Thread: Tesla

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

Default Tesla

Anybody got one?

Really nice car and a great power band nice and smooth

I do not but a good friend has one and he loves it.

Have been reading about them lately. They are finally selling new ones for under $40,000. The bottom is falling out of the used luxury market. People are trading off their high end German cars like Beemers and Audis for Model 3 Teslas. They are supposed to have a Tesla Supercharger installed north of me in Pembina ND by the end of the year. North of me 90 miles is Winnipeg MB where 1 million people live. Got to believe there are a few of them up there. I am toying with the idea of installing a set of level 2 chargers here at my store. Maybe get ahead of the curve for once.

Great band .....have bunch of their CD's.

How are they going to charge them in California with no power?

In all honesty, the electric vehicles really do intrigue me. Currently the cost, range, and capabilities wouldn't outweigh any benefits I would see.

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Have been reading about them lately. They are finally selling new ones for under $40,000. The bottom is falling out of the used luxury market. People are trading off their high end German cars like Beemers and Audis for Model 3 Teslas. They are supposed to have a Tesla Supercharger installed north of me in Pembina ND by the end of the year. North of me 90 miles is Winnipeg MB where 1 million people live. Got to believe there are a few of them up there. I am toying with the idea of installing a set of level 2 chargers here at my store. Maybe get ahead of the curve for once.
    I would say you probably have answered your question right there, but not sure what type of investment it takes. The cars have access to a map that tells them where the nearest charger is. If you can get it registered or whatever with that, then you probably will see more business.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogg View Post
    How are they going to charge them in California with no power?

In all honesty, the electric vehicles really do intrigue me. Currently the cost, range, and capabilities wouldn't outweigh any benefits I would see.
    It is the falling costs of the initial purchase plus the increase in number of charging facilities that will make EVs take off. Once there is a vast and reliable charging network there will be no reason not to have one. They handle better than most other cars simply because the center of gravity is so much lower. They will soon be cheaper to produce just because there are so many less parts. No cooling system. No fuel system. No exhaust system. No differentials. No transmission. The biggest single cost right now is the battery. It is said that the battery in a Tesla costs $13000 all by itself. Just what I read. And the battery technology is getting better nearly every day. I do know that my local Ford Dealer whom I am good buds with is dreading the coming electric revolution. There will be very little maintenence items on EVs. No oil changes etc. There are about 150 moving parts on a Tesla. There are several thousand on a current car.
    Last edited by grub; 10-09-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Here's what I think of evs....diesel-generator-ev-charger-m.jpg

So what is that.

Diesel powered charging station. Lol

funny !!

People are definitely not dumping high end German cars in large numbers for these sub 40K Tesla where I live. **** if that was the case then Tesla would be profitable which certainly is not the case.

Here ya go. Who's going to be the first to get one?

https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/

Quote Originally Posted by goingnorth View Post
    Here ya go. Who's going to be the first to get one?

https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/
    And now the EV snow machine event begins. There are other mfr's in the not to distant future. grub, this may be your real calling, eh? Then, perhaps this is what Yamaha was waiting so long for? For sure it would for sure be a "all new Yamaha"!

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Here's what I think of evs....diesel-generator-ev-charger-m.jpg
    THAT is the dirty little secret to EV cars - you still need something to create the electricity!!

Mostly it a coal fired generating station. Hardly green at all. Makes the tree hugging, climate changing, fear mongering libtards all warm and fuzzy though.

Quote Originally Posted by garageguy View Post
    Mostly it a coal fired generating station. Hardly green at all. Makes the tree hugging, climate changing, fear mongering libtards all warm and fuzzy though.
    Don't get me wrong here, as I don't have a dog in this deal. However wind, and solar are expanding rapidly in my part of the country. You now can make more money solar farming, than you can raising row crops. And, this includes prime producing soils! This is coming from friends who have gotten into this solar farming, and another friend of mine who is a farmer, and sits on the county board/zoning committee. This tells me it will continue to expand. Much of the electricity here in this part of the mid west is now wind, and solar. Like it or not, so it is. Economics, the return on, and the term of the investment, will dictate what happens. It's always about the $$$$!

Yes, all the government subsidies have helped that along.

The efficiency now is to the point they don't have to rely on that part of the equation. This info reluctantly coming from my zoning committee friend. And if you look into the facts, all energy sources are richly subsidized. Monopolization ring a bell?

There are three basic groups of people that buy Teslas. The first group likes to buy anything new and different. The second group are the tree huggers that figure they are saving the world. The last and biggest group are people who have thoroughly researched ownership and logistics of owning and operating a first generation EV. This group buys the Tesla and is then pleasantly surprised to find out that it goes like a bat and handles and turns better than much more expensive cars. It is of course true that there were tax rebates in place. It is also true that they have to be charged using dirty power. That is not the point. It does not matter. It also does not matter if Tesla makes money or goes broke. The horse is out of the barn. In ten years or less it will be hard to buy a new non EV passenger vehicle. Car makers around the world are putting all their resources into EV passenger vehicles. Tesla is 5 years ahead of all the German mfgrs. Porsche just came out with the Taycan EV which costs a lot more than a model 3 Tesla and has less range and is no quicker. Ford's first all electric is 3 years away and it will also cost a lot more than a model 3. Tesla is supposed to release the model Y and a pickup before years end. If you are 65 or younger you will probably own an EV before you die. And you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

There are three basic groups of people that buy Teslas. The first group likes to buy anything new and different. The second group are the tree huggers that figure they are saving the world. The last and biggest group are people who have thoroughly researched ownership and logistics of owning and operating a first generation EV. This group buys the Tesla and is then pleasantly surprised to find out that it goes like a bat and handles and turns better than much more expensive cars. It is of course true that there were tax rebates in place. It is also true that they have to be charged using dirty power. That is not the point. It does not matter. It also does not matter if Tesla makes money or goes broke. The horse is out of the barn. In ten years or less it will be hard to buy a new non EV passenger vehicle. Car makers around the world are putting all their resources into EV passenger vehicles. Tesla is 5 years ahead of all the German mfgrs. Porsche just came out with the Taycan EV which costs a lot more than a model 3 Tesla and has less range and is no quicker. Ford's first all electric is 3 years away and it will also cost a lot more than a model 3. Tesla is supposed to release the model Y and a pickup before years end. If you are 65 or younger you will probably own an EV before you die. And you will probably be pleasantly surprised.
    I agree 100% with grub. It's here, whether who ever likes it, or not. EV's will take over the motive markets of all kinds, from cars to heavy duty trucks, to heavy industrial/construction equipment.
    Last edited by old abe; 10-10-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Including the Tesla itself, to the tune of about 10 grand a vehicle. So I guess we all own a part of one.

not goona happen..anybody that drives major miles like me need gas..i couldnt even imagine chasing charging stations

Remember "back in the day" when Carroll Shelby made the hundred dollar bet????? Tesla acceleration makes that feel like childs' play. The
    g force on full throttle is just nuts. Is EV the up and coming thing???? Harley-Davidson now markets the Livewire an all electric. My new play toy is a peddle assist fat tire. Battery technology is improving daily and will play a huge role in the development of EV everything.

Im not ripping on Tesla first of all......

But Tesla isnt a well established vehicle maker. And according to the internet, it shows.
    Tesla doesnt have the money to compete with the big manufacturers. If Toyota, or VW decide to seriously go ALL IN, they will wipe Tesla out. They have the resources to become an auto maker that produces quality EV's. Tesla is a company trying to become an automaker. They have been very behind on their promises. And their cars dont have a great track record.

But it is exciting times for autos.

Quote Originally Posted by old abe View Post
    Don't get me wrong here, as I don't have a dog in this deal. However wind, and solar are expanding rapidly in my part of the country. You now can make more money solar farming, than you can raising row crops. And, this includes prime producing soils! This is coming from friends who have gotten into this solar farming, and another friend of mine who is a farmer, and sits on the county board/zoning committee. This tells me it will continue to expand. Much of the electricity here in this part of the mid west is now wind, and solar. Like it or not, so it is. Economics, the return on, and the term of the investment, will dictate what happens. It's always about the $$$$!
    You hit the nail on the head Abe! Where we are now we have 40 acres in a township that is currently in development for a six-year plan to install the first major wind farm in Eau Claire County Wisconsin. Phase 2 14 years down the road if all proceeds the way they plan will put them on our main farming area. Wind Farm 1 means one wind turbine. Wind Farm 2 could be up to 10, and to be honest the way things are going in farming we're not about to say no. No plans to give up my diesel truck or my sleds.

BTW I'd love to see Tesla make an EV tractor that farmers can actually afford to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardPlayHrd View Post
    You hit the nail on the head Abe! Where we are now we have 40 acres in a township that is currently in development for a six-year plan to install the first major wind farm in Eau Claire County Wisconsin. Phase 2 14 years down the road if all proceeds the way they plan will put them on our main farming area. Wind Farm 1 means one wind turbine. Wind Farm 2 could be up to 10, and to be honest the way things are going in farming we're not about to say no. No plans to give up my diesel truck or my sleds.

BTW I'd love to see Tesla make an EV tractor that farmers can actually afford to buy.
    You got it WHPH, my father told me years age, there is one way you can change a farmers mind. It's called the need for money! My county has some of the absolute best/richest soils to raise huge yields of corn, and soybeans. Some of this "prime" ground won zoning approval for solar farming! Lets face the facts, the economics of solar farming are far better than raising corn and soybeans with today's input costs, and poor returns. It is what it is. The farmer owns the ground, and should have the right to do with it what he prefers with it as long as he does no harm in any way to others by doing so. The fact remains NGas put "coal" out of business, nothing else. This being done by several economic reasons, transportation as in piped right to location of use, cleaner emissions, and just plain cheaper energy. You won't have wait long on a EV tractor. Many mfr's coming soon with diesel/electric drive hybrid. Full EV should not be far behind. Been running pivots with electric propulsion for 50 years. Electric control technology is absolutely endless. As in today's high tech planters, combines, tiling, construction equipment, forestry, and so on. It's here.

Quote Originally Posted by GTL View Post
    Remember "back in the day" when Carroll Shelby made the hundred dollar bet????? Tesla acceleration makes that feel like childs' play. The
    g force on full throttle is just nuts. Is EV the up and coming thing???? Harley-Davidson now markets the Livewire an all electric. My new play toy is a peddle assist fat tire. Battery technology is improving daily and will play a huge role in the development of EV everything.
    Pedal assist??? Thats cheating! J/K but it is funny seeing that battle right now in the mountain biking community. Some trails will allow pedal assist and others fight them. Here in Duluth the trails are strictly non-motorized and theres plenty of arguments both ways but the city has said non-motorized right now. Anything that allows people to get out on the trails is fine with me!

Love that band. Going to Goo Goo Dolls in Madison at Orpheum. Way off topic but I'll be bringing the Dodge Omni to the show. Chicks that it attracts may be not as well dressed, but it's ok because my high end sweat pants don't always attract women with all their teeth. So it's a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
    Love that band. Going to Goo Goo Dolls in Madison at Orpheum. Way off topic but I'll be bringing the Dodge Omni to the show. Chicks that it attracts may be not as well dressed, but it's ok because my high end sweat pants don't always attract women with all their teeth. So it's a wash.

One thing for certain is that the farmer knows where his subsidies are available. Welfare nothing more.

Well.. lets start with some facts. Pound for pound gasoline still has 9 times the power density of the best lithium ion batteries out there. If a quarter of all cars sold were electric the grid would fail and there wouldn't be enough generation to support it. No buddy wants a generating station in there back yard. Nuclear is frowned upon. Your are left with fossil fuels. Solar and wind account for a small but growing percentage of power production.
    Alternative sources of power are great and battery technology steadily improves. But for electric vehicles to actually replace gas ones for most things is still a ways off.
    I do have battery powered things and they are great for the right application. I've got a battery leaf blower very nice. A battery snow blower not so much and a batt. Scooter for running around town. If you think a battery powered farm tractor will plow more than two rows good luck with that. Maybe 15 years from now.

That’s kind of the point, battery power is the future. We can generate unlimited power, Thats the easy part, storing power is the hard part. Any engineer worth their money will tell you they can figure it out, and they will. It’s only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post
    One thing for certain is that the farmer knows where his subsidies are available. Welfare nothing more.
    Oh yeah! The most wealthy handout welfare program per capita! Socialism! It's now geared to enrich the largest farmers so as to squeeze the smaller out.

"Modern Day Cowboy" "Little Suzi" and "EZ Come EZ Go" are some of the best Tesla productions.

Ok boys I could go on forever but all these wind and solar feel good projects are only slightly profitable is because of the subsidy. So if we are gonna subsidize why hasn't any one mentioned hydrogen? You get the power of diesel and the by product is water. Why doesn't anyone talk about that?????

Quote Originally Posted by stitcher View Post
    saw the GOO last year in minne..great band..20 years already..can u believe that

700 HP. ability to tow 10,000 lbs. Yea I Like
    Go Rivian

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Ok boys I could go on forever but all these wind and solar feel good projects are only slightly profitable is because of the subsidy. So if we are gonna subsidize why hasn't any one mentioned hydrogen? You get the power of diesel and the by product is water. Why doesn't anyone talk about that?????
    I agree with you on the hydrogen all the way slimcake. Seems like 20+ years ago that was what all the energy talk was about? However on the wind, and solar subsidies, that is a small part of the equation down here now.

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    THAT is the dirty little secret to EV cars - you still need something to create the electricity!!
    yep

and it will be a long time before EV takes over gas cars

Quote Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
    sounds like a "love song" for sure but ultimately it's "what you give"

m8man
    ahh, watch this..

Quote Originally Posted by sweeperguy View Post
    700 HP. ability to tow 10,000 lbs. Yea I Like
    Go Rivian
    My 6.0 2500 hd loses 5 miles per gallon towing the inline.....
    I wonder what towing a 4500# payload of sleds will do to that claimed 400 mile range?
    But it being a truck you could carry a generator in the bed.....LOL
    Last edited by snobuilder; 10-14-2019 at 09:04 AM.

My 6.0 2500 hd loses 5 miles per gallon towing the inline.....
    I wonder what towing a 4500# payload of sleds will do to that claimed 400 mile range?
    But it being a truck you could carry a generator in the bed.....LOL
    Ahhh, ehhhh, Is snobuilder softening?

The practical issues I see with EV towing are: what would it take to go 700+ miles? Today I will stop and fill up many times waiting to get to the diesel pump. How would it be charging? Half hour, hour wait to plug in then how long to charge?
    Camp is off the grid so charging will be a challenge. Best bring allot of fuel to run a generator with battery tender ��. As I have learned from RVs and lithium batteries, they don’t charge if below zero, so park the truck inside to charge? Don’t they have a BMS that limit the life expectancy to a certain number of charges?
    The thing I keep getting hung up on is what is the real carbon footprint for EVs is when you consider all aspects to manufacture and maintain them?
    From what I understand, hydrogen really truly brings it as close to a zero carbon footprint.

Overpriced junk.

Ohh boy......even NASCAR is going green.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/n...brid-cars-2022

for me part of the draw of going to track to watch nascar was the smell and sounds of the track

The ROAR of those engines is phenomenally loud! To me, that's a big part of what makes racing exciting. I'm sure the hybrids will still be loud, but electric? NOT! NASCAR would turn into a paved version of the PGA, Shhhhhh, I can't hear the cars!-Mezz

Quote Originally Posted by mezz View Post
    The ROAR of those engines is phenomenally loud! To me, that's a big part of what makes racing exciting. I'm sure the hybrids will still be loud, but electric? NOT! NASCAR would turn into a paved version of the PGA, Shhhhhh, I can't hear the cars!-Mezz
    LOL that was funny stuff. Can you imagine, shhhhhh if you listen you can hear the "hummm" of the electric engine....instead of having a team worker run out with a gas can, they could run out with an electric meter to test how the circuits are working. maybe even a quick swap of 15 batteries...and a cleaning of the solar panels on the roof...

m8man
    ahh, watch this..