Results 1 to 52 of 52
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NC IOWA
    Posts
    13

    Default Looking For Information

    I have been heading up to the Western U.P. for over 20 years and absolutely love the area and the people we have met, that being said a group of us are looking at heading to the Minnesota north shore for a ride late Feb or the 1st week of March. Any suggestions on what the trail system is like compared to the Yooper, places to stay , favorite stops etc. would be much appreciated. We usually ride Monday - Thursday. Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    couple guys here ride it hard..im sure ull get info shortly

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    12

    Default

    A few off the top of my head.

    North shore trail gets groomed regularly but is pretty popular.
    The Tomahawk trail is great if groomed. More technical/twisty than the NS trail.
    The Yukon trail is lesser known but is very fun.

    Tressel Inn is a staple for lunch. Very interesting place. They have rustic cabins you can rent.

    Sky port lodge on Devils Track lake is a good place to stay with several trail options including the Gunflint trail.
    Several good places to stay on the Gunflint as well including the famous Hungry Jack.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St Germain, WI
    Posts
    445

    Default

    I second the Trestle Inn.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    River Falls, WI
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Hit Blueberry Rd north of GM and stay over a night at Casino in Grand Portage. Awesome side roads to play on. Think it's like 41 miles from GM to GP. Been awhile since I been up the Arrowhead.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guzlair View Post
    I have been heading up to the Western U.P. for over 20 years and absolutely love the area and the people we have met, that being said a group of us are looking at heading to the Minnesota north shore for a ride late Feb or the 1st week of March. Any suggestions on what the trail system is like compared to the Yooper, places to stay , favorite stops etc. would be much appreciated. We usually ride Monday - Thursday. Thanks in advance
    Better trails , food , lodging , scenery plus the casinos , can't get any better than that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cloquet, MN
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guzlair View Post
    I have been heading up to the Western U.P. for over 20 years and absolutely love the area and the people we have met, that being said a group of us are looking at heading to the Minnesota north shore for a ride late Feb or the 1st week of March. Any suggestions on what the trail system is like compared to the Yooper, places to stay , favorite stops etc. would be much appreciated. We usually ride Monday - Thursday. Thanks in advance
    We have a cabin up near Finland and ride the shore every other weekend or more. I think you'll find much less traffic than you are used to in the UP, especially during the week. Even on the weeekends traffic up there is minimal. What you will find though is fantastic trails, just not as many. The NSST is an awesome high speed cruiser trail. You can run it hard and its awesome. The Tomahawk is fun, the trails up around Grand Marais and Lutsen are awesome. There aren't as many spots to stop and eat or drink though and the trails into those spots do get beat up on weekends. The off trail/forest road riding is fantastic. Any questions just shoot them at me and I'll try to answer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Beautiful area and nice trails, just not many of them. Imagine trail 3 in the Keweenaw, minus grade riding, with far less loops and off-shoots. Similar to that. A single main corridor trail.

    Mid-week you should be fine, but the weekend or close to it the area gets pounded pretty good. Grooming isn't up to the same standards/frequency as most of the western UP, in my opinion and experience. Could also be a factor of less trail volume and the traffic they see.

    Like others have said, WAY, way less places to stop for food and gas. Definitely feel like you are right next to a wilderness area (which you are).

    It is definitely a place any midwest/central US sledder should see and ride at least once, even if you don't ever go back.
    Last edited by ICT Sledder; 11-12-2019 at 01:19 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rogers, MN
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I have been riding the UP for 20 plus years also. I am from MN and have ridden almost every area in the state. I love the NS. I make at least one trip a year up there, even if it is a day trip(3 hours to Two Harbors from my house). We usually stay in Two Harbors at one of the hotels and trailer up to the parking area off the NSST north of Two Harbors. From there we have rode the NSST to Grand Marais with a stop for gas and a bite to eat in Tofte. Ride the NSST trail back. You can do a couple Lutsen and Tofte spurs along this ride. It is absolutely beautiful. We also ride from the parking area and do a nice loop on the NSST to the Trestle Inn then up to Isabella and back down to the parking area via the Yukon trail. This is a nice easy loop. We also have rode up the NSST and hit some of the Beaver Bay and Silver Bay trails then onto Finland, have a lunch then hit the Moose Walk and Moose Run then head over to the Timberwolf trail and take that to Isabella and then scamper back down the Yukon. A great last day ride is do the Pequaywan loop. About 80 miles and very enjoyable.
    There are limited gas stops but there is gas available. Same with food stops. We stop at Our Place Café in Finland, Trestle Inn, Knotted Pine in Isabella. Tofte has the Blue Fin Bay Inn. On the Pequaywan trail there is the Pequaywan Inn. There is gas in these areas also.
    Another nice area is up by Tower and Orr. From Orr you can have about 3-4 days of riding on beautiful trails. Grand Rapids is another beautiful area to ride with trails in every direction. There is virtually no traffic weekdays on the NS or anywhere else for that matter. You would be better off hitting the trails Tuesday to Friday since the clubs are catching up from the weekend warriors.
    I much rather ride the trails in MN than the UP. If I am off trail riding I rather ride in the UP. Just my 2 cents.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NC IOWA
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Thank you for the information so far any additional recommendations are much appreciated. Any way to get so trail maps for this area ahead of time?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rogers, MN
    Posts
    162

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,470

    Default

    I used to ride up there but haven't in many years. I'm no speed demon anymore, but 50 MPH speed limit during the day is nuts!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    I used to ride up there but haven't in many years. I'm no speed demon anymore, but 50 MPH speed limit during the day is nuts!!
    yea mark..crazy huh..thats why sleds dont leave MI anymore

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cloquet, MN
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    I used to ride up there but haven't in many years. I'm no speed demon anymore, but 50 MPH speed limit during the day is nuts!!
    The north shore doesn't have railroad grades to run wide open on. If you are running 50 MPH on the NSST you are hauling and probably not completely in control and a danger to others. Too many corners, etc.. Theres some forest roads and things you can open it up on that aren't designated trails but I really don't think the speed limit is a issue. Also in 15 yrs of riding here we've seen DNR on trails twice.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    I used to ride up there but haven't in many years. I'm no speed demon anymore, but 50 MPH speed limit during the day is nuts!!
    Personally, I don't mind it - and as elf said, if you are bookin 50+ in most areas on the NSST, you are really pushing it. Yukon, there are stretches where you can open it up to 70-80+ if that's your thing, just don't be following in the leaders dust coming into the next ~25mph corner.

    I've seen the DNR up there a hand full of times, and all but one time, they were sitting at a trail stop sign making sure you stop, and that you have a valid registration.

    If a 50mph limit is keeping you from riding in MN, you really are missing out.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rogers, MN
    Posts
    162

    Default

    The 50 mph speed limit has never hindered my riding in MN. I have very rarely seen law enforcement on the trails. I do ride fast and on most trails 50 is plenty fast. I do scoot along at 80 to 90 quite a bit. Never been stopped. Besides don’t you want to see some of the scenery? Those that complain about the speed limit have seem to have either never or rarely rode in MN.
    When there is snow in MN we have some of the nicest trails around and a lot more than the UP. My favorite areas are the NS, Grand Rapids/Hill City area, Orr, Baudette and north of Detroit Lakes.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowlover View Post
    The 50 mph speed limit has never hindered my riding in MN. I have very rarely seen law enforcement on the trails. I do ride fast and on most trails 50 is plenty fast. I do scoot along at 80 to 90 quite a bit. Never been stopped. Besides don’t you want to see some of the scenery? Those that complain about the speed limit have seem to have either never or rarely rode in MN.
    When there is snow in MN we have some of the nicest trails around and a lot more than the UP. My favorite areas are the NS, Grand Rapids/Hill City area, Orr, Baudette and north of Detroit Lakes.
    Michigan would probably get more riders in the UP if they had a speed limit , it's getting too crazy out there , I would be all for it , anybody else?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    642

    Default

    If anyone has some good loops 100+ miles from silver bay area I'm all ears. Safe to assume gas up when you see a stop?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cloquet, MN
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SledTL View Post
    If anyone has some good loops 100+ miles from silver bay area I'm all ears. Safe to assume gas up when you see a stop?
    A great loop would be to run the NSST north to the Tomahawk and up to the Trestle Inn. Follow the Tomahawk then to the Junction with the Yukon Trail, then follow that back down to the NSST and back north to Silver Bay. Another great run in south down the NSST to Gooseberry Falls, north to the Lutsen area. Don't forget to ride the Moosewalk trails and the trails thru Tettagouchee State Park between Silver Bay and Finland. Georges Gorge trail in Tettagouchee is one of my favorites.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    Personally, I don't mind it - and as elf said, if you are bookin 50+ in most areas on the NSST, you are really pushing it. Yukon, there are stretches where you can open it up to 70-80+ if that's your thing, just don't be following in the leaders dust coming into the next ~25mph corner.

    I've seen the DNR up there a hand full of times, and all but one time, they were sitting at a trail stop sign making sure you stop, and that you have a valid registration.

    If a 50mph limit is keeping you from riding in MN, you really are missing out.
    You're correct, the area down by Gooseberry State Park you can get booking on the NSST and short spots you can wick it up but overall its a curvy thing. The Yukon south of the Knotted Pine is fast and straight also. But if people don't want to ride up there because of the speed limit I say stay away. You don't know what you're missing and we won't miss you!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nc666 View Post
    Michigan would probably get more riders in the UP if they had a speed limit , it's getting too crazy out there , I would be all for it , anybody else?
    No. With the amount of grade trails in the UP, enforcing a speed limit would be like doing the same thing on the German Autobahn. People aren’t typically hauling in the UP on the tight stuff, so I guess I don’t see the problem.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    But if people don't want to ride up there because of the speed limit I say stay away. You don't know what you're missing and we won't miss you!
    I remember fairly closely when this site started, late 1990's early 2000's?? I had a cabin in Northern Sconnie in the Winter area for about 7-8 years. The number of off trail tracks steadily declined year after year after year until I sold it. Yeah, there were some down years in snow accumulation, but in general, it was a change in where the masses went. Trails stayed good longer as well. It was GLORIOUS! I'm sure the riding in MN changed around that time as well - all the stories of the big snow fast straight trails - it was awesome.

    So yeah, let's not let the cat out of the bag too quickly - oh wait, it already is......

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Osseo Wisconsin
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nc666 View Post
    Michigan would probably get more riders in the UP if they had a speed limit , it's getting too crazy out there , I would be all for it , anybody else?
    How many more riders do you want in the U.P. I have a picture from Pine Stump north of Newberry with over 300 sleds lined up. You couldn't get in the bar. Left and went to Red's Wolf Inn and there was 100 sleds there. 2nd to last Saturday of March. Just nuts!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    I used to ride up there but haven't in many years. I'm no speed demon anymore, but 50 MPH speed limit during the day is nuts!!
    it just makes no sense..sleds are not even gearing yet

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by nc666 View Post
    Michigan would probably get more riders in the UP if they had a speed limit , it's getting too crazy out there , I would be all for it , anybody else?
    what..really..we ride da yup because of their logic(lest for now)..and we dont need more riders..go to MN..nice and slow with trees

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Hancock, MI
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nc666 View Post
    Michigan would probably get more riders in the UP if they had a speed limit , it's getting too crazy out there , I would be all for it , anybody else?
    We would certainly get more riders.

    The local guys that I know who ride the trails stay off the trails on the weekends because of the insane speed.

    I would venture that speed limits are coming. Noise laws came and are enforced,. Speed laws are coming and will be enforced.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Hancock, MI
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    it just makes no sense..sleds are not even gearing yet

    - - - Updated - - -



    what..really..we ride da yup because of their logic(lest for now)..and we dont need more riders..go to MN..nice and slow with trees
    I'd like to see the trails made safer by making reasonable speed laws so that more locals could take part in something that is a lot of fun.
    It would be very enjoyable to take a ride to a restaurant on the trails without meeting and being passed by riders going 100 mph. It's just not something that most people like to do because of the inherent dangers. Riding is suppose to be stress relief not inducing.
    Have you considered racing so that you aren't turning the trails into a raceway, seriously?
    Maybe it's something you just don't get there, Mr. Part Time Yooper. The people that live here, all 3% of Michigans population, aren't here for life at 116 mph nor is it a keeping up with the Jones's competition.
    I digress because I can't speak for everyone AND I'm probably not like everyone.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Too far from the snow
    Posts
    3,095

    Default

    Turn signals too. We need turn signals.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Highland,IN.
    Posts
    423

    Default

    We need to enforce alcohol limits not speed limits. IMO

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandylake View Post
    I'd like to see the trails made safer by making reasonable speed laws so that more locals could take part in something that is a lot of fun.
    It would be very enjoyable to take a ride to a restaurant on the trails without meeting and being passed by riders going 100 mph.
    Nobody, in the history of snowmobiling has ever met, or been passed on a trail by someone going 100mph, and everyone is free to ride at whatever speed they're comfortable with.

    So, problem solved. Yoopers everywhere can rejoice.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    642

    Default

    We really just wanted some info on MN trails here....

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cloquet, MN
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SledTL View Post
    We really just wanted some info on MN trails here....
    Yeah, I was thinking that this got a bit off track when the speed limit issue came up. The north shore area has fantastic trails, incredible scenery, and generally excellent snow conditions. For spots to stay I'd start from Silver Bay/Beaver Bay and up the shore from there, more options for trails and loops. Gas stops and food/drink stops are further apart than you may be used to. Tons of forest roads to ride if you want to just explore. PM me if you have any specific questions, I've rode all the trails/roads/creeks/rivers you can find up there.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Too far from the snow
    Posts
    3,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SledTL View Post
    We really just wanted some info on MN trails here....
    I thought this thread was about how inconsiderate people ride too fast in the UP

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Georges Gorge trail in Tettagouchee is one of my favorites.
    Followed my son through this trail last year with the GoPro - super fun!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Waterville MN
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SledTL View Post
    We really just wanted some info on MN trails here....
    Have been pointed to routes by both elf and xcr440 in northern mn if you take there advice you won't be disappointed, your only problem will be finding enough vacation time to go back

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowchief View Post
    Have been pointed to routes by both elf and xcr440 in northern mn if you take there advice you won't be disappointed, your only problem will be finding enough vacation time to go back
    Been doing my research on the trails they suggested, so I am excited to get out there in January. I do need to get a forest map to go play on some roads, I found some stuff on a government website, but its hard to compare where sled trails and roads matchup.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Waterville MN
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SledTL View Post
    Been doing my research on the trails they suggested, so I am excited to get out there in January. I do need to get a forest map to go play on some roads, I found some stuff on a government website, but its hard to compare where sled trails and roads matchup.
    When I was on the North shore I got my superior national Forest map at the holiday station in tofte I believe it's a nice source but is huge, probably could get one sent to you

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cloquet, MN
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowchief View Post
    When I was on the North shore I got my superior national Forest map at the holiday station in tofte I believe it's a nice source but is huge, probably could get one sent to you
    I've had a Superior National Forest map in my jacket pocket for 13 yrs. Don't really take it out that often anymore but its a great resource. It doesn't show snowmobile trails on it but you can generally tell where you are.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    close to the edge.
    Posts
    8,086

    Default

    all lies north shore,sucks keep going to the UP

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    all lies north shore,sucks keep going to the UP
    Yeah. That's what I thought after our first trip up there last year. Cleaned 10" of fresh powder off the truck the morning we had to head home. Just terrible. We won't be back.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SledTL View Post
    We really just wanted some info on MN trails here....
    ha..good luck with that

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandylake View Post
    I'd like to see the trails made safer by making reasonable speed laws so that more locals could take part in something that is a lot of fun.
    It would be very enjoyable to take a ride to a restaurant on the trails without meeting and being passed by riders going 100 mph. It's just not something that most people like to do because of the inherent dangers. Riding is suppose to be stress relief not inducing.
    Have you considered racing so that you aren't turning the trails into a raceway, seriously?
    Maybe it's something you just don't get there, Mr. Part Time Yooper. The people that live here, all 3% of Michigans population, aren't here for life at 116 mph nor is it a keeping up with the Jones's competition.
    I digress because I can't speak for everyone AND I'm probably not like everyone.
    then why do u ALWAYS speak like your speaking for EVERYONE..once again your opinion over every one elses..

    how do u know what the locals like to do..just cause you and wifey are too scared to ride because your skill level sux..doesnt mean that all yoopers like to ride your way..its total BS..if u want to put along to a restaurant..take your car, go off trail thru the woods or walk..

    its your skill level thats scary..putting along at 40 mph because your worried..

    this obviously isnt the sport for u

    theres a rocking chair on your porch that shouldnt be too stressful
    Last edited by POLARISDAN; 11-19-2019 at 11:32 PM.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    then why do u ALWAYS speak like your speaking for EVERYONE..once again your opinion over every one elses..

    how do u know what the locals like to do..just cause you and wifey are too scared to ride because your skill level sux..doesnt mean that all yoopers like to ride your way..its total BS..if u want to put along to a restaurant..take your car, go off trail thru the woods or walk..

    its your skill level thats scary..putting along at 40 mph because your worried..

    this obviously isnt the sport for u

    theres a rocking chair on your porch that shouldnt be too stressful
    I usually agree with most of what you say, but pushing riders out of the sport because they don't want to fly down a trail at YOUR speed is not going to help. LOTS of people like to just cruise comfortably, or "Put Put" as you call it. Do I ride like that? No, I'm pretty aggressive, but that doesn't mean people who want to ride slower should be looking for the safety of a rocking chair and leave the sport.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    I usually agree with most of what you say, but pushing riders out of the sport because they don't want to fly down a trail at YOUR speed is not going to help. LOTS of people like to just cruise comfortably, or "Put Put" as you call it. Do I ride like that? No, I'm pretty aggressive, but that doesn't mean people who want to ride slower should be looking for the safety of a rocking chair and leave the sport.
    My now wife and I will be joining those that "just cruise comfortably" not that we were ever aggressive riders by any means but starting this year we will be taking it back a notch, our choice, our preference and the way I see it if others don't like it oh well. Will admit there was the day we went from point a to b as fast as we could but I'm past that, just because there are no speed limits doesn't mean it has to be driven like the autobahn, so there will be two more "slower" people on the trail this year.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Hancock, MI
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    then why do u ALWAYS speak like your speaking for EVERYONE..once again your opinion over every one elses..

    how do u know what the locals like to do..just cause you and wifey are too scared to ride because your skill level sux..doesnt mean that all yoopers like to ride your way..its total BS..if u want to put along to a restaurant..take your car, go off trail thru the woods or walk..

    its your skill level thats scary..putting along at 40 mph because your worried..

    this obviously isnt the sport for u

    theres a rocking chair on your porch that shouldnt be too stressful
    I'm not speaking for everyone nor does this have anything to do about my skillset. I like to look around and see things, it's a huge reason that I ride off trail because I like to adventure. Riding the trails doesn't offer up a lot of adventuring after you been on them all.
    Admittedly I don't understand the point of going as fast as you can on a trail, it's not a raceway, it would be nice if the racers found a place to race and the trails were for trail riding.
    Just because I don't peg it between stop signs doesn't mean that this sport isn't for me. It doesn't take a lot of skill to go fast on a trail so I don't understand why you think it does, it's not like racing. Explain that to me.

    So my son is a throttle junkie, he loves how his RMK hooks up on a trail, but it's a 155 and I bought it for him because he likes to off-trail, hit the polelines and ditches. I think we are going to do our first out west mountain trip this year which should be really cool. He too thinks the trails are kinda bananas.
    We live just north of Hancock right on trail 13 and last year, even though he is too young, he and his buddy rode out to our cabin last winter, once. He said it was "sketchy" and this year has no plans to do that again, gonna put it in the back of his Tacoma and drive it up so he can ride. Yeah, sure I probably have some influence on him so theres that but yet its undeniable that the trails can be a little crazy to a lot of people.
    And btw, my son is a rider. Last winter I got him a CR125 and we totally went through it and he pretty much sucked but he was riding smart, within his limits and learning how to ride a dirt bike. Three months in (lost a month due to a broken collarbone) hes hitting 80% of the jumps and trying to make his bike go faster and faster. The 125 class is so fun! Even though he was starting to get loose, after really working on the fundamentals, it was after our South Range Snowmobile Club track AMA event that it really clicked for him. It's amazing to see him going off 60 foot tables and hitting the 30's with great air control and trying to do cool looking tricks even its its him spread eagle off the pegs. So much fun.
    At the same time it's a race bike and not a trail bike. One trail ride, with very little experience, got him the broken collarbone not long after he got the bike. Like, it would be cool to take a F1 car to the grocery store but also silly, same with taking a race bike on the trail...that's what his Raptor is for.

    Anyways, I'm rambling, but be an advocate for our sport instead of being a bully about wanting me, and others, to rocking chair myself off into the sunset so you can be 100% on the pipe.


    p.s. there is no more wife and is that is pretty wonderful to me!*

    *doesn't mean I reccomend it to everyone.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    I usually agree with most of what you say, but pushing riders out of the sport because they don't want to fly down a trail at YOUR speed is not going to help. LOTS of people like to just cruise comfortably, or "Put Put" as you call it. Do I ride like that? No, I'm pretty aggressive, but that doesn't mean people who want to ride slower should be looking for the safety of a rocking chair and leave the sport.
    thats not my point..as anybody who rides with me knows..we dont so much care about the slowbies..its about how he determines that HIS way is the RIGHT way and anybody else is wrong..i really dont care if hes slow..we will wait respectfully or pass when safe..

    it his assumptions that r wrong..most riders ride average or better speed..the MINORITY ride like their grandmas(hence the rocker)..get it?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    My now wife and I will be joining those that "just cruise comfortably" not that we were ever aggressive riders by any means but starting this year we will be taking it back a notch, our choice, our preference and the way I see it if others don't like it oh well. Will admit there was the day we went from point a to b as fast as we could but I'm past that, just because there are no speed limits doesn't mean it has to be driven like the autobahn, so there will be two more "slower" people on the trail this year.
    curious what a "now" wife is..as in got rid of the "before" one?

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandylake View Post
    I'm not speaking for everyone nor does this have anything to do about my skillset. I like to look around and see things, it's a huge reason that I ride off trail because I like to adventure. Riding the trails doesn't offer up a lot of adventuring after you been on them all.
    Admittedly I don't understand the point of going as fast as you can on a trail, it's not a raceway, it would be nice if the racers found a place to race and the trails were for trail riding.
    Just because I don't peg it between stop signs doesn't mean that this sport isn't for me. It doesn't take a lot of skill to go fast on a trail so I don't understand why you think it does, it's not like racing. Explain that to me.

    So my son is a throttle junkie, he loves how his RMK hooks up on a trail, but it's a 155 and I bought it for him because he likes to off-trail, hit the polelines and ditches. I think we are going to do our first out west mountain trip this year which should be really cool. He too thinks the trails are kinda bananas.
    We live just north of Hancock right on trail 13 and last year, even though he is too young, he and his buddy rode out to our cabin last winter, once. He said it was "sketchy" and this year has no plans to do that again, gonna put it in the back of his Tacoma and drive it up so he can ride. Yeah, sure I probably have some influence on him so theres that but yet its undeniable that the trails can be a little crazy to a lot of people.
    And btw, my son is a rider. Last winter I got him a CR125 and we totally went through it and he pretty much sucked but he was riding smart, within his limits and learning how to ride a dirt bike. Three months in (lost a month due to a broken collarbone) hes hitting 80% of the jumps and trying to make his bike go faster and faster. The 125 class is so fun! Even though he was starting to get loose, after really working on the fundamentals, it was after our South Range Snowmobile Club track AMA event that it really clicked for him. It's amazing to see him going off 60 foot tables and hitting the 30's with great air control and trying to do cool looking tricks even its its him spread eagle off the pegs. So much fun.
    At the same time it's a race bike and not a trail bike. One trail ride, with very little experience, got him the broken collarbone not long after he got the bike. Like, it would be cool to take a F1 car to the grocery store but also silly, same with taking a race bike on the trail...that's what his Raptor is for.

    Anyways, I'm rambling, but be an advocate for our sport instead of being a bully about wanting me, and others, to rocking chair myself off into the sunset so you can be 100% on the pipe.


    p.s. there is no more wife and is that is pretty wonderful to me!*

    *doesn't mean I reccomend it to everyone.
    your very confusing..u obviously must have skills and your kids..so why all the crying about the trails? speed is what it is..proper riding doesnt infringe or danger others..its the idiots i worry about and watch for EVERY curve..so why cant u..

    bthcin about it and crying does nobody any good..speed is not the issue..RECKLESS is...we post 90 plus all the time..never one issue all my years UP here..of course i ride alot at nite..but hard to hit hundo at nite cuz of our 4 legged friends

    so quit complaining..do your thing..we will do ours

    p.s.(as u did) u brought UP your scared wife...aaannnddddddd

    IMO-just sayin- its the MINORITY 40 mph riders that create more DANGER than the fast riders..cuz its slows MAJORITY down and the STOPPED riders on trail are even worse

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Too far from the snow
    Posts
    3,095

    Default

    Rode in MN once. Nice and remote way up there. Didn’t seem like anywhere near the traffic. A little too far from where I’m coming from or I’d go back

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    630

    Default

    curious what a "now" wife is..as in got rid of the "before" one?[/QUOTE]

    POLARISDAN, yes I am divorced, my previous wife wanted nothing to do with the sport, for a while in my posts would refer to my "now wife" as fiancé as she was, for being first timer 3 years ago driving her own sled, she instantly fell in love with sport, we have worked together for 5 years, lived together for three of them, I asked her to marry me while we were in the UP 2 years ago and we were just recently married on November 9th. Last year we had an accident on the trail, not related to speed or careless driving, was an accident, she ended up with cadaver acl in her knee and repair to her meniscus, but... we made reservations again for this year before we left last, and im sure we will be a little slower on trail this year as she will be a little more apprehensive on the sled, but she didn't quit and I am so happy and lucky to have someone that shares in the love of the outdoors and the sports that go with it with me.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    thats not my point..as anybody who rides with me knows..we dont so much care about the slowbies..its about how he determines that HIS way is the RIGHT way and anybody else is wrong..i really dont care if hes slow..we will wait respectfully or pass when safe..

    it his assumptions that r wrong..most riders ride average or better speed..the MINORITY ride like their grandmas(hence the rocker)..get it?
    I get it, and it makes sense to me. I just don't want people leaving the sport because they think they aren't riding fast enough. At the same time, as you pointed out, they have to know riders like yourself, are out there to enjoy SPEED at times. Its the nature of our sport. I think you and I are on the same page.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Osseo Wisconsin
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    curious what a "now" wife is..as in got rid of the "before" one?
    POLARISDAN, yes I am divorced, my previous wife wanted nothing to do with the sport, for a while in my posts would refer to my "now wife" as fiancé as she was, for being first timer 3 years ago driving her own sled, she instantly fell in love with sport, we have worked together for 5 years, lived together for three of them, I asked her to marry me while we were in the UP 2 years ago and we were just recently married on November 9th. Last year we had an accident on the trail, not related to speed or careless driving, was an accident, she ended up with cadaver acl in her knee and repair to her meniscus, but... we made reservations again for this year before we left last, and im sure we will be a little slower on trail this year as she will be a little more apprehensive on the sled, but she didn't quit and I am so happy and lucky to have someone that shares in the love of the outdoors and the sports that go with it with me.[/QUOTE]

    I remember when you were talking about that last year. I hope her recovery is going well, and I'm glad that it hasn't thrown her out of the sport. Good luck to her and an uneventful future riding experience. In a good way.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Hancock, MI
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    I get it, and it makes sense to me. I just don't want people leaving the sport because they think they aren't riding fast enough. At the same time, as you pointed out, they have to know riders like yourself, are out there to enjoy SPEED at times. Its the nature of our sport. I think you and I are on the same page.
    Most people like to be on the serious pipe once and a while, once and a while.
    There is a time and a place for everything.
    A time to pipe, a time to pour down the beers and a time to chill and see the world.
    ...maybe I'm a little too protective? If I get wounded and I have about a year to recover before it gets ugly and I put my children in jeopardy as I am the soul provider. I have to take care of my kids after what they have been through.
    Their mom just left them and moved thousands of miles away 3 years ago. I am their pillar as they are mine.

  51. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    curious what a "now" wife is..as in got rid of the "before" one?
    POLARISDAN, yes I am divorced, my previous wife wanted nothing to do with the sport, for a while in my posts would refer to my "now wife" as fiancé as she was, for being first timer 3 years ago driving her own sled, she instantly fell in love with sport, we have worked together for 5 years, lived together for three of them, I asked her to marry me while we were in the UP 2 years ago and we were just recently married on November 9th. Last year we had an accident on the trail, not related to speed or careless driving, was an accident, she ended up with cadaver acl in her knee and repair to her meniscus, but... we made reservations again for this year before we left last, and im sure we will be a little slower on trail this year as she will be a little more apprehensive on the sled, but she didn't quit and I am so happy and lucky to have someone that shares in the love of the outdoors and the sports that go with it with me.[/QUOTE]

    oh yea..i remember that post bout it..well good news on the recovery and her not quitting..hope she fares well this year..

  52. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    630

    Default

    oh yea..i remember that post bout it..well good news on the recovery and her not quitting..hope she fares well this year..[/QUOTE]

    Thank you! much appreciated from both of us!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» December 2019

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31 1234

» Stats

Members: 20,182
Threads: 27,716
Posts: 328,025

» Online Users: 226

25 members and 201 guests
Most users ever online was 2,946, 07-12-2019 at 02:11 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0