication and just about everything regarding the Fusion. Lol. Used sleds can be a great value or a complete lemon. I bought a used Apex xtx with low mileage and it was a great sled but difficult to find a used creampuff Apex and Vectors theses days. So for me it was time to move on to new and in my case it was an Doo Enduro 900t since I put on way too many miles to think about a 2s. Imo if you put on 1000 miles or less a season 2s is the way to go. 2000 to 3000 or more miles a season that is 4s territory. Imo know what you need have an honest talk with yourself then buy accordingly. You have plenty of time to consider all sleds and riding applications.

I just saw a 2015 600 Axys Rush pop up for sale, 2900 miles and still asking $6600!!! Man used are prices high this year......

Good ,better ,best is all about personal taste and experience. Sure there were OEM missteps like flaking rings, bad crank lubrication and just about everything regarding the Fusion. Lol. Used sleds can be a great value or a complete lemon. I bought a used Apex xtx with low mileage and it was a great sled but difficult to find a used creampuff Apex and Vectors theses days. So for me it was time to move on to new and in my case it was an Doo Enduro 900t since I put on way too many miles to think about a 2s. Imo if you put on 1000 miles or less a season 2s is the way to go. 2000 to 3000 or more miles a season that is 4s territory. Imo know what you need have an honest talk with yourself then buy accordingly. You have plenty of time to consider all sleds and riding applications.
    Just found a 2014 Viper, O miles for under 8k......never left the showroom floor. Maybe I move my date up

Just found a 2014 Viper, O miles for under 8k......never left the showroom floor. Maybe I move my date up
    Hi Dean,
    "Harvest1121" should be able to weigh in on Vipers as he has been riding several the past 5 years and does like 5k in miles a year.

I remember test riding one and the most I can say is the 2014 (being the first year of the Artic Cat chassis) was nothing like riding an older 2 stroke Yamaha. it was heavy, revved to high heck to get the clutch engaged and had NVH levels I never thought I would see in a 4 stroke..needless to say I stayed with a 2 stroke.
    Some of these issues have been ironed out since 2014 I imagine.
    Once thing I do remember is at the end of the 2014/2015 season, Dealers were selling leftover 2014's in the $8,000 range cause nobody wanted them. So 5 years later is 8k a deal? Maybe, maybe not.

Do some research on the 2014 first year problems and then make a decision. Or, better yet ride one if possible.

2nd FYI; Yamaha has dialed back production big time since 2014 and changed it's business model on sleds in order to protect profits so an 8k Viper is not likely again.

Bear

Yep the Viper is a HUGE improvement over your 2001 SRX and brings you to rider forward technology. Inexpensive Vipers are out there but Yamaha as Fuji said has cut way back on production of Vipers and Sidewinders. There was a warm starting issue with early Vipers but I believe there was fix for that also chain cases leaked something to do with the seal of the gasket. Since zero miles make sure the dealer has corrected known manufacturering problems. The OEM agreement between Yamaha and Textron has drastically changed this year so be aware there is no long term agreement between the 2 companies. Where this is all going to end up is very debatable which again will affect new and used pricing.

JMO - but I'd only do that if you're going to hold onto it for a very long time. It may be new now but it's a 6 year sled after you've had it a year. Might be hard to sell it for a decent price in 2 years if that's what you are going for.

I thought about one of those also but decided to go with the 600 instead.

Those Vipers can really be woken up with clutching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    JMO - but I'd only do that if you're going to hold onto it for a very long time. It may be new now but it's a 6 year sled after you've had it a year. Might be hard to sell it for a decent price in 2 years if that's what you are going for.

I thought about one of those also but decided to go with the 600 instead.

Those Vipers can really be woken up with clutching.
    I'm 23, and starting graduate school this fall. I'm keeping whatever sled I buy until it doesn't snow anymore. I get comments on all the vehicles I own for their condition, so I don't really care that I am buying an older year sled per say.

go spend some time on the TY site, and learn about the first yr issue's with vipers/7000's
    not a lot of big issues, but there are some things you will maybe want to upgrade to make it more reliable and better runner, which will add to the costs
    where you might just be able to find a nice newer one with low miles on it for LESS

I sold my 16 ,7000 for 6800 last March, with 2k on and a LOT of upgrades and extra
    and seen several with less miles for what I was asking, just didn;t have all the add on's or extra's

not pushing cats sleds either, don;t care what you buy, just saying, there are some out there, hit craigslist , last time I looked I seen several vipers in my area for about 6 k, with less than 2k on them! back in March any how!

not super close to you, but?? food for thought,
    as fuel isn;'t that costly to travel LOL

this time of yr, someone might be willing to take a hiot to sell, rather than gamble on IF it will snow this winter!

https://nwct.craigslist.org/snw/d/20...896176030.html

https://albany.craigslist.org/snw/d/...883970711.html

https://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/s...913775629.html

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/snw/...895381803.html

https://www.snowmobiletrader.com/lis...LXR-5007256866

I'm 23, and starting graduate school this fall. I'm keeping whatever sled I buy until it doesn't snow anymore. I get comments on all the vehicles I own for their condition, so I don't really care that I am buying an older year sled per say.
    I'm not pushing Cat sleds on you - I rode each brand and found that chassis fit me best. If you like that chassis, I'd take a look at the 600. I wanted a viper for a long time but comparing the power, mileage (range), efficiency (gas & oil), weight (we aren't technical off trail riders but still find a way to get off trail and stuck a decent amount), and how many miles the Cat 600's seem to last, I'm decided to go that route.

Just my $0.02 - there are a lot of opinions out there, but take your time and get what you want. I was kind of in the same boat as you in that I'll run this for a lot of miles. Last one I rode for about 11K.

I'd ride an Artic Cat before I payed that much for a '14. .....IMHO.

Got a good deal on the viper this past weekend. '14 RTX SE with Fox Floats. Major upgrade, and should last me years of enjoyment. Now for a good winter

Got a good deal on the viper this past weekend. '14 RTX SE with Fox Floats. Major upgrade, and should last me years of enjoyment. Now for a good winter
    well congrats to you, but what NO pictures??
    come on we all like l=pictures you know! LOL

LOL 3 of these things belong together....one of these things is not the same....lol

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    well congrats to you, but what NO pictures??
    come on we all like l=pictures you know! LOL
    Worked a trade in on it so I had to get that sled out of storage to bring back up north. Will have a picture in two weeks for yíall

Worked a trade in on it so I had to get that sled out of storage to bring back up north. Will have a picture in two weeks for yíall
    Congrats!

Being a 4s user since 2007 only way to go for me. Yep Viper should serve you well way more fun to ride than wrench.

Here is my new wild child. Gonna be a long 4 months of waiting now.....

Viper.jpg

Neenah, Wisconsin. About 30 minutes south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Viper.jpg
    Viper.jpg

I think you'll like this better, here's your Yamaha Viper in all it's glory.

Buy a 600 etec renegade. You can find them for 9k or better easily, left over or end of the season. Itís the best sled in the industry. It does everything well. 3 ft of powder to snirt . And it always starts

Viper.jpg
    Congrats! I'm sure you be checking out totallyamaha and barn of parts to learn some of the things that can be done to them. The barn of parts guy has a lot of improvements at reasonable prices.

Viper.jpg

very nice, now while waiting you have lots of time to make some upgrades LOL
    maybe get rid of the tri hub, the 14-15's were known to have bad non serviceable bearings in them
    a GOOD tri hub replacement like the Larson racing, or JT will cure things and be a improvement at same time!

good idea to maybe re locate the fuse box, as its ina crappy place, if you ever blow a fuse, GOOD luck changing any trial side, unless you got some tiny hands and a sensitivity touch to blindly fight and replace fuses!
    blow the OEM fuse for heated shield and your lights go out and all display and brake light?
    SO< not a bad idea to wire that else where with a inline fuse you can actually get to!
    then little knobs that replace the seat Allen bolt so you can take on and off with fingers is a real nice add one and not that costly!
    float shock guards, just DON"T tighten them much at all they break when things get cold(I found you can fix a broken one with a zip tie and it will actually hold on better LOL)

a touring shield with mirrors makes life a LOT easier to keep tabs on ricky racers coming up behind you and or watching buddys!
    SEE< lots things you can add and help pass the time till snow falls!
    makes one realize just how the budget is never marge enough too HAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    Congrats! I'm sure you be checking out totallyamaha and barn of parts to learn some of the things that can be done to them. The barn of parts guy has a lot of improvements at reasonable prices.
    May I recommend the blue hair dryer with a nice 50 foot orange extension cord?

All the concerns listed by fellow fellas are funny for one of the best makers of product stymied by Cat crap influence.
    Ever ride a Yamaha cycle, tight as heck.

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
    May I recommend the blue hair dryer with a nice 50 foot orange extension cord?

All the concerns listed by fellow fellas are funny for one of the best makers of product stymied by Cat crap influence.
    Ever ride a Yamaha cycle, tight as heck.

Bear
    The relay upgrade is $20, and you need 2 of them.

He got a great sled for someone who plans to keep it for a long time.