Results 1 to 46 of 46

Thread: Groomer Tracker

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default Groomer Tracker

    When I first heard about this new way to track groomers, I was a bit hesitant and wasn't sure what to think about it. As grooming director of our club, I was looking for a way to inform riders when our trails were groomed by posting a "schedule" on our website. The problem with that is there are so many variables for when groomers can go out; weather and snow conditions, volunteer groomers personal schedules etc. All I could think about is getting complaints like "your website said trail 8 would be groomed Friday night and it wasn't" and so on. So I decided to dig into this and I presented it at our last club meeting and not a single person voted against it. If fact, most said why wouldn't we do it? There is no cost to the club and we can actually earn a bit of money, which really is not what motivated me as I don't see it as a big money maker for our area compared to say the Western UP. The cost to the snowmobiler is $10 per year per area covered by a participating club. Half of that $10 goes to Groomer Tracker for their expenses for the hardware etc., and half goes back to the club. I wanted to talk to a club that has experience with this so they gave me Mike Olsen's phone # from North Country Snowmobile Club out of Ontonagon. He is very satisfied and it has even been a good money maker for them due to the volume of riders that purchased it UP there. He can track where his groomers are, and if they break down or have an issue, he can see exactly where they are and what road is best to get there to assist. Most of the Western UP clubs are part of the program, including Gogebic, Superior, North Country and Keweenaw.

    I encourage you to go their website, www.groomertracker.com, and watch the short video, "Watch How It Works". It will show you where groomers are and the trails are color coded to show when the groomer last groomed that trail. You can touch a particular trail and it will tell you when it was last groomed, right down to how many hours and minutes ago. The app also shows sponsors, where they are located, their phone #, website and Facebook pages. I hope you will take the time to check out their website and support this great idea and all of the sponsors.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Twin Cities
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    Thanks for posting.
    I have heard about the app, but never really looked into the details. I'm curious to hear which clubs are using the app? I can see real benefit if all clubs are on board. We often plan our daily rides in the morning just before leaving. It is a guessing game at times.
    Another benefit that I see is having the trail map. I use paper, IOS, and GPS maps. The online maps are incorporated into the gauge I'm using. I also have a handheld GPS.
    I do have a question about pricing if anyone knows the details? Is the price per season only for one club and device? The wording states that we need to purchase data for the club we want access to. I'm not sure if the package also includes the other trails and data if we purchase for one club. I'm assuming we would only get groomer data for paid club access.
    I can obviously find this out by calling. Hoping to help some other riders answer a few questions.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Good question favoritos. I went to their website and have copied and pasted the below. It sounds like you can see the trails of participating clubs, but only get the groomer info once you have paid the fee. If you wanted all 4 clubs in the Western UP, it would cost you $40 per year, but keep in mind, $20 of that $40 goes to the clubs.

    Riders:
    The app is free to download. As a free user you will be able to see the trails in participating club areas as well as sponsors near those clubs.
    If you want to see where the groomers are or have been, you will need to purchase the data for each club that you want access to.
    The data for each club is $10 for the season.
    (50% of the profit from each purchase is split with the club to help their grooming operation)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waterford,WI
    Posts
    10,188

    Default

    Mark you should look into GTS Trails. Itís free and I use it all the time in the WI Northwoods and tells me by color code what I need to know regarding groom timing. Imo the app your talking about is $10 per club maybe real time idk but free is free just so you know whatís available. Any groomer app really doesnít tell you how the groom set or what the trail quality is like so donít over expect for good conditions for any app. Jmo and 2 cents.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Yep, this is real time whitedust, did you check out their video on how it works? We will be installing tracking systems in our groomers, not calling in reports. It even shows you where groomers are at if they are out, which can be a safety thing as well. I'd rather help out the clubs than worry about it being free. I'm not sure how GTS Trails gets their info, they may have to rely on someone letting them know, where this is tracked live. I just went to GTS Trails website and it tells you very little. It also looks like it is only available in Wisconsin at this point, doesn't help in the UP. I've never been contacted by them so not sure how they would ever update our trails.
    Last edited by mspease; 11-23-2019 at 01:50 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    mark..no way to say this sensitively..but this app is bad for trail systems..leave the money out..

    now every idiot can go beat a fresh trail and within 1 hour its done..i hate it..i heard about and was flaming pissed last year..its a groomers nitemare(the groomer to groomer thing is different)..aholes will be following em and destroying their good work..

    we know grooming patterns by spending the money to be there..riding the different times day and night..and know when they go...now every ahole will just show UP and kill it..

    I HATE IT

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern WI
    Posts
    151

    Default

    As I understand it. GTS is used in WI as an extension of the SNARS trail billing system, removing the need for much of the paper. As a side benefit, the GTS App can provide you with a 6 hour delayed view of groomer traffic for those clubs that are using it. It is not mandatory to use but I guess it will be soon. We are not using it yet in Three Lakes. It's about $200 per groomer and not separately funded by the WI program, so its on the clubs dime...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    I was waiting for someone to respond like that Dan, just didn't think it would be you. Maybe I did. I've had people say, "well people will just follow the groomer" and I have to laugh. I groom at 9-10mph in most cases, I don't know anyone that will follow a groomer around at that speed, especially you at 100 mph. LOL But the bigger point is, how often do you see a groomer out in daylight hours? It's a waste of time and money. We groom after dark for safety, but mostly because traffic is way down after dark and trails can set up overnight. By the time I do my second pass heading back to the groomer shed, it's getting close to midnight and the trail has all night to set up with no traffic. You know that as you ride mostly at night and rarely see other sleds out after midnight. A well groomed trail that has had the chance to set up overnight will hold together well the next day. Any grooming done during the day with high traffic will not hold up for even 20-30 sleds, so it's a complete waste!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waterford,WI
    Posts
    10,188

    Default

    I believe Vilas voted for all clubs to use the GPS system 2 years ago and I believe GTS gets their information thru that system. Idk what the UP does but usually trails are pretty good during the week. Either app is good and will become more and more popular.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South and North Wisconsin
    Posts
    238

    Default

    No doubt, the internet has changed the sport. As an ex groomer of over thirty years, I cringe every time someone sounds the alarm on here that we have ridable snow. We see trailers parked everywhere, people dropping to ride, and we're usually down to dirt before lunch. Never mind that the perfect ribbon I laid at three AM got destroyed before I even had time to get home, suit up, and take the family out for an early morning breakfast ride.
    I cant help but think that with these handy dandy groomer apps, the only trails that will get ridden, will be the freshly groomed ones.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rhodes
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    I cant help but think that with these handy dandy groomer apps, the only trails that will get ridden, will be the freshly groomed ones.
    That's presuming there is wide-spread adoption of that type of app. I've seen quite a few of the "here's what's been groomed" apps and systems over the years since smartphones were a thing. They all have great concepts, a legitimate need/desire and each has their own solution to the issues. For example this one is generating revenue to pay for the system and encourage clubs with revenue by charging customers for that grooming data.
    Others have tried to do it for free. Some have given the tracking equipment away. Lots of variables.

    As others have stated, doesn't take much to negate the effects of grooming. For wide-spread adoption and "success", you'd need to have consistent positive results for the customer, such as knowing of and enjoying well groomed trails more often than hitting them after they are beat.

    To be honest, the more success, the less likely well-groomed trails will be encountered.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.
    Posts
    2,394

    Default

    In the Mich UP on any given weekend in the winter it is hard to keep the trails perfect just because of the intense traffic. I doubt if groomer apps will help or hurt the situation. Just too much traffic. In Wisc where I spend most of my time there is generally less traffic. We usually don't have too much trouble figuring out what is groomed and what isn't. And sometimes it does not matter as there is only one way to get somewhere and you are going to ride that section whether it is freshly groomed or not.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oglesby, IL
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    I don’t think the app itself is necessarily bad. Gives a descent idea of what trails have been groomed recently and which haven’t, especially in bigger sledding areas of Wisconsin, like Minocqua, Eagle River, Hayward, etc... where there can be 5 different ways (and I am looking at the trail map between Minocqua to Sayner/Boulder/Manitowish right now) to get from one place to another. I am not referring to places that Grub was referring with one trail between 2 spots.
    I see it like this. During the week when traffic tends to be less a group can look up which trails have been groomed in the AM and allowed to setup overnight. Obviously not all trails are groomed every night so it allows riders to maximize their riding. On weekends and holidays it would benefit those who get up early and hit those trails. This will offer less benefit for late afternoon and early evening riders but hey, your riding on the weekend and holidays what do you expect. Early night riders might actually do more damage by not allowing the trail to setup, as this can take anywhere from 2-6 hours. There’s a big difference between a groomed trail and a setup trail.
    Last edited by durphee; 11-24-2019 at 01:40 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)
    Posts
    3,221

    Default

    1.
    Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Ö In Wisc where I spend most of my time there is generally less traffic. We usually don't have too much trouble figuring out what is groomed and what isn't. Ö
    Just my observation from reading trail reports on this forum for many years, but never mind "what's groomed and what isn't", it may be challenging enough just to figure out which trails are open in Wisconsin, what with the fact that every 10 square mile section seems to set their own rules as well as opening and closing their trails, with no apparent county or statewide plan or coordination other than utter chaos.

    (But what do I know, I ain't no sled jockey, not in Wisconsin or anywhere else. )

    2.
    Quote Originally Posted by durphee View Post
    ÖI donít think the app itself is necessarily bad. Gives a descent [sic] idea of what trails have been groomed recently and which havenít Ö
    A descent idea on the downhill stretches, with an ascent idea on the uphill stretches?

    TheDevilMadeMeDoIt.jpg
    Last edited by frnash; 11-24-2019 at 03:44 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Twin Cities
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    I honestly didn't expect the type of response I've seen here.
    I would have never thought in the direction of people chasing a fresh groom. I don't like to ride them. I prefer a good setup snow.
    It is tough at times to know if the trail has been touched in the last few days, or at all. The trails that have not been touched can be the deal breakers. It is amazing how bad they can get with traffic through unfrozen holes, bare boulders, and miles after mile of leg burners. I usually try to get a good idea by reading trail reports. I enjoy reading the reports. They help a lot. I can see the benefit in using the tracker to verify some trail sections. Sometimes the reports can be a little generous to how much of a trail section was done.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    durphee,

    That's how I look at it also. I used to always lead our group, but lately I've let some of the younger riders take over. They still rely on me to plan the days route, and of course, they want smooth trails. I think this tool will help with that greatly! We base out of Gogebic, and there are several routes you can take, so knowing what has been groomed and when will be a huge help and save time searching for the groomed trails in the morning! We try to be off the trails after 5PM as most busy trails are pretty beat up by 3PM or earlier. We then enjoy some food and beverages and I insist we are on the trails no later than 8AM. If it were up to me, it would be 7AM. Heck, we need to make the most of it while we can, the season is short. Many people travel a long way to ride UP there and they get one trip a year. If this can help them enjoy the experience more, they are more likely to come back and spend money with the local businesses and let friends and family know also. It's a win, win.

    favoritos,

    Not the responses I expected either! I prefer to see the glass half full. Negativity is just part of almost every thread the past few years.


    Those that think this is a good idea need to push their local clubs to get signed up (it will cost them nothing) as there aren't many in Wisconsin at this point.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Too far from the snow
    Posts
    3,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    mark..no way to say this sensitively..but this app is bad for trail systems..leave the money out..

    now every idiot can go beat a fresh trail and within 1 hour its done..i hate it..i heard about and was flaming pissed last year..its a groomers nitemare(the groomer to groomer thing is different)..aholes will be following em and destroying their good work..

    we know grooming patterns by spending the money to be there..riding the different times day and night..and know when they go...now every ahole will just show UP and kill it..

    I HATE IT
    Agree. Plus Iím not sure every groomer wants any random slender to know where he is out grooming at any time either.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    I was waiting for someone to respond like that Dan, just didn't think it would be you. Maybe I did. I've had people say, "well people will just follow the groomer" and I have to laugh. I groom at 9-10mph in most cases, I don't know anyone that will follow a groomer around at that speed, especially you at 100 mph. LOL But the bigger point is, how often do you see a groomer out in daylight hours? It's a waste of time and money. We groom after dark for safety, but mostly because traffic is way down after dark and trails can set up overnight. By the time I do my second pass heading back to the groomer shed, it's getting close to midnight and the trail has all night to set up with no traffic. You know that as you ride mostly at night and rarely see other sleds out after midnight. A well groomed trail that has had the chance to set up overnight will hold together well the next day. Any grooming done during the day with high traffic will not hold up for even 20-30 sleds, so it's a complete waste!
    no mark..its not following the groomers..its knowing which trails were groomed the night before..if ebody knows which are and arent, then they piss pound them in the morning..

    let me xplain..

    i generally know exactly what time 3 is groomed.. i also know 12 is every 3 days..i also know the approx time sidnaw is done..but its just guesswork and my experience..

    if its not..then ebody knows and its a show..

    it just a terrible idea..nobody should know where they are and when they go unless they figure it out themselves

    bad bad idea
    Last edited by mspease; 11-24-2019 at 10:21 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    No doubt, the internet has changed the sport. As an ex groomer of over thirty years, I cringe every time someone sounds the alarm on here that we have ridable snow. We see trailers parked everywhere, people dropping to ride, and we're usually down to dirt before lunch. Never mind that the perfect ribbon I laid at three AM got destroyed before I even had time to get home, suit up, and take the family out for an early morning breakfast ride.
    I cant help but think that with these handy dandy groomer apps, the only trails that will get ridden, will be the freshly groomed ones.
    yup..heard

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    close to the edge.
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    we talked about it in our club a few times .I am not on board with using a tracker in the tickets.
    want to know what has been groomed join a club and get involved in it . I want to know what has been hit I call the trail captain to find out who was out grooming last night . same with surrounding club's I call the captains and ask .
    we run a all volunteer deal so not all grooming can be done at night can get done when guys have time to do it . I could give 2 craps less if some guy with zero skin in the game can't find a fresh ribbon

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    If only we all could spend 2-3 months UP there every winter we could maybe figure out the grooming patterns also! LOL

    Do you continue to abbreviate words you shouldn't on this site on purpose? I would think you would have figured it out by now.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durphee View Post
    I don’t think the app itself is necessarily bad. Gives a descent idea of what trails have been groomed recently and which haven’t, especially in bigger sledding areas of Wisconsin, like Minocqua, Eagle River, Hayward, etc... where there can be 5 different ways (and I am looking at the trail map between Minocqua to Sayner/Boulder/Manitowish right now) to get from one place to another. I am not referring to places that Grub was referring with one trail between 2 spots.
    I see it like this. During the week when traffic tends to be less a group can look up which trails have been groomed in the AM and allowed to setup overnight. Obviously not all trails are groomed every night so it allows riders to maximize their riding. On weekends and holidays it would benefit those who get up early and hit those trails. This will offer less benefit for late afternoon and early evening riders but hey, your riding on the weekend and holidays what do you expect. Early night riders might actually do more damage by not allowing the trail to setup, as this can take anywhere from 2-6 hours. There’s a big difference between a groomed trail and a setup trail.
    thats ok bro..we will rip em before the morning anyways

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oglesby, IL
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    PD, i don’t count you as a early night rider....you’re definitely later than that!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eleva,WI
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Nothing will replace the general knowledge of an area that only one can get from repeatedly riding in said area. Just because the app says it was groomed 10 hours ago doesn't mean it will be good, just as a trail that was groomed days ago will be bad. If anything grooming will increase if clubs know the are being tracked. That could be a big positive.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade View Post
    If anything grooming will increase if clubs know the are being tracked. That could be a big positive.
    I agree renegade, in fact that was part of my presentation to the club.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    no mark..its not following the groomers..its knowing which trails were groomed the night before..if ebody knows which are and arent, then they piss pound them in the morning..

    let me xplain..

    i generally know exactly what time 3 is groomed.. i also know 12 is every 3 days..i also know the approx time sidnaw is done..but its just guesswork and my experience..

    if its not..then ebody knows and its a show..

    it just a terrible idea..nobody should know where they are and when they go unless they figure it out themselves

    bad bad idea
    I am up there even less than P.D. but we both have the same question; when the poop does trail 109 south (south of Krupps) off of trail 3 occur?
    WORST TRAIL I EVER RODE LAST WINTER and maybe ever! I felt sorry for the sled.
    Yes, this was after the groomer was unstuck and/or repaired and moved off the trail.

    Bear

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
    I am up there even less than P.D. but we both have the same question; when the poop does trail 109 south (south of Krupps) off of trail 3 occur?
    WORST TRAIL I EVER RODE LAST WINTER and maybe ever! I felt sorry for the sled.
    Yes, this was after the groomer was unstuck and/or repaired and moved off the trail.

    Bear
    That's a neat trail... when it's groomed.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    If only we all could spend 2-3 months UP there every winter we could maybe figure out the grooming patterns also! LOL

    Do you continue to abbreviate words you shouldn't on this site on purpose? I would think you would have figured it out by now.

    no..i scaled back but sometimes forget..ill keep trying not to..just bad habit

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
    I am up there even less than P.D. but we both have the same question; when the poop does trail 109 south (south of Krupps) off of trail 3 occur?
    WORST TRAIL I EVER RODE LAST WINTER and maybe ever! I felt sorry for the sled.
    Yes, this was after the groomer was unstuck and/or repaired and moved off the trail.

    Bear
    that one is weird..i think sidnaw takes it to alston, and superior has it from 3 to alston..but its a no go for me cuz its rough in the trees always

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    I agree renegade, in fact that was part of my presentation to the club.
    i dont understand his point..why would grooming increase if they have a groomer tracker..i would have thought grooming is maxed out and running as much as can be afforded

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    i dont understand his point..why would grooming increase if they have a groomer tracker..i would have thought grooming is maxed out and running as much as can be afforded
    No, grooming is not maxed out. We are all volunteers down here and there are just some nights when you just don't feel like going out and you end up staying home. It's easy to come up with an excuse not to go out. No club is going to let a good groomer go if they miss a few shifts. Luckily, I have 12 groomers right now. If riders are able to see exactly if you are out and when you were last out, you are more likely to suck it up and get out there and groom. People are watching and counting on you. I feel there will be less shifts that are missed as a result, but just my opinion.

    Regarding trail 109. Wouldn't it be nice to know if you were at the bar in Sidnaw, and wanted to get back up to Twin Lakes, that 109 was groomed up to trail 3 recently? If it hadn't been touched for 3 days, we all know what a nightmare that can be on that trail, so you decide to take trail 12 and hit Rousseau Bar and into Mass and back up to Twin Lakes. That is just one example of how I think this will benefit planning rides.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Grange, IL
    Posts
    938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post

    Regarding trail 109. Wouldn't it be nice to know if you were at the bar in Sidnaw, and wanted to get back up to Twin Lakes, that 109 was groomed up to trail 3 recently? If it hadn't been touched for 3 days, we all know what a nightmare that can be on that trail, so you decide to take trail 12 and hit Rousseau Bar and into Mass and back up to Twin Lakes. That is just one example of how I think this will benefit planning rides.
    That's a trick question for PD...everyone knows he'd be at the Rousseau bar anyways and he loves trail 12!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonnevier View Post
    That's a trick question for PD...everyone knows he'd be at the Rousseau bar anyways and he loves trail 12!
    now dat der is funny...

    but thats a good point mark.. i had no idea groomers didnt run shifts..i assume thats wisco..but does that happen in western MI?

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    now dat der is funny...

    but thats a good point mark.. i had no idea groomers didnt run shifts..i assume thats wisco..but does that happen in western MI?
    I can't speak for the Western UP, but I do think some of their groomers get paid (Gogebic always used to) and with the amount of snow and traffic UP there, I'm sure they try to keep a pretty good schedule. I try to keep a consistent schedule down here too, but it can be like herding cats. You still have the issue of groomers not feeling like going out, groomers being down for repairs etc. For instance, how many trails do you think get groomed the night of the Super Bowl? That is just an example, but those type of things do affect getting out. We have to remember, the better experience riders have, the better chance they will be back, especially first time riders or first time to the area. We need to do everything we can to grow the sport. A bad experience by taking the wrong trails typically means they won't be back.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PART TIME YOOPER
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    I can't speak for the Western UP, but I do think some of their groomers get paid (Gogebic always used to) and with the amount of snow and traffic UP there, I'm sure they try to keep a pretty good schedule. I try to keep a consistent schedule down here too, but it can be like herding cats. You still have the issue of groomers not feeling like going out, groomers being down for repairs etc. For instance, how many trails do you think get groomed the night of the Super Bowl? That is just an example, but those type of things do affect getting out. We have to remember, the better experience riders have, the better chance they will be back, especially first time riders or first time to the area. We need to do everything we can to grow the sport. A bad experience by taking the wrong trails typically means they won't be back.
    so its economics too..which i get..so then do the bars by u kick in? no idea about the yoop..but ud think so

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    so its economics too..which i get..so then do the bars by u kick in? no idea about the yoop..but ud think so
    Yep, bars, restaurants, snowmobile dealers, resorts, mini-marts etc. join the club for $250.00 per year and are posted on our map. We currently have 14 business sponsors in our area alone. They are very helpful with fundraisers etc.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rhodes
    Posts
    158

    Default

    $10 per year per area covered by a participating club.
    68 grooming entities in MI. ~15 in "western" UP.

    Not saying good/bad, just currently working on infographic showing which trails are maintained by which clubs, so had info handy.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Clifford
    Posts
    1

    Default

    When I first heard about this new way to track groomers, I was a bit hesitant and wasn't sure what to think about it. As grooming director of our club, I was looking for a way to inform riders when our trails were groomed by posting a "schedule" on our website. The problem with that is there are so many variables for when groomers can go out; weather and snow conditions, volunteer groomers personal schedules etc. All I could think about is getting complaints like "your website said trail 8 would be groomed Friday night and it wasn't" and so on. So I decided to dig into this and I presented it at our last club meeting and not a single person voted against it. If fact, most said why wouldn't we do it? There is no cost to the club and we can actually earn a bit of money, which really is not what motivated me as I don't see it as a big money maker for our area compared to say the Western UP. The cost to the snowmobiler is $10 per year per area covered by a participating club. Half of that $10 goes to Groomer Tracker for their expenses for the hardware etc., and half goes back to the club. I wanted to talk to a club that has experience with this so they gave me Mike Olsen's phone # from North Country Snowmobile Club out of Ontonagon. He is very satisfied and it has even been a good money maker for them due to the volume of riders that purchased it UP there. He can track where his groomers are, and if they break down or have an issue, he can see exactly where they are and what road is best to get there to assist. Most of the Western UP clubs are part of the program, including Gogebic, Superior, North Country and Keweenaw. SOme high quality payday loans you could find here https://directloantransfer.com/

    I encourage you to go their website, www.groomertracker.com, and watch the short video, "Watch How It Works". It will show you where groomers are and the trails are color coded to show when the groomer last groomed that trail. You can touch a particular trail and it will tell you when it was last groomed, right down to how many hours and minutes ago. The app also shows sponsors, where they are located, their phone #, website and Facebook pages. I hope you will take the time to check out their website and support this great idea and all of the sponsors.
    I think the best way is to add some Whatsup and Telegram integrations. So the people could have immediate notification in the schedule change?
    Last edited by samml; Yesterday at 05:46 AM.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Munising
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    mark..no way to say this sensitively..but this app is bad for trail systems..leave the money out..

    now every idiot can go beat a fresh trail and within 1 hour its done..i hate it..i heard about and was flaming pissed last year..its a groomers nitemare(the groomer to groomer thing is different)..aholes will be following em and destroying their good work..

    we know grooming patterns by spending the money to be there..riding the different times day and night..and know when they go...now every ahole will just show UP and kill it..

    I HATE IT
    I agree 100% - We already have the groomer followers..... The trails will never set up.
    Our club uses GPS Trackit with cameras. We have discussed sharing this info but the logic and reason prevailed.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Munising
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    No, grooming is not maxed out. We are all volunteers down here and there are just some nights when you just don't feel like going out and you end up staying home. It's easy to come up with an excuse not to go out. No club is going to let a good groomer go if they miss a few shifts. Luckily, I have 12 groomers right now. If riders are able to see exactly if you are out and when you were last out, you are more likely to suck it up and get out there and groom. People are watching and counting on you. I feel there will be less shifts that are missed as a result, but just my opinion.

    Regarding trail 109. Wouldn't it be nice to know if you were at the bar in Sidnaw, and wanted to get back up to Twin Lakes, that 109 was groomed up to trail 3 recently? If it hadn't been touched for 3 days, we all know what a nightmare that can be on that trail, so you decide to take trail 12 and hit Rousseau Bar and into Mass and back up to Twin Lakes. That is just one example of how I think this will benefit planning rides.
    They are allowed to just blow off a shift?!?!?!!? We require operators to find some one to fill in if they are not going to make it out on their scheduled shift. We use geo fences with gps trackit so coordinators can see if tractor does not go out.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLARISDAN View Post
    mark..no way to say this sensitively..but this app is bad for trail systems..leave the money out..

    now every idiot can go beat a fresh trail and within 1 hour its done..i hate it..i heard about and was flaming pissed last year..its a groomers nitemare(the groomer to groomer thing is different)..aholes will be following em and destroying their good work..

    we know grooming patterns by spending the money to be there..riding the different times day and night..and know when they go...now every ahole will just show UP and kill it..

    I HATE IT
    I also have to agree completely, I'm not an electronics guy by any means, don't use gps and definitely don't follow groomer apps either, if by chance we come across a groomer we respectfully favor side of trail that is ungroomed as safely as we can. its hard for freshly groomed trails to stay that way during the day but the idea is to allow the groomer through and allow the trail to set up. I realize this also depends on temperature and snow conditions but I will agree being able to follow and track groomers.... A BAD IDEA!

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    close to the edge.
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    we talked about it and pretty much all aggred not to put them in out 2 tuckers .
    If I want to take some people on a nice trail ride I will make a call and find out where the tuckers were the night before or just look who drove that night and know what was hit in my local hood any way .
    Funny thing is the few times I have had people ask me about this app or how they can find out grooming schedule at say the trail shelter or dealer events etc . They are peopke I have never seen at a brushing or marking event . I attempt to talk with them about local club meeting times and places they have the same interest in that as I have in giving them groomed trail advice

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    S.E. Wisconsin
    Posts
    2

    Default

    We installed it last year and really like it. I believe there is a 6 hour delay built into the system so people cant follow the groomers. The state will probably require clubs to install tracking units within the next couple years.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcb View Post
    We installed it last year and really like it. I believe there is a 6 hour delay built into the system so people cant follow the groomers. The state will probably require clubs to install tracking units within the next couple years.
    No delay in the system other than a few minutes. I can track exactly where my guys are at and once they’re parked for the night so I can sleep well.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    S.E. Wisconsin
    Posts
    2

    Default

    That only if your logged in as a Admin. The app the public has access to for free has a delay built in just for that reason.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcb View Post
    That only if your logged in as a Admin. The app the public has access to for free has a delay built in just for that reason.
    You must be talking about the app WI uses, GTS Trails. That app only updates once a day, so the trails could be pretty beat up by the time it updates. The app this thread is about can be found at www.groomertracker.com. In order to see what trails have been groomed, it costs $10 per season for the area a club grooms. 50% of the fee goes back to the club as discussed above. The app updates every minute or two while it sends and receives data.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waterford,WI
    Posts
    10,188

    Default

    If you follow GTS Trails you can figure out what clubs are having groomer break downs and frequency of the grooming efforts. If you know the trails and usual traffic patterns you will know what trails to ride and trails that are rougher than a cob. It works for me knowing the problem areas.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    I'm not worried about myself, I want the sledders that come up to the northwoods and keep our industry alive to have the best experience possible. Whatever works for each individual is great. GTS Trails may update as time goes on since I'm sure any year now, the AWSC will require clubs to have a gps system to track grooming hours for funding, rather than the manual system most clubs are still using.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» October 2020

S M T W T F S
27282930 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

» Stats

Members: 20,295
Threads: 28,785
Posts: 341,017

» Online Users: 378

11 members and 367 guests
Most users ever online was 2,946, 07-12-2019 at 01:11 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Mike25 (51)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0