Thread: Northern MN

Default Northern MN

Grand Rapids to Lutsen to Duluth to I-Falls the last 10 days - put on 2085 miles!

Trails were FANTASTIC - hats off to all the Groomer operators and trail coordinators that have things in really good shape up there!! Ride while you can, March is just around the corner!!

No need to ask about specific trails, they all have good snow, as long as they get groomed, and EVERYTHING was being groomed!!

IMG_3140.jpgIMG_3192.jpgIMG_3265.jpgIMG_3291.jpgIMG_3307.jpgIMG_3383.jpgEAXM8858.jpgIMG_3320.jpg

Nice pictures!! Heading up to voyageurs area March 4th-7th unless something changes and it's better somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by snowchief View Post
    Nice pictures!! Heading up to voyageurs area March 4th-7th unless something changes and it's better somewhere else.
    Buddy stayed up and threw down 278 yesterday from Cook to I-Falls to Crane Lake to Tower and back - said it was all groomed up, EVERYTHING, except the Voyagers portage trails - apparently they are NOT pulling the sled drag through the portages this year.

That's good to hear. Enjoy following your riding this year you must be piling up the smiles. I haven't been able to get away as much this year got my boy just started wrestling this year and daughter is involved with vball and basketball which is fun also but not the same lol, does not grooming the portages mean that the trail to kettle falls isn't groomed either I wonder, that's about the only longer portage if my memory is accurate.

He did go by Kettle Falls, I can't remember exactly where that is - but the 25mph portage trails are the ones he said are not being groomed - including the one that is 6+ miles. Lakes are flat as a pancake up there though.

Miles: Almost 6k this year so far, with trips the next two weekends for sure.

Damn, thats some serious seat time. Might have to link up with you some time as you seem to find the good stuff!

The National Park Service was grooming all of the land portages in Voyageurs once a week around Tuesdays. We have been on them a few times in the past few weeks and they were very good on Thursday but you could not tell they were ever groomed by Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    The National Park Service was grooming all of the land portages in Voyageurs once a week around Tuesdays. We have been on them a few times in the past few weeks and they were very good on Thursday but you could not tell they were ever groomed by Saturday.
    This makes sense then - should be groomed today if they hold schedule!

I did 450 miles up there Friday Saturday and Sunday. Saturday it was in the 50s and a little slush and bare spots in a few corners. But grooming should've cleaned those up.
    I went for a 80 mile rip Monday am and found some fresh groomed trails. Was really wanting to stay!

We rode out of Finland on Friday and Saturday and trails were excellent. Ran up to Devils Track and back on Friday and then parts of the Tomahawk and Yukon on Saturday and they were all good. Still plenty of snow everywhere.

going up Friday night with a group of 4 in the Duluth area. Trails should be solid right? thx.

[QUOTE=oldguy;490571]The National Park Service was grooming all of the land portages in Voyageurs once a week around Tuesdays. We have been on them a few times in the past few weeks and they were very good on Thursday but you could not tell they were ever groomed by Saturday.[/QUOTE

Put on 275 on Saturday and 254 on Sunday. Crane Lake groomer was out both nights. Some of the portages in Voyagers got groomed on Saturday night, the one by the cross lakes trail did. Arrowhead was very good on Saturday, but for the amount of snow they have gotten up there I was surprised at the lack of base in some of the areas. Hope they get another snow storm in the next few weeks. Worst section of trail was Sunday night between Echo Lake and Buyck. Got sick of it and jumped on the Vermilion River Trail south. Didn't see one sled on trails after 5:00 on Sunday.

Getting a little nervous about middle to late trip up there next weekend, worried there won't be much lube on the lakes or trails

Getting a little nervous about middle to late trip up there next weekend, worried there won't be much lube on the lakes or trails
    May need scratchers in the mornings, but after a few sleds go through, there is still plenty of snow up there. Lakes were smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    May need scratchers in the mornings, but after a few sleds go through, there is still plenty of snow up there. Lakes were smooth.
    Only time we had problems with overheating was the last 5 miles on Lake Vermilion on Sunday night. You're right about the flat part. Vermilion was as good as any railroad grade. Flat and fast.😁 Lakes in Voyagers had more snow on them for lube. It was 19 degrees on Saturday night when we got to Voyager's on Crane Lake and never had one problem overheating all day even though it was 50 degrees out. It was a beautiful weekend.

Trying to decide between crane lake area or gunflint for next wed-sat anyone been riding the gunflint up there? Or anyone riding both know which had better base?

Trying to decide between crane lake area or gunflint for next wed-sat anyone been riding the gunflint up there? Or anyone riding both know which had better base?
    All I can tell you is that with grooming Lake Vermilion north should all be very good or better.

I’m looking for some input on the best place to stay and ride this Sunday-Tuesday. I do most of my riding in the UP and northern Wisconsin so I’m not really familiar with northern Minnesota. I did ride the Gunflint last March which was really nice. A quick little trip with my son now that hockey season is over and before I leave for Mexico late next week. Was thinking Grand Rapids area unless anyone knows of some better areas. Thanks

http://www.antlerlodge.com/

I stayed there last weekend. Right on the trail with quick access to the Taconite state trail.
    Under $80 a night for a nice cozy room with 2 beds.
    North of Grand Rapids and plenty of great trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbide View Post
    http://www.antlerlodge.com/

I stayed there last weekend. Right on the trail with quick access to the Taconite state trail.
    Under $80 a night for a nice cozy room with 2 beds.
    North of Grand Rapids and plenty of great trails.
    Shhhh - don’t be giving away secrets!!

It’s a bit of a pain to drive to, but trails will be awesome basing out of there.....

It’s a bit of a pain to drive to, but trails will be awesome basing out of there.....
    What about side lake you ever base there?

What about side lake you ever base there?
    Base? Kinda - we stay at the park and ride on 53 and the Taconite a lot - 24 miles by trail to Side Lake.

It's only 3 hours from my house. I am right off 169.

Got reservations up in Grand Marais for Wednesday but second guessing driving that far, looking for recommendations further south stayed at fredenberg last year and liked the shorter drive and trails were good there but not sure how they're holding up, wouldn't mind going to silver bay/Finland area possibly but not sure where to stay around there we'd like to be with walking distance to a bar or bar grill for after riding but not a deal breaker, biggest question would be how far south the trails held up not to worried about traffic on a Wednesday Thursday ride

Got reservations up in Grand Marais for Wednesday but second guessing driving that far, looking for recommendations further south stayed at fredenberg last year and liked the shorter drive and trails were good there but not sure how they're holding up, wouldn't mind going to silver bay/Finland area possibly but not sure where to stay around there we'd like to be with walking distance to a bar or bar grill for after riding but not a deal breaker, biggest question would be how far south the trails held up not to worried about traffic on a Wednesday Thursday ride
    Maple Grove motel in Finland. Across the street from Four Season's supper club.

PM sent

Last Saturday 2/29/20 we hauled our sleds up to the trail parking lot just a few miles out of Two Harbors. Rode the Yukon trail up to Isabella, Tomahawk trail to the Trestle for lunch, NSST back to the parking lot. 140 miles of very good riding.
    The trails have a hard ice base and 3" of sugar snow that's been recycled many, many times by the groomers and sleds. If they could get 6" of snow and cooler temps for the month of March the riding would be amazing.
    The season is over in central MN.

Some snowfall reports from Wed Night-Thurs morning for northern minnesota....
    Not huge amounts, but it will make this weekend riding much better than otherwise

Preliminary local storm report
    national weather service grand forks nd
    1033 am cst thu mar 5 2020

..time... ...event... ...city location... ...lat.lon...
    ..date... ....mag.... ..county location..st.. ...source....
    ..remarks..

1030 am heavy snow 1 wnw flag island 49.33n 94.89w
    03/05/2020 e12.0 inch lake of the woods mn public

report of around a foot or snow on flag
    island. The duration of the heavy snow event
    was 24 hours.

RELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND FORKS ND
    234 PM CST THU MAR 5 2020

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
    ..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
    ..REMARKS..

0126 PM SNOW 5 N ROOSEVELT 48.88N 95.09W
    03/05/2020 M6.0 INCH LAKE OF THE WOODS MN PUBLIC

REPORT OF 4.5 INCHES THROUGH 7:30 AM THEN UP
    TO 6 INCHES BEFORE SNOW STOPPED NEAR THE
    REPORT TIME. THE DURATION OF THE SNOW EVENT
    WAS 24 HOURS.

0411 pm snow 1 e silver bay 47.30n 91.26w
    03/05/2020 m3.2 inch lake mn public

0214 pm snow 1 ssw ely 47.90n 91.86w
    03/05/2020 m4.5 inch st. Louis mn trained spotter

0210 pm snow 4 w grand marais 47.76n 90.44w
    03/05/2020 m6.9 inch cook mn public

1200 pm snow intl. Falls 48.58n 93.40w
    03/05/2020 m4.6 inch koochiching mn official nws obs

1107 am snow 5 nw two harbors 47.09n 91.75w
    03/05/2020 e1.0 inch lake mn trained spotter

0943 am snow 11 nnw coleraine 47.45n 93.52w
    03/05/2020 m0.5 inch itasca mn public

0900 am snow 14 w isabella 47.59n 91.65w
    03/05/2020 m5.0 inch lake mn co-op observer

co-op observer station iblm5 isabella 14 w.

Trails were softening up Saturday afternoon and Sunday, but still riding to be had out there. Guys in our club talked to a few groomers and they are not done. Plan is to get back out this week once it freezes up again, which it did overnight. Definitely enough snow in most places - yeah, you might find a burned through spot here and there, south facing slopes, and obviously towns and road trails are clear - "only" put on 365 this weekend, with 50 checking out the Vintage Fun Run out of Aurora/Hoyt Lakes Saturday afternoon.

Been an AMAZING season in Northern MN this year!! Troy, be sure to let me know if you guys go for a day ride or two if we get that 30" April dump in Finland this year....
    Last edited by xcr440; 03-09-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Went for a 140 mile ride today around Tower MN, some of the best conditions in weeks. We just saw 2 other riders all day. Did not have to worry about meeting anybody in a corner that has been sitting on a bar stool all day, Nice!

[QUOTE=oldguy;492079]Went for a 140 mile ride today around Tower MN, some of the best conditions in weeks. We just saw 2 other riders all day. Did not have to worry about meeting anybody in a corner that has been sitting on a bar stool all day, Nice![/QUOTE

Very jealous sounds like a blast

I don't think there is much interest in this subject lately but this is what is going on in the Iron Range of northern MN. It's pretty much done as of today. We rode until Monday this week and the trails were pretty good. Sunday we received another few inches of snow and no rain. Tuesday we had a big melt down and last night it never got below freezing. There is still plenty of snow in the woods but not much on the trails. Maybe the North Shore still has some trail riding snow.

If you enjoyed the trails up here especially the state groomed trails like the Arrowhead, Taconite and North Shore please let the guys at the MN DNR know. I personally think they really stepped up their grooming this year and hearing from the public will go a long way to keep them great in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    I don't think there is much interest in this subject lately but this is what is going on in the Iron Range of northern MN. It's pretty much done as of today. We rode until Monday this week and the trails were pretty good. Sunday we received another few inches of snow and no rain. Tuesday we had a big melt down and last night it never got below freezing. There is still plenty of snow in the woods but not much on the trails. Maybe the North Shore still has some trail riding snow.

If you enjoyed the trails up here especially the state groomed trails like the Arrowhead, Taconite and North Shore please let the guys at the MN DNR know. I personally think they really stepped up their grooming this year and hearing from the public will go a long way to keep them great in the future.
    Completely agree, their grooming has significantly improved the last couple years - still a little light heading south/west on the Taconite out of Tower, but I know they have a number of spots through that section that almost never completely freeze up.

North shore Finland north is not only rideable but dang nice. Lutzen told everyone they quite grooming, they did stop, but after they they groomed everything Monday night!😁
    We've met some other sledders. Some grilling brats and another that said we shouldn't be up here, but then talked with us for about 30 minutes. The warm temps are making things slick, but overall they are very nice.

Had to stay at Grand Superior Lodge. All of Cook county has a warning out because of their elevated older population, and lack of hospitals.

If you come up here make sure to get what you need for the night by 7:00 o'clock. Everything is takeout.

Running the boarders tonight. Passed 5 state patrol on Wednesday night and didn't get bothered. I also was strictly following the speed limit. Have a good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardPlayHrd View Post
    North shore Finland north is not only rideable but dang nice. Lutzen told everyone they quite grooming, they did stop, but after they they groomed everything Monday night!
    We've met some other sledders. Some grilling brats and another that said we shouldn't be up here, but then talked with us for about 30 minutes. The warm temps are making things slick, but overall they are very nice.

Had to stay at Grand Superior Lodge. All of Cook county has a warning out because of their elevated older population, and lack of hospitals.

If you come up here make sure to get what you need for the night by 7:00 o'clock. Everything is takeout.

Running the boarders tonight. Passed 5 state patrol on Wednesday night and didn't get bothered. I also was strictly following the speed limit. Have a good weekend!
    We rode Saturday out of Finland and went north and the trails were perfect in the morning. At one point I even questioned my judgement when we hopped of the perfect trail to take a beat up old rail grade! But as soon as we got into some waist deep snow on some hills I quit questioning it. There'll be plenty of snow to keep going on forest roads for a couple of weeks yet. Calling for 6-8" up there saturday night.

20200323_155454.jpg

20200322_172230.jpg

It wasn't MN but two of us rode along the Red River on the ND side last Sunday and two more joined us last Monday, we rode the fields close to the river and went about 85 miles both days, unless we get a bunch of snow the riding is done here but it was a long season