Default Carbide question

I need to replace the carbides on my 05 Renegade and noticed that they don't stick through the top of the ski and bolt on from the top. They are tucked into the side of the ski on the bottom. So I'm wondering if the previous owner put after market skis on. I'm not locating this type of carbide so was wondering if anyone is familiar with this type of ski or carbide so I can find some.

Ski-Doo used two (2) wear bars on each ski on several models. The bars have studs that go thru the ski and saddle.

Sounds like aftermarket. I have an Doo 07 GSX which should be the same as yours and as the previous post said, it has 2 wear bars on each ski (Pilots have an inside and outside bar on them). They bolt on thru the ski, the bar studs go up thru the ski and the nut is on top.

There are two bars underneath each ski but they don't bolt through the top. I guess I have to figure out what ski those are.

Dan, I never paid much attention to the carbides because it didn't have very many miles on it when I sold it but since I was the previous owner I can tell you that the skis are the ones that came new on the sled. I do know that my 04 Summit ran an unusual carbide setup that sounds a lot like yours but that was whole different ski so it might not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by dooski_dan View Post
    There are two bars underneath each ski but they don't bolt through the top. I guess I have to figure out what ski those are.
    Post a picture on here. Pretty sure somebody will know what ski it is.

Looking at the skidoopartshouse parts diagram, the carbides bolt through the ski mounting plates so the studs serve a dual purpose. This may be why it isn't obvious how they bolt to the ski.

As I previously indicated, I bought the sled new so I know the skis were stock when I sold it. The carbides are available here:

https://www.skidoopartshouse.com/oem...ension-and-ski

Quote Originally Posted by mikedrh View Post
    Ski-Doo used two (2) wear bars on each ski on several models. The bars have studs that go thru the ski and saddle.
    Sorry. when I said the "saddle" I guess some call it the mounting plate.

Sorry. when I said the "saddle" I guess some call it the mounting plate.
    Saddle Up! Actually, the more accurate term is "saddle" because that's really what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by skiroule View Post
    Saddle Up! Actually, the more accurate term is "saddle" because that's really what it is.
    You never know with BRP. They have some unusual descriptions for stuff.

Picked up motor mounts for a Ski-Doo and the description on the package says it's a "Tampon". Turns out that's french for "anchoring buffer".

Picked up motor mounts for a Ski-Doo and the description on the package says it's a "Tampon". Turns out that's french for "anchoring buffer".
    Awesome! Thanks for making me snort a bunch of beer foam.

Thanks for the info Kelly. I tried to post pictures to here but they won't load. I guess I'll take off a ski and see how the bars come off. The ones listed on that site you posted are stock so I could always go with those.

No problem Dan. With the Ski Doo part # (860200148), you should be able to find alternatives (Woody's etc.) that fit. Looks like Ski Doo sold a lot of sled years/models that use that carbide. Good Luck!

If those are the stock ski's from 2005, I think Ski-Doo called them "Precision Skis". There are 2 identical carbide runners per ski, mounted on the inside and outside edges, the plastic ski forms kind of a tunnel in between. They came out when the first gen REV chassis came out around 02/03, and Ski Doo ran them until 06 or 07 I think, then they got replaced by the "Pilot Skis" which they are still running today, or variation thereof. IIRC Ski Doo got a lawsuit slapped on them by Simmons (aftermarket ski company), Ski Doo's Precision ski was kind of a copy of the existing Simmons design. Should be able to find good aftermarket (Stud Boy, Woodys, etc.) to directly fit your Precision Skis.