Thread: Trail 3

Default Trail 3

Any Hancock to Calumet trail 3 updates for 2019/20 snowmobile season?

Unfortunately, it will remain closed between Dollar Bay and Lake Linden again this season. The wash outs were so severe that the DNR is still working with the federal government as well as the MI DEQ to process all that needs to be done to get it open. I believe that they play to actually re-route the trail up hill and above the most severe wash outs. It is a priority for them to get back opened, just a HUGE undertaking!

-John

Thank you fir the feedback!
    I expected the worst but I hoped for the best
    �� sure miss that trail Keweenaw riding is just not same without it!
    Ditto for the the Freda loop as well!

I honestly doubt the Freda will ever be fixed. Such huge washouts.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

agree

Heck they have not done restoration on the damaged streets in Hubbell yet, some only graveled last year, others filled in with washed down crap. People have been suffering with dust from gravel streets all summer. 2 catch basins on my street are still plugged and the gully washer we had the other day, the county had to send a sweeper down yesterday because E 12th was covered in gravel and sand. I have heard from disgruntled home owners who are po'd to hear they are working on the trail (from local bar owner) from Hendrickson Rd through Lake Linden.
    Last edited by eao; 08-07-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Man that's such a bummer to hear.

Sucks indeed. Freda loop was great. As far as road fixing, is it a $$$ problem you think?

UP ....MI is broke.....too many social programs. That is the rathole they sent your hard earned $$$$ down....down south to help the "less fortunate and unprivledged folks"

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    That's a huge bummer indeed. Anything to take a break from the straight rail trails. I liked stopping at the Redridge dam also.

Quote Originally Posted by wisco-mb View Post
    That's a huge bummer indeed. Anything to take a break from the straight rail trails. I liked stopping at the Redridge dam also.
    I never understood the allure of Trail 3 and the rest of the grade trails dip South and east a bit trails 14,15 ,111 ,5 miles and miles of Twistys.

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    I never understood the allure of Trail 3 and the rest of the grade trails dip South and east a bit trails 14,15 ,111 ,5 miles and miles of Twistys.
    Totally agree 100%

As long as I can get to dollar bay for steak dinner! Man is it good!! Now I’m hungry!

Last couple times I wanted to ride down there it was snirt. Seems like they get short changed on the snow fall alot of times. I agree though that is some awesome riding!!

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Last couple times I wanted to ride down there it was snirt. Seems like they get short changed on the snow fall alot of times. I agree though that is some awesome riding!!
    Always be less snow than 3 from Greenland north but usually plenty January to March. 14 and 5 usually lots of snow. Loop back on 8 to Sidnaw. The 8 reroute is pretty good thru the park and the oaks are good before you join up with 15s back to Sidnaw 15 south from Sidnaw all the way to Wi can be spotty but super fun Twistys.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Where on Freda are the washouts?

There are 3 huge washouts from Freda road to where the snowmobile trail connects to the rail grade, and then from there toward South Range there are at least two more. There is also a sizeable washout on the north Freda loop that is not on the grade.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

I see someone mentioned Redridge up above. I have seen the sign many times to go left off of the main trail. What all is that way?

Quote Originally Posted by jedoyle View Post
    I see someone mentioned Redridge up above. I have seen the sign many times to go left off of the main trail. What all is that way?
    The Dam is pretty much it, as far as I know. The trail would end at the parking lot. You could walk down and check the dam out. Unique dam considering it's steel.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by wisco-mb View Post
    Unique dam considering it's steel.
    Yes indeedy, the (click →) Redridge Steel Dam is certainly unique, one of only three such dams ever built in the US.

The "allure", if you want to call it that, of Trail 3 is simply that it is a fast and efficient way of getting to the twisties you speak of. If T3 was a twisty as well, far less of the area would be realistically accessible from a day ride perspective. Just like an interstate is boring in and of itself, but it gets you to where you want to be quicker. It sucks to have that section of T3 down because it is the much more scenic option (and less Stop signs/crossings) of the two options that get you between Hancock and Calumet, even if it is a fairly straight shot.

Seems like as of today, you really have to choose whether you want to ride/eat/lodge in the Twin Lakes or Greenland/Mass area, or somewhere Calumet and north. The loss of Freda and the section of T3 leaves a single thread of trail between Twin Lakes and Calumet that has huge traffic, is nearly impossible for the groomers to keep up on, and isn't particular fun or scenic (just my opinion). It has sort of broken the Keweenaw sledding experience into one of those two choices.
    Last edited by ICT Sledder; 08-13-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ICT Sledder View Post
    The "allure", if you want to call it that, of Trail 3 is simply that it is a fast and efficient way of getting to the twisties you speak of. If T3 was a twisty as well, far less of the area would be realistically accessible from a day ride perspective. Just like an interstate is boring in and of itself, but it gets you to where you want to be quicker. It sucks to have that section of T3 down because it is the much more scenic option (and less Stop signs/crossings) of the two options that get you between Hancock and Calumet, even if it is a fairly straight shot.

Seems like as of today, you really have to choose whether you want to ride/eat/lodge in the Twin Lakes or Greenland/Mass area, or somewhere Calumet and north. The loss of Freda and the section of T3 leaves a single thread of trail between Twin Lakes and Calumet that has huge traffic, is nearly impossible for the groomers to keep up on, and isn't particular fun or scenic (just my opinion). It has sort of broken the Keweenaw sledding experience into one of those two choices.
    I totally agree with you about trail 3 and you are supporting my point that 3 is way over used. Ride 50 miles south of Greenland / Mass visit Iron River , Amasa approach Sidnaw from the south and you will never touch Trail 3. The iron county interior has the best mix of trails in the western UP just south of the snow belt. Not many amenities but the trails are pristine and traffic is light. If you stick to trail 3 you never really see what UP Twistys offer. Plenty of unplowed FRs as well for the adventure riders. Trail 3 is fun once or twice but gets boring quickly not very technical for the riders that like to test their skill. Trail 3 is very mainstream which is aok but there is more demanding trails a bit south well worth checking out.

Totally agree with ICT.
    Add in swampy/ low snow towards Gay, and inevitable "closed" for logging trails and it just hasn't been same last few years in Keweenaw.
    The other part of "allure" of trail 3 area is when booking months out for January,(heck, anytime) where u gonna book, yup, snow country. 50 miles south might not even be ridable.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
    Totally agree with ICT.
    Add in swampy/ low snow towards Gay, and inevitable "closed" for logging trails and it just hasn't been same last few years in Keweenaw.
    The other part of "allure" of trail 3 area is when booking months out for January,(heck, anytime) where u gonna book, yup, snow country. 50 miles south might not even be ridable.
    No doubt trail 3 is mainstream and popular and in the snowbelt for the most part. If you want to ease the crush try further south and east believe me you will prefer those trails once you try them. I’m not a high traffic trail rider but if that’s what you like stick to trail 3. You know the saying you can lead a horse to water.... you know the rest. Lol. The entire UP always gets snow not as much as big snow country but always enough to ride in excellent conditions and groom. Iron County trails were super good mid January to April. Early December riding is always iffy on trail 3 Watersmeet to CH for a lot of good reasons. I really don’t start with big miles until mid January when I know I have good conditions in a 100 mile circle from Phelps. Logging, washouts , reroutes happen every year and for me I pick the best for big mile day trips and always have bailouts to consider if conditions go bad. Only
    way to ride imo options can make the day.

The great thing about trail 3 is how fast you can get to another location. The bad thing is the heavy traffic that can turn it into a mogul field. Have stayed at the Parkview in Twin Lakes for a four night stay. One day riding north to Copper Harbor. Day two hit the trail just south of Krumps, after eating a pasty of course. I believe 13 head over to Greenland, Ontanogon, Lake of the Clouds, Hurley into Iron county WI. Come back up through Marensco and Bergland to Mass back up 3 to Twin Lakes. Day 3 trail 109 to head over to Baraga, then Big Bay and Marquette back on 8 to if I remember correctly is trail 16 then back up 3. Day 4 Freda loop, which is no longer available then down 3 to Bond Falls and decide if heading into WI or toward Iron Mountain.

Trail 3 from Twin Lakes allows you to see so much of the U.P. From one spot. A quick ride to diversity, and if your lucky enough to only get away from the farm once or twice a winter you need to enjoy where you go. Personally some of the best sledding I've ever had has been in these areas. Granted I have also seen the bad to.

Will likely not ride up to Copper Harbor again until 3 is repaired. Really liked being able to go up through the west side, and then back down the east on completely different trails. It showed such diversity. Always would stop in Lac La Belle at the Bear Belly. Great burgers.
    Last edited by WorkHardPlayHrd; 08-14-2019 at 05:40 PM.

stay on trail 3, it rocks and you won't get lost...safe, fast and fun!! trail 15....scary and loooong ...with no civilization to speak of....very risky.

Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post
    stay on trail 3, it rocks and you won't get lost...safe, fast and fun!! trail 15....scary and loooong ...with no civilization to speak of....very risky.
    Where is your sense of adventure, or are you doing reverse psychology to keep others away from preferred trails.😉

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardPlayHrd View Post
    Where is your sense of adventure, or are you doing reverse psychology to keep others away from preferred trails.��
    Yep you guessed it SB doesn’t want new riders in his stomping grounds. Lol. I have been discussing alternate trails to T3 for years and guess what riders always stick like glue to T3. Adventure riding and new trails without amenities culls the heard. I like adventure riding a lot more than the mainstream trails and it would be nice to have a few more riders in the area if I break down riding alone. In any event alternate trails are there if you want ride them.