Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SE WI - Walworth - Waukesha - Racine - Kenosha - Jefferson Counties

Well the talk of snow this week prompted me to get on the site for the first time this year and check out John's Seasonal forecast as well as getting this thread started. It will be nice to see some flakes fly early before Halloween but reality is any form of precipitation that we are getting right now is just delaying our trails being put in. In Walworth county we are drastically behind in crop harvest mainly due to a wet/ cold spring as some crops did not get in until June. But now the rains this fall and now snow this week that we are getting will just further delay farmers getting out to get crops off the fields. With that being said our club in East Troy is still shooting for getting all of our trails in by December 1st as usual. The last couple years we have not been successful in doing this and I would not be surprised if this year is the same with the weather we have had. So far our club has about 5% of our fields cleared and ready for stakes. We will hope for a dry next couple of weeks to get us on schedule! As usual post here for some SE WI conditions, riding and information throughout the year. Anyone thinking about joining a club, please do so! We are always in need of a helping hand or just your money to help make the trails happen! Whether it is our club or another the membership goes a long way!

Let's hope this is a great year!

RS

Happy Halloween/ Trick-or-Treat I think this is a trick. About 5" on the ground coming down hard and blowing. Would rather have this in December....

RS

Remember a few years ago when we got all that snow on 11/19, never snowed again for over two months. I'd rather see warm and dry now, pretty crappy fall this year. We will be hard pressed to get trails in on time.

I'm assuming getting your trails in will also be determined by wether us farmers can get our crops off. So far that's not going very well!

Yeah brutal fall for the farmers so far. Everyone one of them that I have talked to for trail permission did not sound too optimistic. And it is snowing again today. One plus side of things, it looks like it is going to get real cold next week. If we stay dry as well perhaps the ground will freeze up a bit so they can get out and get those crops off!

RS

Anohter 3-4" on ground this morning snowing and blowing hard now. Hard to tell how much we got with all blowing going on. Would be nice to get this snow in December instead of November!

RS

Quote Originally Posted by Snirtdawg View Post
    Remember a few years ago when we got all that snow on 11/19, never snowed again for over two months. I'd rather see warm and dry now, pretty crappy fall this year. We will be hard pressed to get trails in on time.
    Get the H--- out of here! I don't want to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanslyne View Post
    Anohter 3-4" on ground this morning snowing and blowing hard now. Hard to tell how much we got with all blowing going on. Would be nice to get this snow in December instead of November!

RS
    Ditto.... because you know its going to melt

Looking at Unaccuweather, looks to remain pretty cold into December! We are going to need chisels and drill bits to get posts in this year

was doing some scouting around washington and fon du lac co. this saturday and was surprised that all the trail markers were in,,, At least where I know there are trails from seeing from road in past wintes or trails I've been on,,,they're all marked. saw guys on 4 wheelers marking a field in fon du lac co.
    Also saw a bald eagle soaring above.

i think this snow and cold is here to stay.

Looking at Unaccuweather, looks to remain pretty cold into December! We are going to need chisels and drill bits to get posts in this year
    YEP AND IT IS GOING TO BE BRUTAL! We are going to try and start Thanksgiving weekend. Still waiting on at least 10-15 fields to be harvested.

RS

YEP AND IT IS GOING TO BE BRUTAL! We are going to try and start Thanksgiving weekend. Still waiting on at least 10-15 fields to be harvested.

RS
    Same here in Elkhorn, we got what we could marked 2 weeks ago and have been haulted since. No changes in the fields with crops yet and the few that did come down need to be tilled. Some farmers told me another 2 weeks possibly before they get back tilling after the rain. Not going to be fun getting signs in this year.

We got most of the road crossings done on 11/29/19, but I don't see the being able to get into the fields until mid December at the earliest, way too wet and crops.

Our road crossings are done hoping to get the rest in Saturday before the big cool down next week freezes everything up.

RS

Things are depressing around here....I guess travel north to ride it looks like it is going to be a while yet until we get any snow around here. John's text sounds promising perhaps for end of next week but nothing firm. My 10 day outlook on my phone does not look promising either. We have our Walworth County Snowmobile Alliance meeting tonight, we should get an idea on if all of our trails are finally in or not. If indeed they are then I guess all we are waiting on is snow! I will report back on that. Think snow!

RS

What started out so promising has turned into early november. Standing water everywhere. Dam near 50 and sunny again today.
    Heading up north tonight to scratch my itch.

Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    What started out so promising has turned into early november. Standing water everywhere. Dam near 50 and sunny again today.
    Heading up north tonight to scratch my itch.
    Quick, Everyone back to the U.P. north of HWY 2.

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
    quick, everyone back to the u.p. North of hwy 2.

Bear
    haha!

Heading back above hwy 2 in a week. Still have some fields we can't mark! Not that it matters at all.

Finally a promising forecast coming in from John for SE WI. Let's hope it plays out!

RS

Finally a promising forecast coming in from John for SE WI. Let's hope it plays out!

RS
    What’s your opinion of pending conditions? I’ve been looking at standing corn and a whole lot of mud , swamps and lakes open water. I wondering if I should even try since so warm!

We put some signs in for another club over the weekend. Things are actually fairly dry now and at that time there was an inch or two of frost in the ground, I would bet there still is especially after the cold weather today. If we get a decent amount of snow I would imagine they could be good to go as long as all the clubs have at least their state corridor trails in. Of course it will be like any other county/ area in Wisconsin this year. Some spots good some bad maybe a few wet spots here and there, but that sounds like that is going to be a statewide problem for the whole season given the wet year we had statewide in 2019.

RS

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    What’s your opinion of pending conditions? I’ve been looking at standing corn and a whole lot of mud , swamps and lakes open water. I wondering if I should even try since so warm!
    The rain Thursday-Friday untill changes to snow could be a problem. Most lakes are wide open and may have skimmed over last night with the single digit temps. But calling for near 50 tomorrow with rain then the snow. Like Ryan said little to no frost at all in ground and rain might take it that out. The section of trail that I mark is 100% in ( 1 of 4 sections in Elkhorn stytem) and I know at our last Dec meeting all the other sections were in but where there was corn. Not sure if all corn is down or not yet, I know farmers have been tilling all week with no frozen ground. Water levels are high and with rain and warm next 2 days swamps will not be froze that is for sure. Looks like early next week back to upper 30's before we finally get a good freeze my middle to end of week that would help a lot. Like Ryan said the biggest issue is also going to what parts of the trails are 100% in. Many of the stakes in SE. went is with 2-4" of frost in ground back in mid Dec and then the warm and rains came with 50mph winds over the holidays and there are also stakes that got knock down so be careful and watch for that. We re pounded and stood a bunch last week and I am going to check again later today for any others. Its been a fight for farmers, trail insallations and now for snowmobilers if we get snow. Hope the 2nd half of winter brings cold and snow so we can enjoy the trails for all work it has taken this year.

You might get lucky. We just got back from the YOOP and we left our sleds UP there for our next trip so the only sled I have here to ride is my Interceptor 550 ...LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by EXCESSIVE FORCE View Post
    You might get lucky. We just got back from the YOOP and we left our sleds UP there for our next trip so the only sled I have here to ride is my Interceptor 550 ...LOL..
    Looking that way... Early forcast is 1-3" Firday night and then a pause until Saturday afternoon when the next storm rolls in until Sunday morning, calling for 6-10" with that storm at the moment. Good News they seemed to back off on rain today and Friday with maybe some freezing drizzle or very light showers.

Crossing fingers for the area, long overdue! looks like slight warm up next week but lets hope it stays as it will be a wet snow and would be nice to lay down a base for more to fall upon!

shocked and pleasantly surprised by JD's forecast. Let it dump

Things are looking promising we will have to just keep our fingers crossed. We didn't get much rain at all today so that is a good thing. Looks like they are still calling for snow just how much is the question. Sounds like JohnD is at least expecting 3-6" for us maybe more depending on how it sets up. As Ridindirty800 said a lot of it will depend on what trails are in and what trails are not. The county is split into two zones so that may play in here as well who knows. How much we actually get is the question. Either way it is going to be a good start. The slight warm up next week that they have in there now sounds like it will bring more snow with it on the tail end of it so that can only help things before the big cool down end of next week. I think the warm weather will help after the snow falls settling stuff in rather than it just blowing around everywhere like it can commonly do around here. We will see what happens and I will report back as we get going!

RS

Looking like a .25" of ice tonight and then 1-3" of snow and another 5-10" tomorrow for most of our area in Walworth county. Let's get it going! Sunny and 35F now. Had some of our landowners putting tile into fields yesterday reporting greasy mud on top of 2-3" of frost. At least there is a little bit of frost. Perhaps the .25" of ice first will be a good thing for the trails at least. Not sure about for everything else! haha But then put some snow on top of that it could help to have that icy junk first. Our local weather guessers are all over the place ranging in totals depending on the station. I will stick to John's forecast and our local NWS forecast. Will report back as we get it!

RS

Looking like a .25" of ice tonight and then 1-3" of snow and another 5-10" tomorrow for most of our area in Walworth county. Let's get it going! Sunny and 35F now. Had some of our landowners putting tile into fields yesterday reporting greasy mud on top of 2-3" of frost. At least there is a little bit of frost. Perhaps the .25" of ice first will be a good thing for the trails at least. Not sure about for everything else! haha But then put some snow on top of that it could help to have that icy junk first. Our local weather guessers are all over the place ranging in totals depending on the station. I will stick to John's forecast and our local NWS forecast. Will report back as we get it!

RS
    Unfortunately the snow will take the 2-3 " of frost out of the ground. Once again if we get rideable snow you guys can thank me..LOL..

RAIN RAIN AND MORE RAIN overnight..... .74" of rain at my house in Northern Walworth County and .79" at my work in Southern Waukesha County. No snow at all overight just rain. Backing way off snow totals for the weekend and what we get will be a mess as the ground is not froze at all anymore. Forecasts are still all over but the most I have seen is 4-7" for tonight and I have seen some say only 2-4" so who knows. But we need some serious cold to get ground froze.

Denied once again uuuuuugh! when left shop last night.... POURING!! ground is very soft, lets hope we get something out of this depending on what station you watch somewhere between 2" - 10" with another possible snow event on weds, COME ON WINTER!! been too long for our corner of the state!

HAVE FAITH KIDS!

I have no idea what other forecasters were saying with this storm, but I have always been calling for the main snow event to be later today into tonight and early tomorrow morning. I even used bold text for most of the week in my forecast text to help get the point across. I removed the bold yesterday because I had figured most had seen it and I did not need to emphasize anymore. So the fact that something other than snow fell in your areas up to this point is no surprise to me.

Anyway, still looks like SE WI and far NE IL will see 4-8" FROM AROUND 2-4 PM TODAY THROUGH 5-6 AM TOMORROW. The only changes I see in this system is a little less snow for NW IL and E IA. Totals there around 2-5", rather than 3-6.

-John

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    HAVE FAITH KIDS!

I have no idea what other forecasters were saying with this storm, but I have always been calling for the main snow event to be later today into tonight and early tomorrow morning. I even used bold text for most of the week in my forecast text to help get the point across. I removed the bold yesterday because I had figured most had seen it and I did not need to emphasize anymore. So the fact that something other than snow fell in your areas up to this point is no surprise to me.

Anyway, still looks like SE WI and far NE IL will see 4-8" FROM AROUND 2-4 PM TODAY THROUGH 5-6 AM TOMORROW. The only changes I see in this system is a little less snow for NW IL and E IA. Totals there around 2-5", rather than 3-6.

-John
    Bring it on! Thanks John!

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    HAVE FAITH KIDS!

-John
    You as usual are spot on. The local guys were calling for 1-4" last night and another 4-8" tonight for a total of 5-12 two day total. But the snow stayed north of S.E Wi where they got about 1-3" and we got all rain and then everything turned to glare ice this a.m A real mess down here with many places without power and many branches are snapped and taking power lines down. Well bring on the snow tonight and see what happens.

Yet another shnizzle fashizzle in SE WI......

3 inches in SE Wi. What a dud....

Denied!

EL Busto!

Not that it makes a hill of beans of a difference to all of you wearing a scowl (and rightfully so) this morning, but the models just blew the snow side of this storm. Handled just about everything else fine, but no question the snowfall side of things was a big pile of bull do-do. Surprising that they blew it as close as 12 hours away.

On the consolation side of things. 2-3 light snow events between now and Wednesday night look to deposit that which did not fall with this latest storm. Sure hope it pans out for your folks down there!

-John

Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post
    Yet another shnizzle fashizzle in SE WI......
    Locals said mid week something big is coming, then the 6 to 12 inches thing, then 8 to10, 5 to 6, 2 to 4, finally 1 to 2. Ended with maybe 1? Oh well, I was in my local Lawn and Garden care shop Sat am, asked them how the snow blower, and other snow removal equipment sales went a few days prior to this BS storm? They were all smiles! I then asked them if they paid the weather forecasters to predict this kind of ----? They said no, but perhaps it may be a good idea! Whatever, it just sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by old abe View Post
    Locals said mid week something big is coming, then the 6 to 12 inches thing, then 8 to10, 5 to 6, 2 to 4, finally 1 to 2. Ended with maybe 1? Oh well, I was in my local Lawn and Garden care shop Sat am, asked them how the snow blower, and other snow removal equipment sales went a few days prior to this BS storm? They were all smiles! I then asked them if they paid the weather forecasters to predict this kind of ----? They said no, but perhaps it may be a good idea! Whatever, it just sucks!
    @HD we sold a buttload a snowblowers in late Oct. and early Nov......LOL ....and a few yesterday. Salt flew out the door for this storm.

@HD we sold a buttload a snowblowers in late Oct. and early Nov......LOL ....and a few yesterday. Salt flew out the door for this storm.
    Yep, this no snow game is a racket!

Friday rain, Early Saturday .25" ice (you could ice skate my driveway if you wanted), Saturday night into Sunday 2-3" snow. The ground is white but now we wait for more snow. Picked up a dusting last night but it looks like we will have to wait until this coming weekend to see if we can finally get going around here. I'm headed northbound Wednesday night. I can't handle waiting for things to transpire around here. So no reports out of me until I come back on Sunday. Let's hope I come back to some good news!

RS

I ended up with as much snow sunday night (2-3 inches ) as did saturday night. (3 in. )
    about 7 on ground now.

I ended up with as much snow sunday night (2-3 inches ) as did saturday night. (3 in. )
    about 7 on ground now.
    What county?

What county?
    Got about .5" in Elkhorn and about 1.5" at my work in SW Waukesha CO. I think further noth in Waukesha Co got 2-3"

Washington.

What county?

Looks like all eyes will be on the Friday-Saturday storm again for this weekend. Hopefully this one plays out a little better for us! Then colder temps to follow!

RS

About 4” (hard to tell with drifting) in Elkhorn area. Walworth and Waukesha trails are still closed. Walworth will be sending groomers out to pack down what we have and inspect trails. Cold is coming and a few chances for light snow but maybe it will add up to something bynext weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by ridindirty800 View Post
    About 4” (hard to tell with drifting) in Elkhorn area. Walworth and Waukesha trails are still closed. Walworth will be sending groomers out to pack down what we have and inspect trails. Cold is coming and a few chances for light snow but maybe it will add up to something bynext weekend!
    This and a few more inches before Saturday the 25th could really help the conditions @ the Racine Co. Winterfest ....Great Lakes Dragway, Union Grove.

Fingers crossed.

Trails open here in Wash. Co. and Fon du lac.
    Little good little bad,, defintiley worth riding. Open field that aren't chiseled were hard and fast. Chiseled plow fields sucked but if you know where you're going they can be avoided.
    Wasn't around any lakes, don't think they could be safe.

Default Never enough

Looks like all eyes will be on the Friday-Saturday storm again for this weekend. Hopefully this one plays out a little better for us! Then colder temps to follow!

RS
    All this hype for an average 5 days of riding a year. Chisel plowed fields and 5" of snow. Go north.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVE2RIDE View Post
    All this hype for an average 5 days of riding a year. Chisel plowed fields and 5" of snow. Go north.
    Since moving to southeast WI I appreciate all that the clubs do to prepare trails BUT I do wonder at least this year if the temperatures will be cold enough to groom and get decent conditions. Wet areas and lakes and rivers seem like a big gamble. Wait and see but north trips are scheduled.

Cirrus_Driver Guest

Since moving to southeast WI I appreciate all that the clubs do to prepare trails BUT I do wonder at least this year if the temperatures will be cold enough to groom and get decent conditions. Wet areas and lakes and rivers seem like a big gamble. Wait and see but north trips are scheduled.
    WD - You MOVED from the Northwoods?? Please tell when this all came about. I was wondering why you were so quiet. Ironically, we have an accepted offer on a property between Boulder and Presque Isle.

Whitedust, most of Walworth county has been groomed in last few days to try to get base down and inspect trails. At our meeting last night the groomer driver said big concern right now is many stakes through out the county have fallen down around new years when frost came out of ground and we had rain and high winds before freezing up again. Our club is going out to check and fix our section in case we get enough snow to open. In open areas about 4ish inches of frost and less in tall grass and swamp areas. Rough year for sure but many years Feb and early March has been pretty good (For southern Wi) at times. When did you leave the north come down here?

Whitedust, most of Walworth county has been groomed in last few days to try to get base down and inspect trails. At our meeting last night the groomer driver said big concern right now is many stakes through out the county have fallen down around new years when frost came out of ground and we had rain and high winds before freezing up again. Our club is going out to check and fix our section in case we get enough snow to open. In open areas about 4ish inches of frost and less in tall grass and swamp areas. Rough year for sure but many years Feb and early March has been pretty good (For southern Wi) at times. When did you leave the north come down here?
    Been here since about Halloween just in time for the cold snap and pumpkin snow lol. I joined the Tichigan club and I’m on the Fox River. I’ve done a lot of brush cutting and your right not much frost in the ground. I lived in Walworth County for 25 years previous to my 15 years in Vilas so I’m aware of the decline of winter in southern WI. I’m hopeful the area will get some riding days but as you say the lack of frost in the ground is concerning. Last week I trailered to Mountain and enjoyed their trails via park and ride. I’m busy with home improvements but still want to get 10 days of riding in UP and Vilas its a bonus to get any riding days in Racine and Walworth. To be completely honest if crap conditions I’ll stand down just travel north. It’s back to the future for me as a snow chaser but that’s ok I accept what I have to do to enjoy snowmobiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus_Driver View Post
    WD - You MOVED from the Northwoods?? Please tell when this all came about. I was wondering why you were so quiet. Ironically, we have an accepted offer on a property between Boulder and Presque Isle.
    Good luck in Boulder and PI area it’s a beautiful area but your neighbors are mostly tree huggers that can be a pita regarding noise, tree cutting and boat wakes a very conservative group nothing like ER and Phelps. If a 2nd home you’re ok but if your primary residence there’s no DRs ,minimal medical help and few amenities for the wifey. My wife hated it in Vilas she’s a shopper and only big box is in Rhinelander. Us guys don’t care we have fun on lakes and in the woods the ladies not so much. We mainly left because #3 daughter in southern WI was very ill and our house wasn’t listed but an area realtor but together a 1 time showing and an offer was made we couldn’t refuse. So here we are adjusting to life and whatever comes our way.

Cirrus_Driver Guest

Good luck in Boulder and PI area itís a beautiful area but your neighbors are mostly tree huggers that can be a pita regarding noise. So here we are adjusting to life and whatever comes our way.
    You've had a lot of change, I figured it had to be something like that. All the issues you cited are valid points, and we have addressed all at great length. We can keep our doctors, so for now will travel back as necessary. We are selling two homes, but for sure the one down here, (probably less than 5-6 miles from you in Tichigan area), will be no problem. The one in central Vilas may take longer, but not worried. Market is robust in So WI. We have the ability to be back down south in 4.7 hrs, and we will be back at least once a month. We had no intention of moving this quickly, but the place is so incredible we had to move on it. 2.66 acres, so we have privacy, and the one neighbor to the north seems cool. Lake is 60% state owned, so quite private. Western exposure, and we see nothing across the lake on eastern shore. Like a dream. Don't bank on getting any riding down here, if you do, I'd sell the sleds (or trailer) Best of luck.

There will be good years of riding in SE wis and years where it is bad. It was always like that for me growing up. Sometimes we could drive the truck out on the lake, other years it was a slush fest and had to keep the sleds off. Always treated local riding as a bonus and often times put alot of miles on lakes going around in circles. Crap riding is better than no riding in my book.

Welcome to our world the last 20 years.
    Hope your daughter's in better health.

Welcome to our world the last 20 years.
    Hope your daughter's in better health.
    More like back to the future for me started winter sports in Walworth County in 1978 also was part of the Chicago blizzard of 67 so Iím well aware of the on and off winter years in the northern Il and southern WI. Heck we chased snow all over WI just to xcountry ski with the family. Just hope for the best winter you can get locally then enjoy trips for fun in the snow. Never been to Mountain WI so new place new trails last Saturday and totally enjoyed it.

About another 1" last night, calling for another 1" today, tonight, tomorrow and maybe 2-4 Friday night. So they say 3-7" 3 day total by Saturday morning possibly. Temps are going to be above freezing in the low to mid 30's for the next week or so. Lets hope for a higher amount Friday night as it looks like the trails are shaping up nice from all the grooming going on this week.

As ridindirty800Said majority of the trails have been groomed and are actually in pretty decent shape, obviously some of the chisel plowed fields will be rough and we will have thin spots or a couple hazards but waiting for perfect conditions around here most of the time will never happen. All of the clubs had to go back out and inspect trails due to signs getting blown over in the high winds. Our club went out last night and inspected our trails in East Troy and only had a few signs to put back up. There is frost in the ground now and the trials that are groomed have set up really nice. Majority of the trails in East Troy I would say are in decent enough condition to ride now. So with the inch we picked up last night and continuous snow in the forecast I would be shocked if they didn't open them up relatively shortly. Given the year this might be the only shot we get with warmer weather in the forecast by Wednesday/ Thursday next week. Even then it is only upper 30s to 40 degrees so if they have to close the trails for a few days then it probably wouldn't be too bad as a major meltdown is not seen. We will wait and see what happens! It appears it is the same every year if we can get the trails open beyond 10 days that is a bonus, last year I think we were around 20. Sometimes the conditions can be great other times not so much. But some riding if you want to is better than no riding at all right out your back door! I think that is what keeps us guys doing it that put in all the work every year, the chance to have riding out our back door and at times it can be really good riding for a short period of time. Fingers crossed we get them going soon here! Keep on snowing!

RS

About another 1" last night, calling for another 1" today, tonight, tomorrow and maybe 2-4 Friday night. So they say 3-7" 3 day total by Saturday morning possibly. Temps are going to be above freezing in the low to mid 30's for the next week or so. Lets hope for a higher amount Friday night as it looks like the trails are shaping up nice from all the grooming going on this week.
    LETS HOPE!! would be nice for the people who put all the hard work into Winter Fest, and all those who attend it, to finally get a break and mother nature lend them a helping hand for a change!

Around another inch last night and still snowing on and off. Flurries and drizzle forcasted for reminder of day, then tonight John and local weather guys are calling for around 3-5" range overnight. I have a good feeling at some point in the next 24hrs trails in Walworth Co will get open. Ryanslyne's club is having a fundraiser in Saturday at the Pit Stop 67 (formerly Not So Far Away) on the trail in Abels Corner. If not plowing I have my fingers crossed me and some buddies can ride to this event. Lets hope the weather works out and we can get some local ridding this weekend!

at this rate we will get our average....an inch at a time, just wish the snow would have fallen all at once instead of over three days, the snow, rain, snow, rain not doing us any favors, hopefully we get the 3-5 tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    at this rate we will get our average....an inch at a time, just wish the snow would have fallen all at once instead of over three days, the snow, rain, snow, rain not doing us any favors, hopefully we get the 3-5 tonight!
    agreed, if we get 3-5" tonight I would think trails will open at least for the weekend before the warmer weather comes mid week?

Horrible here in Waterford Fox River not safe and snow turning to slush with overnight rain snow mix. I was on the Fox RIver yesterday lucky to have 3 inches of ice shore line is open water. I was working on my shore station and my walking path on shore turned to packed slush quickly. Difficult to think trails will open in Racine County anytime soon just toooo darn warm and wet. Imo it’s GOT to get colder and JD forecasted average in near future. I’m hopeful for some lake and river riding but not in the cards now unfortunately.

Think we lost more than we gained today, I haven't plowed the drive way to my back 40 at all in last two weeks so was snow covered this morning.... now a sess pool of slush and water, and with the lack of any real frost in ground...not good. crossing fingers for the 3 to 5 and cold weather to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    Think we lost more than we gained today, I haven't plowed the drive way to my back 40 at all in last two weeks so was snow covered this morning.... now a sess pool of slush and water, and with the lack of any real frost in ground...not good. crossing fingers for the 3 to 5 and cold weather to follow.
    Yeah today was not good at all! Fog and Mist settled snow and turned into a sluch mess. Just cant win down here this year. Still calling for 1-5" depending on who you listen to, but like you guys said it is 36 right now with a low of 31 tonight and things just don't look as good as they did this a.m.

As of 6:30 am today Walworth Co trails are open and groomers have been out overnight and this morning panning the new snow. Close to 3” of wet snow on the north side of Elkhorn and still lightly snowing with up to and inch or 2 of additional accumulation today. Looking at weather probably won’t last long so get out and enjoy while you can. From inspecting our trails this week I would guess you will encounter some good and some bad but it’s southern Wi riding.

Racine County trails are open for today Saturday probably for the Union Grove races and anticipate closing Tomorrow Sunday. Tichigan Marshes are closed not safe open water. Do your thing to scratch your itch but it’s is soaking wet out there and I hope no one gets hopelessly stuck. I’m standing down plus I’m surrounded by Marsh. Good luck to all those that give it a try but a 1 day opener should indicate concern. No river or lake is safe so don’t even think about crossing ice. Good luck to everyone!

Racine County trails are open for today Saturday probably for the Union Grove races and anticipate closing Tomorrow Sunday. Tichigan Marshes are closed not safe open water. Do your thing to scratch your itch but it’s is soaking wet out there and I hope no one gets hopelessly stuck. I’m standing down plus I’m surrounded by Marsh. Good luck to all those that give it a try but a 1 day opener should indicate concern. No river or lake is safe so don’t even think about crossing ice. Good luck to everyone!
    Haven't heard much from you about riding this year. Are you still putting on the miles?

Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    Haven't heard much from you about riding this year. Are you still putting on the miles?
    A few in the Mountain area during a snow storm and was fun. Zero in Waterford but have 2 Monday -Friday trips scheduled in the UP. I’ve been totally immersed in home improvements this winter and warm temps throughout the WI have kept me conservative of where I will ride. Northern WI
    and WUPMI are in pretty good condition so heading up.

Racine county trails closed today and will probably stay closed until cold weather and increased snow depth on trails.

Racine county trails closed today and will probably stay closed until cold weather and increased snow depth on trails.
    The misty foggy rainy crap yesterday couldn't have helped. Started to look a little thin yesterday on the way up north. Only saw one sled south of Green Bay. Good snow didn't appear until maybe Crivitz?? Maybe a touch south of there, but nothing I would ride in

Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    The misty foggy rainy crap yesterday couldn't have helped. Started to look a little thin yesterday on the way up north. Only saw one sled south of Green Bay. Good snow didn't appear until maybe Crivitz?? Maybe a touch south of there, but nothing I would ride in
    Received pics yesterday from friends in Shano area riding with couples. Sleds looked muddy but as far north as they wanted to travel. It’s got to get colder central to southern WI to have good riding just too dang warm and wet for now. It’s all about condition expectations and we want goodish groom just can’t be done in wet and above freezing temps. My February schedule looking open for UP.

Whitedust you moved south??
    Rode central Wisco today. Mosinee,Weston, Glandon, Birnamwood. All good, low traffic too.

Walworth County Closed today 1-27-20 at 6:00am I did not get out as I was plowing all day Saturday and new many of the Chisel plowed fields were getting snirty/muddy with warm temps. But heard many of the trails were great and others not great but knew that would be the case. Nothing good to report as all warm temps this week and finally looks to cool off next week and freeze things up again. Then we need SNOW, lets hope next month is better for us.

6" of fresh white stuff heavy and wet fell yesterday in East Troy area. Reports are 5-7" on the northern half of Walworth county with less in southern half. Looks like everything set up nice over night with cold temps. Looks like more snow on Wednesday perhaps we will get going again here soon!

RS

Maybe in Walworth County but snow totals all over the place with Whitewater over 7”. Along RT 36 in Burlington was bare. Maybe northern Walworth can get trails open. Racine is doubtful wet and maybe 5 inches. I’m new here so maybe Racine will open but I don’t expect good conditions.

Maybe in Walworth County but snow totals all over the place with Whitewater over 7”. Along RT 36 in Burlington was bare. Maybe northern Walworth can get trails open. Racine is doubtful wet and maybe 5 inches. I’m new here so maybe Racine will open but I don’t expect good conditions.
    Yeah sounds like there is a sharp cut off from northern to southern part of Walworth county as well as to the east Racine/ Kenosha. National Weather service has a pretty good graphic showing snowfall totals that pretty much sums this up.

Confirmed. Twin Lakes (Southern Walworth/Kenosha) is a wet slushy mess.

About 8 inches yesterday,,, Wash. Co. is open. (think like north of Hwy 33 open, and think eastern Wash. co may still be closed)
    this snow was light and fluffy especially first 4 inches.. trails were bare dirt before snow fall so not expecting much. get it if you can all 40's next week.

Rock is open, Jefferson and Waukesha sound like they will open.

As far as Racine and Walworth co., I say open them up with an announcement as to the actual snow depths from north to south and let the riders decide. If not, this will just be another nail in the snowmobile coffin in SE WI.
    1st nail was having to get a trail pass for if and when it snows, and now the trails are held hostage by a few individuals.
    Ppl aren't dumb they will head back home when the trails suck.....yes I know...it's the "other guy" that's dumb and will be shootin' dirt rooster tails all over the county.....LOL....save it, Not true.

NWS calling for 3-5" wed night into Thursday, followed by wind and very cold for 2 days. Trails appear to be grooming up nice in Walworth county and if the snow comes should get a nice 4 day run of trails before the big warm up comes Monday. Sadly from Monday on looks to be 40-45 for at least a week. So this weekend may be it if the snow comes.

NWS calling for 3-5" wed night into Thursday, followed by wind and very cold for 2 days. Trails appear to be grooming up nice in Walworth county and if the snow comes should get a nice 4 day run of trails before the big warm up comes Monday. Sadly from Monday on looks to be 40-45 for at least a week. So this weekend may be it if the snow comes.
    Ride'em quick, probably closed again by Monday for the year; 40's for a week.

Bear

John says 1-3" for us other saying up to about 5" I think anything we get will help and likely for trails to open by Thursday I would hope. Just my two cents.

RS

John says 1-3" for us other saying up to about 5" I think anything we get will help and likely for trails to open by Thursday I would hope. Just my two cents.

RS
    Ya how will the cornfields be if we get 4-6 in ?

Manitowish Waters, WI and Village of Summit, Wisconsin

I agree that the trails should open down here in the southern part of the state especially Waukesha and Jefferson counties. We are responsible for part of the Drumlin trail and a trail north of Dousman, WI. It is ready to open as well as the Drumlin. I understand that there may still be water in spots but our nights have been cold now for two straight in the low teens. If they don't open them by Wednesday/Thursday there is really no point opening them this year as Sat/Sun the warmup begins and next week temps get pretty warm according to the weather forecasts (They could be wrong?) We also get people who are not club members, don't know the rules, and just go out whenever they feel and I have already seen tracks this morning even though trails remain closed, more will follow. Its 28 degrees at noon today and there is at least 6" of snow, trails were panned the other night and look pretty good considering what we have to work with. Let the people get a few miles on their sleds if they want to ride in these conditions, not everyone can get up to the Northwoods to ride. We honestly have probably had a total of about 4 weeks of open trails the last 3 years on our system, no complaints just want to see some of the people enjoy what we have for a few days while we have white. JMO

Rock is open, Jefferson and Waukesha sound like they will open.

As far as Racine and Walworth co., I say open them up with an announcement as to the actual snow depths from north to south and let the riders decide. If not, this will just be another nail in the snowmobile coffin in SE WI.
    1st nail was having to get a trail pass for if and when it snows, and now the trails are held hostage by a few individuals.
    Ppl aren't dumb they will head back home when the trails suck.....yes I know...it's the "other guy" that's dumb and will be shootin' dirt rooster tails all over the county.....LOL....save it, Not true.
    Hope the coffin never closes. I am the trail boss in the SW corner of the county and I have no concern whether they open or not. I'll be doing it every year until until somebody pries the post pounder from my hands! Once their gone, tough to ever come back.

Well said Snirtdawg! At 63 I enjoy this part of the Clubs activities, I too am Trail Boss for our Clubs trails and we have a pretty good group of guys that we can rely on that just like getting out and brushing and pounding stakes. Just like to see the trails open when we have the white that we have right now because down here it doesn't last very long as we all know. I do let the younger guys handle the post pounder most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by skidoo_derue View Post
    Great question, but I can say 80% of our corn field never got the disc this year due to the fall that we had with crops coming off late and everything being wet and then the quick cold/ snow. I welcome you to check out the pictures I posted to our clubs Facebook page yesterday to judge for yourself if you wish. Check out East Troy Snow Trojans on Facebook. Everything looks pretty good and ready to ride as pclark has stated here. With the cold temperature at night everything should have set up pretty good considering our location and amount of snow that we have. Waiting on ideal conditions around here is never going to happen, keep waiting and we will lose the opportunity. I am one that votes to open them as well and if people want to ride then let them. Either way I am a club member and VP of our club and used to be the trail boss. I understand what it takes to make the trails even happen and I put in the work every fall and spring with low assistance. It is frustrating when they don't get used as much as they should and we love to see people enjoy the hard work we put in. So hopefully we get them open soon around here!

RS

Hope the coffin never closes. I am the trail boss in the SW corner of the county and I have no concern whether they open or not. I'll be doing it every year until until somebody pries the post pounder from my hands! Once their gone, tough to ever come back.
    Post pounding ...as fun as that is ,...is done so we can ride.... not just to set up the trails.
    Your first objective is to open these trails....4" of snow.....thats it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pclark View Post
    Well said Snirtdawg! At 63 I enjoy this part of the Clubs activities, I too am Trail Boss for our Clubs trails and we have a pretty good group of guys that we can rely on that just like getting out and brushing and pounding stakes. Just like to see the trails open when we have the white that we have right now because down here it doesn't last very long as we all know. I do let the younger guys handle the post pounder most of the time.
    ditto

- - - Updated - - -

i will say it again...if you think it is your job to lourde over the trails until you see a perfect situation...that ain't happening.
    Last edited by snobuilder; 02-11-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skidoo_derue View Post
    Ryan summed it up well! From what I see after grooming, chisel plowed fields will be poor/fair but all other areas still had a base for the most part before last snow and should be good. On the plus side they are talking winds and drifting which can sometimes really drift in the trail and make even the plowed fields good. Also warm on Sunday but maybe a little more snow Monday and stays colder still like Wed of next week.

The latest for Waukesha County is Thursday morning. Conditions aren't going to get any better than they are now, 2-4" tonight (Reality is 1-2" of fluffy snow) but anything helps. Time to open them up!

Took a quick 75 mile rip last night in Wash. Co. Wasn't too bad if you know where to go. Woods were fine,,, little thin but smooth.
    open field were flat and fast. Ran about a mile thru one chiseld field that was awful,,, couldn't avoid it where i was going. I didn't get over 10 MPH.
    this is all in Harford, West Bend, Monches, Hubertus, and maybe a couple other hick towns.

U gotta ride it now while you can. It is what it is.

Well if it snows tonight, it looks like we will get the opportunity. How long it will last is the question? Time will tell. Ridindirty800 is right the forecast is looking better than initially thought chance of snow Saturday and Monday/ Tuesday and temperatures do not look like they will get out of control in the warm direction. So maybe they will last longer than we think. And for sure drifting after tonight's snow I am sure will help some parts as it usually does.

RS

Heading to Burlington the past couple days since it snowed it is painful to see the trails closed and unused....i'd actually feel a little better if someone...(kids?)... ran a few tracks down them. What I see now is a general disinterest in the sport in this marginal condition area of the state....really sad. 25-50 years ago before websites and call in trail reports the trails would have been ridden this week.
    Last edited by snobuilder; 02-12-2020 at 08:34 PM.

596D17B3-1823-4D59-ACA9-FAB6FAEEBEB2.jpeg

5EA89F69-6C37-4EBE-911F-ABCA8BC11346.jpeg
    Panned and groomed the trails from Elkhorn down to Delavan and Rt 14 on Monday. Lots of good, but many bad areas too.