Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Feb 22, 2020 The common flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year,

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by durphee View Post
    Yes , you repeated my statement as its not FDA approved for COVID 19.
    Of course if it is approved by the FDA for any medical purpose, then any physician may prescribe it fir virtually any other medical purpose. Its called (click ) Wickedypedia: Off-label use. And its generally legal.

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    Of course if it is approved by the FDA for any medical purpose, then any physician may prescribe it fir virtually any other medical purpose. It’s called (click ) Wickedypedia: Off-label use. And it’s generally legal.
    Fir virtually FRNASH......here

Firs (Abies) are a genus of 48–56 species of evergreen coniferous trees in the family Pinaceae. They are found through much of North and Central America, Europe, Asia, and North Africa, occurring in mountains over most of the range. Firs are most closely related to the genus Cedrus (cedar).

Just so we can move on

"This web page provides estimates on the burden of influenza in the United States for the 20182019 influenza season."
    "Conclusion
    CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 20182019 influenza season. This burden was similar to estimated burden during the 20122013 influenza season1."
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

That is for the United States and not sure how they calculate the season, it says 2018-2019 influenza season.

Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post
    Sorry i messed up 50-60,000 US flu related deaths in 2019. And my point still stands that the flu was just the last straw, NOT THE CAUSE OF DEATH....unless of course you is using stats to manipulate and confuse the general population.

Very good there Tracker. However chloroquine is made from the bark of trees from the Cinchona genus, and so is quinine. Now where is my gin and quinine water, I mean tonic. Dang malaria skeeters, I mean covid. I don't know if it is done anymore, but the tonic water button on a soda gun in a bar used to be identified by the letter Q for quinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post

Firs (Abies) are a genus of 48–56 species of evergreen coniferous trees in the family Pinaceae. They are found through much of North and Central America, Europe, Asia, and North Africa, occurring in mountains over most of the range. Firs are most closely related to the genus Cedrus (cedar).

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Oooooh, ya catched me with a typo! Fir sure!

At first I failed to get yer point; I thought perhaps you were referring to Abies spectabilis (East Himalayan fir) or Talispatra, which is used as an anti-tussive (cough suppressant) drug, which would have at least had a vague connection with the subject at hand.

I even had a fleeting thought that perhaps you were referring to some traditional healing practices of the Smi people of Lapland/Northern Finland, some of which Ive heard of, but only vaguely. But firs are not commonly found in Finland; the closest is Norway Spruce (Picea abies), and the following other conifers:

Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris)
    Common juniper (Juniperus communis)
    European yew (Taxus baccata)

(Apparently united interpreted your post similarly.)
    Last edited by frnash; 03-22-2020 at 12:46 AM.

Au contraire...I am alot smarter than you give me credit for

People use fir for the common cold, cough, swelling (inflammation) of the main airways in the lung (bronchitis), and sore throat, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.

Pine trees are useful for more than just climbing and creating chores for your grandkids. They’re also an excellent source of food and medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by dothedoo View Post
    You're not being political, but Trump's statement, which was corrected by Fauci in the same press conference , and Trump said Fauci was "100 Correct" is something you called a "Dangerous Statement."

Nobody would refer to what Trump said as a "dangerous statement", unless they were trying to be political.

Try watching less CNN, MSNBC, or whatever it is you watch. lol
    FOX needs to be added also.

Quote Originally Posted by old abe View Post
    All news stations suck. They no longer can report on ANYTHING with dramatizing or sensationalizing it. Never waste a good crisis!
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    All news stations suck. They no longer can report on ANYTHING with dramatizing or sensationalizing it. Never waste a good crisis!
    Agree, X2!

The last time I checked, Fox doesn't make a habit of referring to something harmless Trump said as a "dangerous statement."

Feb 22, 2020 The common flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year,
    So what? They don't all go to the hospital at once.

I agree, I remember when Lawyers used to be called Ambulance chasers, looking for ways to make money off someone elses pain!

TV News stations seem to have no shame in asking folks that were just in a disaster or life altering terrible circumstance, personal questions and will blow up even small details as if there major things!
    ALL to make it seem like reporters are , telling something we ALL Much know!

all for ratings
    they need shock value to make nonsense seem important!
    or again, pray on innocent people just so they can get a STORY , most times about nothing!

news any more is more about advertising, than giving accurate valuable info that can help anyone! IMO!

I personally seldom watch it anymore, minus, checking the weather, which is almost always WRONG!, seems were all suckers for this too, as what other job can you be wrong so often and keep it!

I seen my local weather person, tell on the local TV channel,say, it was going to be 55 and snowing??

REALLY< snowing and 55 degree's
    and with a straight face as if he was right!
    even repeated the same forecast later in the day!
    and guess what, HE was wrong LOL

YES TV news is a lot of BS anymore IMO!, sad so many are brain wash into watching it giving them ratings to make them THINK there doing a good job!

I usually have a problem with the "all politicians are corrupt" and "all this and that". Not directing at you Skylar.

All politicians aren't corrupt. There are good and bad people in every area of our lives, neighbors, co-workers, politicians, family, etc.

I usually cannot watch any of the major networks and left wing cable news networks and really only watch FOX. Since this China virus came to our shores even FOX was bothering me with the constant coverage which instills fear in most people's minds. Just covering it alone will do that. They have been guilty (my opinion) of the sensationalism on this one too. One area where FOX stands out against ALL the other networks is they don't participate in the constant attack on the President. It's out of control and the country realizes it. That's why there are record turnouts at the primary races in the states so far and he doesn't have a challenger. That's remarkable. I don't want to break the rules and get political here as I respect all of those who support Sanders, Biden or whoever. No problem with that.

I just recently noticed some of the anchors/hosts at Fox starting to focus more on positive story lines and other ways to instill hope into the viewers. I think this is necessary to do since we are going to come out of this and need to obviously take precautions now but focus on where we are going. We dress for where we are going right? Not where we were. We need to start focusing on 2 weeks from now, 4 weeks from now and how we are NOT going to over react like this next winter when the regular flu hits. By the Government's new standard we need to go through this shut down every year going forward if you want to use the stats as stated previously in this thread for the regular flu versus the China virus. That (this) method is not sustainable and we not only as a country, but the world cannot go through this every year.

Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    The drug is already approved by the FDA and has been going back to the 1940's. I haven't heard it's specifically approved for the China Flu, but they are already running tests to see how it works for it. That is great news and provides a little bit of hope.
    I am not up on prescription drugs but I assume we are referring to the drug treatment for malaria that has been shown in some real life testing to help with covid-19? I know someone who takes this drug for arthritis with results and from what I understand there is little danger from taking this drug, I dont understand why we have to wait for another government entity to say this can be used for treatment for covid-19 if it is a FDA approved drug to begin with, I guess even if it helps even in the smallest form isn't this better than what we have now? I have stage 3 degenerative disc disease and during times of flare up they prescribe me a medication that is intended for patients that suffer from siezures. Look at all the drugs that were FDA approved widely prescribed that you see on commercials that are now known to cause cancer, and when you hear all the side effects of drugs some fatal including increased risk of or thoughts of suicide why would you want to take those? i just don't get it. I had also heard that one of the worst things to take if you have covid-19 is anything with ibuprofin because if you have the virus it can react with it creating another enzyme which will increase the severity of the virus, don't know if this is true as I only heard this once on talk radio but if it is why aren''t we warning people about it?

Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    I usually have a problem with the "all politicians are corrupt" and "all this and that". Not directing at you Skylar.

All politicians aren't corrupt. There are good and bad people in every area of our lives, neighbors, co-workers, politicians, family, etc.

I usually cannot watch any of the major networks and left wing cable news networks and really only watch FOX. Since this China virus came to our shores even FOX was bothering me with the constant coverage which instills fear in most people's minds. Just covering it alone will do that. They have been guilty (my opinion) of the sensationalism on this one too. One area where FOX stands out against ALL the other networks is they don't participate in the constant attack on the President. It's out of control and the country realizes it. That's why there are record turnouts at the primary races in the states so far and he doesn't have a challenger. That's remarkable. I don't want to break the rules and get political here as I respect all of those who support Sanders, Biden or whoever. No problem with that.

I just recently noticed some of the anchors/hosts at Fox starting to focus more on positive story lines and other ways to instill hope into the viewers. I think this is necessary to do since we are going to come out of this and need to obviously take precautions now but focus on where we are going. We dress for where we are going right? Not where we were. We need to start focusing on 2 weeks from now, 4 weeks from now and how we are NOT going to over react like this next winter when the regular flu hits. By the Government's new standard we need to go through this shut down every year going forward if you want to use the stats as stated previously in this thread for the regular flu versus the China virus. That (this) method is not sustainable and we not only as a country, but the world cannot go through this every year.
    How can anyone watch FOX news for more than five minutes without feeling like throwing up.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsnomo View Post
    So what? They don't all go to the hospital at once.
    so what??? they don't go to hospital all at once??? so if all these people showed up at hospital at one time we would take notice to something that kills up to 650,000 people a year? and because they don't its ok and there is no reason for us to react as we are now? so basically since the flu "Virus" kills gradually there is no need for alarm? and this occurs year after year after year, just think how much smaller the number could be if we reacted in the same way....or should I say overreacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    How can anyone watch FOX news for more than five minutes without feeling like throwing up.
    I will admit I was a fox news watcher until this came about and the final draw was when bars and restaurants were ordered to close and they made themselves the police to this order and sent out their anchor people out to find out who was and who wasn't following the order and then making a news story about the one they found who didn't, i hope they were proud of themselves and I have to laugh though when they interviewed the owner, his response was that of which im sure was the opinion of most level headed people. Fox news...no thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    I am not up on prescription drugs but I assume we are referring to the drug treatment for malaria that has been shown in some real life testing to help with covid-19? I know someone who takes this drug for arthritis with results and from what I understand there is little danger from taking this drug, I dont understand why we have to wait for another government entity to say this can be used for treatment for covid-19 if it is a FDA approved drug to begin with, I guess even if it helps even in the smallest form isn't this better than what we have now? I have stage 3 degenerative disc disease and during times of flare up they prescribe me a medication that is intended for patients that suffer from siezures. Look at all the drugs that were FDA approved widely prescribed that you see on commercials that are now known to cause cancer, and when you hear all the side effects of drugs some fatal including increased risk of or thoughts of suicide why would you want to take those? i just don't get it. I had also heard that one of the worst things to take if you have covid-19 is anything with ibuprofin because if you have the virus it can react with it creating another enzyme which will increase the severity of the virus, don't know if this is true as I only heard this once on talk radio but if it is why aren''t we warning people about it?

I heard the same thing about ibuprofin. Apparently the malaria drug (not sure how to spell that name) has shown good results when used along with the Zithromycin (not sure on the spelling) otherwise known as a zpak. They are currently using this and I believe I heard in one study this combination worked in 15 of 20 patients. Trump will move this along if it's successful.

I never said anything about Democrats, or Republicans, do not put words in my mouth.

Ok...fair enough

so what??? they don't go to hospital all at once??? so if all these people showed up at hospital at one time we would take notice to something that kills up to 650,000 people a year? and because they don't its ok and there is no reason for us to react as we are now? so basically since the flu "Virus" kills gradually there is no need for alarm? and this occurs year after year after year, just think how much smaller the number could be if we reacted in the same way....or should I say overreacted.
    LIKE.
    do the math..... the regular flu cases are a huge number, and so far, even with all the hype the c-19 virus won't come close, yet we are hearing of hysteria about not having enough hospital beds....hypothetically , of course....

and when the numbers pale in comparison months from now all of the crisis cryers will say thank gaws we rected like we did....heroes is us.

Actually, you are correct. The "alarm" you are referring to is the inability of our health care system to handle a major crisis of patients from any cause.

Think about the healthcare system as a freeway, patients go in, patients go out, people get treated. The cars keep moving. If you slam the freeway with a quarter million cars all at once, it stops. It breaks. That is the crisis, the numbers of people needing care at one time. It is not an infinite resource. There are only so many beds, masks, doctors, and hospitals. When they are full people don't get care. It's a capacity issue. Regardless of the cause.

So the number of people dying from the flu is a totally irrelevant argument. Yeah, it's a shame they died, but like the cars on the freeway, the system can handle the people. If you get sick you need care. If the hospital is full you won't get it. That's the threat, so many people will need care at one time the system will break for all of us...covid 19 sufferers, heart attacks, gun shots, cancer, etc.

Flu patients get treatment. There are shots, vaccines, hospital beds and doctors. Just like heart attacks, cancer, and car accidents some will die. But they got treatment. The system worked. It's still under capacity.

The health care system is just another factory that only has so much capacity. Once the factory is full, that's it.

Actually, you are correct. The "alarm" you are referring to is the inability of our health care system to handle a major crisis of patients from any cause.

Think about the healthcare system as a freeway, patients go in, patients go out, people get treated. The cars keep moving. If you slam the freeway with a quarter million cars all at once, it stops. It breaks. That is the crisis, the numbers of people needing care at one time. It is not an infinite resource. There are only so many beds, masks, doctors, and hospitals. When they are full people don't get care. It's a capacity issue. Regardless of the cause.

So the number of people dying from the flu is a totally irrelevant argument. Yeah, it's a shame they died, but like the cars on the freeway, the system can handle the people. If you get sick you need care. If the hospital is full you won't get it. That's the threat, so many people will need care at one time the system will break for all of us...covid 19 sufferers, heart attacks, gun shots, cancer, etc.

Flu patients get treatment. There are shots, vaccines, hospital beds and doctors. Just like heart attacks, cancer, and car accidents some will die. But they got treatment. The system worked. It's still under capacity.

The health care system is just another factory that only has so much capacity. Once the factory is full, that's it.
    explain your ifs....sounds like the man made global warming, climate change allarmists....IF, IF,.IF,.IF
    What if no TP is ever produced again...what IF

explain your ifs....sounds like the man made global warming, climate change allarmists....IF, IF,.IF,.IF
    What if no TP is ever produced again...what IF
    Yee, haa, I'll have one H--- of a cob market! $$$$$$$$$

Yee, haa, I'll have one H--- of a cob market! $$$$$$$$$
    I got cash to invest!!!!

I got cash to invest!!!!
    With the TP crisis, it sure appears there are a lot of people out there full of ----? That should do it!

In Racine county where I live one of the hospital systems is looking for donations of medical protection supplies i.e. masks, gowns, sanitizers. Its not just here in Racine either this hospital system as a whole in this state is looking for it as they are experiencing a shortage, here we only have 4 confirmed cases and im not sure how we can be short on supplies? some of these nursing homes and assisted living places are contracting virus via care takers. I under stand the deluge that may occur as result of in the next few weeks but even before that hits it is apparently clear that we are and clearly have never been prepared for a crisis as a whole. For those that support the stay put orders that are being put in place.... how are we going to decide when it is ok to restart and lift the order especially when even now we are very un sure how much of the population even has it,

LIKE.
    do the math..... the regular flu cases are a huge number, and so far, even with all the hype the c-19 virus won't come close, yet we are hearing of hysteria about not having enough hospital beds....hypothetically , of course....

and when the numbers pale in comparison months from now all of the crisis cryers will say thank gaws we rected like we did....heroes is us.
    Agreed completely!! We dont even know how many accurately have it and we will never know, but you are correct if we play this out with far less fatality numbers that the common flu, the crisis criers will stand tall and say see IT WORKED! even though we have absolutely no idea of how many people actually have this, how many people have it and survived. And like I stated in another post I want to know when the magical period of time will elapse when it is safe to lift orders when again we don't know at all how many people have it, how are these geniuses going to determine that?

[QUOTE=snobuilder;492171]explain your ifs....sounds like the man made global warming, climate change allarmists....IF, IF,.IF,.IF
    What if no TP is ever produced again...what IF [/QUOTe

Sure, I can explain the ifs easily...IF THE HOSPITAL IS FULL THEN YOU DONT GET TREATMENT.

simple

There are supposed to be several new ways to test on the way. Including much faster and also self testing.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    There are supposed to be several new ways to test on the way. Including much faster and also self testing.
    I didn't hear self testing - self swabbing and sending in the sample to be tested is what I understand it to be.

I will admit I was a fox news watcher until this came about and the final draw was when bars and restaurants were ordered to close and they made themselves the police to this order and sent out their anchor people out to find out who was and who wasn't following the order and then making a news story about the one they found who didn't, i hope they were proud of themselves and I have to laugh though when they interviewed the owner, his response was that of which i'm sure was the opinion of most level headed people. Fox news...no thanks!
    I assume you're referring to Saloon on Calhoun? They got some very good and very bad publicity all in one shot, just depended which side of the fence you're on. I like that that stayed open.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdance View Post
    I assume you're referring to Saloon on Calhoun? They got some very good and very bad publicity all in one shot, just depended which side of the fence you're on. I like that that stayed open.
    Agreed! and I think a majority of the society outside of the doomsday preppers felt the same way.
    Don't know if it is true or not as I haven't researched it but one of my customers this morning stated that he had heard that China and South Korea are starting to shut down covid-19 response medical units as the cases of new infection had either dropped significantly or stopped, not so sure if they can be trusted as who knows how long they actually had it before reporting it in the first place, if it is true this is very good news and should give some indication of duration and how long we may potentially have to deal with this.

Wisconsin closing all non essential businesses Tuesday...….YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

I will admit I was a fox news watcher until this came about and the final draw was when bars and restaurants were ordered to close and they made themselves the police to this order and sent out their anchor people out to find out who was and who wasn't following the order and then making a news story about the one they found who didn't, i hope they were proud of themselves and I have to laugh though when they interviewed the owner, his response was that of which im sure was the opinion of most level headed people. Fox news...no thanks!
    Agree with all! This deal did it in for us also. My wife couldn't believe how knowingly duplicitous most had become on FOX. Wallace is all that's left on FOX. Sad.
    Last edited by old abe; 03-23-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Every state will eventually follow. Once an entity gets the boat rocking they all follow suit. First it was sporting events,,, then schools,,, bar restaurants,, now entire states.

At some point our "leaders" in the country are going to have to take a hard look and ask themselves, is this all worth it?
    6 months from now when our economy is destroyed,,, suicides are up 2000%, foreclosures up 2000%, unemployment at 25%. Millions of small business go extinct for good, Our GDP is 40% of what it was. Was it all worth it?

Wisconsin closing all non essential businesses Tuesday....YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

The midwest governor's are racing to see who can destroy their state first.

Surprised Sconnie beat MN to it.....

Yup only thing matters is all mighty dollar....keep it open.!!!!!!!!

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    Every state will eventually follow. Once an entity gets the boat rocking they all follow suit. First it was sporting events,,, then schools,,, bar restaurants,, now entire states.

At some point our "leaders" in the country are going to have to take a hard look and ask themselves, is this all worth it?
    6 months from now when our economy is destroyed,,, suicides are up 2000%, foreclosures up 2000%, unemployment at 25%. Millions of small business go extinct for good, Our GDP is 40% of what it was. Was it all worth it?
    No it is not worth ruining everything. Plus it is already too late anyway. It is airborne and it is all over. There never was a way to stop it. Everybody will get it and the vast majority will come out of it just fine. Just like the swine flu. Just like H1N1. Just like any other Corona virus. The only difference this time is that the economy will be ruined because of the hysteria the media generated. The mortality rate will be the same as it would have been without all this commotion. But the economy won't.

We tried calling the number it said to call on the government covid site to find out where we fell in necessity business and low and behold....that office was closed and the lady who answered was from the insurance side of it, tried to help us but couldn't really answer...surprise surprise. Sorry folks but I'm still going to work.

yet Wisconsin primary on the 7th is a go LOL,,,,
    Never mind 98 % of the volunteers at the polling station are over 65
    Seriously I can't make this **** up

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    I'm not a Fox fan, but they are still 1,000 times better than the Communist News Network.

Illinois will win that one

[QUOTE=dcsnomo;492196]
    What if no TP is ever produced again...what IF [/QUOTe

Sure, I can explain the ifs easily...IF THE HOSPITAL IS FULL THEN YOU DONT GET TREATMENT.

simple
    That is just another IF in the discussion....lol
    Last edited by snobuilder; 03-24-2020 at 05:27 AM.

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

IF I were in the nursing home and IF I am never going to get out of the nursing home IF I can no longer eat the stuff I like to eat and IF I am never going to get laid again and IF I am never going to go to my favorite bar and hang out with my buddies because they are already dead and IF I can't ever ride my snowmobile again and my stupid children could have gotten a lot more for my last snowmobile when they sold it. I would say bring on this big bad conoravirus.

Question... Each year you go for a flu shot you are receiving and injection for a strain of flu virus that is essentially a best scientific guess by the CDC or WHO correct? And we have had years where the injection has provided little of none protection against the strain of virus that makes itself present for that flu season, so there is no generic injection that will protect you against all possible strains of the flu. The word as a whole is working feverishly to develop a vaccine against the covid-19 virus as we speak, Since there are so many strains of the flu out there can you get vaccinated for more than one strain? or just the best guessed one put forward by the CDC o WHO. My question is if does anyone know if you can be vaccinated for multiple strains? if you cant what do we do next flu season, if you cant what do we do as i'm sure covid-19 will never completely go away, do we vaccinate against covid-19 or the common influenza and let one or the othe run rampid and again do we react in the same manor, or what if covid-19 morphs into something else like other strains of flu have, do we react the same?

Question... Each year you go for a flu shot you are receiving and injection for a strain of flu virus that is essentially a best scientific guess by the CDC or WHO correct? And we have had years where the injection has provided little of none protection against the strain of virus that makes itself present for that flu season, so there is no generic injection that will protect you against all possible strains of the flu. The word as a whole is working feverishly to develop a vaccine against the covid-19 virus as we speak, Since there are so many strains of the flu out there can you get vaccinated for more than one strain? or just the best guessed one put forward by the CDC o WHO. My question is if does anyone know if you can be vaccinated for multiple strains? if you cant what do we do next flu season, if you cant what do we do as i'm sure covid-19 will never completely go away, do we vaccinate against covid-19 or the common influenza and let one or the othe run rampid and again do we react in the same manor, or what if covid-19 morphs into something else like other strains of flu have, do we react the same?
    There are already at least two strains of SARS-CoV-2.

https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance...waa036/5775463

Population genetic analyses of 103 SARS-CoV-2 genomes indicated that these viruses evolved into two major types (designated L and S), that are well defined by two different SNPs that show nearly complete linkage across the viral strains sequenced to date. Although the L type (∼70%) is more prevalent than the S type (∼30%), the S type was found to be the ancestral version. Whereas the L type was more prevalent in the early stages of the outbreak in Wuhan, the frequency of the L type decreased after early January 2020.

I am not a scientist, but I read that the flu virus mutates, thus requiring annual shots to address the strain expected for the oncoming season. So far, the Covid-19 virus has not mutated significantly, and if this continues a vaccine once in your life (like the polio vaccine) would be effective.

Again, I am not a scientist, just relaying an article I read. I yield to those who know more.

I am not a scientist, but I read that the flu virus mutates, thus requiring annual shots to address the strain expected for the oncoming season. So far, the Covid-19 virus has not mutated significantly, and if this continues a vaccine once in your life (like the polio vaccine) would be effective.

Again, I am not a scientist, just relaying an article I read. I yield to those who know more.
    First of all, the virus HAS already evolved, and there are at least two distinct strains in circulation. See previous post.

Second, immunity to Corona viruses usually does not last for long. If they do develop an effective vaccine (for the new virus, SARS-CoV-2), it might only give immunity for a few months or a few years. It almost certainly will not give lifetime immunity. In testing of people who had the first SARS virus in 2003, they found that antibodies were still present after two years, but dropped off sharply in the third year. It is entirely possible that people who have recovered from COVID-19 will be susceptible to it again in a few years. And they never did develop an effective vaccine to the first SARS, which should tell you a lot about how difficult it is. SARS-CoV-2 shares about 90% of it's DNA with the SARS-CoV, so they are very similar.

On a related note, when they were attempting to develop a vaccine for the first SARS, one of their vaccines resulted in liver failure and death in the test animals (after exposure to the live virus). Do you want to be a guinea pig for human trials? I'll take my chances with the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    First of all, the virus HAS already evolved, and there are at least two distinct strains in circulation. See previous post.

Second, immunity to Corona viruses usually does not last for long. If they do develop an effective vaccine (for the new virus, SARS-CoV-2), it might only give immunity for a few months or a few years. It almost certainly will not give lifetime immunity. In testing of people who had the first SARS virus in 2003, they found that antibodies were still present after two years, but dropped off sharply in the third year. It is entirely possible that people who have recovered from COVID-19 will be susceptible to it again in a few years. And they never did develop an effective vaccine to the first SARS, which should tell you a lot about how difficult it is. SARS-CoV-2 shares about 90% of it's DNA with the SARS-CoV, so they are very similar.

On a related note, when they were attempting to develop a vaccine for the first SARS, one of their vaccines resulted in liver failure and death in the test animals (after exposure to the live virus). Do you want to be a guinea pig for human trials? I'll take my chances with the virus.
    What I read is that a SARS vaccine was ready to go into human trials in 2016, but there was not enough interest/financial support for the trial to happen since it had been 13 years since anyone had contracted SARS.