Thread: Crossed battery

Default Crossed battery

OK, this board is getting slow so I have a question. When I was summarizing my sleds in the spring, I accidently touched one of the battery leads (I think the positive) and the metal part of the battery box at the same time with a screw driver. That caused a big spark. Didn't try to start sled after as it already went through the Etec summarization process. What damage could I have caused? I see there is a 25 amp fuse near the battery. Would that have saved the brain box from any damage? Wont try staring it until late October at the earliest. Total opps moment. Just trying to plan ahead for a possible repair. 2017 Ski Doo Grand Touring Etec 600.

Thanks,

If you shorted direct from the battery terminal to ground I would not think you will have any issues. Assuming it was a quick blast of spark. Because it was direct on the battery and not shorted after the fuse, the fuse never blew. Trying it sooner rather than later obviously gives you more time just in case any repairs are needed. I would bet on no issues caused by your oops.

Neenah, Wisconsin. About 30 minutes south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

I don't have an Etec but aren't they real easy and quick to summerize? I would start her up just for kicks and grins. If she starts you're all good, if not then you have plenty of time for repairs. Waiting for the snow to fall is tempting fate, you don't want to be in the shop when the trails open up. Just my 2 cents and that's about all it's worth.

Oh, by the way, all of us worthy of a zip tie and a roll of duct tape have touched off a spark or two from the battery. Usually nothing too serious other than a puff of smoke followed by a profanity.