Thread: Lake ice

Default Lake ice

Forecast looks promising, nothing above freezing for the next 10 days. As wet as the swamps are, they are going to need all the help they can get.

Ponds and swamps have already starting skimming over in MN. Single digits next week will start to lock stuff up. Ditches and swamps are stupid wet, so not looking good in that department.

Out in the swamps packing cat tails yesterday, and yeah, super wet - this will help them freeze up.
    IMG_7917.jpg

Kevin, That looks like fun! Lakes up on the northshore are freezing over already. That'll be nice to avoid the slush issues we've had the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Kevin, That looks like fun! Lakes up on the northshore are freezing over already. That'll be nice to avoid the slush issues we've had the last few years.
    It was fun until we broke through in a section that was a huge bog - mud over the tracks - STUCK! And walking out of there?? Not good.... But yeah, it was still fun, a lot better than sitting at this desk like I am today!!

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    Out in the swamps packing cat tails yesterday, and yeah, super wet - this will help them freeze up.
    IMG_7917.jpg
    That looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    It was fun until we broke through in a section that was a huge bog - mud over the tracks - STUCK! And walking out of there?? Not good.... But yeah, it was still fun, a lot better than sitting at this desk like I am today!!
    how far of a walk out, how did the recovery go? Thanks for putting in the hrs. for the club. Yup I agree with you would have been much better then sitting in the office, behind the desk.

That's nice now after you get more Snow you better pack it again with a Sled before the Groomer goes over it. I bet you have a mess to clean up now. Make sure you clean all the Brush and Seeds out or you could have a Fire next.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_l View Post
    how far of a walk out, how did the recovery go? Thanks for putting in the hrs. for the club. Yup I agree with you would have been much better then sitting in the office, behind the desk.
    About 40 feet through waist deep mud, then another 100 yards through water logged cat tails, we did our best to stand on the 'clumps' but yeah, soaked for sure. Then we had to sludge back out there, to hook onto it with a couple hundred feet of chain with the groomer and out she came. I know, I didn't get a pic of that, we just wanted to get it out before it sunk anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by longtrack View Post
    That's nice now after you get more Snow you better pack it again with a Sled before the Groomer goes over it. I bet you have a mess to clean up now. Make sure you clean all the Brush and Seeds out or you could have a Fire next.
    Cat tails get cleaned out of the radiator after each pass, and it gets washed out good. Driving it through the wet swamps after the stuck got a lot of mud out, but not all obviously.

Thin layer of ice on our lake today but the wind is breaking it up already. Sounds like warmer temps this weekend and late next week coming anyway, but it sure would be nice to get things frozen up good.

Ice on the bay behind Sports Center (Lake Mohawksin, Tomahawk)...12 degrees right now
    11-7-19.jpg
    ice 11-7-19.jpg

IMG_20191107_065340589.jpg Zero this morning. Things are getting firm fast. Even with the snow cover we have.

I had to go yell at some kids, walking out there yesterday (felt like the "get off my lawn" old fart...lol)....hate to see the little knuckleheads fall through.

Good for you, that's the right thing to do.

Yes we definitely need the cold especially early to freeze up overfilled swamps from the wet season we had but couldn't this early cold also mean early ice and shutdown of the lake effect snow machine?

7 degrees this morning....already 4 inches of ice in the bay (yesterdays pics)...starting to freeze across the river channel on Mohawksin.

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    Yes we definitely need the cold especially early to freeze up overfilled swamps from the wet season we had but couldn't this early cold also mean early ice and shutdown of the lake effect snow machine?
    A little aggressive there

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    A little aggressive there
    I know, not trying to be Debbie downer either, if it happens everyone can blame me, but lets hope it doesn't but could be a unwanted effect of the early cold. Believe me I don't want it to either.

Wish cold would come back.