Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western U.P. Paulding
    Posts
    2,251

    Default Watersmeet Trail Reports

    Watersmeet trails are getting groomed today 12-2 Both groomers will be heading in the same direction. They will be working together to clear 1 trail at a time. Keep an eye out they could have the trail blocked around the next corner. Help the clubs out, bring a saw and help move trees if you're are going to ride. Be careful and keep your speeds down you don't know what could be under the snow until the groomer goes through. About 24+ inches on the ground

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,532

    Default

    Thanks for the report Mrsrb!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western U.P. Paulding
    Posts
    2,251

    Default

    Trail 3 from the Wisconsin border north of Bond Falls has been groomed along with Trail 2 east of Watersmeet. There will be an area of of logging on trail 3 north of Bond Falls Rd. Caution is needed is this area. Trail 2 west to Marenisco and trail 13 south to Cisco will be groomed today. There is plenty of snow!!

    DSCF4244.jpg DSCF4274.jpg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,532

    Default

    Great to see! That amount of snow should keep the rocks hidden this year!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rhinelander WI
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Mrsrunningbear, will 3 north to bruce crossing and 107 to kenton be cleared and groomed by the weekend? Any info you have on north and east of watersmeet would be appreciated. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portage Wi/Marenisco Mi
    Posts
    15

    Default

    We were out there yesterday and its all good to go. Just an fyi 107 is Iron River club

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western U.P. Paulding
    Posts
    2,251

    Default

    7-8 inches of new snow yesterday U.P. Thunder Riders will be grooming daily.

    Trail #3 from the Wisconsin border to Paulding, good condition, north end has a logging project so please use caution and respect the loggers. South end a snowmobiler hit a bridge and took the railing out so use caution until we get it repaired

    Trail #2 west of Watersmeet, good condition, may have a small water hole that is passable about 20 miles west of Watersmeet

    Trail #2 east of Watersmeet to Trail #107, good condition

    Trail #13 south to Cisco Chain, good condition

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western U.P. Paulding
    Posts
    2,251

    Default

    Grooming daily and the trails are in very good condition, but we do have some water areas West of Watersmeet on Trail #2. Please ride with caution on this 30 mile stretch of trail. We are doing the best we can with these water areas, they are difficult to deal with.

    Trail #3 from the Wisconsin border to Watersmeet very good condition, Watersmeet to Paulding good condition with 1 wet area that is passable, 2 logging project on this trail one north of Forest Rd 5250 (trail 150) and the other is north of Bond Falls Rd so please use caution and respect the loggers

    Trail #2 west of Watersmeet, good condition but several wet areas, the worst wet area is in the Tunnel it is full of water about 8-12 inches it has a concrete bottom so you won't get stuck .

    Trail #2 east of Watersmeet to Trail #107, good condition

    Trail #13 south to Cisco Chain, good condition

    DSCF4523.jpg DSCF4508.jpg

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    757

    Default

    thanks for the update
    is there still water in tunnel, or did it drain or freeze up
    thank the club for everything

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    pleasant prairie wi
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just_ride View Post
    thanks for the update
    is there still water in tunnel, or did it drain or freeze up
    thank the club for everything
    I went through the tunnel on Friday and it is fine can’t remember if it was completely frozen but very passable.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western U.P. Paulding
    Posts
    2,251

    Default

    Thunder Riders are grooming daily and the trails are in very good to excellent condition. All water areas are gone including in the tunnel.

    Trail #3 from the Wisconsin border to Watersmeet very good condition, Watersmeet to Paulding very good condition. We have 2 logging project on this trail one north of Forest Rd 5250 (trail 150) and the other is north of Bond Falls Rd so please use caution and respect the loggers.

    Trail #2 west of Watersmeet to Trail #1 south, very good condition

    Trail #2 east of Watersmeet to Trail #107, very good condition

    Trail #13 south to Cisco Chain, very good condition

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South central WI
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    We rode your trails this past week and they were great,however i'm wondering about trail 3 north of trail 2 it seems that you guys stop where the logging starts and it was all whooped up after the logging area when we went through on Monday morning and it was untouched by the groomer when we returned Monday night. I only ask because when we turned the corner the sign clearly says entering Watersmeet trail system and when we got past the logging area we found a freshly groomed trail and it appeared that the groomer turned around where the logging started on the south end.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    pleasant prairie wi
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EXCESSIVE FORCE View Post
    We rode your trails this past week and they were great,however i'm wondering about trail 3 north of trail 2 it seems that you guys stop where the logging starts and it was all whooped up after the logging area when we went through on Monday morning and it was untouched by the groomer when we returned Monday night. I only ask because when we turned the corner the sign clearly says entering Watersmeet trail system and when we got past the logging area we found a freshly groomed trail and it appeared that the groomer turned around where the logging started on the south end.
    I noticed the same last week also! Fortunately it is only a couple miles or so but it is getting bad.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western U.P. Paulding
    Posts
    2,251

    Default

    Yes, we have a driver who will be going to the other side of the north logging area tonight. The loggers were plowing all the way through that area so no point for the groomer to go thru. The driver last night noticed they were nnot plowing any more so they will investigate tonight

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    pleasant prairie wi
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Good to hear Mrs. Runningbear trail trails have been great so tell the group to keep up the good work and thank you.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South central WI
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsrunningbear View Post
    Yes, we have a driver who will be going to the other side of the north logging area tonight. The loggers were plowing all the way through that area so no point for the groomer to go thru. The driver last night noticed they were nnot plowing any more so they will investigate tonight


    THANKS for all you guys do UP there...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    757

    Default

    trails in good shape....thanks
    lots of people rolling in today
    should be a busy weekend
    Braaaaap!!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    pleasant prairie wi
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Have confirmation that the barrels were put on the Cisco chain also but was told don’t venture off the main path stay by the barrels.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Merrill,Wi - Mass City,Mi weekends
    Posts
    604

    Default

    I have noticed Trail 2 east Watersmeet has not been good this year until I hit the Iron Range Trail. Today I was going south from Bruce and when I hit the Watersmeet
    Trail and It was bad again. Then here comes the Groomer, he is going at a good clip and not one of the Cutting Blades are hitting the Trail when He went by us. He was dragging the Pan only and was pretty much not helping anything. My Daughter even noticed and ask me why the Groomer wasn't doing anything.
    When I got down to 5250 I took the Iron Range Trail down to 2, It was great. Then rough as **** back to Watersmeet just after it was Groomed. I have Groomed for the last 20 years and someone should tell this operator to slow down and start cutting. Or sell that 8000 series Tractor and get a smaller one, a 6000 Series will drag the pan just fine. This is a problem that can easily be fixed with proper training. The same thing was happening up around South range this year and it seems to be better lately. I hate to complain, but someone has to say something.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portage Wi/Marenisco Mi
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longtrack View Post
    I have noticed Trail 2 east Watersmeet has not been good this year until I hit the Iron Range Trail. Today I was going south from Bruce and when I hit the Watersmeet
    Trail and It was bad again. Then here comes the Groomer, he is going at a good clip and not one of the Cutting Blades are hitting the Trail when He went by us. He was dragging the Pan only and was pretty much not helping anything. My Daughter even noticed and ask me why the Groomer wasn't doing anything.
    When I got down to 5250 I took the Iron Range Trail down to 2, It was great. Then rough as **** back to Watersmeet just after it was Groomed. I have Groomed for the last 20 years and someone should tell this operator to slow down and start cutting. Or sell that 8000 series Tractor and get a smaller one, a 6000 Series will drag the pan just fine. This is a problem that can easily be fixed with proper training. The same thing was happening up around South range this year and it seems to be better lately. I hate to complain, but someone has to say something.
    X2 on the complaining part but You are absolutely correct with your assessment of the grooming. I have personally witnessed the same thing.They will blame it on the traffic or what ever else they can

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western U.P. Paulding
    Posts
    2,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longtrack View Post
    I have noticed Trail 2 east Watersmeet has not been good this year until I hit the Iron Range Trail. Today I was going south from Bruce and when I hit the Watersmeet
    Trail and It was bad again. Then here comes the Groomer, he is going at a good clip and not one of the Cutting Blades are hitting the Trail when He went by us. He was dragging the Pan only and was pretty much not helping anything. My Daughter even noticed and ask me why the Groomer wasn't doing anything.
    When I got down to 5250 I took the Iron Range Trail down to 2, It was great. Then rough as **** back to Watersmeet just after it was Groomed. I have Groomed for the last 20 years and someone should tell this operator to slow down and start cutting. Or sell that 8000 series Tractor and get a smaller one, a 6000 Series will drag the pan just fine. This is a problem that can easily be fixed with proper training. The same thing was happening up around South range this year and it seems to be better lately. I hate to complain, but someone has to say something.
    Complaining or commenting is OK with me

    Quote Originally Posted by MATTR View Post
    X2 on the complaining part but You are absolutely correct with your assessment of the grooming. I have personally witnessed the same thing.They will blame it on the traffic or what ever else they can
    funny you think we would need to put blame something.

    We know when we're having problems. Just so you know the problem is we have new drivers learning how to groom. It takes time to learn the job, unfortunately the new guys are driving the weekends. It will get better

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    pleasant prairie wi
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Mrs. bear thanks for the update, I meet Kelly about a month ago and he said he retired from grooming and up thunder riders had to get some new drivers so I was aware there would be a learning curve and have noticed a difference at least on 2 west since the beginning of the season. Unfortunately not everyone knows what is going on in a club at all times so they don’t understand the circumstances. And anyone who has ridden the Watersmeet area consistently will know that 3 north to 2 east is the fastest way to get north so it gets well used and beat up especially on the weekends. Also the short stretch on 2 west between 13 to Cisco and 13 north to Lake Gogebic because fastest way to Lake Gogebic, no different than 3 between Mass city and Houghton.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» January 2020

S M T W T F S
293031 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1

» Stats

Members: 20,216
Threads: 27,980
Posts: 331,053

» Online Users: 193

13 members and 180 guests
Most users ever online was 2,946, 07-12-2019 at 02:11 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0