View Poll Results: How's it looking from your viewpoint?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Working/Business as Usual

60 38.71%
  • Working/ But slowing down

37 23.87%
  • Working/But it doesn't look good

15 9.68%
  • We're Done/Turn out the Lights

7 4.52%
  • Self Employed/Retired

36 23.23%
    Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Default POLL; Corona Virus & Your Job

The Poll is anonymous but if you'd like to mention your thoughts on the matter, please do so. You can post just as you would do on any other thread.

turned out the lights

Need to add busier than usual.

One thing for certain with all the uncertainty, we're all in this together.

Just some random thoughts here. We're about 10 miles from the airport in Appleton. I haven't seen an airliner overhead in more than a week. I don't know if they're even flying or who would want to. Gasoline should hit a buck fifty locally sometime this week but for those not working... it doesn't move the needle. I had a call from one of the local Rec. dealers yesterday, the new Ski Doo's are on the floor and he asked me to stop in. Somehow it just wouldn't feel right these days. Though I might be interested in one of their generators if things get worse. I finally screwed up my courage to assess the damage to our stocks and funds over the weekend, like most others it's one big black smoking hole. Again, we're all in this together. Stay healthy, keep your family safe, and better days are coming.

Last edited by gary_in_neenah; 03-22-2020 at 03:26 PM.

We are busier than usual due to people calling in due to child care issues or just paranoia.

I work for a large medical device/implant manufacturer and have been told we are a critical/essential manufacturer that will be staying open even in the event of a state shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    One thing for certain with all the uncertainty, we're all in this together.

Just some random thoughts here. We're about 10 miles from the airport in Appleton. I haven't seen an airliner overhead in more than a week. I don't know if they're even flying or who would want to. Gasoline should hit a buck fifty locally sometime this week but for those not working... it doesn't move the needle. I had a call from one of the local Rec. dealers yesterday, the new Ski Doo's are on the floor and he asked me to stop in. Somehow it just wouldn't feel right these days. Though I might be interested in one of their generators if things get worse. I finally screwed up my courage to assess the damage to our stocks and funds over the weekend, like most others it's one big black smoking hole. Again, we're all in this together. Stay healthy, keep your family safe, and better days are coming.
    Yep, pretty much covers it!

Self employed AND slowing down. My businesses are open but at a reduced capacity. I'm blessed to at least be operating at 80-85% capacity...as of now. Have a lot of employees all hoping to keep getting a paycheck.

Were slowing down and self employed just have a felling if they don’t open back up 2-3 weeks away from now there is going to be a big depression and they will lose a lot more people to violence and self inflicted violence cus many lost it all and a lot from this and it seems the government wants everyone to have 6 months cash savings to survive but airplane company’s couldn’t make it a week without asking for coin and they want to give it to them again instead of Main Street small business people it’s depressing

small business owner, the type of business this is our very busy season especially in service, when they hype really started a little over a week ago our walk in traffic dropped off significantly, this saturday however was different and was steady. Looked on line incase it ever gets to stay put order and I think we fall into the group that can continue business. Am I worried? yes but even more concerned for all of the small business that has been shut down already. Economics show that a large majority of people live paycheck to paycheck and although the common assumption when you own a business you are automatically independently wealthy for alot of small business this is not true, they operate week to week or month to month, even though the small business owner has everything at risk and for many is a life long dream and investment and the sad truth is there are many that will never reopen. This is where I have a big problem with the stimulus package forgiving student debt, for what 20, 30 ,40 50 thousand dollars while small business owners who are right now a viable part of the economy just disappear losing everything they have, shattering a life long dream at no choice to them? its just wrong. i will continue to run business as usual until i am told I cant and if that time comes I will do so with complete and udder reluctance. I think when this is all over things will change yes but i also think there will be a large group of people who will question if this reaction was worth it and will demand change in policy and procedure.

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

I own a grocery store. Three weeks ago we did 53000. Which is absolutely normal for this time of the year. This week we did 93000. It won't last though. Most people have their stuff now. They are also ready for this to be done and move on to the next catastrophe. Thankfully we will have a flood in about three weeks. After that spring planting will start. In two months the people around here will have forgotten all about the coronavirus.

HD is busier than black friday with so many honey do lists and now time to do them....Paint dpt, flooring, lumber...too bad it's so cold out for garden to be overwhelmed.

Our business provides an essential service to healthcare....laundry/linen services, so we're fine. But, believe it or not, business has dropped substantially in the last week. We couldn't keep up 2 weeks ago, and now are cutting hours and sending folks home early. Nobody going to the hospital unless you got the Corona or having a baby, and not many in the hospital with the Corona.

Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post
    HD is busier than black friday with so many honey do lists and now time to do them....Paint dpt, flooring, lumber...too bad it's so cold out for garden to be overwhelmed.
    Your bonus will be so large you'll need 2 "new" 650's, eh!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    I own a grocery store. Three weeks ago we did 53000. Which is absolutely normal for this time of the year. This week we did 93000. It won't last though. Most people have their stuff now. They are also ready for this to be done and move on to the next catastrophe. Thankfully we will have a flood in about three weeks. After that spring planting will start. In two months the people around here will have forgotten all about the coronavirus.
    Yeah, well, as the song says, "Time goes on", eh?

Quote Originally Posted by dothedoo View Post
    Our business provides an essential service to healthcare....laundry/linen services, so we're fine. But, believe it or not, business has dropped substantially in the last week. We couldn't keep up 2 weeks ago, and now are cutting hours and sending folks home early. Nobody going to the hospital unless you got the Corona or having a baby, and not many in the hospital with the Corona.
    no Way....The alarmists are saying the hospitals are going to be overwhelmed.....even though these same hospitals were able to handle 500,000 flu symptom hospitalizations last year.

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    small business owner, the type of business this is our very busy season especially in service, when they hype really started a little over a week ago our walk in traffic dropped off significantly, this saturday however was different and was steady. Looked on line incase it ever gets to stay put order and I think we fall into the group that can continue business. Am I worried? yes but even more concerned for all of the small business that has been shut down already. Economics show that a large majority of people live paycheck to paycheck and although the common assumption when you own a business you are automatically independently wealthy for alot of small business this is not true, they operate week to week or month to month, even though the small business owner has everything at risk and for many is a life long dream and investment and the sad truth is there are many that will never reopen. This is where I have a big problem with the stimulus package forgiving student debt, for what 20, 30 ,40 50 thousand dollars while small business owners who are right now a viable part of the economy just disappear losing everything they have, shattering a life long dream at no choice to them? its just wrong. i will continue to run business as usual until i am told I cant and if that time comes I will do so with complete and udder reluctance. I think when this is all over things will change yes but i also think there will be a large group of people who will question if this reaction was worth it and will demand change in policy and procedure.
    Brian I’ve only seen where the government is talking about letting people with student loans not have to pay at this time not where they are forgiving then forever. But I don’t watch a lot of news so maybe I’m missing something. Not starting an argument just wondering where you have gotten that info. And no I don't have any student loans to just interested where this news comes from.

I think it's the extreme shortage of PPE, which started before COVID-19, contributing to the cancelling of lots of non-urgent procedures. If you do need surgery, we're not far from your surgeon cutting into you while wearing jeans and a tee shirt with a bandana over his/her face.

I work in the Oil and Gas industry...A combination of the COVID-19 causing a reduction in demand plus the Russia Vs Saudi oil fight is hurting us bad.

US oil producers need to be at $40+ a barrel to be profitable- We are well below that.

One save grace for my company is a new initiative where flare gas is being used to create power with natural gas ICE generators which in turn powers Bitcoin miners. Each “miner” requires approx 1.5 MW of power.

FYI- Expecting nationwide “lockdown” to be announced this Monday or Tuesday (same as CA right now). Grocery stores and other essentials to be kept open.

Not in 10 days

no Way....The alarmists are saying the hospitals are going to be overwhelmed.....even though these same hospitals were able to handle 500,000 flu symptom hospitalizations last year.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy600 View Post
    Brian I’ve only seen where the government is talking about letting people with student loans not have to pay at this time not where they are forgiving then forever. But I don’t watch a lot of news so maybe I’m missing something. Not starting an argument just wondering where you have gotten that info. And no I don't have any student loans to just interested where this news comes from.
    last weak watching morning news and I dont remember which member of government they were just saying that it could be potential part of stimulus package, i'm not saying that they were going to but the fact that they were discussing or considering it just upsets me that they would even considering it when that money could be put to far better use, enabling small businesses to cover bills like rent, mortgage, insurance for a month or two so that they would be able to reopen because there will be many that wont be able to reopen, and this wasn't their choice. Or fast track the process to develop treatment or a vaccine for this virus. i agree with deferring interest or payment temporarily and not just for student loans, just not forgiving them, I too have heard nothing more about it and I hope it is off the table. And no worries about looking for argument, neither am I,just voicing an opinion.

The problem is most N95 masks, polypropylene coveralls are made in Wuhan China where this all began. So are most hairnets that are used in food service great thought..not). We do have 3M and another company in Ca that makes n95 masks. We actually need China for this type PPE products. All their factories were shut down for CNY and then for the virus. They are just starting to get back to work. I think the supply will get better soon.
    There is an additional 25% tariff on these items coming from China, maybe our president should remove this for the time being? Nobody in this country really want to sew coveralls and hairnets...trust me.

well NO option for me LOL
    I am too young to retire, but was forced out of working due to health issue's
    been living of my savings the past 10+ yrs now, as also too stubborn to collect any government hand out!

so, for me, on finances, NOTHING has changed one bit for me, minus my savings keep getting lower all the time, but that's been happening for a decade now!
    so cannot blame it on any virus that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    Not in 10 days
    what is that suppose to mean?

Means u can’t compare the flu and as u say 500,000 hospitals visits over X amount of months vs a pandemic that a hospital might see 500,000 visits in a week.

QUOTE=snobuilder;492190]what is that suppose to mean?[/QUOTE]

I'm a retired pastor, BUT, not many pastor's retire. I'm 75 and serving a congregation 55 miles from me. Church is currently closed but I am still preaching over the internet and I am able to make a few calls to homes. I can't visit anyone in the hospital or a nursing home. Plans for when we return is the first Sunday is "Palm Sunday" and the rest of the week we will be having Holy Week services of Maundy Thursday and Good Friday and celebrating Easter the following Sunday. Calendar dates are just that, dates. Props and prayers to all who are involved in this fight; our doctors, nurses and EMT's. Can't forget fire and police. Since I am a veteran, big props to the Natl Guard and what they will be doing on the front line. Stay safe and stay well my JD friends.

Corporate acct/finance for large hospital group. Same work, just doing it at home. It's too early to tell what impact this has had on our hospitals.

We are considered a critical manufacturer so even in the event of a shelter in place order we will stay open. not sure how many people will show up for work though. We've moved as many people to working from home as we can but you just can't build trucks from home so we still need a lot of people at the plant. We'll se what happens over the next month.

last weak watching morning news and I dont remember which member of government they were just saying that it could be potential part of stimulus package, i'm not saying that they were going to but the fact that they were discussing or considering it just upsets me that they would even considering it when that money could be put to far better use, enabling small businesses to cover bills like rent, mortgage, insurance for a month or two so that they would be able to reopen because there will be many that wont be able to reopen, and this wasn't their choice. Or fast track the process to develop treatment or a vaccine for this virus. i agree with deferring interest or payment temporarily and not just for student loans, just not forgiving them, I too have heard nothing more about it and I hope it is off the table. And no worries about looking for argument, neither am I,just voicing an opinion.
    no not off the table in fact Nancy just came back from vacation and pretty much got her crew together to stop the bill that was hammered out all week . for 1 thing becuse it did not include a,10k per student loan debt forgiveness package . I really really hope every person in washingtion got a long hug from rand Paul last week

We are in the men’s tuxedo and suit rental business in Indiana and Michigan, all weddings and proms have been canceled or postponed for the next few weeks. We will begin sewing reusable masks for the local hospitals and nursing homes today with our alteration department. The next two months are our biggest concern for revenue and will decide whether we will be sledding next season. We have been very blessed since we started in business in 1963 and hope and pray this will be temporary.To God be the glory!

Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    no not off the table in fact Nancy just came back from vacation and pretty much got her crew together to stop the bill that was hammered out all week . for 1 thing becuse it did not include a,10k per student loan debt forgiveness package . I really really hope every person in washingtion got a long hug from rand Paul last week
    Disgusting. And a hug from good ole Mitt - anyone see the Presidents comment on him testing positive?? LOL - you have to laugh once in a while, right??

I only say disgusting to the 10k requirement, because honestly, is that what we are worried about right now? These kids (I have two) and their debt won't become a priority until they come due - we have plenty of time to deal with that. Let's get people who are unemployed at the moment taken care of first.
    Last edited by xcr440; 03-23-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post

i only say disgusting to the 10k requirement, because honestly, is that what we are worried about right now? These kids (i have two) and their debt won't become a priority until they come due - we have plenty of time to deal with that. Let's get people who are unemployed at the moment taken care of first.
    exactly!!! X100

Disgusting. And a hug from good ole Mitt - anyone see the Presidents comment on him testing positive?? LOL - you have to laugh once in a while, right??

I only say disgusting to the 10k requirement, because honestly, is that what we are worried about right now? These kids (I have two) and their debt won't become a priority until they come due - we have plenty of time to deal with that. Let's get people who are unemployed at the moment taken care of first.
    Totally agree.

The democrats just keep digging.....I can't imagine even the biggest Trump hating leftists are worried about student debt at this time.....If they are then I will go back and say this really isn't a crisis, just another manufactured coup attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by dwz View Post
    We are in the men’s tuxedo and suit rental business in Indiana and Michigan, all weddings and proms have been canceled or postponed for the next few weeks. We will begin sewing reusable masks for the local hospitals and nursing homes today with our alteration department. The next two months are our biggest concern for revenue and will decide whether we will be sledding next season. We have been very blessed since we started in business in 1963 and hope and pray this will be temporary.To God be the glory!
    I applaude your taking steps in this situation.
    Not trying to be a debbie downer. But a cloth mask won't stop virus. Seems like a waste of time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    Means u can’t compare the flu and as u say 500,000 hospitals visits over X amount of months vs a pandemic that a hospital might see 500,000 visits in a week.

QUOTE=snobuilder;492190]what is that suppose to mean?
    [/QUOTE]

As of right now, my wife works in Emergency Room at a few different hospitals. She saw 8 patients yesterday. Usually see's 5-10 times that per 12 hr shift.
    Who knows what will happen in a week or 2. She will be working until she gets it and is quarantined.

I think this poll is starting to show how snowmobilers have good well paying jobs (Meaning not as many in the service industry) - we have to in order to be riding $5-$10-$15k machines!!

Not trying to make light of people losing their jobs over this, just saying. We shouldn't be surprised by this kind of poll results on a primarily sledding site.

I loved his little dig on Mitt yesterday

For us work has been the same as it was before this all started.
    Only thing is the State and at the County level is has made getting permits alittle more interesting because they are working from home with limited staffing at offices.
    We are a septic installation and repair company.
    We have alot of protocall with hand washing and suits if going into confined environments .
    Soap and water always handy.
    Everyone be safe out there.
    Alot of people can be affected from this.
    Thxs
    Howie

Has anyone seen the new potential stimulus package? 10k forgiveness of student loans...wrong, anyone with a social number will receive stimulus money... wait a minute even those who are already being supported by the government and are guaranteed a check irregardless of how good or bad the world is doing or those who have perfected the craft of milking the government...I don't agree with this. Increasing the unemployment benefits, making more eligible, not requiring job search....I can clearly see this benefiting those who live on employment and those who just don't want to work just going to see a bigger incentive not to, and I haven't yet seen lifting the penalty to the employer that will pay more as result of unemployment claim, or longer collection period for business owners. Putting a hold on mortgage and rent payments, you would have to do both as landlords still have a mortgage payment so you just cant put hold on rent. I have to say that a lot of provisions will just open things up to fraud, and first and foremost the help should go to those that have of no choice to them have lost their job and to business owners that too no choice to them have had to close their doors and prevent them from being closed permanently, this should be our first priority. I forget the number but the projected amount of businesses that likely wont be open their doors again is unacceptable and I have news for everyone, if they don't reopen you will still have a influx of jobless people, will there be enough jobs out there to absorb this? I assure you there wont be as many people wanting to open their own business after. Last night on the WH press release they admitted that the mortality rate is expected to be way less than initially estimated, Is it worth it what we are doing now to both small and big business and the economy as a whole? and they are convinced this will snap back instantly and stronger than before, I hope they are right but I don't see how that will be possible.

Our company does fiber and is considered essential for Homeland security. So I got lucky plus all of work is outside away from people so I feel relatively safe. I feel for those whose job is not considered essential and not knowing when you will be able to return to work. Sounds like our president wants things to return to normal the end of next week,no matter where we stand with Covid-19.
    Last edited by hermie; 03-24-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Part of the essential group. Company that I work for is a contract pharma company. However my job is nonessential to actually making/analyzing product so I can work from home. One thing I do want to pass on was what my parents always said "SAVE FOR A RAINY DAY". They lived through the depression. I guess they knew what they were talking about! Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by firenut View Post
    Part of the essential group. Company that I work for is a contract pharma company. However my job is nonessential to actually making/analyzing product so I can work from home. One thing I do want to pass on was what my parents always said "SAVE FOR A RAINY DAY". They lived through the depression. I guess they knew what they were talking about! Just saying...
    Looks like its gonna be a wet spring. Stay safe peeps!

Guess making paper is essential......no fishing vacation for me.☹️

The company I work for, and what we do, is essential, found out after lunch today. We have reduced hours right now, 36 per week, and I can see us dropping to 32, with maybe some voluntary lay offs. Some customers are putting jobs on hold right now. Hopefully this gets over with soon, and I bet we go from 36 hours a week, right to 50. Lol.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    The company I work for, and what we do, is essential, found out after lunch today. We have reduced hours right now, 36 per week, and I can see us dropping to 32, with maybe some voluntary lay offs. Some customers are putting jobs on hold right now. Hopefully this gets over with soon, and I bet we go from 36 hours a week, right to 50. Lol.
    I'm hoping you are right!

My side job is making cow bells. So you know how that goes.

Thanks Mr. Walken!

HD was black friday type busy Fri, Sat and Sun....crisis...what crisis?

Supertrump

Self employed and turned off the lights and locked the door tonight...

With all of the loopholes in this so called "safer in place" idea, unless you are a bar restaurant owner packing your place with patrons.....who will be busting you and will that stand in court?
    These are all new challenges to the constitution. Everything needs to be tested in court.

I vote : Self Employed/Retired

Good news to those who have lost their job or may return to work some day to closed doors..... Well not really.... Stimulus package passed.... If you are set up with IRS as direct deposit you will likely have your money by April 6th.... If you receive a return by check from the IRS it could take up to 4 months for you to get your money.... GENIUSES !!! you have got to be kidding me!! Some of these people were forced out of work immediately and no choice to them and we are going to make them wait for up to 4 months if you don't have direct deposit from IRS! Way to go guys!

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Stimulus passed in the Senate and now goes to Nancy and the House (again). IF she/they approve it it'll go to the president for signing. I think this'll be the 3rd attempt.

For the people that need it, I think it is great. Waiting 4 months is unacceptable and I'll assume that we'll be taxed on the checks same as Unemployment. Looks like "the Swamp" wins again!

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Stimulus passed in the Senate and now goes to Nancy and the House (again). IF she/they approve it it'll go to the president for signing. I think this'll be the 3rd attempt.

For the people that need it, I think it is great. Waiting 4 months is unacceptable and I'll assume that we'll be taxed on the checks same as Unemployment. Looks like "the Swamp" wins again!
    For people to collect more on unemployment than they would have while working is nuts

Someone here at work said he read unemployment would be 900 a week? Between state and the federal help? That is more than I make! Sign me up!
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    For people to collect more on unemployment than they would have while working is nuts
    AGREED X 1,000,000 More incentive for those that weren't working before this to continue to not work....why would you? I wish I could give myself a pay raise !

I'm pretty sure that Unemployment will remain a percentage of your Gross wages though they may extend it past the current 26 weeks.

As for the federal payout, the numbers keep changing. $1,200 for single and $2,400 for married couples based on this year's income tax if you've filed already. If you haven't filed yet, last years W2 would be used. The numbers that keep changing are for those that qualify. Not everyone gets a check. If your income exceeds the limit you get nuttin. I've seen that number vary from 75K to 150K for household income limits. Guess we'll just sit on our hands until we know more.

Me? I'm doing my part for social distancing. I'm babysitting 3 racks of Baby Backs on the Smoker today.

Just found this from CNN;

(CNN) - If you're a single U.S. resident and your adjusted gross income is $75,000 or less, you will get a $1,200 check from the U.S. government.

Americans are expected to receive direct payments as part of a $2 trillion coronavirus outbreak stimulus package that passed the Senate on Wednesday.
    The more you earn, the less you will get. You get nothing if you make $99,000 a year or more.

The bill still must go through the House - a vote to pass it is expected Friday - and be signed into law by the president.

The income levels are based on tax returns for 2019. For those who have not yet filed their taxes this year, it will be based on 2018 returns.

For married couples, you will receive $2,400 if you make a combined $150,000 or less. People making above that will receive a lesser amount on a sliding scale up to people who make $198,000 or more, who will not receive money.

Parents with children who are 16 years old and younger will receive $500 per child. That also phases out for people with higher incomes - single parents who make $109,000 or more and couples making $208,000 or more will get nothing.

If you are on unemployment assistance, you will get another $600 per week on top of the amount your state already pays. That extra amount is available for up to four months.

No $1,200 for me. But I'm glad the people that really need it will have a bit of help.

Yummy!! I got a couple racks in the freezer. Guess I know what I am cooking sunday!! Here is a couple from last summer. IMG_20190702_204803545.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    I don't get that either. But what about the people taking a substantial pay cut on unemployment? So they're talking about increase unemployment by $600. Makes good sense for higher wage workers that would be taking a substantial earnings cut. Standard unemployment rate is approximately50% of average weekly wage. [ in Mn. Unemployment max is around $740 a week up to 26 weeks (talk of increasing to 39 weeks)] So that'd put lower wage workers above their average wage. How hard would it be to put it in with a stipulation of - Up to $600 extra, not to exceed 10% (or some acceptable %) less than their average wage. It should be less than average wage, even in this financial crisis. Some people will not go back to work if making more than their average wages. Has to be an incentive to go back to work, benefits would be part of their incentive (health ins. Etc.)
    Seems simple enough to me, and I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    I'm currently on unemployment, am I going to get the extra $600 a week? Hope so, this ordeal could keep me from going back to work as normal in April/early May. Hoping the extension on weeks (and available benefit amount $ is also a factor on your claims) is automatically added to my benefit year. Lots of factors to consider in this. I know it won't be fair to all, but hopefully it will be for the majority.

The Law Firm I work for has transitioned to a Work from Home model. Only Essential employees are allowed to go to the office until further notice.

Dang,,
    I'll bring a 12er.

I'm pretty sure that Unemployment will remain a percentage of your Gross wages though they may extend it past the current 26 weeks.

As for the federal payout, the numbers keep changing. $1,200 for single and $2,400 for married couples based on this year's income tax if you've filed already. If you haven't filed yet, last years W2 would be used. The numbers that keep changing are for those that qualify. Not everyone gets a check. If your income exceeds the limit you get nuttin. I've seen that number vary from 75K to 150K for household income limits. Guess we'll just sit on our hands until we know more.

Me? I'm doing my part for social distancing. I'm babysitting 3 racks of Baby Backs on the Smoker today.

Just found this from CNN;

(CNN) - If you're a single U.S. resident and your adjusted gross income is $75,000 or less, you will get a $1,200 check from the U.S. government.

Americans are expected to receive direct payments as part of a $2 trillion coronavirus outbreak stimulus package that passed the Senate on Wednesday.
    The more you earn, the less you will get. You get nothing if you make $99,000 a year or more.

The bill still must go through the House - a vote to pass it is expected Friday - and be signed into law by the president.

The income levels are based on tax returns for 2019. For those who have not yet filed their taxes this year, it will be based on 2018 returns.

For married couples, you will receive $2,400 if you make a combined $150,000 or less. People making above that will receive a lesser amount on a sliding scale up to people who make $198,000 or more, who will not receive money.

Parents with children who are 16 years old and younger will receive $500 per child. That also phases out for people with higher incomes - single parents who make $109,000 or more and couples making $208,000 or more will get nothing.

If you are on unemployment assistance, you will get another $600 per week on top of the amount your state already pays. That extra amount is available for up to four months.
    That kinda sucks for me. Guess I will be penalized for filing early and making sure the feds got their share of a home sale....That gain puts us over the limit if 2019 will be used.

I guess I wasn't meant to receive gubmint welfare.

Really the stimulus checks are going to be based on 2020 adjusted gross income. Since 2020 income is not available right now the IRS is going to use either 2018 or 2019 with 2019 being first choice. If your 2020 income is under the limit you will get the money, but you will have to wait until 2021. In the mean time have another kid so you can qualify for another $500.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/everyth...nt-11585229988

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ck-calculator/
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 03-28-2020 at 01:26 AM.

I am not going to file my 2019 taxes until July. Gotta pay in again... The DINKs lifestyle is not so good at tax time....

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Really the stimulus checks are going to be based on 2020 adjusted gross income. Since 2020 income is not available right now the IRS is going to use either 2018 or 2019 with 2019 being first choice. If your 2020 income is under the limit you will get the money, but you will have to wait until 2020. In the mean time have another kid so you can qualify for another $500.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/everyth...nt-11585229988

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ck-calculator/
    I think you are off by a year. Checks are based on 2019 AGI if you have already filed. Otherwise they will look back to 2018. Your 2020 AGI will be unknown until 12/31/2020.

Quote Originally Posted by ddhanna View Post
    I think you are off by a year. Checks are based on 2019 AGI if you have already filed. Otherwise they will look back to 2018. Your 2020 AGI will be unknown until 12/31/2020.
    Did you read the links I provided in my post? The true-up is based on 2020 income. Since 2020 income is unknown at this time they will use 2019 AGI.

The advance payments will be determined based on 2019 income—or 2018 income if that is all that is available to IRS—and the final amount of the benefits will be determined based on 2020 income and settled on the 2020 tax return. So people who ultimately qualify for more money than they receive this year—a person whose income drops from $100,000 to $70,000, for example—would get the rest through a larger tax refund or smaller tax payment in early 2021.

But people who ultimately qualify for less money than they got this year—a person whose income rises from $70,000 to $100,000—wouldn’t have to pay it back.

Sounds like my 1 year spike in income...2019, already filed....right before the new deadlines... will still keep the stimulus check outta my hands, yet me, my kids and their kids will be saddled with this debt til judgement day.

Some great info here.. thanks guys... the down side is it looks like I am once again screwed no unemployment as I am self employed and no stimulus as I have worked to hard to make a nice life for my family and I however with that said I am glad they are going to help the masses.... I just hope I can get back to work sooner than later.

Yep 6 Trillion divided by 350 million citizens. $17,000 each. Wheres my $17,000??? Im not gonna get anything out of this "stimulus" deal and neither will my customers. $10 milk prices and live cattle under a buck. Yup thats what I call stimulus!!

Before I make a statement I want to make it clear that I am not trying to minimize the fatalities that are occurring. So far we are a FAR... FAR... FAR cry from what the Influenza kills on average globally each and every year and lets say and hopefully we do stay far from that number, next year how about we post maps with confirmed flu cases in each county, do you think the map would look much different than it does now? and lets say and hopefully we do fall way short of the number of fatalities on average from influenza, I'm sure the criers will be up on their podium saying " see it worked!!" do we again shutter the world and destroy the economy to reduce the number of fatalities, even if we could reduce the number globally by 100,000 fatalities, and so far we are even far short of that number, should we do this again and if we don't why don't we.

No answers here, just a few observations. It's been more than a hundred years since the influenza of 1918. We beat it then and we'll beat this thing now. We have more technology and some of the smartest people on the planet working the problem. It's going to take time and we're an impatient bunch.

2.2 Trillion= A stack of 100 dollar bills laid on it's side for more than 500 miles. And to think that some of us won't see a dime. That's a shame.

The Family Fur babies must be lovin having the folks home all day. I don't recall seeing this many people walking their dogs all hours of the day. That's a win-win for exercise and mental health.

Local price of gasoline this morning $1.48 a gallon. Like many others, I have no place to go and all day to get there.

The forecast for next week is for sunshine and 50+ degrees. Time to get the Spyder out for some Wind Therapy! Just what the Doctor ordered.

No answers here, just a few observations. It's been more than a hundred years since the influenza of 1918. We beat it then and we'll beat this thing now. We have more technology and some of the smartest people on the planet working the problem. It's going to take time and we're an impatient bunch.

2.2 Trillion= A stack of 100 dollar bills laid on it's side for more than 500 miles. And to think that some of us won't see a dime. That's a shame.

The Family Fur babies must be lovin having the folks home all day. I don't recall seeing this many people walking their dogs all hours of the day. That's a win-win for exercise and mental health.

Local price of gasoline this morning $1.48 a gallon. Like many others, I have no place to go and all day to get there.

The forecast for next week is for sunshine and 50+ degrees. Time to get the Spyder out for some Wind Therapy! Just what the Doctor ordered.
    Gas prices are ALL OVER the place - $1.09 yesterday, $1.74 today!!

I started a new career last July at the age of 63 in manufacturing. We make wind turbine blades and so far we are open as usual. As of last night MN is on stay at home status so I will find out if a lot of my coworkers stay home on Tuesday morning that live on the east side of the river

I started a new career last July at the age of 63 in manufacturing. We make wind turbine blades and so far we are open as usual. As of last night MN is on stay at home status so I will find out if a lot of my coworkers stay home on Tuesday morning that live on the east side of the river
    Wouldn't it kinda work like a necessary job in MN. if your work is open, you can go to work? I'd think you could leave your house in MN to go to your job in ND. As long as your place of employment is up and running you can go to work.
    I know I'd leave to go to work, chances are slim to none you'd even get pulled over and asked where your going.
    Not like its a quarantine where there should be no one outdoors for any reason.
    I'm thinking if someone doesn't show up for work its cuz they don't want to go. Not cuz they can't.
    Last edited by sweeperguy; 03-28-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearrassler View Post
    People can still cross borders, they just don’t want you to if you don’t have to. Work? Yeah, hopefully your guys show up Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by sweeperguy View Post
    I'm thinking if someone doesn't show up for work its cuz they don't want to go. Not cuz they can't.
    There are some that will look for any reason to stay away from work but I think that most of us will show up. When we have a no travel advisory we don't have to show up but don't get paid and most of the employees love those days and wish they happened all the time. It's like money means nothing to them.

That kinda sucks for me. Guess I will be penalized for filing early and making sure the feds got their share of a home sale....That gain puts us over the limit if 2019 will be used.

I guess I wasn't meant to receive gubmint welfare.
    Sounds like my 1 year spike in income...2019, already filed....right before the new deadlines... will still keep the stimulus check outta my hands, yet me, my kids and their kids will be saddled with this debt til judgement day.
    What are you pissing and moaning about. If you had a spike in income in 2019, then you can still qualify because the refund amount is based on 2020 income. You are just going to have to wait until 2021 to get it.

By the way, the gain on most principal home sales are exempt from taxes unless you had a gain of over $500,000 on the sale if filing a joint tax return. If you made a half million profit on this sale you surely don't need any stimulus refund. Any if you are rich enough to afford a second home you surely don't need any refund.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 03-29-2020 at 10:44 PM.

What's a surly?

What are you pissing and moaning about. If you had a spike in income in 2019, then you can still qualify because the refund amount is based on 2020 income. You are just going to have to wait until 2021 to get it.

By the way, the gain on most principal home sales are exempt from taxes unless you had a gain of over $500,000 on the sale if filing a joint tax return. If you made a half million profit on this sale you surely don't need any stimulus refund. Any if you are rich enough to afford a second home you surely don't need any refund.
    He never said he sold his principal residence.
    So it may have been taxable income.
    Last edited by sweeperguy; 03-29-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Yep 6 Trillion divided by 350 million citizens. $17,000 each. Wheres my $17,000??? Im not gonna get anything out of this "stimulus" deal and neither will my customers. $10 milk prices and live cattle under a buck. Yup thats what I call stimulus!!
    Ya what's happening with the milk price bites. After two nights at a Lake Superior cabin I'm starting to seriously dislike farming.

This was a home we bought and repaired for one of my kids, but those plans changed so the house had to be sold....market was good but I'm not "rich" as you put it.

The way i read it is that because I filed already my 2019 return AGI will disqualify us for a part of the 2.2 TRILLION..... but if I hadn't filed my much lower and "normal" 2018 AGI would be used....Feel like I fell into a black hole just trying to get Uncle Sam his "due" on time.
    Not pissing and moaning, just possibly not comprehending how this will all shake out, as you say in "2021". Hope you are correct.

I never had to take a dime of handouts all my life BUT seeing as how this debt will be around til the next millennium and I as a taxpayer will be expected to pay it back, I will be there in line next to the rest a you slobs....LOL.....AND....if I comprehend 2.2 TRILLION DOLLARS correctly.....you GD right I think I DESERVE as much as the next GUY....and PORK PROJECTS!
    Last edited by snobuilder; 03-30-2020 at 01:15 AM.

BTW...anyone know what the over/under is on how many taxpayers will "qualify" for this handout?
    i'm thinking the actually amount paid out to individuals and married couples will be a drop in the bucket compared to the total of 2.2 TRILLION DOLLARS.

....who gets the rest?...oh wait, I know....poor businesses and pork projects....yea they are much more needy than the hard working, tax paying schmucks who just lost 40% of there life savings over night because of a flu bug.

Also there will be devaluation of the US dollar and inflation to look forward to. Good times. Might be a good time to move to New Zealand.

Before I make a statement I want to make it clear that I am not trying to minimize the fatalities that are occurring. So far we are a FAR... FAR... FAR cry from what the Influenza kills on average globally each and every year and lets say and hopefully we do stay far from that number, next year how about we post maps with confirmed flu cases in each county, do you think the map would look much different than it does now? and lets say and hopefully we do fall way short of the number of fatalities on average from influenza, I'm sure the criers will be up on their podium saying " see it worked!!" do we again shutter the world and destroy the economy to reduce the number of fatalities, even if we could reduce the number globally by 100,000 fatalities, and so far we are even far short of that number, should we do this again and if we don't why don't we.
    "Never let a good crisis go to waste." I think we all know what's happening here...a different year and time and I don't believe any of this panic and hysteria would be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmknman View Post
    Some great info here.. thanks guys... the down side is it looks like I am once again screwed no unemployment as I am self employed and no stimulus as I have worked to hard to make a nice life for my family and I however with that said I am glad they are going to help the masses.... I just hope I can get back to work sooner than later.
    "Who will be covered by the expanded program?"

"The plan wraps in far more workers than are usually eligible for unemployment benefits, including self-employed people and part-time workers."

"The bottom line: Those who are unemployed, are partly unemployed or cannot work for a wide variety of coronavirus-related reasons will be more likely to receive benefits."

Just a thought. Financial experts and people in power always tell us to put money aside for a rainy day or hard times but corporations never do and we end up always giving them our rainy day fund.

Quote Originally Posted by saber1 View Post
    Just a thought. Financial experts and people in power always tell us to put money aside for a rainy day or hard times but corporations never do and we end up always giving them our rainy day fund.
    I work for a company that has squirreled away over $300M in the 15 years I've worked there - we are in a pretty good position to withstand this current situation. ALL of us are very grateful at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Also there will be devaluation of the US dollar and inflation to look forward to. Good times. Might be a good time to move to New Zealand.
    Yup!
    My thoughts too; how do you add 50% of the U.S. GDP into the economy in cash and not expect inflation with a post-crashing of goods available to purchase.

Bear