Neenah, Wisconsin. About 30 minutes south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Default the John Dee Roll Call

The last time we had a roll call of current members was 2012 and I'm thinking maybe we should update. I've included a link to the old thread and it's interesting to see the many members that still post and the many that have gone on to other things. You can read the old thread by clicking this link; http://forum.johndee.com/vbulletin/s...ht=riding+year

I'll get things rolling for 2019 by saying you already know my name and town. Neenah, Wisconsin is part of the Fox Cities metro on the western shore of Lake Winnebago. Neenah was the birthplace of the Kimberly Clark Corporation. We also have a foundry that makes all those Man Hole covers you see just about anywhere in the world. Oshkosh Truck is next door in Oshkosh making some awesome machines for the military. Appleton to our north has one of the largest retail malls in the state along with Appleton International Airport.

I was fortunate to retire early but I still go to work everyday, it just doesn't happen to be a part of the Rat Race that got me here. I've been snowmobiling since Arctic Cat had Leopard Print seats on their Panthers. So ya, I'm one of the Older Dogs on here. In the summer I ride a Can Am Spyder, in the winter you'll find me on Ski Doo's Blizzard. My wife and I both enjoy travel when we have the time, past trips have included Gettysburg, Washington D.C. and Boston, Mass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9vm_nYe8rU

Let's see who else we have from John Dee.com
    Last edited by gary_in_neenah; 10-12-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Well, Kelly back here for a second go-around on this topic. Reading the old thread, some things have changed, some haven’t.

After retirement, we moved back to our old home town in northern MN about three years ago (something my wife and I said we would never do). There are some benefits though, we live in the country now and I can ride out of the front yard. Plus, it puts us less than an hour away from a little place we have on the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods where we spend almost all of the non-frozen water months chasing the wily Walleye.

Like Gary, I took up a new occupation and now work a couple of days a week at a local hardware store, which is like a dream job for me. I get paid to solve customer hardware problems, cut glass/plexiglass, sharpen chainsaws and skates, cut keys, mix paint, fix screens, cut/thread pipe and so on.

One thing that hasn’t changed is that I’m still re-living my younger years with the vintage sled restoration stuff. Figure I have enough projects to last me until I’m about a hundred at the rate I’m going.

Really enjoyed my past mountain riding trips and would like to make just one more but maybe the mind is more willing than the body.

Old Switch here still breathing and taking nourishment. Our snow riding days are over now unless I get the itch and my son-in-law will fix me up with a ride from his dealership. I guess you would call me semi retired as I still travel for my company, PCMC in Green Bay. Only thing is now I travel in comfort with our Winnebago Tour Class A motorhome. So I spend most of my winter south of the Mason Dixon line where it’s nice and warm. Summer time will find us back at our place in Door county entertaining the grandchildren and running around in our Yamaha Viking UTV. It’s nice to take the coach up north to ride the same trails we road in the winter months for all those years, only warmer now. Wendy and I are looking forward to me pulling the pin for good next year and really taste the freedom that an RV lifestyle brings. I still hang out here on JD and follow the adventures that everyone shares and I think back to all the good times I’ve had on a sled. I do still own a sled, but she lives in Eagle River in the museum, a 1969 Ski Doo 12-3 fully restored. Stop in and say hi to her sometime! Keep the rubber side down my friends, ride safe!

I'm Steven Mitchell, 55 live in Oakdale Mn. Born and raised in Sault Ste. Marie Mi. I've been riding since 1971. Learned on my Grandpa's 69 Scorpion Mark II (it was my Dad's when new, he sold it to his Dad so he could go to welding school). I've got a 69 Scorpion now 19420730_10206988887240434_6581954174759576053_n.jpg
    I got my snowmobile safety certificate a year early, at 11 not 12. I was born Dec of 63, in Jan of 75 there was a snowmobile safety class, I bagged my Dad to let me take it. (wanted to ride with friends not just with him) He said we'll try, if they let you in fine, if not you'll have to wait till next year. 20190923_175545.jpg GOT IT!
    The following Christmas (my birthday also) my Dad got me a 72 AC Lynx. I have this one now bf686bba-2f12-4dbf-b7c4-ae59603babfc_zpsc6mssyxw.png
    I'm a union equipment operator for a major ashpalt company. So i have winters off to snowmobile as much as I want, or can afford. I operate an Elgin street sweeper, hence the user name sweeperguy.FB_IMG_1557862314674.jpg
    I have a small enclosed trailer that is fully insulated (including the floor is spray foamed underneath). I have it wired for lights and several outlets. I run a generator and heat it with a 1500 watt electric heater.
    Saves me thousands of dollars in hotel bills. No planning hassles of needing reservations somewhere, I can just up and go at a drop of a hat. If not enough snow at original destination, just keep driving till snow is deep enough, find somewhere to park. Walmart's are usually a good spot to set up camp. A lot of them are on trails, and they allow overnight camping in their lots. They actually publish a road atlas, for RV'ers, that show all Walmart locations. To encourage you to stop there overnight and spend money there.1508700317534.jpg20190801_194839.jpg
    My boss at the last company I worked for, (only sweeping company, not asphalt, but we swept for a lot of asphalt companies). Turned me on to Johndee around 2014, after coming up bust (for snow cover) on a sled trip. He said it was the best site for accurate snow depth.
    Very much enjoy this site. Glad I'm on board, most likely will be for MANY years.

The one and only Modman440 checkin in nothing changed really father to 4 beautiful kids. Building mod sleds and living life. Based outta fort wayne IN with a northwoods cabin in Trout Lake MI.

MOD

Sweeperguy, I just bought the same trailer. Any reason why that board in front doesn't go all the way across? I can't figure it out.

Im Brian Lehman, I live in Waterford Wi, I have been snowmobiling since the late 70's I own an outdoor power equipment business, about the only riding I get is a week un the U.P. I like to pile up the miles in that time. I enjoy trolling on lake Michigan, did some tournament fishing on lake Michigan until I opened up my own shop (pretty much put kabosh on fun things for a while) I have a seasonal trailer in Sheboygan Wisconsin. I have one son 21 years of age who I started taking snowmobiling when he was 4 and has grown to love the sport as much as I do. Im 46 years of age and don't plan on quitting until either I wake up in a pine box or my body just wont allow me to enjoy the sport any more. " we don't stop playing because we get old.... we get old because we stop playing"

My name is Meester Bleezard, I am now 58 yrs. old & even though I did not take part in the previous roll call, I am still here (miraculously), just not on the sled anymore. After 34 years of pounding the backwoods of the Keweenaw, I was forced to stop due to a DVT clot in my right leg in 2016. Been on this site since 1999 & still enjoy it & the people that partake in it. I am not a social media guy, this is the one & only site I care to be on, there are no others like this. Thank you to John & all of you for visiting here & sharing. -Mezz

Quote Originally Posted by blkhwkbob View Post
    Sweeperguy, I just bought the same trailer. Any reason why that board in front doesn't go all the way across? I can't figure it out.

My only guess would be so they save $1.53 on the build. If one ski hits it the other won't touch the skin, unless your highballing into the trailer.
    I thought it was messed up too.

Names Brad. Born in the mid 60s. Been snowmobiling on and off for decades. Have had several Polaris 700 and 800 sleds Took a decade off, then jumped back in with a few 4 strokes. Yamaha Apex'. I enjoy cleaner smelling clothes and the longer engine lives. Yeah yeah..they are heavy blah blah blah. I ain't carrying them around on my back...
    They are a blast and plenty fast.

I also just switched to 4 stroke dirt bikes. Currently I have a 2018 YZ250FX as well as a 2008 WR250X sm.
    Looking to get a few more good rides in before deer season starts.

I have been a lifelong motorcyclist and got my endorsement immediately after turning 16.
    I have ridden over 300,000 miles to date, including countless laps around Road America, BIR, Laguna Seca and other race tracks around the country.

I have been a machinist since the early 80s, and have been with the same medical device manufacturer now for 32 years. Most of it as a CNC machinist but have been a supervisor for the last 4.

Andy here. Been a member for quite some time. Born in the 80's, own a few sleds (older) and spend my days working and with my twin boys and wife.

Wow, read part of old thread. Amazing how many have come and gone. Good times.
    My name is Guy and Gary's neighbor to north. Lol
    Didn't start sledding til I was 23, when I walked in dealership bought a new sled and trailer. That was 1996. Hooked ever since. Think it was 1999 when I joined the site and can't thank John enough for introducing me to UP!!!

good thread....Name is Eric, live in Oglesby, Il and I am an Instructor of Environmental Biology at a small college. Been into snowmobiling since I was young but my parents sold their sleds when I was 5 due to my fathers back issues. Always wanted to get one when I was younger but couldn't afford one. Had to wait til I was out of graduate school and finally make some money to pick up my first sled, still remember unloading it. I am on my 3rd sled currently (2017 Polaris Assault) and looking for a newer Assault. I have three boys (15, 14 and 12) who enjoy sledding also. We live in Hayward, WI for about 7 weeks during the summer, although summer baseball is getting into the way a little bit. We own a cabin up in Hayward that my grandfather purchased 72 years ago. I have always loved the Northwoods and love the fact my boys get to spend a lot of time up north also. I enjoy reading johndee and can't wait for the sledding season to start! Think Snow!

Name's Bob, been around since at least 2009(I think), hardly ever post, just lurk & check the site all fall/winter & about 1x a month in the summer.

Started snowmobiling around 1976, when I got to ride an old Johnson brand snowmobile that my brother-in-law had. Would ride that thing all over his land all day & refill the gas tank 3-4 times! I was hooked & have been riding on & off ever since.

Currently living in Central Illinois by Springfield, but lived out in Idaho for around 4yrs, so I got to ride all over out west. Got all 3 of my girls hooked when they were younger.

Riding a 2016 Renegade X 1200 4tec that I just bought off a guy this summer. 51yrs old & will be working until 64 or so
    Usually make 2-3 trips a season to Northern WI. (Mercer area) & up to Bessemer, MI. as well.

Can't say enough great things about this site. Seems like I learn something new every time I log on!

Quote Originally Posted by sweeperguy View Post
    I'm Steven Mitchell, 55 live in Oakdale Mn. Born and raised in Sault Ste. Marie Mi. I've been riding since 1971. Learned on my Grandpa's 69 Scorpion Mark II (it was my Dad's when new, he sold it to his Dad so he could go to welding school). I've got a 69 Scorpion now 19420730_10206988887240434_6581954174759576053_n.jpg
    I got my snowmobile safety certificate a year early, at 11 not 12. I was born Dec of 63, in Jan of 75 there was a snowmobile safety class, I bagged my Dad to let me take it. (wanted to ride with friends not just with him) He said we'll try, if they let you in fine, if not you'll have to wait till next year. 20190923_175545.jpg GOT IT!
    The following Christmas (my birthday also) my Dad got me a 72 AC Lynx. I have this one now bf686bba-2f12-4dbf-b7c4-ae59603babfc_zpsc6mssyxw.png
    I'm a union equipment operator for a major ashpalt company. So i have winters off to snowmobile as much as I want, or can afford. I operate an Elgin street sweeper, hence the user name sweeperguy.FB_IMG_1557862314674.jpg
    I have a small enclosed trailer that is fully insulated (including the floor is spray foamed underneath). I have it wired for lights and several outlets. I run a generator and heat it with a 1500 watt electric heater.
    Saves me thousands of dollars in hotel bills. No planning hassles of needing reservations somewhere, I can just up and go at a drop of a hat. If not enough snow at original destination, just keep driving till snow is deep enough, find somewhere to park. Walmart's are usually a good spot to set up camp. A lot of them are on trails, and they allow overnight camping in their lots. They actually publish a road atlas, for RV'ers, that show all Walmart locations. To encourage you to stop there overnight and spend money there.1508700317534.jpg20190801_194839.jpg
    My boss at the last company I worked for, (only sweeping company, not asphalt, but we swept for a lot of asphalt companies). Turned me on to Johndee around 2014, after coming up bust (for snow cover) on a sled trip. He said it was the best site for accurate snow depth.
    Very much enjoy this site. Glad I'm on board, most likely will be for MANY years.
    Is that a TC167? LOVE MINE! So easy to pull!!!!

I am Randy (member since 2010, but non member since early 2000's) from Farmington, MN, but born and raised in Tomahawk, WI Born in the late 60's and have been sledding since a teen, but hit it more seriously in 1998. A late bloomer. Lover riding in the U.P. Started by always going to the Porcupine Mountains, Watersmeet, and other areas in the lower U.P. Now we start in Twin Lakes or further north. Love White Pine Motel when I get up that way. Have a few buds that have a place in Painesdale where we stay occasionally too. I was introduced to the U.P. by a fellow rider. Never went up that way, even though I lived in Tomahawk when I was young. Amazed at the amount of snow they got. Been there so many times now! Used to be more off trail than on, but now the body is falling apart and its about 40/60 now. LOL!! Been a Doo guy, upgrading every 3 years to another overpriced machine! But love it! Currently have a 2018 850 Renegade Back Country with 1.75 on it. Still need to be trail friendly for me when I ride south of the U.P. I once had a Mountain Grand touring!!!! I ride with my wife a lot. But she wont drive and I thought if I put a paddle track on it, it would be great when on my own!!! NOT! That one lasted 2 years though. Rode with a friend of mine from Lake Linden that I rode with, that came up with that name after staring at it, scratching his had and saying: ***???? Had 8" riser bar and hand guards too!!! LMAO. Now, on each one up I get, I have to purchase a conversion seat and make it a 2up when the little lady comes along. They make it so easy now a days, you can do it in 40 seconds.

My name is Jim. Live in the Cedar Rapids, IA area. Took up this great sport about 13 years ago. First sled back then was a '96 Jag 440. Needless to say I looked like a big guy on a little sled but hey it got me started. Used to base out of Boulder Junction, WI area but then one low snow year we ventured north to the UP & have never looked back. Why not drive another hour for 125-150 more inches of snow. I currently own a 2018 Freeride 137 but have owned many Polaris sleds over the years in addition to a couple of Arctic Cats. My wife loves to ride as much as I do & my Dad, who is soon to be 75 years old, also rides. Lucky for me my folks bought a house in the UP last year so it has been really nice to leave sleds & gear up north instead of hauling everything every trip. We love the UP & all it has to offer. Finally, thanks to John Dee for providing such a great site!

Matt here, been a member since 1999 when i bought my First Brand New Sled and headed North for the First time. Been coming up every year at least 3-4 times, Love it in the Northwoods, beats the Burbs of CHI any day.
    First sled was a 1960's John Deere that me and my brothers used to pull each other around the house with our Old Wooden sleds, seemed like we did that all day every day when we had snow, only way to keep us out of trouble or fighting! From there we moved up to early 70's Artic Cats, had a couple 70 Poo's and then went to new in 1999 with the Indy 500, Been a Poo guy ever since until last year when i started purchasing early 1990 Yamaha Phazer II's and a Sno Sport. Love the early 90's Yammy's. Currently have 6 sleds, (2) 1991 Phazer II's, both red and white but each one is opposite each other, red hood on one, white hood on the other both MINT, (1) 1990 Sno SPort. 1986 Kitty Kat and 1996 Kitty Kat and finally 2001 Polaris 600 XCSP.
    Love the Sport and hope to spend many more weekends up North

312E9DCE-419D-4167-BDF9-148CF7F0B662.jpgScott Hennessey here-
    I was Scotticat many many years ago on here till I bought and RMK and then switched my name to Scottiking
    i have had 4 cats since switching names but never went back to Scotticat!
    i ride a 2019 Alphafa currently!

I had a NCN cam at the Shack across the street from Krupps resort and shared the cam page with Krupps for that cam and then a little under a year ago we bought a camp on lake Roland just about a city block away from the Shack!
    i call that the Lakeshack and moved the cam over to there about Christmas of last year!
    i kept the shack for rental property bust since I live in Woodbury MN is was hard for me to be far away and I ended up selling the shack and that closing is this Friday so I will be down to one camp again!
    So if you go to the NCN cams you will notice the change in the sponsored name!
    i have the same 6 snowman and the 10 snow stick on the cam but the back drop is of Lake Roland!
    I plan to put the snow stick out this weekend so watch for that!

Scottiking OUT

Quote Originally Posted by 600_RMK_144 View Post
    Is that a TC167? LOVE MINE! So easy to pull!!!!
    Yes it is. Yea pulls nice. I've got a small truck, Ford Explorer Sport Trac. That's one reason I went with it. Have had it 3 years now, very happy with it.

Dean here. Youngest one by a couple decades (23). My dad is on here, and got me into sledding as a little kid. Grew up in Chicago burbs with a lake place over the border in Twin Lakes. Kept 3 sleds there and ride that area, as well as up north in Vilas county. Packed up and headed for engineering school at the University of Minnesota in 2014. Fell in love with the state, and made it my new home last year. I am a manufacturing engineer now doing CNC and assembly production. Joined a club in the north metro which has allowed me to get involved in trail work as well as meet people to ride with. I love sledding and try to share my passion with anyone else I can.

Quote Originally Posted by SledTL View Post
    Dean here. Youngest one by a couple decades (23). My dad is on here, and got me into sledding as a little kid. Grew up in Chicago burbs with a lake place over the border in Twin Lakes. Kept 3 sleds there and ride that area, as well as up north in Vilas county. Packed up and headed for engineering school at the University of Minnesota in 2014. Fell in love with the state, and made it my new home last year. I am a manufacturing engineer now doing CNC and assembly production. Joined a club in the north metro which has allowed me to get involved in trail work as well as meet people to ride with. I love sledding and try to share my passion with anyone else I can.
    Curious, who your Dad is?
    Last edited by sweeperguy; 10-16-2019 at 09:22 PM.

I’m still here! Browse the forum daily just don’t post as much as I used to. I started posting on here January of 08 I believe when I was 12 years old. Currently 24 and live in Hortonville WI. Many remember my many many posts back in the day from my crazy contraptions I’ve built to my drive in drive out sled shed. Time sure has flown by as I am now a journeyman CNC Machinist in the Appleton area. Used to put crazy amounts of miles on trail riding to go with my crazy amount of posts back in the day, about 6 or 7 years ago switched to backcountry riding. Rode the UP backcountry literally every weekend with a dozen plus trips up there a year for about 4 or 5 years straight but have now slowed down. Currently own my 16 Polaris Pro RMK 800 155” with Raptor shocks that I snowchecked almost half a decade ago now-crazy!, an 04 Polaris Pro X2 600, an 03 Polaris Pro X 600 that I’m looking to ditch for a 2up, and a 02 Polaris XC 120. I now spend almost all my spare time with my girlfriends son whom I’ve been his father figure now for a couple years which slowed down my sledding trips but was lucky enough to get him into the sport. He is 6 almost 7, I coached his tball team and now flag football team which is almost over before we go into sledding mode for winter, he’s definitely excited as he spent at least an hour every day on his 120 last winter if there was snow on the ground. It was fun getting to trail ride locally around home last winter with him as we had a very good winter and it was good timing to pick up a couple trail sleds. Hoping for another good winter around home and the UP! Love seeing all the JD veterans that have been here awhile. Can’t thank this site enough for introducing me to the UP, backcountry riding, and the countless JD members I’ve met and become good friends with.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeperguy View Post
    Curious, who your Dad is?
    Gkolar. Doesn't post as much as I do, usually only in southern Wisconsin conditions thread.

Hi all, been on this site since the late 90's. Do almost all of my riding on MN north shore with an occasional trip out west. Do mostly boondocking, but if the wife is along we'll at least stick to forest roads and stay away from the swamps and half open rivers. Started riding along with my parents in the early 70's in Burnett Cty, WI. my brother and I would do yard laps for hours on our mid 60's Polaris Colt. Moved on from sledding, went to college, and then got a job with Polaris. Got back into riding then in the mid 90's and have been hitting it hard ever since. Now I live near Duluth with my wife and 2 kids. Well, my daughter is now a freshman at UW (Go Bucky) and my son is a Sr in high school so we will be empty nesters soon. We have a cabin up near Finland, MN which is our home base for riding. My son is my favorite riding partner but I spend a lot more time digging him out than I should! He's a good rider but not as good as he thinks he is, but aren't we all? Other interests are mountain biking (which I hesitate to say but I find it as enjoyable as snowmobiling, hope none of my friends see this) hunting and camping. If anybody wants to come up and ride with us sometime just let me know, we'll try hard to show you a good time and lots of snow.

Jon, here. Seeing that I started this thread years ago, I guess I should chime in this time. I just turned 50. I don't post here anymore and only visit the site once in a while. I am a dump truck driver, but am currently doing odds and ends for my employer which has me running equipment such as loaders, backhoes, skid steers, dozers, etc. I have been riding my entire life. I have been a club member since I was 2 months old. I am a strong defender of clubs, groomer operators and landowners. Currently own 5 sleds, none of which are even close to new. We trail ride locally near Marathon City,WI. My wife enjoys short rides, my boys don't show a real lot of interest. My 13 year old is really into dirt bikes, so that is where his time and money is spent. I am a former AWSC Director, former Board of Director for my county snowmobile council, and I am the current President of my club. This season my club turns 50. We are having an open house anniversary celebration in Feb. which is open to everyone. Our club turning 50 is kinda special to me because my dad is the last founding member that is still a current member, and still very active in the club. My interest is snowmobiling is dwindling as the years go on, but I'll always own at least 1 sled. I recently purchased my first UTV. It's main purpose will be to plow snow, but I'm hoping to do some riding with my best friend, my wife. She is an amazing woman, but she'd have to be to put up with me. I still love visiting the UP, but will probably never ride a sled there ever again. Our visits now are when the snow is gone. The UP is just a little piece of heaven on earth.

Serious question --- Does anyone know what ever happened to PolarisRider1??? He had more posts than anyone else on this site. Hit a milestone of 10,000 Posts years ago. I have not seen him on here in a couple of years. He was very helpful helping figure out how to get out West, what to bring, etc.

Hi, I'm Mike and do most of my riding from my lake house in Eagle River (bet you couldn't guess that based on my screen name, lol) Do occasionally trailer up to UP and ride. I am a CPA, work in Chicago and live in the suburbs. Currently have 4 sleds for me and my family. My 2 kids enjoy the sport but my son is disabled so he rides on the back of the 2-up with me when he goes out riding. I am 55 and have been riding since I was 12. First sled was a 1973 Evinrude Bobcat SS. Wish I would have kept that sled. My group of riding buddies has been shrinking over the years and sometimes I go out and ride by myself. Luckily my gf is a Michigan girl and loves to ride. Also enjoy boating, waterskiing, ATV/UTVing and beer.

Serious question --- Does anyone know what ever happened to PolarisRider1??? He had more posts than anyone else on this site. Hit a milestone of 10,000 Posts years ago. I have not seen him on here in a couple of years. He was very helpful helping figure out how to get out West, what to bring, etc.
    He is still kicking.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Sure I'll chime in. I'm Kevin, 53, and I've been riding my entire life. My Dad was into sleds back in the 60's and early 70's, and I never really let go of that passion. I've ridden with a few of you over the years. Most memorable was a one day late April dumping with Troy (elf) and his crew on the north shore about 8-9 years ago. I was on a new to me '01 SKS 700, while those guys were riding circles around me on their RMK's in the 30+".

I usually put on between 4000-5000 miles a season. LOTS of time in Northern MN anywhere from Moose Lake to Grand Portage to I-Falls and Baudette to Virginia and everywhere in between. A fair amount in Northern WI, used to have a cabin in the Loretta area, and still have friends up there I try to ride with once a season. I go where the snow is, when ever it is there. I really enjoy doing the back pack trip (Though I never wear one!), usually taking at least one or two 10 day trips a season. You will find me up north on the trails pretty much every weekend. I have a wide variety of people I ride with, you have to if you are going to be on the sled every weekend! Not all can or want to get away like I do, so you have to have 'options'!

In recent years I've upgraded my rides to the Axys Switchbacks, as for me, they are a great trail ride. I'm on my 3rd in 4 years coming into this season. Yes, the sport has gotten expensive for me, but this is what I do. Currently belong to the Lakeville club south of the Twin Cities, and am an active board member. A few others from the club are on here also, we appreciate the weather John does, and the reports others give of their riding conditions!

Hoping for another excellent and safe year of riding!

[QUOTE=xcr440;482530]Sure I'll chime in. I'm Kevin, 53, and I've been riding my entire life. My Dad was into sleds back in the 60's and early 70's, and I never really let go of that passion. I've ridden with a few of you over the years. Most memorable was a one day late April dumping with Troy (elf) and his crew on the north shore about 8-9 years ago. I was on a new to me '01 SKS 700, while those guys were riding circles around me on their RMK's in the 30+".

Kevin, That was a memorable day. What I really remember about that day, not just us riding circles around you, is that leather suit you were wearing. That thing must've weighed 50 lbs by the end of the day as soaked as we all were. We'll have to meet up again someday!

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Kevin, That was a memorable day. What I really remember about that day, not just us riding circles around you, is that leather suit you were wearing. That thing must've weighed 50 lbs by the end of the day as soaked as we all were. We'll have to meet up again someday!
    You had to bring that up didn't you.... HAHA - I missed out on day two because it was SOAKED, that was the last time I wore that suit!!

Name is Dan and I am 54 been riding since 1970 . Working with Site One Landscapes store 227 in Ham Lake Mn , its a nationwide fert and irrigation company . I will only work summers to have winters off for riding . I also do a lot of vintage grass dragging as well as working haydays . groomer operator in North Branch Mn and around haydays area .

Chuck here, or as most people know me “Rev.” I am a retired LCMS pastor. Started snowmobiling in’91 in the U.P. Moved to Montana for 4 years and then to North Dakota for 17 years before retiring in St Germain. I am an active life time member of the VFW and the American Legion; I serve a church part time in Iron River, MI, and I have been the Track Chaplain at the World Championship Derby Complex since 2014. I also sing in a 100+ choir and I have acted in many musicals with over 280 performances since 2000 including playing Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof 4 times in 3 states. I just turned 75 and bought my first “summer” snowmobile, a Can Am Spyder Limited. I am as active as a 45 year old and let nothing slow me down if at all possible. It says that I have been a member since 2009 but I know I have been around since the mid to late 90's, I just don’t reply often. I ride a Skidoo 1200 with an American Flag wrap and stars and stripes skis.

I'm Skylar, I've been here since 99 or 2000 I think. 51 years old and my passion is snowmobiling the back country. One of these years I will have to go back to trail riding only, but not for another 15 years or more I hope. My wife and I spend a lot of time in the sxs in the spring summer and fall u.p. here. The plan is to retire up here.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Hi I'm Rick, born and still live in Ironwood, Mi, just turned 68 today. My first ride was on my Grandfather's 66 Evinrude Skeeter, all 14 horsepower, but I was hooked, been at it ever since. Spent 30+ years as a tech working on toys (motorcycles snowmobiles atvs) now call myself semi retired and groom cross country ski trails at ABR Trails in Ironwood. Spent 25 or so years grooming snowmobile trails till I got so frustrated with ten sleds destroying hours of work in seconds that I quit. At least when you groom a ski trail it lasts for a day or two.
    Current ride is a 2017 MXZ TNT 850, trail ride only. Been here quite a while, don't post much.

he hit 12k and quit

I've been on the site since 1999, and became a member sometime after that. Grew up in the Keweenaw, and know Mezz...or MEESTER BLEEZARD...pretty well. I actually hung out with his brother quite a bit years ago. I started snowmobiling when I was around 4, going with my parents in like 1977 or so....I then started driving my own sled 1980 enticer...then I started riding all over with my parents and their "group" through the 1980's. My parents got out of the sport in like 1992 or so when there became toooo many sleds out for them. I recall going to the Copper Harbor from Lake Linden and not even seeing any sleds on the trail....even if you could call it a trail then....my Dad knew the back woods of the Keweenaw really well and I learned a ton from him. He also taught me how to work on sleds (somewhat), and to always make sure someone is behind you....if you're not the last peep. I always had Yammy's when I was young, and took a break from sledding for a few years (maybe from 1999-2005). I then bought the new Apex Mountain in the 2007 model year. After a rollover and getting pinned I bought an Arctic Cat the next day....It was a 2008 M8, loved the sled. My last hurrah was an awesome trip to Wyoming in 2010 with Mezz and another buddy. When I got back from that trip I decided to sell my sled...it was then I retired from the sport. I do miss it sometimes but now that I've been on a sled from 4 years old to about 36 or so, 30+ years is enough for me. I now feel the need to go south during the winter...., so spring break trips hopefully will find me a spot for retirement or at least the winters. I did the side by side thing for a while after the sledding thing and just gave that up this spring.
    9 years and 3 months until I can retire but who is counting.

I love the seasons and the area...

m8man
    ahh, watch this..

Man I can't imagine living in snow globe and not owning a sled. Lol. I definitely get the warm place to retire though older I get.......I've really enjoyed spending few days every March in St. Pete's Beach area last few years.

Pit Grunt stops in to see the news of the UP. Not much time as in my early years. I run with my Team Red Mods the worlds largest snowmobile web sites.. DOOTALK.com. Also promote for SNOWTRACKS.com.

Miss all my trips in the U.P. Hope to make some runs this year. Everyone have a safe year sledding...

WE RIDE !!! JUST RIDE IT!!!
    Last edited by Pit Grunt; 10-22-2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Add

Lol All you guys that have been on the internet since the beginning.
    Heck I didn't even get my first email address until 2011...

hi, im highlander...I was born at a very young age. my three favorite things are
    my family
    playing music
    and snowmobiling

Hello, this is Doug, trade name here indicates I do a bit with vintage sleds but ride the modern every chance I get. I live in S. WI where I work my career and grain farm if it doesn't rain. I recently built a home outside of Phelps spending as much time there as possible. I've been riding since about 1970, neighbor's Viking was the first (sled). In 73 we nearly got 2,500 LBS of milk per day from the cows so Dad bought us a new Moto Ski and that was it. Lost the sport during college and early child rearing days but got it back in time to create great memories for my wife and three girls.

Getting close to that day of calling Spectacle Lake home where I plan to ride 50 year old snowmobiles with 60 year old men on a regular basis. Unlike Eagle River Mike, our riding group is growing and there is room for one more. I think I joined the site several years back but don't take enough time to chime in as I should.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by bogiewheel View Post
    In 73 we nearly got 2,500 LBS of milk per day from the cows
    Holy sheet, Batman! How many cowsies milking to get numbers like that?

I yoosta work summers on my grandparents' farm In Bruce Crossing, MI milking ≈30+ cowsies, we used to get maybe 500 lb. per day. So what did you have, ≈150?

That would have been 50+ if I recall.

Which means that the ladies were averaging 50 lbs per cow per day which back then was great!

I have lived in Iron River WI since my hubby retired from John Deere in Waterloo IA and we built new up here in 07. The past 5 years I have worked security at Enbridge Energy in Superior WI, a job I truly enjoy(I talk to guys all day and get paid for it!) My hubby is going back in the Groomer seat this winter, he's been grading the trails here the past few years for our atv club. I am heavily involved with United Doberman Rescue and Canine Castaways of MN and also now with Saving Shepherds of MN also. My Dobe Skye will be 10 in Feb and my no brainer setter/retriever Danny Boy is turning 9, both rescues. Hopefully I'll get to ride more this winter since I know where and when the trails are groomed.

Interesting, I just signed into the forum for the first time an quite some time. My Name is Dan and I live in Waconia, MN. I have been a member here for a very long time, since the beginning. Currently have a fleet of three sleds, all Polaris now. Was a Cat guy for years, but found that the Polaris just fits me better now. I still believe that real snowmobiles are made in MN, the rest are just pretenders. I ride Mostly MN and the UP a couple times a year, and will continue to do so as long as I am able. My Son now 11 has also joined this insane habit we call fun and enjoys going on rides as much as I do. I upgraded him from the 304 Puma to a 2011 Polaris IQ550 with a 136" track. I don't have to dig him out nearly as much. Now to remember how to post pics...

Here are a couple pics from riding near home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 6mile; 11-04-2019 at 02:25 PM.

My name is Pete and live by Yorkville IL. The wife and I ride Ski Doos and have been on this site for a long time. We recently bought a place in Woodruff WI and do most of our riding in northern WI and the UP.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

"My name is " "My name is ": you see that a lot here in this thread.

You might have thought that was what the displayname: field in one's forum profile was for, or alternately using a hidden "login" vs. a displayname that you could toggle on or off to either show or conceal your identity, as you choose. That might have been useful here.
    I never did understand that about the profile implementation used herein.
    (But whadda I know, I are just a software injuneer! )

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post
    My name is Pete and live by Yorkville IL. The wife and I ride Ski Doos and have been on this site for a long time. We recently bought a place in Woodruff WI and do most of our riding in northern WI and the UP.
    My good friend lives on Red Gate right next to Silver Springs Park. Can you please get him back into sledding? Thanks.

Ha, that's about a mile from my house

Kevin here and I’m a 49 year old former FIB (Northern burbs of Chicago) that has lived in Wi since ’02. Been riding sleds since ’95 or so and have been an avid boater and motorcyclist since childhood. First sled experience was with my cousins when I was about 10 or 12 on their farm in North Branch, Mn. We were riding around in the fields and woods 2 up but on the way back one of them jumped off and the feeling of freedom driving the sled solo for the first time was unreal! I will never forget that moment!! When I decided to try the sport on my own, and could afford it (haha), in my mid- late twenties my first sled was a 70’s AC Pantera. Moved onto a mint ’87 Indy 400 then I got the bug so bad I bought a new ’97 Doo MXZ 583 and been buying new or nearly new Doo’s every 3-5 years. My hope is to be riding late into life even if it’s just rip around a block!

I’ve been here on JD since about 2000. Gordy from the Holiday Hotel in Houghton told me about the site and I’ve been here ever since. Don’t post often enough but enjoy the reads and entertainment! I too have met a few JD’ers for rides and continue to ride with some of them today. Everyone I’ve met to date has the same passion and respect for the sport and have been really great to ride with. When I’m not riding with a friend or fellow JD’er I ride with my wife and/or two kids to whom are 10 and 7 in age.

I want to end with a big THANK YOU to John and the moderators for the great site! I also want to thank John for sticking his neck out on forecasts good or bad! I don’t care if some storms don’t turn out too as it’s just cool to know of the potential.

Thanks again and THINK SNOW!

Harski