Thread: Ever Try This?

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Default Ever Try This?

Back in the day...YES. But today they'd probably lock up the parents for Child Neglect.

Towing.jpg

Dad would tow us behind one of the farm tractors when the roads were snow covered and slippery. Down a country road with a barking dog chasing close behind.

Thinking back....I'm just lucky to be here!

Ya when we were kids we would lay down and grab the back bumper of a 1979 Polaris TX 340 with steel cleated track and ride around our neighborhood loop on our bellys on snowdays. Until dad came home, saw what we were doing and put the fear of god into us. We broke cleats all the time. Why not put our faces right next to them.... Ya lucky to be alive!! Looking at that picture reminds me of watching amish kids ski behind the buggies around here. They do their own version of "ditch banging" LOL

Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.

That would be abuse. Neglect is when you leave them alone. These kids were along for the ride.

We did that every time it snowed back in the sixties! The faster the better, used your feet to stop by catching the bumper!

I remember those days well.

The dogs chasing us usually grabbed at your wrists and ended up tearing the cuffs on our coats.

Don~

We would occasionally grab onto the tow hook on the back of the school bus & skijor on our boots or shoes for a couple of blocks. Ahh yes, the good ole days. -Mezz

did that tons of time, on sleds, and ski's too
    I recall once, I was driving truck, pulling a buddy on ski's, he kept yelling faster, we got up to about 70 and and he lost it, was like a cartoon movie, watching him go flying past us as we slowed down and well, he looking like a snowball getting larger and larger as he rolled tumbled and flew thru the air at times LOL
    he ended up with a few broken ribs

BIT I will add, he was wearing a helmet, MX chest protectors and some other assorted MX pads of the day
    so that maybe saved him
    after that one, I quit that stuff, I was pretty sure at the time I might have killed him,
    but in the end, he laughed it up and called it quits too!!

but I recall also, when they didn;t really plow roads, they got all hard packed with snow, and be that way for weeks or months
    and you would wait at stop signs and red lights and grab bumpers on buses, cars trucks and go for a ride for a few blocks or till you wanted to let go!
    did tons of that as a kid
    almost miss that stuff, as I think it shaped me a lot, where kids today? just don;t get them cheap thrills and l;earn some of the things we did by being a little NUTS maybe!
    glad I grew up when I did! might not have all been safe, but was sure fun at times

we did a lot of bumper riding in da 70's , wait for car to stop at stop sign and run out and grab hold of bumper and see who could hold on the longest !!

Quote Originally Posted by byr 13 View Post
    we did a lot of bumper riding in da 70's , wait for car to stop at stop sign and run out and grab hold of bumper and see who could hold on the longest !!
    We called it bumper skitching. Things sure have changed. Can't even find a bumper to grab.

When I was a kid in the 70's, early 80's, when we had snow, my dad would take us sledding down lynches hill on Irish road. It made the perfect sledding hill, blacktop underneath with a few inches of snow on top. We either grabbed the metal railed flexible flyer, or all 4 of us would jump on the toboggan and fly down the hill. No real care for the fact this was a road, and could be used by vehicles. I share this story with my kids now and the wonder how I survived.