Thread: Gooch's

Default Gooch's

Sorry to hear about Gooch's in Boulder Junction burning. Hopefully they choose to rebuild. The bar/restaurant can be replaced, but all the wildlife mounts possibly lost in the fire and the memories made in taking them can not.

I dont think the mounts are possibly gone, they called in equipment to knock it down to help the fire fight. At least with the suspected car that did it the owners dont have to go through all the rumors of Arson like most of the rumors of bars/ restaurants that burn

From the pictures I've seen, there isn't a wall standing. I hope the idiot spinning donuts in the parking lot is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Tried to go there Friday but was too busy was a great place hope they rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by RHFD547 View Post
    From the pictures I've seen, there isn't a wall standing. I hope the idiot spinning donuts in the parking lot is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    Complete loss lucky no one was injured no salvage in that mess. What an idiot! Hopefully he had insurance to cover the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    Complete loss lucky no one was injured no salvage in that mess. What an idiot! Hopefully he had insurance to cover the loss.
    Idiot is an understatement. One of my favorite places to stop along the trail. Still can't believe it.

Prayers to Gooch & Laurel. Our groups favorite stop by far. Good food, good people. Hope they can recover & either rebuild or relocate.
    Last edited by soxfan3; 08-12-2019 at 09:39 PM.

So this asshat was spinning out in the parking lot and lost control, hit the light pole and his POS caught on fire? Is that what happened? Man that is terrible. Never been there but drove by many times. It always seemed busy. Terrible deal there.

You got it "Slimcake". His POS caught on fire which in turn, caught the restaurant on fire. I've only been there a handful of times but they are wonderful people and have great food. It's a shame that something they have worked their butts off to establish is ruined by some immature idiot who has probably not worked a day in his life. From what I'm hearing, they are already in the early stages of planning a rebuild. As expected, there is the inevitable battle with the insurance company. I encourage everyone to stop by and support their recovery efforts when the opportunity exists.

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

thats sucks , was a great place !

Quote Originally Posted by RHFD547 View Post
    You got it "Slimcake". His POS caught on fire which in turn, caught the restaurant on fire. I've only been there a handful of times but they are wonderful people and have great food. It's a shame that something they have worked their butts off to establish is ruined by some immature idiot who has probably not worked a day in his life. From what I'm hearing, they are already in the early stages of planning a rebuild. As expected, there is the inevitable battle with the insurance company. I encourage everyone to stop by and support their recovery efforts when the opportunity exists.
    Everything you said I agree with except the " inevitable battle with the insurance co" I've been in the insurance business for over 30 years, I've personally been involved in every type of claim possible... from fires, tornado's, liability, malpractice, cars, boat's, snowmobiles, etc, etc, etc you get the point.... I'm talking hundreds and hundreds of claims and all turning out with a positive outcome. Over the last 30+ years, I've had probably seen less than 20 claims that have not gown well and in most cases, it was the insured not properly covered or buying crap insurance. If the insured purchases the correct coverage to cover the needed exposure, there will not be a problem...... So please don't "paintbrush" all insurance companies as a pain in the a## at time of claim..... not true.

Quote Originally Posted by shelby369 View Post
    Everything you said I agree with except the " inevitable battle with the insurance co" I've been in the insurance business for over 30 years, I've personally been involved in every type of claim possible... from fires, tornado's, liability, malpractice, cars, boat's, snowmobiles, etc, etc, etc you get the point.... I'm talking hundreds and hundreds of claims and all turning out with a positive outcome. Over the last 30+ years, I've had probably seen less than 20 claims that have not gown well and in most cases, it was the insured not properly covered or buying crap insurance. If the insured purchases the correct coverage to cover the needed exposure, there will not be a problem...... So please don't "paintbrush" all insurance companies as a pain in the a## at time of claim..... not true.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by shelby369 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Been in insurance for 20+ years. Thank you for this post.

real freak occurrence...not many cars nowadays that "spin donuts" on dry pavement....Early frost?...damn the bad luck for all involved.
    I feel real bad for the person that hit the pole. I doubt that was their mission.......to burn down a famous bar....If he was drunk did he get drunk there or at another over serving bar? Not hard to find a bar upnorth that won't give you all you want ...at least til you are broke, eh?...lol
    Last edited by snobuilder; 08-13-2019 at 10:18 PM.

From what my buddy that lives in Presque Isle heard this 18 yr old ****head was denied access/alcohol at Gooch's that night and got pissed. Came back after hours to f up his parking lot.

Geez ****head is right. Atleast he is 18 so he can be punished. I hope they don't go easy on him. Life has consequences. Just ask the owners of Gooches....

We were going to stop there on Saturday on our ride up but the place was packed so we just headed to the cabin. Sunday morning it was gone. Now I have to break the news to my granddaughter because it was her favorite stop on both Sled and Car in winter and summer. Loved the various mounts and the duckie game. I hope they can rebuild, or we will have to chalk it up as another pit stop gone in the area along with the closing of Zastro's and PI Pub, literally few and far inbetween these days.

Trial by social media...all fun and games til yur the one on trial....LOL...my buddy said.
    Last edited by snobuilder; 08-14-2019 at 10:03 PM.

According to the today's Vilas County News, it was a 20 year old from Orland Park, IL named Connor Cavanaugh. He is in jail with the two charges pending, DUI and reckless driving. Him and 2 of his buddies came back after closing because they were kicked out. I'm surprised there aren't more charges.

Ahhh a FIB eh??..... Ya don't say....

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Ahhh a FIB eh??..... Ya don't say....
    Umm, if you read the court reports in the Vilas County news, 99% of the stupid, illegal activities are committed by locals and others from Wisconsin. Responding to a post from someone from Illinois with a FIB comment just shows you're ignorance to those facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle River Mike View Post
    Umm, if you read the court reports in the Vilas County news, 99% of the stupid, illegal activities are committed by locals and others from Wisconsin. Responding to a post from someone from Illinois with a FIB comment just shows you're ignorance to those facts.
    LOL I wouldn't expect anything else..... LOL

Booze has no boundries

Illinois people always ruining a good place they should stay home. Well heading back up on Wednesday for the holiday its nice have a place up there now. Bents Camp had a bumper sticker on a side garage door that said DO NOT ILLINOIS US Thought it was funny just morons in every state.

ah..a little sensitive there mikey?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rp7x View Post
    Booze has no boundries
    ha..speaking from experience my friend...? ha

Well said!

sadly to say if fib's did not visit lots of resorts and bars etc would not stand a chance . next time your out and about look in the parking lot and see how may plates are from another state . it does not matter what time of year or season . As stated every states has the knuckle heads.

Quote Originally Posted by russr View Post
    sadly to say if fib's did not visit lots of resorts and bars etc would not stand a chance . next time your out and about look in the parking lot and see how may plates are from another state . it does not matter what time of year or season . As stated every states has the knuckle heads.
    I agree, but definitely some bad apples. I was talking to a fib a couple of years ago and he was complaining about getting a ticket up here, so I asked him what happened and he said he was spinning nuts on the road in Copper City and got caught. Said he spends a lot of money up here and it was chicken shi& to give him a ticket ..........

Quote Originally Posted by UP RIDER View Post
    I agree, but definitely some bad apples. I was talking to a fib a couple of years ago and he was complaining about getting a ticket up here, so I asked him what happened and he said he was spinning nuts on the road in Copper City and got caught. Said he spends a lot of money up here and it was chicken shi& to give him a ticket ..........
    LOL - that's like the guy I recently saw walking out of a concert that had a drink in his hand, saw the cops so he throws the drink in the little water way outside the place (Littering), and as the cops approach him he says "What?" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    We were going to stop there on Saturday on our ride up but the place was packed so we just headed to the cabin. Sunday morning it was gone. Now I have to break the news to my granddaughter because it was her favorite stop on both Sled and Car in winter and summer. Loved the various mounts and the duckie game. I hope they can rebuild, or we will have to chalk it up as another pit stop gone in the area along with the closing of Zastro's and PI Pub, literally few and far inbetween these days.
    Zastrows AND P.I. Pub are both closed? What happened to Zastrow's cottages?

@blkhwkbob I was thinking the same thing. Any details about Zastrow's would be appreciated. How are Dave and Betty doing?
    Last edited by scott_b; 09-03-2019 at 12:58 PM.

I understand that PI Pub just closed their doors in July, no real explanation on the closed sign on the door or from what I have heard. I believe that Zastros is still renting cabins but I have not seen the bar open in years. But I admit I am not there everyday.

PI Pub is supposed to reopen with one of the bartenders buying it last I heard a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by trebsdub View Post
    PI Pub is supposed to reopen with one of the bartenders buying it last I heard a couple weeks ago.
    Here's what I heard and saw this summer. The PI pub is being purchased by the owner of the Guides Inn and Boulder Beer Bar. One of the former Pub workers is going to manage it. The Pub needs quite a bit of work to bring it up to current standards and they're going to do it before they reopen. Hopefully it is ready for sled season.

The Pub was closed with no announcement in July. The place had been for sale for a while and the owner was faced with making several repairs and decided to close. Like everyone else, Casey had a hard time finding help in the Northwood and selling the bar didn't happen until after it closed.

Zastros was still renting cabins this summer and the bar was open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The kitchen was closed and the only food available was bar pizza. I wasn't in there this year but this is what I was told and they also had hours on the sign.

Unfortunately this is all too common up there. Even in a good year its a struggle to find good help and remain profitable. Several places have closed around the area in the last ten years. Other than Manitowish Waters most towns have lost establishments. And the only reason Mannitowish Waters hasn't is the many contributions Liz makes to the area.

My idea is: let the immigrants in, and give them lodging and a business to run in the Northwoods. Let them run it for five years, and then they can become full citizens, go where they want to go and pass the business to the next group of immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by blkhwkbob View Post
    My idea is: let the immigrants in, and give them lodging and a business to run in the Northwoods. Let them run it for five years, and then they can become full citizens, go where they want to go and pass the business to the next group of immigrants.
    A handout to an illegal alien?....chit, Bob....gimme my share of taxes back to me free and clear....As a US citizen.... in the form of an upnorth resort/business and I'll have yur sled heaven room ready everytime you venture up.....Shaking My Head....You must be a FIB with yur handout ideas....LOL...yur state needs to be sent south of the border ...that is my bright idea.

Give them a closed down boarded up business that nobody else wants. Not a thriving business. Not sure if you noticed, but there are a ton of places closing down up there, the ones that are open can't find employees, and most of the rental properties can't find people to clean the places. Immigrants want to come here, send them up north and hopefully they move in next door to Snobuilder.
    Last edited by blkhwkbob; 09-11-2019 at 01:53 AM.

Yea, they can move in next to my property that I worked hard to own and pay taxes on as a US citizen....right after they go through the legal immigration process.

Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post
    Yea, they can move in next to my property that I worked hard to own and pay taxes on as a US citizen....right after they go through the legal immigration process.

Common ground with snobuilder. This is it. Can't agree more!!

Why does everyone want to give **** away too hard to earn it? Everyone wants to be a millionaire over night no one wants to do the thankless back breaking work.

I am STILL waiting on MY 40 and a mule. The only slave on MY land is, ME.

Quote Originally Posted by szotty View Post
    Why does everyone want to give **** away too hard to earn it? Everyone wants to be a millionaire over night no one wants to do the thankless back breaking work.
    If everyone had a million dollars a million dollars wouldn't be worth poop.

Bear

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blkhwkbob View Post
    Those varmints can be crafty.
    My sister who is in the CBP climbed up the 30 foot wall in AZ to take down a grappling hook made out of 3 pieces of rebar and rope.
    Nobody knows if they made it across, how many made it across but one thing is for sure; they left it there for the next varmint to use.

The only thing I would give them is a ride back.

Bear

VOTES. They are appealing to EMOTIONS, not FACTS.

LOL, backbreaking work. Have you worked with anyone born here in the past twenty years? I don't know how it is in your parts, but these kids don't want to break their backs, or lift a finger. Good tradesmen are getting very hard to find. Hispanics do all the roofs and concrete work now. The Europeans don't come here any more because they can make a good living all over Europe now. In fact, if you were just a good, all around handyman you could make a fortune in Chicago if you did ONE THING: show up to people's houses. The next generation wants to go to college and graduate with an $80k a year job waiting for them somewhere warm. They aren't dreaming of opening up some dumpy bar in the Northwoods.

Bars are going to continue to close down. The only ones that do good around here anymore are ones that serve good food. You have to have good food and people playing the gambling machines lol. Then bars go in trends, one will be busy and do well for a few years, then it dies down.

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Common ground with snobuilder. This is it. Can't agree more!!
    now ur scarin me

I just saw a post on FB that they had a new foundation poured. I don't have any specific on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by chunk06 View Post
    Bars are going to continue to close down. The only ones that do good around here anymore are ones that serve good food. You have to have good food and people playing the gambling machines lol. Then bars go in trends, one will be busy and do well for a few years, then it dies down.
    Not necessarily. We had three bars reopen this summer on the Eagle River chain. Some of them have been closed for years. Kickback Grill (FKA Hiawatha), Marina Bar and Eagle Lake Resort. Its great to have somewhere different to go especially with all the old world charm.

Not necessarily. We had three bars reopen this summer on the Eagle River chain. Some of them have been closed for years. Kickback Grill (FKA Hiawatha), Marina Bar and Eagle Lake Resort. Its great to have somewhere different to go especially with all the old world charm.
    Anyone been to Bucktails to try some tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by nc666 View Post
    Anyone been to Bucktails to try some tacos.
    Taco's?

When LA try Tico's Tacos. They serve one type of Taco's, one type of Burrito, chips and salsa, drinks and nothing else.

Bad snowmobiling there, btw.

Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.

Oh... Them taco's ain't for eating. Thems just for lookin at.

Drove by Gooch’s Sunday and the foundation is in and construction materials are on site, good to see they are rebuilding.

Great news!

As best I can tell there was a plea agreement in this case, appears he was fined a little over $1000, license revoked and ignition interlock for a period of time. I didn't see anything about any restitution. Below is a link to the casehttps://wcca.wicourts.gov/caseDetail...3&mode=details

Any word on an opening date? Things seem to have slowed down

Quote Originally Posted by MATTR View Post
    Any word on an opening date? Things seem to have slowed down
    I heard at one time they were running low on money and were doing some fundraising to help, and from what I also heard the kids family had a good lawyer and didn’t pay spit. So think that screeed Gooch’s also.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by goofy600 View Post
    I heard at one time they were running low on money and were doing some fundraising to help, and from what I also heard the kids family had a good lawyer and didn’t pay spit. So think that screeed Gooch’s also.
    Didn't pay spit?
    Ramsey
    posted the court records, din'cha read 'em?

Case# Statute Description Disposition Judgement Paid to Court Balance due to court
    2019TR001085 343.305(9)(a) Refuse to Take Test for Intoxication After Arrest Dismissed on Prosecutor's Motion BAC citation dismissed and Refusal found reasonable. 1 N/A $0.00
    2019TR001067 346.63(1)(a) OWI (1st) Guilty Due to No Contest Plea Fined $1,050.00 due in 60 days.

Driver's license revoked for 8 months.

To comply with AODA assessment and driver safety plan.

IID requirement for 12 months.
    $1,050.00 $0.00
    2019TR001068 346.62(2) Reckless Driving-Endanger Safety Guilty Due to No Contest Plea Forfeiture / Fine $389.50 $389.50 $0.00
    All fines were paid to the court. Further action required:

• Driver's license revoked for 8 months.
    • To comply with AODA assessment and driver safety plan.
    • IID requirement for 12 months.

Plus attorney's fees. (Probably well into 4 digits at least.)
    Nowhere near enough of a penalty, IMHO.

(1 Since when is a refusal to take a BAC test "reasonable"?)

Gooch's should also sue him for damages in civil court. Could at least get a garnishment of any existing assets, and future earnings as they arise, up to the total judgement in such civil case, plus Gooch's attorneys fees..

Went by on the bike a couple of weeks ago-----the place is going to be huge! Wouldn't expect opening until next year unless they ramp it up!

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    Didn't pay spit?
    Ramsey
    posted the court records, din'cha read 'em?

Case# Statute Description Disposition Judgement Paid to Court Balance due to court
    2019TR001085 343.305(9)(a) Refuse to Take Test for Intoxication After Arrest Dismissed on Prosecutor's Motion BAC citation dismissed and Refusal found reasonable. 1 N/A $0.00
    2019TR001067 346.63(1)(a) OWI (1st) Guilty Due to No Contest Plea Fined $1,050.00 due in 60 days.

Driver's license revoked for 8 months.

To comply with AODA assessment and driver safety plan.

IID requirement for 12 months.
    $1,050.00 $0.00
    2019TR001068 346.62(2) Reckless Driving-Endanger Safety Guilty Due to No Contest Plea Forfeiture / Fine $389.50 $389.50 $0.00
    All fines were paid to the court. Further action required:

• Driver's license revoked for 8 months.
    • To comply with AODA assessment and driver safety plan.
    • IID requirement for 12 months.

Plus attorney's fees. (Probably well into 4 digits at least.)
    Nowhere near enough of a penalty, IMHO.

(1 Since when is a refusal to take a BAC test "reasonable"?)

Gooch's should also sue him for damages in civil court. Could at least get a garnishment of any existing assets, and future earnings as they arise, up to the total judgement in such civil case, plus Gooch's attorneys fees..
    1000 buck fine to the govt. 500,000 dollar rebuilding project. Guessing there but the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime... 1000 bucks buys 30 sheets of plywood right now...

My understanding is they are running into delivery issues on equipment. This has slowed things a bit.

Tim

That doesn't surprise me. Talking to a friend that runs a hardware/lumber store, she said that it would surprise her is 2x4x8's go up to 10 bucks a piece as you can't get lumber right now. Supply is very low.

Square D breaker switches in certain sizes are on back order and have been for months. Local electrition pulled in the other day because he knows we carry spares so I don't have to bug him on the weekend. Asked if I'd sell him back my one spare. I told him I just couldn't do that. I have ten breakers that use that size on the farm and all are required for daily use. So I hope something changes between now and when I end up using it.