Thread: Trail 109 news?

Default Trail 109 news?

Has anyone caught wind of plans for Trail 109 near Silver Mountain? This segment runs on FR 2270 that washed out this spring. The road remains closed and I don't know that a reroute is possible here.

There is some discussion going on, but that is all I have heard.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

There is a way to reroute, but doubtful the DNR will do so.

Quote Originally Posted by old abe View Post
    There is a way to reroute, but doubtful the DNR will do so.
    Unfortunately you are probably right. Pity it's such a nice area to ride through.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardPlayHrd View Post
    Unfortunately you are probably right. Pity it's such a nice area to ride through.
    I totally agree. That area has been our favorite for many, upon many years. Gorgeous, nothing but!

Silver Mountain? Isn't there a man there?

Quote Originally Posted by blkhwkbob View Post
    Silver Mountain? Isn't there a man there?
    Ronnie

this is a good loop from greenland
    sidnaw gas and reusso bar may suffer from this
    maybe they need to groom 1100 on the sxs trail to sidnaw so we still have a loop

Quote Originally Posted by vx700xtc View Post
    Ronnie
    James Dio.

Bear

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blown_apex View Post
    maybe they need to groom 1100 on the sxs trail to sidnaw so we still have a loop
    For sure, love that trail.
    Except, the part south of Krupps, grooming **** for rider and groomer.

OOPS, did I say that.

Bear

Good idea loss of 109 puts lots of pressure on 3 which is crowded already. If Deadend the pipeline to Lanse or 8 East is only alternative from Sidnaw.

Ten years from now are we all going to load up our crap and drive hundreds of miles so we can just run up and down Trail 3 all day? Kinda feels that way sometimes.

The western UP and the Kee have been my favorite, go-to riding area for many years, but I’m starting to look at other options because of all the trail losses. Sucks.

Saw the DNR giving the stink eye to people running the 1100 road last season.

Quote Originally Posted by ICT Sledder View Post
    Ten years from now are we all going to load up our crap and drive hundreds of miles so we can just run up and down Trail 3 all day? Kinda feels that way sometimes.

The western UP and the Kee have been my favorite, go-to riding area for many years, but I’m starting to look at other options because of all the trail losses. Sucks.
    Definitely not gonna run 3 all day, I only use it as means to get to other riding locations faster...which makes it a great trail. I have always loved 12 out of Mass to Rousseau 109, down to sidnaw, kenton and over to Bruce and head back to Mass. Nice run, would hate to lose it.

Yep agree. Last year not having trail #3 north from Hancock really stunk. Now if trail #109 is out of commission this year that is gonna leave a mark. Losing some good trails that help make nice loops.

Quote Originally Posted by ICT Sledder View Post

The western UP and the Kee have been my favorite, go-to riding area for many years, but I’m starting to look at other options because off all the trail losses. Sucks.
    10 years....heck happening now.. Between washouts and logging getting tough.
    I'm with ya ICT.....better of farther south if snows ridable for more daily options.

is the 1100 trail out of Kenton pretty easy to navigate.....? .....always wanted to try it to the rousseau bar.....may have to now, with 109 out....

I believe that is the fire road we tried taking last year from Rousseau down to Kenton & we only got a mile or so before there was a no snowmobile sign because I think they were logging. Had to turn around which was a bummer. I have been wanting to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jedoyle View Post
    I believe that is the fire road we tried taking last year from Rousseau down to Kenton & we only got a mile or so before there was a no snowmobile sign because I think they were logging. Had to turn around which was a bummer. I have been wanting to go that way.
    Intense logging can really mess up a trail even when it’s groomed. I like the idea of grooming 1100 as a work around solution to the wash out. But if there is a lot of logging that’s a problem too.

The DNR gave out tickets last year at that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by UP RIDER View Post
    The DNR gave out tickets last year at that spot.
    Yep, when they put up the NO Snowmobile sign, don't get caught riding there! Just follow the rules. Two years ago the same. The DNR would go a ways past the sign, then wait for somebody to follow their tracks in, and BINGO! We came in from a different F.R. where there were no signs posted as yet, and just about ran into them. Not sure how that would have worked? We didn't bother to go find out!
    Last edited by old abe; 10-23-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Yep, when we stopped @ the Rousseau Bar there were 2 guys that had just received tickets. I believe they were somewhere between $100 - $200 so not cheap. Ran into the same scenario while trying to take a fire road off of trail #13 down to Bergland. Wife & I got a couple of miles down the FR when there was another no snowmobile sign so we had to turn around. Hopefully this year those 2 routes will be open to sleds once again.
    Last edited by jedoyle; 10-23-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Wasn’t this the same washout there was a few years ago and they had a real nice reroute? I could be mistaken but seems to be that is the same washout! And also I thought you could run any unplowed FS Road?

Quote Originally Posted by pwolfy2003 View Post
    Wasn’t this the same washout there was a few years ago and they had a real nice reroute? I could be mistaken but seems to be that is the same washout! And also I thought you could run any unplowed FS Road?
    Not if loggers say no sleds are out. Be respectful to logging operations.

Definitely have and definitely will continue to respect landowners!

If an area is being logged and the road plowed, the logging company will put up "no snowmobiles" for the safety of all.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Yep, when we stopped @ the Rousseau Bar there were 2 guys that had just received tickets. I believe they were somewhere between $100 - $200 so not cheap. Ran into the same scenario while trying to take a fire road off of trail #13 down to Bergland. Wife & I got a couple of miles down the FR when there was another no snowmobile sign so we had to turn around. Hopefully this year those 2 routes will be open to sleds once again.
    Did they have to go see the Magistrate?
    Hilarious.

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    If an area is being logged and the road plowed, the logging company will put up "no snowmobiles" for the safety of all.
    Not in Vilas county. They just put up caution signs. Last year, I came around a blind sweeping corner at a fairly high rate of speed and came face to face with a logging company's plow truck. Was barely able to get past it by banking off the snowbank. My knees were shaking for quite some time after. Lesson learned.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

I thought you could run any unplowed FS Road?
    Note the difference:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post

For the Ottawa National Forest any plowed forest road is off limits whether it's signed or not. Here is a quote from the Ottawa "Snowmobiles are prohibited in designated wildernesses, Sylvania Perimeter Area, and on plowed Forest System Roads."

I do believe there is a re-route in the works using part of the OC ORV Route

Quote Originally Posted by mrsrunningbear View Post
    For the Ottawa National Forest any plowed forest road is off limits whether it's signed or not. Here is a quote from the Ottawa "Snowmobiles are prohibited in designated wildernesses, Sylvania Perimeter Area, and on plowed Forest System Roads."

I do believe there is a re-route in the works using part of the OC ORV Route
    Thanks for the good news on the re-route! Hopefully it comes thru!

No, the last one was south of Bear's Den lookout, this one is north of the lookout.

Default 109 re route

Quote Originally Posted by old abe View Post
    Thanks for the good news on the re-route! Hopefully it comes thru!
    i got a reply from the mi dnr forest road division this week.....seems there definitely is a re-route in the works with all 3 clubs in the area, (Sidnaw, Superior and Baraga).....
    and the Ottawa NF....you can follow any changes on the Mi dnr sno mo online trail map

lets hope so..!!

The re-route is happening!! Below is a basic map of how the route will go. Clubs working together to make it happen!!

re-route (2).jpg

That will be a fantastic run! Gorgeous area!

Great news! Thanks for the update, looks like I’ll be riding a new trail this year!

That is great news! Look forward to riding it this year.