Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Des Plaines, Il
    Posts
    945

    Default Trailer Question from a FIB

    As you can probably imagine, here in the Chicagoland area we lock everything. If we don't lock something, it's because nothing is inside to steal and we would rather the bad guys just look inside without tearing apart our stuff.

    I recently upgraded from a clamshell trailer to a hybrid Triton TC 167. It has a man door and the back ramp-door only. I would really like to keep some oil, the spare (I put a lock on it) maybe a small kit with lug wrench, jack and spare marker bulbs, and possibly leave the tie-down bars inside the trailer as much as I can on our trips up north. Overnight and while we are out riding. Is it better to lock up the trailer, just leave it unlocked, or not leave anything in the trailer at all? I do have the upgraded tie down bars, and those I would be very careful with. I just hate putting all that crap in the car all the time. I was hoping the hybrid trailer would alleviate some of that. Let's use the Great Northern in Mercer as a sample lot. What degree of security would one reasonably expect?

    Opinions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cloquet, MN
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    I leave oil and stuff in my trailer all the time but it is locked up. Trailer is locked to my hitch, got padlocks on both front and rear doors, and man door is locked. Can they be cut off? Sure, but hopefully they’ll see somebody else’s unlocked trailer and go for that one instead.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oglesby, IL
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    I have stayed at the Great Northern many times and we have a 24 foot enclosed trailer. The only thing we keep in the trailer is a gallon of oil and the spare tire and our trailer is always unlocked. Honestly, I am a pretty trusting person and I know I’ll get burned someday in the future but we have never had any problems. I do park my sled right outside my bedroom window....a lot of good that will do after closing down the bar there each night. My advice to fellow riders, anything you really care about not getting stolen make sure it is locked up.....at least it makes them work for it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    se mn
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Trust everyone but cut the cards... It's worser in Mercer. I trust peeps in da yoop if I'm out in the sticks. If I'm at the super 8 in Houghton it's locked up or taken inside. Thieves are the devil's hemroids...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NE Pa
    Posts
    768

    Default

    I think if your worried they will break into your trailer, and thinking of putting things in your car, WHY won;t they break into your car??
    same deal
    I have had whole trailer stolen, locked up, even had locked chains on it
    and bye bye it when over night

    if they want something bad enough they will get it, more steps you make them take, maybe the better , or odds they MIGHT go else where, BUT??
    Good insurance is where I'm at

    My trailers always carried extra things, oils, tool kits, jacks, spare tires and what not's, when riding ALL ramps and doors get locked, (order a dozen mater locks all keyed the same, makes life easier only needing one key)

    I also carry a small propane torch in my truck, in case any locks freeze up, rather common issue
    also carry bolt cutters in my truck and extra locks?

    and I fully agree, better to lock things up and make them work for it, over just leaving things open and or out
    unless you don;t like things and want a way out of them < LOL

    god insurance and MAKE sure you talk to your agent and make sure you have coverage for everything, add on's and extra crap you carry in trailer

    some company's DON"T cover add on's , on sleds OR trailers under a basic policy, some do,
    so better ton know before than after!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Watertown WI
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    I think the only issues you would have in WI, would be on Silver St in Hurley with a mint Chevy Blazer attached to your trailer.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Des Plaines, Il
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    I think if your worried they will break into your trailer, and thinking of putting things in your car, WHY won;t they break into your car??
    same deal
    I have had whole trailer stolen, locked up, even had locked chains on it
    and bye bye it when over night

    if they want something bad enough they will get it, more steps you make them take, maybe the better , or odds they MIGHT go else where, BUT??
    Good insurance is where I'm at

    My trailers always carried extra things, oils, tool kits, jacks, spare tires and what not's, when riding ALL ramps and doors get locked, (order a dozen mater locks all keyed the same, makes life easier only needing one key)

    I also carry a small propane torch in my truck, in case any locks freeze up, rather common issue
    also carry bolt cutters in my truck and extra locks?

    and I fully agree, better to lock things up and make them work for it, over just leaving things open and or out
    unless you don;t like things and want a way out of them < LOL

    god insurance and MAKE sure you talk to your agent and make sure you have coverage for everything, add on's and extra crap you carry in trailer

    some company's DON"T cover add on's , on sleds OR trailers under a basic policy, some do,
    so better ton know before than after!
    The trailer man door is probably a lot easier to get in to than a car door. And they don't always stay together.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Osseo Wisconsin
    Posts
    278

    Default

    We lock everything including the pin through the receiver. Is it full proof, no, but like other's say I'm going to make them work for it. Repeating what others say good insurance. You can be stopped to eat and someone walks down the row of sleds at the bar hopeing to get lucky with their key. If you think I'm joking I'm not. It happened last year at Pine Stump north of Newberry. Insure everything! Or make sure it's not worth much to start with.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sterling, IL
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    I leave oil and stuff in my trailer all the time but it is locked up. Trailer is locked to my hitch, got padlocks on both front and rear doors, and man door is locked. Can they be cut off? Sure, but hopefully they’ll see somebody else’s unlocked trailer and go for that one instead.
    X2. I have a clamshell but I lock the 4'x4' front door and padlock the opposite corners of the front and back, also keeping it locked to the hitch. At the end of the day, if people want to break in, they'll find a way in. My hope in locking is that it deters them just enough or that someone may see them trying and confront them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oglesby, IL
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Trust everyone but cut the cards... It's worser in Mercer. I trust peeps in da yoop if I'm out in the sticks. If I'm at the super 8 in Houghton it's locked up or taken inside. Thieves are the devil's hemroids...

    "Worser in Mercer!" Ill be saying that all winter now!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NE Pa
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blkhwkbob View Post
    The trailer man door is probably a lot easier to get in to than a car door. And they don't always stay together.
    not so sure about that, windows break pretty easy!
    if you reaally think a man door is vunerable, you can always add some better set up/pocks to teh INSIDE Of it, to prevent it from opening easy, and just use rear door then

    but facts are facts, if they want in, it doesn;t take much to open a soft thin skin trailer period!
    and again on a vehicle, glass breaks pretty easy!, MOST all cars have truck openers inside, so things in truck can be gone pretty quick too

    GOOD Insurance, gets MY vote, and use locks, won't stop all
    as honestly ALL locks do is keep honest folks honest!
    crooks??
    can do anything! they don't play by the rules!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kingston, IL
    Posts
    254

    Default

    I don't lock trailer door nor to hitch. I dont take key out of sled at a bar either. Never had a problem. Not saying it will not happen but just do not worry about it. If they get stolen insurance will help get a new one. Its easier to deal with wife if they are stolen vs just I want new.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    4,633

    Default

    I booby trap everything on my rusted out crap. Only thing I take in is booze, oil and beef jerky.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    se mn
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durphee View Post
    "Worser in Mercer!" Ill be saying that all winter now!
    It's a quote from way back when we were in Bingo's. RIP. It was to early for Hurley and it gets worser towards Mercer. Words to live by my friends!!! Lol. Those were the days!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durphee View Post
    "Worser in Mercer!" Ill be saying that all winter now!
    ha.. now dats funny

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    It's a quote from way back when we were in Bingo's. RIP. It was to early for Hurley and it gets worser towards Mercer. Words to live by my friends!!! Lol. Those were the days!!!
    dam..lets go der den

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    central ill
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    It's a quote from way back when we were in Bingo's. RIP. It was to early for Hurley and it gets worser towards Mercer. Words to live by my friends!!! Lol. Those were the days!!!
    So are you saying that Gene has passed? I knew his wife had passed away a few years back but l hadn't heard anything about him.
    Is the bar still open? What a great stop. Like stepping back in time.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    se mn
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    ...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    705

    Default

    I was in bingos last year, Gene was still around. But that was February i think 2019

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Grange, IL
    Posts
    879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lincolnwood View Post
    So are you saying that Gene has passed? I knew his wife had passed away a few years back but l hadn't heard anything about him.
    Is the bar still open? What a great stop. Like stepping back in time.
    I was thinking the same thing...man I hope he is still around but I know the bar business is tough especially in that remote section of town.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blkhwkbob View Post
    As you can probably imagine, here in the Chicagoland area we lock everything. If we don't lock something, it's because nothing is inside to steal and we would rather the bad guys just look inside without tearing apart our stuff.

    I recently upgraded from a clamshell trailer to a hybrid Triton TC 167. It has a man door and the back ramp-door only. I would really like to keep some oil, the spare (I put a lock on it) maybe a small kit with lug wrench, jack and spare marker bulbs, and possibly leave the tie-down bars inside the trailer as much as I can on our trips up north. Overnight and while we are out riding. Is it better to lock up the trailer, just leave it unlocked, or not leave anything in the trailer at all? I do have the upgraded tie down bars, and those I would be very careful with. I just hate putting all that crap in the car all the time. I was hoping the hybrid trailer would alleviate some of that. Let's use the Great Northern in Mercer as a sample lot. What degree of security would one reasonably expect?

    Opinions?
    Hi Bob,
    Funny thing is, when up north you only need be concerned with other Illinoi thieving.

    I transfer things from my trailer to my truck for safety like my $250 sled cover and the ski-tie downs.

    Bear

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» November 2019

S M T W T F S
2728293031 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

» Stats

Members: 20,143
Threads: 27,601
Posts: 326,639

» Today's Birthdays

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0