Default Western UP fall colors

I want to bring my girls up for the fall colors. When is the best weekend? We will have the SXS

I'm sure you're looking for first hand feedback, but there is also this:

https://www.uptravel.com/recreation/...color-reports/

Wife and I are head U.P. on the 9th. Should be about right. Gonna cool off after today so that might speed things up.

Will be in Northern Wisconsin tomorrow night will let you know

First to second week of October.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Thanks for the help everyone looks like first weekend in October it is! Anyone know if you can take SXS up to Lake of the Clouds?

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by XTEAM View Post
    I want to bring my girls up for the fall colors. When is the best weekend? We will have the SXS
    Watch this space: (click →) The Foliage Network! | Foliage Reports.

There's a new report every Monday and Thursday during the months of September, October and November.
    It's a pretty accurate general picture, but of course it's always best to have a current report from someone local (like Skylar!).

Here is the Foliage Report for the Midwest for (click →) September 23, 2019.

60 % maybe in eastern Vilas but I’m in the hardwood Nicolet Forest lots of maples and yellow birch. UP is usually later than us.

Try and hit the gun barrel out of Lac La Belle. Pictures not from this year. Time frame was October 6-8.

DSC_0977.jpg
    DSC_0986.jpg

Wow! Awesome picture!!

Cranberry Fest next weekend in Eagle River there will be 20,000-30,000 people in the areas not the time to be here unless you enjoy a crowd.

Good thing I am waiting until the 9th then. I go to the U.P. to get away from people!!! Should time the colors about right as well. I actually blew this picture up and it is hanging on the wall in my garage. Special place up there. IMG_20161022_113938279.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Good thing I am waiting until the 9th then. I go to the U.P. to get away from people!!! Should time the colors about right as well. I actually blew this picture up and it is hanging on the wall in my garage. Special place up there. IMG_20161022_113938279.jpg
    Been there. Have almost that same pic.

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    Watch this space: (click →) The Foliage Network! | Foliage Reports.

There's a new report every Monday and Thursday during the months of September, October and November.
    It's a pretty accurate general picture, but of course it's always best to have a current report from someone local (like Skylar!).

Here is the Foliage Report for the Midwest for (click →) September 23, 2019.
    Im only semi local, just u.p. there every weekend, almost.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

I noticed it was starting to turn last Sunday when I came south. I bet it going to be pretty this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by harvest1121 View Post
    Will be in Northern Wisconsin tomorrow night will let you know
    I'm in Iron River WI (NWWI), only 50% color right now

Quote Originally Posted by XTEAM View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone looks like first weekend in October it is! Anyone know if you can take SXS up to Lake of the Clouds?
    No SxS allowed up to the Lake in the Clouds, the trail doesn't go past White Pine. Would be nice if there was!

Just asking. Are you able to ride roads and highways in MI? I see SxS locally ride them here in WI; don't know if they are designated right of ways or not.

Quote Originally Posted by wirev View Post
    Just asking. Are you able to ride roads and highways in MI? I see SxS locally ride them here in WI; don't know if they are designated right of ways or not.
    Only county roads, no state highways unless they have been approved by the state.

Its in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, only accessible on foot. 3/4 or so mile hike from End of M-107. Daily non-resident: $9

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

From (click →) The Foliage Network! | Foliage Reports, as of yesterday (October 2, 2019) North of a line from LaCrosse to Green Bay it's still pretty much still just moderate color, with low leaf drop.
    10032019_lc.gif

10032019_ld.gif

As for the (click →) Keweenaw Club's Brushing and signing event weekend on October 25-26,
    last year on that weekend most of Wisconsin and da UP were well past peak, with high leaf drop.
    10252018_lc.gif

10252018_ld.gif

Leaving wednesday AM. Should time it pretty close I would think!! The two of us sure need some time off to relax. I can think of no better place to slow down!!

Expecting 30-40,000 in Eagle River this weekend for Cranberry Fest. I knew the numbers were up but I didn't think it was that high. Peace and quiet it will not be around here.

Quote Originally Posted by wirev View Post
    Expecting 30-40,000 in Eagle River this weekend for Cranberry Fest. I knew the numbers were up but I didn't think it was that high. Peace and quiet it will not be around here.
    That sounds awful!! What the heck does a crowd like that come to do? What is the main attraction?

That sounds awful!! What the heck does a crowd like that come to do? What is the main attraction?
    Most of them are just getting away from Minnesota.

Last weekend top of Rockland on way to Watersmeet from Dollar Bay. Good trip but colors were just starting to change. Went up to mouth of gratiot before that weekend and colors were starting to get underway up that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike wagner; 10-05-2019 at 11:33 AM.

You must consider that many people are "Sun birds" and are just returning for a huge festival and the colors. 2-3 weekends in the Fall are as big as many of the Summer weekends up here.

Quote Originally Posted by blkhwkbob View Post
    Ya if you weren't from IL ya could get by with that comment. FIB....

ha..yea and he dishonors my hawks..

Quote Originally Posted by blkhwkbob View Post
    dats funny !!!!!!

We just got back from a UP trip, I would say between Twin Lakes and Houghton is very close if not at Peak, and between Hancock and Copper has lots of color but isn't quite at peak yet. But out riding on trails you come upon pockets that are very colorful and the views from Brockway are fantastic.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by clark_w View Post
    We just got back from a UP trip, I would say between Twin Lakes and Houghton is very close if not at Peak, and between Hancock and Copper has lots of color but isn't quite at peak yet. But out riding on trails you come upon pockets that are very colorful and the views from Brockway are fantastic.

CW
    Pics?

Oh, let me and try to remember or figure out how to post pics again.

CW

Here are a few Keweenaw Color Shots, all taken yesterday (09-07-19) on the North side of the bridge, the road shot from M-26 just outside of Mason. The Lake Freighter was taken at the Swede town creek boat launch near Hancock. We are probably around 75% color, still lots to go.-Mezz 20191007_122655.jpg20191007_115745.jpg20191007_115742.jpg

Looks like we are timing it right. Headed up tomorrow!! Even got a night in the crows nest in copper harbor. Should be great!!

Default Foliiage Network's Midwest report for October 7

From (click →) The Foliage Network! | Foliage Reports, as of yesterday (October 7, 2019)

From Wisconsin's Northern Highlands to ≈ Iron Mountain, MI and north through the Huron Mountains was still High Color, with Houghton and Keweenaw counties and the eastern UP still hanging in with Moderate Color. Leaf Drop in Wisconsin's Northern Highlands and all of the UP was reported as Moderate.

It looks like a good chance of Peak Color showing up within the next week.
    10072019_lc.gif

10072019_ld.gif

As for the (click →) Keweenaw Club's Brushing and signing event weekend on October 25-26,
    last year on that weekend most of Wisconsin and da UP were well past peak, with high leaf drop. It's beginning to look like this year might be similar.

Well we went to the far North Western UP over the weekend and it was definitely close to peak. Get down around Vilas county and they are probably less than a week away from peak conditions

Lac La Belle this morning.
    062.jpg038.jpg032.jpg027.jpg023.jpg

It won’t let me load up my pictures

Some photos from mountain bike ride today.

A couple more photos at the end of my ride today. For whom it may concern, I noticed that the ATV trail 134 is closed at Mandan for heavy logging activity.
    160.jpg179.jpg186.jpg

9DD84AD9-1076-4017-9D48-1F86F24226A2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

CF9831C8-963E-405B-BD3C-91B09FCD5167.jpg there i got it to work!

Here is a satellite view of the UP. You can really see the color change.

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mo...r.143.250m.jpg

Default Foliage Network's Midwest report for October 10

From (click →) The Foliage Network! | Foliage Reports, as of today (October 10, 2019)

Wisconsin's Northern Highlands and from ≈Ironwood to ≈Iron Mountain, MI and north through much of the Huron Mountains is now at Peak Color, with Houghton and Keweenaw counties and the eastern UP still hanging in with Moderate Color.

Leaf Drop from LaCrosse through Wisconsin's Northern Highlands to ≈Iron Mountain and all of the UP is reported as still Moderate.
    10102019_lc.gif

10102019_ld.gif
    Last edited by frnash; 10-10-2019 at 05:12 PM.

IMG_20191010_102631888.jpg one of the many great shots from the last couple days. It's the most vibrant I have seen the colors in years

IMG_20191010_102631888.jpg one of the many great shots from the last couple days. It's the most vibrant I have seen the colors in years
    Strange what happens when it rains.

Bear

Which falls is that?

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxal View Post
    Which falls is that?
    If I had to guess, I'd say it sure looks like
    (click →) WikedyPedia: Bond Falls.

Bond Falls.JPG

Default Foliage Network's Midwest report for Monday, October 14

From (click →) The Foliage Network! | Foliage Reports, as of Monday (October 14, 2019)

In spite of the stunning colors in some of the pictures in John's Journal entry of October 13, 2019, "A Dandy" and other posts in this thread, it ain't necessarily over yet:

Wisconsin's Northern Highlands and south of a line from ≈Ironwood through the Huron Mountains, and north of ≈Iron Mountain, MI through Chippewa and Mackinac Counties at eastern end of the UP is all at Peak Color, while Houghton and Keweenaw counties seem to still be hanging in with Moderate Color.

Leaf Drop north of a line from ≈LaCrosse through ≈Green Bay and all of the UP is reported as still Moderate, with areas to the south still showing Low Leaf Drop.
    10142019_lc.gif

10142019_ld.gif
    Not very many days left for this year …
    FLS.jpg
    She's warming up!

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxal View Post
    Which falls is that?
    Yep its the Bond falls. I would like to be there sometime when the alarm goes off!! LOL. The power company I believe (frnash???) spent most of the money building that park. The steps along the south side are pretty neat. Get up close to the action!! Can you guess where this is?IMG_20191010_121218838.jpg
    Last edited by slimcake; 10-16-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Yep its the Bond falls. I would like to be there sometime when the alarm goes off!! LOL. The power company I believe (frnash???) spent most of the money building that park. The steps along the south side are pretty neat. Get up close to the action!!
    Yes, that was done by Upper Peninsula Power Company (UPPCO).

Can you guess where this is?IMG_20191010_121218838.jpg
    Unless I’ve been away far too long, that’s the iconic view of the (click →) Wikedypedia: Lake of the Clouds, from the Lake of the Clouds Overlook at the west terminus of the former Michigan Highway M-107 in the Porcupine Mountains.

Eastern UP colors are top shelf this year also
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...sn=mo&d=n&vh=e

Default More about Bond Falls and UPPCO (circa 2002-2009).

More about Bond Falls and UPPCO (circa 2002-2009); It took a bit of searching to find this citation:

UPPCO sold its “non-project lands” around these reservoirs in December, 2005 to Naterra Land, a Minnesota-based Realty firm. Naterra then quickly announced plans to subdivide the non-project lands into lots for hundreds of residential homes. The SMP proposal outlined UPPCO’s plans to develop the FERC project lands closest to the reservoirs by building lighted docks, paths from the homes to the water, marina facilities, and other amenities primarily designed to benefit the adjacent homeowners.

In 2009 UPPCO bought back substantial acreage from Naterra to settle a breach of contract lawsuit in which the latter company alleged UPPCO had not provided accurate information about easements, pier placements, and future dam repairs.

See (click →) UP Environment, (the quarterly newsletter of the …
    (click →) Upper Peninsula Environmental Coalition)
    FALL 2011, quoted here in part:
    UPPCO withdraws shoreline management plans for Bond Falls, Prickett & Boney Falls
    By Robert Evans

The Upper Peninsula Power Company (UPPCO, an Integrys Energy Group subsidiary) recently withdrew its proposed Shoreline Management Plans (SMPs) nearly four years after submitting them to the Federal Energy Regulatory Com-mission (FERC). The SMPs involved UPPCO’s hydroelectric project lands surrounding reservoirs on the Ontonagon, Sturgeon, and Escanaba Rivers.In its July 25 letter to the FERC secretary, UPPCO requested that the SMPs be withdrawn “because the plans are no longer pertinent to our current business model for excess lands.” There was no press release from UPPCO about the SMP withdrawal, nor is there any information about it posted on UPPCO’s website.FERC’s acceptance of the SMPs would have allowed infrastructure developments on environmentally sensitive project lands that could have enhanced and added financial value to potential residential developments on non-project lands that are outside of FERC regulation. If each reservoir is visualized as the inner-most of three concentric circles, the project lands are the next circle starting at the shoreline, and the non-project lands are the outermost circle.

Clear FERC ruling would have been helpful for preventing future shoreline threats
    Reservoirs. . . . . . . . . . . .Continued from Page 1

UPPCO’s withdrawal of its SMPs hopefully concludes an ordeal that began in 2002 when it announced an “asset management strategy” for its Upper Peninsula lands. In that strategy, lands “not needed for hydroelectric boundaries that lay outside project boundaries” would be targeted for sale. For most of its hydroelectric projects, including these three, UPPCO-owned lands near the reservoirs included a mix of both project and non-project lands. FERC requires that project lands be managed to provide both public benefits (such as recreation) as well as habitat for wildlife, in exchange for allowing the utility to utilize a public water resource to produce hydroelectric power.

UPPCO sold its “non-project lands” around these reservoirs in December, 2005 to Naterra Land, a Minnesota-based Realty firm. Naterra then quickly announced plans to subdivide the non-project lands into lots for hundreds of residential homes. The SMP proposal outlined UPPCO’s plans to develop the FERC project lands closest to the reservoirs by building lighted docks, paths from the homes to the water, marina facilities, and other amenities primarily designed to benefit the adjacent homeowners. In 2009 UPPCO bought back substantial acreage from Naterra to settle a breach of contract lawsuit in which the latter company alleged UPPCO had not provided accurate information about easements, pier placements, and future dam repairs.

UPPCO’s proposal to FERC to develop the project lands met with immediate and strong opposition from a coalition of natural resource agencies (U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agency, Michigan DNR) as well as environmental organizations such as the Michigan Hydro Relicensing Coalition, Upper Peninsula Public Access Coalition, the Northwoods Alliance, the Friends of the Land of Keweenaw, and UPEC. These agencies and organizations urged FERC to reject the SMPs on the grounds that UPPCO’s proposed land development was inconsistent with FERC license requirements that project lands be managed to benefit the public and natural resources such as wildlife, including threatened and endangered species.

Although UPPCO withdrew its SMPs, FERC never rejected them. Without a FERC ruling, we don’t know at this point whether arguments put forth by the resource agencies and environmental organizations would have persuaded FERC to kill UPPCO’s ill-advised plans to profit from developing land intended for public benefit and natural resource protection.For the time being, however, UPPCO’s decision represents good news for the environment and good news for anyone who believes that a utility that profits from public resources (water, in this case) must abide by the terms of its regulatory license.

Calm and colorful morning at Lac La Belle.
    024.jpg014.jpg019.jpg008.jpg007.jpg001.jpg

Default Foliage Network's Midwest report for Thursday, October 17

From (click →) The Foliage Network! | Foliage Reports, as of late Thursday (October 17, 2019)

For much of Wisconsin north of a line from ≈LaCrosse through ≈Green Bay and all of the UP, the color was finally reported at Full Peak today, with just a small section of Wisconsin's Northern Highlands now Past Peak.

Pretty much all of the same area is now showing Leaf Drop as Moderate, with with the same small section of Wisconsin's Northern Highlands now with High Leaf Drop.

I hope we'll see stunning photos posted here of this Peak Color in the few remaining days before the show is all over for the year.
    10172019_lc.gif

10172019_ld.gif