Default If you had $10,000 what stock will you be buying soon?

I'm not a market player but I feel like I need to invest.
    HD has been a winner for 9 years straight and went from $248 3 weeks ago to $164 today.

In 2011 it was around $30.00

Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post
    HD has been a winner for 9 years straight and went from $248 3 weeks ago to $164 today.

I think HD is heading for a downturn long term. Baby boomers have had an infatuation with bikes and bought them at a record pace. The younger generations are not as infatuated nor do they have the disposable income. As baby boomers age or their hires start to liquidate the toys, pricing on used will drop precipitously. If you were in the market for one at that time, would buy new or get a well cared for one at a really low price?

Not what stock, stocks. Never put all your money in one place and one sector.

Hardest hit stocks down 60-70% are resorts like wynn and mgm. These will recover, probably staring more toward late summer if things were to settle down. The only cruise line company I would want to put money in is Disney(dis). The company will come back because of it's multiple avenues of revenue. Some of the cruise lines could end up in big trouble depending on how long this lasts.

Catapiler(cat) and John Deere(de) will likely both drop more through earnings in April then stabilize. Once the economy gets over this they will both return to highs.

Airlines American (aal), Delta(dal), and United(ual). Are down between 50-70%. Like the cruise lines they are looking at around an 18 month cycle of recovery.

ExxonMobil (xom), and Philips (psx) will be good to own once the oil fiasco is over. Smaller companies could end up in bankruptcy.

Banks J PMorgan(jpm), Bank of America(bac), Citigroup(c) are taking big hits because of the lowering of interest rates and worry over their own investments and loans. Will likely drop more during earnings in April and then a steady slow rise as people begin to spend and investments recover.

Square(sq) the company that has the little white things that let you swipe credit cards for average people and small businesses is down 50%, as businesses recover so will they. There is also talk of a buyout from a larger company which makes this stock very appealing.

Any company that needs people to buy non essentials will be hurt for a little while. Compare Walmart (wmt) to HomeDepot (hd). Walmart is not taking an ugly hit because they sell essentials. HomeDepot doesn't for most people. If you work in an industry that is getting pinched by this groceries are going to win over home improvements or clothes.

These are all suggestions that could increase around 40-70% safely in the next 18 months if everyone quites freaking out.

Earnings for many of these companies will be in April and will likely have a negative impact due to the fact that they will have poor forecasts for the rest of 2020. If it was my money I would wait till after earnings to invest.

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed broker. I do this on a personal level for my family. If anyone chooses to do anything it is your choice. These are only suggestions.

Disclaimer 2: If we end up in a recession due to illogical fear then we will likely drop another 10-18% in the market. This scenario is possible. Do I want to see it no, but with the way the world is reacting it could happen.

Disclaimer 3: I'm female, and a farmer's wife. Therefore according to general society I'm an idiot.😀

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heckler56 View Post
    I think HD is heading for a downturn long term. Baby boomers have had an infatuation with bikes and bought them at a record pace. The younger generations are not as infatuated nor do they have the disposable income. As baby boomers age or their hires start to liquidate the toys, pricing on used will drop precipitously. If you were in the market for one at that time, would buy new or get a well cared for one at a really low price?
    By HD I believe he means HomeDepot, Harley Davidson would be HOG on the stock market. They are non essential and will take a hit for a while.
    Last edited by WorkHardPlayHrd; 03-17-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heckler56 View Post
    Yup, yung uns have a passion to experience and brag; not purchase.

H.D. and all motorcycle manufacturers are toast in the cycle segment of their business.
    I am a rider and the number of nice new bikes that are 3-5 years old still waiting for a new owner is staggering..some half price.

Bear

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

We invested in AAPL in the early 2,000's. Up until the Virus it had returned more than 400%. Moving forward, once we get past this damn virus they're going to have a back log and waiting list for all their devices. The concern is....wait for it.....most of their product is made in China. So, we're going to ride it out Long Term. Hate to see the losses pile up day after day but sometimes that happens. A couple of common sense reminders; you don't lose a dime until you sell something at a loss. And if you're not prepared to lose it, don't invest in the Stock Market. Bury it in the backyard or stuff your mattress with Benjamin's.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardPlayHrd View Post
    Not what stock, stocks. Never put all your money in one place and one sector.

Hardest hit stocks down 60-70% are resorts like wynn and mgm. These will recover, probably staring more toward late summer if things were to settle down. The only cruise line company I would want to put money in is Disney(dis). The company will come back because of it's multiple avenues of revenue. Some of the cruise lines could end up in big trouble depending on how long this lasts.

Catapiler(cat) and John Deere(de) will likely both drop more through earnings in April then stabilize. Once the economy gets over this they will both return to highs.

Airlines American (aal), Delta(dal), and United(ual). Are down between 50-70%. Like the cruise lines they are looking at around an 18 month cycle of recovery.

ExxonMobil (xom), and Philips (psx) will be good to own once the oil fiasco is over. Smaller companies could end up in bankruptcy.

Banks J PMorgan(jpm), Bank of America(bac), Citigroup(c) are taking big hits because of the lowering of interest rates and worry over their own investments and loans. Will likely drop more during earnings in April and then a steady slow rise as people begin to spend and investments recover.

Square(sq) the company that has the little white things that let you swipe credit cards for average people and small businesses is down 50%, as businesses recover so will they. There is also talk of a buyout from a larger company which makes this stock very appealing.

Any company that needs people to buy non essentials will be hurt for a little while. Compare Walmart (wmt) to HomeDepot (hd). Walmart is not taking an ugly hit because they sell essentials. HomeDepot doesn't for most people. If you work in an industry that is getting pinched by this groceries are going to win over home improvements or clothes.

These are all suggestions that could increase around 40-70% safely in the next 18 months if everyone quites freaking out.

Earnings for many of these companies will be in April and will likely have a negative impact due to the fact that they will have poor forecasts for the rest of 2020. If it was my money I would wait till after earnings to invest.

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed broker. I do this on a personal level for my family. If anyone chooses to do anything it is your choice. These are only suggestions.

Disclaimer 2: If we end up in a recession due to illogical fear then we will likely drop another 10-18% in the market. This scenario is possible. Do I want to see it no, but with the way the world is reacting it could happen.

Disclaimer 3: I'm female, and a farmer's wife. Therefore according to general society I'm an idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

By HD I believe he means HomeDepot, Harley Davidson would be HOG on the stock market. They are non essential and will take a hit for a while.
    All sage advice. And, I should have paid attention to the HD vs HOG, my bad. I have heard so many boomers lately thing HOG will live on.

Buy a total stock market index fund.

Soon it will be all tailwinds with cheap stocks and cheap gasoline. Make your picks in tech and blue chip S&P that have taken a hit in the panic. Big investors usually make their buys now thru July then enjoy summer and come back hard September- December just tradition. Only thing I did was move my yearly income into a safe low yield bond fund the rest stays in for the long haul. Disappointed over all but believe stocks will come back very strong in a a short period of time I’m just riding it out as Trump keeps enacting stimulus programs on the fly. If you’re a glass half empty vs half full person then do what you feel is right for you me I’m in for the long haul.

If you have a deferred comp at work increase your Dollar Cost Average contribution.

Otherwise: AMZN, MSFT and AAPL

Buy on the dip!

buy a new doo

Quote Originally Posted by byr 13 View Post
    buy a new doo
    Ya snowmobiles are by far the better investment!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by byr 13 View Post
    buy a new doo
    The business I work at in Green Bay is closing at Midnight this coming Saturday.
    I had 100% plans to buy a 21 Doo 6 days ago, now it will take further discounting..at least $500.
    I will be off payroll in two weeks..sad.

Bear

I been buying....STRYKER MEDICAL and CSRIX Cohen and steers...just sayin

Stocks will likely continue to drop until the Corona scare is over. It's probably not a good time to buy, for most stocks (there are always exceptions). But the worst stock to buy in times of recession or uncertainty, are stocks that are based on discretionary spending. Nobody needs a Harley or a bass boat to survive. Invest in necessities like pharmaceuticals or oil. Right now is a great time to buy oil stocks. BP stock hasn't been this low in over 20 years, and it WILL climb again when oil prices spike the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    Stocks will likely continue to drop until the Corona scare is over. It's probably not a good time to buy, for most stocks (there are always exceptions). But the worst stock to buy in times of recession or uncertainty, are stocks that are based on discretionary spending. Nobody needs a Harley or a bass boat to survive. Invest in necessities like pharmaceuticals or oil. Right now is a great time to buy oil stocks. BP stock hasn't been this low in over 20 years, and it WILL climb again when oil prices spike the next time.
    HD is The Home Depot.

You might need to build a TP saving bunker quik...you can do it....we can help!

Quote Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
    The business I work at in Green Bay is closing at Midnight this coming Saturday.
    I had 100% plans to buy a 21 Doo 6 days ago, now it will take further discounting..at least $500.
    I will be off payroll in two weeks..sad.

Bear
    This appears as you are trying to "bait" Doo into greater rebate programs?? Interesting at least.

Put it all on HD

Quote Originally Posted by fcat700 View Post
    Put it all on HD

e trade needs 3 days to receive funds. it can drop til Monday for me.

ATI Strikeforce AK-47 Tactlite Stock and Forend Package w/ Scorpion Recoil System

e trade needs 3 days to receive funds. it can drop til Monday for me.
    Send a wire and as soon as they get it it's available. Do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by old abe View Post
    This appears as you are trying to "bait" Doo into greater rebate programs?? Interesting at least.
    They can follow GM's lead; their sales dropped and brought out a promotion asap.

Bear

Manitowish Waters, WI and Village of Summit, Wisconsin

As we see it there have been a lot of places of business that have been forced to close. The local, state, and Federal Government has imposed these sanctions. If they know so much about what is going on and how to correct this why not shut the Stock Markets down for awhile? Surely a little break from this madness would not cause anymore panic than there already is?

Quote Originally Posted by pclark View Post
    As we see it there have been a lot of places of business that have been forced to close. The local, state, and Federal Government has imposed these sanctions. If they know so much about what is going on and how to correct this why not shut the Stock Markets down for awhile? Surely a little break from this madness would not cause anymore panic than there already is?
    I agree!

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/BF.B

Down as of recently but still up over 7% for 1 year
    Mans still gotta drink!

If it's money you don't need, I would put it in VTSAX and let it sit for 20+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    If it's money you don't need, I would put it in VTSAX and let it sit for 20+ years.
    Vanguard is absolutely terrible go to morning star VTSAX and you will see that in 5 years it is only gained 3.64% I can do that with the GIA

Click here....go down the list....every year and I n.v mean every year even crash years Stryker has paid a dividend and even split

https://investors.stryker.com/stock-...y/default.aspx

Stock has performed 10.4% over 10 years....way way way more than vanguard ever could....good luck on whatever you buy....but check performance over 10 years or 5 I would...at morningstar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    Vanguard is absolutely terrible go to morning star VTSAX and you will see that in 5 years it is only gained 3.64% I can do that with the GIA
    I wouldn't invest in a total stock fund if I needed/wanted the money in 10 years. If I had interest in using the money within 10 years, I would pick something different.

Why would anyone even think of putting a penny in the stock market right now. Did you ever try to catch a falling knife? Let me tell you it isn't pretty. I went though 2008 and watched my Citigroup stock drop to $1 a share. I had corporate bonds that I manage to sell for 60 cents on the dollar. This is far from over.

God help anyone who is watching Trump's advisor when he says "buy the dip."
    https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-3-1028973182

Yes, I have $10,000 available cash. In fact, I have over 10 times that amount in available cash, but for damn sure I'm not putting a penny in the stock market right now. I'm still 40% in the market and wish I wasn't, but at this point I'm in it for the long haul.

Here is how bad it might get.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotliko.../#58854eb177a7

https://www.ccn.com/dow-will-crash-t...e-2008-crisis/

75440839-caching-a-falling-knife.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Why would anyone even think of putting a penny in the stock market right now. Did you ever try to catch a falling knife? Let me tell you it isn't pretty. I went though 2008 and watched my Citigroup stock drop to $1 a share. I had corporate bonds that I manage to sell for 60 cents on the dollar. This is far from over.

God help anyone who is watching Trump's advisor when he says "buy the dip."
    https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-3-1028973182

Yes, I have $10,000 available cash. In fact, I have over 10 times that amount in available cash, but for damn sure I'm not putting a penny in the stock market right now. I'm still 40% in the market and wish I wasn't, but at this point I'm in it for the long haul.

Here is how bad it might get.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotliko.../#58854eb177a7

https://www.ccn.com/dow-will-crash-t...e-2008-crisis/

75440839-caching-a-falling-knife.jpg
    Yur kind of a negative nellie.

Is there a certain smugness that you are enjoying during this man made crisis?

BTW with my calloused hands, catching a knife seems pretty harmless compared to seeing the potential confrontation that the panic my fellow citizens are exhibiting may look like.

also.... the c-19 is able to penetrate and remain this the soft tissue of non-calloused hands no matter how many times you wash and sing happy birthday.
    Last edited by snobuilder; 03-22-2020 at 05:03 PM.

I was thinking he's full of crap. Why would you announce on a forum that you have 100k in cash? You know how many times I have bit my tongue when it comes to assets?? Not this Midwest player guy. All of the well to do guys will never brag about it. Especially on the internet....

Snowbuilder if you want to make money while market is down you buy shares of Prudential GIA ....to see how much you will earn you take the total amount times .03 then divide that amount by 365...that is how much you make every day regardless of a market crash or not....and that vanguard only makes pennies more but can go lower if there is a crash....GIA is safe...and then you can take out after every one else is penny less and poor....let it sit for 90 days in a brokerage link and then you can invest it again in whatever as th he market climbs

Vanguard would be times .0364 but can tank and leave you poor

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    I was thinking he's full of crap. Why would you announce on a forum that you have 100k in cash? You know how many times I have bit my tongue when it comes to assets?? Not this Midwest player guy. All of the well to do guys will never brag about it. Especially on the internet....

Just what I thought, what a di-K. Man, to brag that much, his head is swollen , my dad once told me when I was young that money cannot buy you happiness, I’m very happy, and to talk about money or politics always ends up with people pissed off

Let me be clear. I'm not a millionaire. However, there are a lot of millionaires in our country now days. About 1 in 20 folks are millionaires so it is very common. For someone who has worked hard and saved all his life a $100,000 is nothing now days. I don't have an expensive house, instead I put my assets into investments by saving a little every month.

To tell the truth, I always thought of snowmobilers as being wealthy. I see brand new 4 x 4 trucks hauling huge trailers big enough to hold several snowmobiles coming one after another in the winter season. Heck, I don't even own a 4 wheel drive. I have 2 cars. One is a 2008 and the other is a 2015. I have bought both of them new and paid cash for them. In a couple more years I plan to trade in my oldest car and buy another new car (probably SUV this time) paying with cash.

I don't even have a snowblower, but still use my yooper scoop. However, the last several years I have hired a snow plower. Most young folks haven't had the time to acquire wealth. When you are young, saving for a down payment is probably the most important thing on your mind. When I was young I only had $500 left after I put everything I had into buying a new house. When I got married both me and my wife each had about $900. I had just bought a brand new 1972 Pinto at Van Boxtel in Green Bay for $2,000. It was my first brand new car and I never bought a used car ever again.

So yes, I'm proud of my hard work and saving. You are correct, rich folks don't brag about how much they got so I'm far from rich, but when you get my age you better be sure you have more than $100,000 in the bank along with other investments like a 401(k).

Yur kind of a negative nellie.

Is there a certain smugness that you are enjoying during this man made crisis?

BTW with my calloused hands, catching a knife seems pretty harmless compared to seeing the potential confrontation that the panic my fellow citizens are exhibiting may look like.

also.... the c-19 is able to penetrate and remain this the soft tissue of non-calloused hands no matter how many times you wash and sing happy birthday.
    I don't know from reading your above statement if you think I'm actually talking about catching a physical knife. It is just a metaphor used in investing terminology to describe a risky investment strategy.
    https://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-i...ling-knife.htm

Also please back up your second statement that for non-calloused hands, washing is useless with a link.

By the way, the market was up over 2,000 points today. I used it as an opportunity to move more investments to cash. So you can see my thinking is this is far from over and nowhere near a bottom.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 03-25-2020 at 03:08 AM.

IDK what its going into, but I am dumping cash into the market. It's $$$$ that will not affect my life if I lose every penny of it. But if it does well...., well.....?

Quote Originally Posted by srt20 View Post
    IDK what its going into, but I am dumping cash into the market. It's $$$$ that will not affect my life if I lose every penny of it. But if it does well...., well.....?
    My thoughts (very little formal education) are, putting money in now you will do good. Possibly VERY good. Taking same aporoach, have money that'll be bonus money in retirement. Going to get aggressive with it.

Agree

Here is one person's thoughts on Home Depot.
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/433...ing-home-depot

By the way, other folks will say its a buy. Schwab gives it a "B" rating.

Midwest player is more like Midwest Troll, the guy doesn't even ride snowmobile; who the **** invited him?
    Go find another group you have more in common with..PLEASE!

Bear

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

You are mostly right. But still too early to go really big on oil. Oil is at least a year out. If you are young maybe but anybody 55 or older there will be much better opportunities than oil.

Store has been crazy busy.....
    how long will this last....????

Last edited by united; 03-26-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    If someone were to have put $100,000 into John Deere Monday morning it would have turned into 2,300,000 by today. Deere up $23 since Monday 3/23 open.
    ?? I think your numbers are off

Covid fever. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chunk06 View Post
    ?? I think your numbers are off
    Yep!

Spxs, tvix, jnug

You would of had to buy 4,347 shares at 23 dollars and then have that stock go to 46 dollars per share and then sold....then u would of made 2.3 million

Store was very busy again today....I think ppl are getting delayed projects done and also like the feeling of a normal day when they come in to buy materials.

Heard it said today that corporations will be remembered for how well they treated their employees during this (manufactured) crisis...if that is true, then the Home depot will be remembered fondly in the markets.

They are backing up there "family values" BIG TIME. Never been prouder to be a part of this BIG corp.

Dec 2019 I pulled a large investment out of Chase and parked it in a reg ol' savings acct earning .01 %. Best investment and greatest return I ever made. Not looking to buy into anything. I gonna spend some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by chords View Post
    Dec 2019 I pulled a large investment out of Chase and parked it in a reg ol' savings acct earning .01 %. Best investment and greatest return I ever made. Not looking to buy into anything. I gonna spend some of it.
    Haha...so you made 250 on yer 25000 that would of made 2500 at 10%.....what a genius forrest....spend yer 5 tanks of gas wisely o sage....ROTFLMAO

Haha...so you made 250 on yer 25000 that would of made 2500 at 10%.....what a genius forrest....spend yer 5 tanks of gas wisely o sage....ROTFLMAO
    Let's say he had $100,000 in Chase at the end of December and yanked it. It then dropped over 40%. That's a loss of $40,000. If he had left it in he would be at around $60,000. Sounds like he made a great move. Sell high, buy low. I guarantee you there are a ton of people out there who wish they had handled their money exactly like he did! You will never always hit it perfect, but that was dang close.

To the person with the John Deere post you would have made $21,000. You would have bought about 909 shares at around $110/share. If you had invested $100,000 in $110 calls for 3/27/2020 at $6.7 per call (which means your buying 100 calls at a crack.) If you had sold at $140 you would have made around $400,000, but if the stock had gone down you would have lost every cent!

Work hard play hard....he said regular savings at 1%....that is peanuts....and not a smart move at all...a GIA is last choice at best also but pays 3%...it also is not a smart move ...EXCEPT....you cannot lose anything...and he would of made 3 times the amount doing same thing...to each his own I guess

1% is take 100000 x .01

10% is take 100000 x .1

To make 40,000 you need to take 100,000 x .4 which is 40% profit and that is nearly impossible and unheard of

You stand corrected and he is still forrest
    Last edited by Tracker; 03-30-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Yes Work Hard, that's exactly how it worked out. So Mr Trackless you keep thinking your way and your wife will be packing your P & J sandwich and 1 Twinkie for your lunch for the next 30 + years.

Work hard play hard....he said regular savings at 1%....that is peanuts....and not a smart move at all...a GIA is last choice at best also but pays 3%...it also is not a smart move ...EXCEPT....you cannot lose anything...and he would of made 3 times the amount doing same thing...to each his own I guess

1% is take 100000 x .01

10% is take 100000 x .1

To make 40,000 you need to take 100,000 x .4 which is 40% profit and that is nearly impossible and unheard of

You stand corrected and he is still forrest
    Don't look at what he would have made between December and the end of February. Look at what he would have lost from mid February on. He decided he was happy with what he had made and got out. Take the profit and run.

Just my .02. If your going to get into buying stock, you need to be in it for the "long term", and Not hoping for "short term" gains. If you have a slush fund and willing to invest it (and keep it there for an extended period), by all means do, but look into companies that have big potential to grow. It's anyone's guess as to when/where the bottom will be - during these times-. Everyone under the sun will look at the big companies like HD, etc., but professional investors have a keen eye for finding the company's getting no press, with potential for big upside over time. Good luck.

Yes Work Hard, that's exactly how it worked out. So Mr Trackless you keep thinking your way and your wife will be packing your P & J sandwich and 1 Twinkie for your lunch for the next 30 + years.
    Not likely....yesterday I got a dividend check on one account that has 530+ shares...for .277 per share...that's about 150 bucks that your 1% took a year to make 100 bucks more than that....plus on monday I made 17,000 on health stocks....today lost 2000....it just keeps on a goin up dude...that's the advice I am trying to give you posts back....savings account ain't gonna cut it

I understand - a bank saving acct is not an investment and will not grow over the long haul. My point was I did not see mega buck$ that took years to build up disappear in a weeks time.

I did. You made a good move, but timing is so speculative. I stayed, I lost.
    I understand - a bank saving acct is not an investment and will not grow over the long haul. My point was I did not see mega buck$ that took years to build up disappear in a weeks time.

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

We haven't hit the bottom yet. My W.A.G. is that when the virus hits it's peak the market will then stabilize and later still before it starts to grow. Heck, nobody knows.

Despite market going way down...another dividend check coming my way for 400+ shares....buying more shares all accounts friday for double amounts....example...if I normally buy 100 shares then on friday it will be same dollar amount spent but shares will be 200 shares instead of 100...just remember bloomberg and all the other crooks are doing the same thing...I for one am getting in on their game now that I learned how they do it

Polaris (pii) worth watching at $39 was just $92 on 3/02. Might be slower to recover since their business is based on disposable income but when it does no reason to not bounce back nicely.

Yes and another thing also good for polaris...they currently use one of THE BEST 3D Printers on the market for their parts and fixtures...I laugh when a report or thread comes out how bad Polaris or cat businesses are and they might go under...doffusses