Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Default Turn Out the Lights, Wisconsin

Surprising that it's come to this but tomorrow Tuesday the start of what they're calling "Safer at Home" begins here in Wisconsin.

Not sure if this good, bad, or otherwise but I'm wondering if it's enforceable. They'd need the kind of numbers only the military could provide. Martial Law? Any who, I came across a list of "Essential" people according to Homeland Security. Wisconsin's Governor has his own list. Look for your spot on the following;

According to Homeland Security, the following industries are considered essential to the infrastructure of the country:

Healthcare and public health
    Communications
    Emergency services
    Chemical
    Government facilities
    Critical manufacturing
    Commercial facilities
    Dams
    Defense industrial base
    Energy
    Financial
    Food and agriculture
    Nuclear reactors, materials, and waste
    Information technology
    Transportation systems
    Water

I am not on that list, therefore I am "Unessential" Until it's time to pay my taxes..... then I guess I'm essential again. I can't wait to see what they do next!

Same here in Michigan. Starts 12:01 am Tuesday.

Enforceable? Martial Law? Why use those terms? It was clearly stated you could still go out and walk your dog, go to your job and go shopping if needed. They are trying to minimize the spread and get more people to take things seriously and stay home unless needed to go out for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdance View Post
    Enforceable? Martial Law? Why use those terms? It was clearly stated you could still go out and walk your dog, go to your job and go shopping if needed. They are trying to minimize the spread and get more people to take things seriously and stay home unless needed to go out for a good reason.
    Sure, keep living life, except for those whose jobs are not considered essential, you people, like me, no work, no pay.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Sure, keep living life, except for those whose jobs are not considered essential, you people, like me, no work, no pay.
    Or people like me that get to stay open but my employees are scared and want to stay home. Do I get to pay them for not working and hope the feds do the right thing?? It's a freaking mess. I know MN hasn't shut down yet but it's gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Or people like me that get to stay open but my employees are scared and want to stay home. Do I get to pay them for not working and hope the feds do the right thing?? It's a freaking mess. I know MN hasn't shut down yet but it's gonna happen.
    hope the feds do the right thing??? HA! X2 I'm planning on still coming to work but will likely have my employees stay home as the walk in traffic will end and not quite sure how we will be able to handle any service/pick up delivery contact with customers, and no surprise we cant get a solid answer from anyone. "its a freaking mess" is an understatement

Or me, who is waiting on payments, but the AP departments are closed or workers not coming in. Not sure when my next checks will be coming in. Already lost some $ due to the lack of visitors to the site because folks were not taking their trips.

Perhaps it's time we all put on our big boy pants and stop worry about things we can't change and see what we can do for others.... Or was that more trendy 80's years ago?

-John

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Perhaps it's time we all put on our big boy pants and stop worry about things we can't change and see what we can do for others.... Or was that more trendy 80's years ago?

-John
    Like not running out and buying 72 rolls of TP when you already have 24 on your shelf..... My grocery people are telling me the orders are standing, things are continuing to flow in, just at the same pace they were 2-3 weeks ago. Sooner or later people aren't going to have room to put stuff, and the shelves will get restocked. Their supply has come back some the last couple days that they actually reopened the unpackaged fresh meat rack.....

Edit: As two others have posted since this, I was agreeing with you John.
    Last edited by xcr440; 03-23-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Or me, who is waiting on payments, but the AP departments are closed or workers not coming in. Not sure when my next checks will be coming in. Already lost some $ due to the lack of visitors to the site because folks were not taking their trips.

-John
    Amen John!

-John
    Perfect! Well said!

-John
    Do those clicks log one per IP address, or do multiple clicks from the same address count?

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    Do those clicks log one per IP address, or do multiple clicks from the same address count?
    Each click counts.

Wife and I watched the movie Midway this weekend. Quite a contrast of what that generation went through compared to ours.... I agree John. We will get through this. Just at what cost. I have had about a dozen deals on machinery that I was feeling quite good about go up in smoke. Every guy gave the same statement. Until this thing calms down and sorts itself out we just aren't buying anything. Thank goodness that the shop and parts counter gets to stay open!!

If you want to know what this all means, I understand that it is based on the Ohio template.

Many businesses will stay open and you will have plenty of legit reasons to leave your house.
    Even a lumber yard hardware store worker can get up at 4 am tomorrow and go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post
    If you want to know what this all means, I understand that it is based on the Ohio template.

Many businesses will stay open and you will have plenty of legit reasons to leave your house.
    Even a lumber yard hardware store worker can get up at 4 am tomorrow and go to work.
    That's it, 2 650's, eh!

Thank goodness that the shop and parts counter gets to stay open!!
    I would think they are going to stay busy - and I also hope the gubmnt realizes that even the essential workers need a way to get to those essential jobs, and let mechanics and the like stay open as well! Its not as easy as just shutting everything down.....

Depending on who you wanted to believe we all knew this was coming months ago. I filled our freezer and stocked our shelves back in January, and waited for sale prices to do it. We have 12 carnivore grandkids that are over every weekend, so we always have extra TP. We'll be eating large for months.
    Now, if we can all work together (yeah right) to keep this virus contained as much as possible, and not prematurely jump the gun once new cases start to decline, maybe we wont need to start this mess all over again... IMO it will get much worse in a week or two. Too bad we didn't ALL prepare and start working to contain this sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Depending on who you wanted to believe we all knew this was coming months ago. I filled our freezer and stocked our shelves back in January, and waited for sale prices to do it. We have 12 carnivore grandkids that are over every weekend, so we always have extra TP. We'll be eating large for months.
    Now, if we can all work together (yeah right) to keep this virus contained as much as possible, and not prematurely jump the gun once new cases start to decline, maybe we wont need to start this mess all over again... IMO it will get much worse in a week or two. Too bad we didn't ALL prepare and start working to contain this sooner.
    I'm in good shape, as we buy in bulk most stuff. Big freeezer lots of storage space.
    But I for 1 had no idea something like this was about to happen.
    Didn't see a post from you saying this was coming.
    I'd of forewarned many people of an upcoming event had I known.

So if I run to the border and go to the north shore of MN until MN throws up the order can I go snowmobiling. Perfect social distancing. No bars open. I make all the meals. Pay at pump with card for gas. Just me and the hubby. The question is will I get fried coming back into Wisconsin? I would be around less people then if I go to Walmart. I can't wait to hear the responses to this.

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Default The New Normal

So we're scheduled to take the dog to the vet on Tuesday for the annual check and shots. The appointment was made long before all this hit the fan. The vet called today with their protocol for office visits.

1. When we get to the vet we're to park in the lot and call their office on the cell phone.
    2. They come out and we hand off the dog which will be going nuts by then due to all the excitement.
    3. The vet does the exam inside and administers the shots and then calls us in the car with the results.
    4. They return the excited and crazed dog to the parking lot along with the bill for services. I write the check and we're on our way.

PS; If we're stopped by law enforcement for leaving our house and traveling unnecessarily this may be my last post for awhile. Wish me luck!

It's the New Normal, Get Used to It

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    So we're scheduled to take the dog to the vet on Tuesday for the annual check and shots. The appointment was made long before all this hit the fan. The vet called today with their protocol for office visits.

1. When we get to the vet we're to park in the lot and call their office on the cell phone.
    2. They come out and we hand off the dog which will be going nuts by then due to all the excitement.
    3. The vet does the exam inside and administers the shots and then calls us in the car with the results.
    4. They return the excited and crazed dog to the parking lot along with the bill for services. I write the check and we're on our way.

PS; If we're stopped by law enforcement for leaving our house and traveling unnecessarily this may be my last post for awhile. Wish me luck!

Just take your '69 Charger and do a lot of "YEEEEHAAAAing". The cops will never catch you!

Good luck Gary. My dogs have got me out of at least one ticket. Most police love dogs!

-John
    Surprised that AP is not functioning as our accounting was all working from home weeks before we had to. Probably do not want to pay to conserve cash flow.

WI Governor did not do enough. Everything should be shut down except for groceries and drug stores. We can survive a couple weeks. If not, then you have not been living to smart to begin with. Look at what is an essential business, it's almost laughable. Get serious, or do nothing at all. Me and my family will be doing our best to stay out of the public eye, we'll stay home as much as possible.

I was told that the transportation industry was "essential" including mechanics and parts people.

Gary I've got some bail money squirreled away! let me know if and or where to send it!!

My work manufactures parts for defense, government, food, and medical industry. We actually are the number one parts supplier for oshkosh truck and they specifically emailed us that we need to stay open to supply them with the parts for their JLTV trucks as we make almost every last part for them including all of the frame sections for the chassis of the trucks. So looks like all 150 employees at my job will continue to risk it to get the biscuit LOL

Surprising that it's come to this but tomorrow Tuesday the start of what they're calling "Safer at Home" begins here in Wisconsin.

Not sure if this good, bad, or otherwise but I'm wondering if it's enforceable. They'd need the kind of numbers only the military could provide. Martial Law? Any who, I came across a list of "Essential" people according to Homeland Security. Wisconsin's Governor has his own list. Look for your spot on the following;

According to Homeland Security, the following industries are considered essential to the infrastructure of the country:

Healthcare and public health
    Communications
    Emergency services
    Chemical
    Government facilities
    Critical manufacturing
    Commercial facilities
    Dams
    Defense industrial base
    Energy
    Financial
    Food and agriculture
    Nuclear reactors, materials, and waste
    Information technology
    Transportation systems
    Water

I am not on that list, therefore I am "Unessential" Until it's time to pay my taxes..... then I guess I'm essential again. I can't wait to see what they do next!
    well the good news is they won't be asking for this taxes till Jul 15th

FLATTEN THE CURVE, straighten the hill, some day the mountain might get 'em but the law never will. Watch out for them revenuers.

Just take your '69 Charger and do a lot of "YEEEEHAAAAing". The cops will never catch you!

Good luck Gary. My dogs have got me out of at least one ticket. Most police love dogs!

Wife's coffee shop company is considered essential I guess cause they get to stay open. What a joke. Coffee really??? Kept her home for a week to avoid people and now she wants to go back because no one is working. I told her "what's that telling ya??"

Oh and I should mention I talked with my brother in-law. He has a good job with Delta airlines. Or did have according to him. He claims they are loosing 50 million dollars a day!! 50 million a day!! How long can a company sustain that?? He figures he won't have a job when this is over...

37,000 people died in 2016 in vehicle crashes in the USA. Maybe we should all quit driving. To the individual that said only health care and grocery stores are important. I hope you have a magic wand to refill the shelves, fix health care workers broken vehicles, produce the products the hospital's need, and I could go on and on with this list.
    The consequences of this will destroy the lives of way more then it helps. Before you say I'm insensitive I'm immune suppressed. Yes I get one life. I chose to live it, and I don't want keeping me alive to destroy the livelihoods of others. I never want that on my conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardPlayHrd View Post
    37,000 people died in 2016 in vehicle crashes in the USA. Maybe we should all quit driving. To the individual that said only health care and grocery stores are important. I hope you have a magic wand to refill the shelves, fix health care workers broken vehicles, produce the products the hospital's need, and I could go on and on with this list.
    The consequences of this will destroy the lives of way more then it helps. Before you say I'm insensitive I'm immune suppressed. Yes I get one life. I chose to live it, and I don't want keeping me alive to destroy the livelihoods of others. I never want that on my conscience.
    well said

There will be more suicide deaths, due to the economic disaster covid-19 is causing, than actual deaths from the covid-19 virus.

There will be more suicide deaths, due to the economic disaster covid-19 is causing, than actual deaths from the covid-19 virus.
    This

Except those persons CHOSE to end their life, the latter did not.

Our government(and other countries) handled this whole situation like crap. Read what South Korea did to flatten the curve on this. They did it with out shutting down their whole economy. They produced test kits immediately and tested everyone who had contact with anyone who had a positive test. It's hard to even get a test in this country. It wasn't taken serious enough from the top of our government. It is a very serious situation whether you want to consider the people that are going to get sick and die, the over whelming of the healthcare system, or the affect it will have on the economy. I hope they can come up with a vaccine quicker than normal, that will calm the situation down immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcrib View Post
    Our government(and other countries) handled this whole situation like crap. Read what South Korea did to flatten the curve on this. They did it with out shutting down their whole economy. They produced test kits immediately and tested everyone who had contact with anyone who had a positive test. It's hard to even get a test in this country. It wasn't taken serious enough from the top of our government. It is a very serious situation whether you want to consider the people that are going to get sick and die, the over whelming of the healthcare system, or the affect it will have on the economy. I hope they can come up with a vaccine quicker than normal, that will calm the situation down immensely.
    From a post above 37000 people die each year in traffic accidents. What has our Government done in the last 20 years to fix this. Maybe we should limit (like 5 miles) how far someone can drive to work.

Iím not saying we donít need to take things seriously, but how can you keep grocery and drug stores open only, if they need to be restocked?? You canít. It takes A LOT more to keep them open. And then what are you doing when you go there, possibly exposing yourself - itís not like an infected person has a big red sign on them, many will not even know they are infected.

If you read and believe the comments made by doctors, 2/3 of us will eventually get some form of exposure. I know we donít want a flood of cases all at once that the hospitals canít handle, but with the social distancing that is being forced upon us thatís not going to happen anymore. High density housing areas are a different story - fly over country never looked better!

I just feel that if we keep this lockdown in place much longer, MANY places will never reopen, they will be too far gone - and the long term effects of this is crushing. Quite honestly I think that is already going to happen for many people. Itís going to take a LONG time before people start congregating again. And then what, cases surge again? It will be interesting to follow what happens in other affected areas when they lift restrictions.

I hope everyone can hold out for a few more weeks, because as far as we are into this now, it wonít be ending anytime soon.

A benefit of this may be an increase in population come December..... HA

Quote Originally Posted by longtrack View Post
    From a post above 37000 people die each year in traffic accidents. What has our Government done in the last 20 years to fix this. Maybe we should limit (like 5 miles) how far someone can drive to work.
    Not really a good comparison. You can control if and how you drive. This thing is pretty much invisible.

Ok WI is shutdown to a point which really hasn’t been defined. People without paychecks for more than 2 weeks can kill their economic lives. We can’t let the cure be worse than the disease. Me I’m calling ahead see what’s open do all my shopping and remodeling contracting early in the AM. This virus is going to run its course no matter what controls are put on it . I’m the at risk group but I’m a risk taker as well always have been. I refuse to be a shut in I’ll not going to live more than a quality life of 10 to 15 years anyway before my life is totally limited. I’m working on home projects thru all of this but need building and landscaping supplies as catch can I guess do what I can.

I too am waiting for clarification, but think I will fall into necessity business, curiously awaiting. However...we don't have them in our state yet but.... In the states where they do exist, if I were a business that was forced to shut down, knowing or not that I could survive the duration of time and not knowing if I could ever reopen my doors... I would be PISSED beyond PISSED while the " marijuana dispensaries" stayed open as a necessity business. And not just saying that because I am against legalized marijuana, but because we may see long established businesses, favorite places to eat or drink, places where society and the general public go to socialize, meet, support local economy and families close... while places that just recently were able to sell a product that not too far in the past was illegal to sell, possess and use are allowed to stay open... I WOULD BE PISSED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    I too am waiting for clarification, but think I will fall into necessity business, curiously awaiting. However...we don't have them in our state yet but.... In the states where they do exist, if I were a business that was forced to shut down, knowing or not that I could survive the duration of time and not knowing if I could ever reopen my doors... I would be PISSED beyond PISSED while the " marijuana dispensaries" stayed open as a necessity business. And not just saying that because I am against legalized marijuana, but because we may see long established businesses, favorite places to eat or drink, places where society and the general public go to socialize, meet, support local economy and families close... while places that just recently were able to sell a product that not too far in the past was illegal to sell, possess and use are allowed to stay open... I WOULD BE PISSED!!!
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by racerx View Post
    Surprised that AP is not functioning as our accounting was all working from home weeks before we had to. Probably do not want to pay to conserve cash flow.
    AP and payroll services are considered "essential" here in IL. The problem is if those people feel sick or scared then they don't come in.

I'm with John on waiting for money.....its the worst. And if it doesn't come soon I will put a hold on paying all of my company bills as well.

Ontario seems to understand their priorities. Listening to a station out of Thunder Bay and they said they are including liquor stores as "essential" businesses!

Haha! OH Canada! I love those folks!

If I'm stuck at home with 5 kids by the end of the day I want my old fashioned so yes alcohol is essential. Plus it disinfects and can help with bad tooth pain!😁

Ontario seems to understand their priorities. Listening to a station out of Thunder Bay and they said they are including liquor stores as "essential" businesses!

IL made liquor stores and medical marijuana stores essential.....nobody would survive if they took those two away!

Quote Originally Posted by fishcrib View Post
    FEMA has been under budget cuts on preventative procedures for several years now. Not a good deal what so ever! I know our county emergency manager, and I am dealing with him on a other FEMA disaster, he told me of this 6 months ago.

I hear your sarcasm
    Traffic death rate has dropped 25% in twenty years, bumpers, roads, airbags, QE and other government have increased prices 100%. how much is to much?

if looking to the east (our future) japan is seeming to come around last few days maybe.

It's essential to the Canadian government, which is addicted to the sin taxes. If you think liquor and cigarette taxes are high here, they don't hold a candle to Ontario.

If the Ontario government didn't own ALL the alcohol stores, I bet they wouldn't be essential.....

As I stated I fall into that at risk population, I was supposed to have a heart check, prescription overview and exam this week, I live in Racine county but my heart doctor and regular doctor is in Milwaukee so with the advent with what is going on and Milwaukee being the most dense of confirmed cases I was going to cancel the appointment because I didn't want to go there healthy and leave sick even though I think we will all for the most part experience the virus in some shape or form before it is all said and done. My doctor office called and cancelled the physical appointment but will be a call from my doctor to conduct an over the phone appointment on Friday, so I am curious what kind of appointment we are going to conduct over the phone.

Oh and I should mention I talked with my brother in-law. He has a good job with Delta airlines. Or did have according to him. He claims they are loosing 50 million dollars a day!! 50 million a day!! How long can a company sustain that?? He figures he won't have a job when this is over...
    Delta should not have bought back 20 billion worth of stock the last years!!! Sorry your bro may be out of a job. But his issue should be with Delta miss managing their cash!!

Quote Originally Posted by srt20 View Post
    If the Ontario government didn't own ALL the alcohol stores, I bet they wouldn't be essential.....
    Yeah, well, you should think about that? Taking liquor away from the Canadian's, is the same as taking the beer away from German's, and Belgium's! Real bad idea, total rebellion, eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Yenann View Post
    Delta should not have bought back 20 billion worth of stock the last years!!! Sorry your bro may be out of a job. But his issue should be with Delta miss managing their cash!!
    Yeah, well, I have to agree with that! All true. There was a whole lot of that going on after the great recession bailout, and then, once again, after the VooDoo tax cuts! Just more Corp/Co crony capitalism, and now they cry, "oh woe is me". The deck is just reshuffled. The "little people", are the ones who take the beating once again.

Help me understand this.....my thinking is that if they didn't go with the stock buyback then those profits would have just created a large tax liability right? If that's the case they would not have a huge stock pile of cash anyways.

I could be wrong but that's just my understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    Help me understand this.....my thinking is that if they didn't go with the stock buyback then those profits would have just created a large tax liability right? If that's the case they would not have a huge stock pile of cash anyways.

I could be wrong but that's just my understanding of it.
    buy backs increase stock price. If stock sold then they would pay the taxes. So no your not right

Getting in your car is the most dangerous thing most of us do every day. Standing next to someone shouldn't be.

8700 sick ppl tested in WI .....some 450 have c-19...and we still are worried about c-19 instead of the regular flu , because the regular flu isn't ever the last straw in a persons end a life, or????

Evers shutting it down until April 24. Can you believe that?

Car dealers fall under the “essential” designation, so we are open for business, both sales and service.

Quote Originally Posted by fcat700 View Post
    Car dealers fall under the “essential” designation, so we are open for business, both sales and service.
    Bergstrom in the Fox Cities shut it ALL down and their presence is a small city in itself. Not sure what is going on with your dealer? Nobody buying cars while working from home and keeping 6 foot distance.

I work for a major Building Materials Manufacturer in S.E. Wisconsin and we are deemed essential. I was presented a document paper from my employer stating where I work and that I need to keep a current paystub with me in my vehicle for when I am traveling to and from work to show proof to law enforcement.
    Definitely seems strange that there are these limitations, almost feels like being violated to a certain degree.
    However, I'm glad to be working, my wife was not so fortunate along with so many others that were laid off. I just hope all of us can come out of the other side of this without being in financial ruins!

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    Bergstrom in the Fox Cities shut it ALL down and their presence is a small city in itself. Not sure what is going on with your dealer? Nobody buying cars while working from home and keeping 6 foot distance.
    Zimbrick shut down for two weeks, 950 people.

So what happens when they lift the restrictions, did the virus suddenly die? Disappear? Go away? This will never end if they keep going - this is NOT a sustainable model to continue living under.

I'm sorry to say this to people who are scared and at risk, but most of the experts say 60-70% of us will get it eventually. If we go on the current plan, that would take YEARS to work this through our communities. NO WAY can we sustain a functioning society like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    So what happens when they lift the restrictions, did the virus suddenly die? Disappear? Go away? This will never end if they keep going - this is NOT a sustainable model to continue living under.

I'm sorry to say this to people who are scared and at risk, but most of the experts say 60-70% of us will get it eventually. If we go on the current plan, that would take YEARS to work this through our communities. NO WAY can we sustain a functioning society like this.
    They are trying to figure out the fine line between completely destroying the economy and people getting sick. of course Trump is getting flak over this. I could not imagine being part of a decision like that. All I know is that I hate the media even more than I did with what is going on

Really only two possibilities: One: they develop an effective vaccine and the virus is essentially eliminated.

Two: it becomes endemic, and makes a return every fall/winter, just as the flu does. Numbers drop as we develop some herd immunity, but it's still around.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    Really only two possibilities: One: they develop an effective vaccine and the virus is essentially eliminated.

Two: it becomes endemic, and makes a return every fall/winter, just as the flu does. Numbers drop as we develop some herd immunity, but it's still around.
    My points exactly. Any effective vaccine will take YEARS to develop. And being a virus, your option two is the most likely scenario. Are we going to shut the country down every year for months at a time? It won't be sustainable.

AGREED X100, if people honestly think the number of infected will be magically less when april 24th? I have news for everyone! Then what do we do? continue to kill the economy? put people out of work and their livelihood? WE CANT DO THIS!!! the fact of the matter is the number of infected numbers is GROSSLY understated and they admitted that the projected mortality rate was way over estimated.

I have said this before, the numbers are now lower than the regular annual flu. Yes, over time the stats (deaths, number infected, etc) may look similar when it's all said and done. I think the big question, which the last few posts are discussing but only in the context of the corona virus is if this is the new normal reaction/plan to virus' and disease that arrive on our shores in the future. Are we going to shut down the entire country every time a disease or Virus comes to our country? Again, based on the stats comparing the regular flu vs the corona virus or even the next virus that comes from the markets in China or the jungles of Africa they are very similar. Why are we reacting this way now but not for the flu which we see every year? it seems like so many people are missing that correlation on TV. I personally don't get it. I'm not a doctor, scientist or anyone educated in the field necessary to understand disease or how it works but I don't understand what is so different about this one versus the flu or SARS, ebola, etc.

I'm also seeing the divide that we all see every day in our country regarding politics happening with the reaction to the corona virus. Some have no problem shutting everything down "for the good of the people". I get it. But I don't see how we can't chew gum and walk at the same time. Now I'm rambling so I'm done. Still frustrated though

Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    I have said this before, the numbers are now lower than the regular annual flu. Yes, over time the stats (deaths, number infected, etc) may look similar when it's all said and done. I think the big question, which the last few posts are discussing but only in the context of the corona virus is if this is the new normal reaction/plan to virus' and disease that arrive on our shores in the future. Are we going to shut down the entire country every time a disease or Virus comes to our country? Again, based on the stats comparing the regular flu vs the corona virus or even the next virus that comes from the markets in China or the jungles of Africa they are very similar. Why are we reacting this way now but not for the flu which we see every year? it seems like so many people are missing that correlation on TV. I personally don't get it. I'm not a doctor, scientist or anyone educated in the field necessary to understand disease or how it works but I don't understand what is so different about this one versus the flu or SARS, ebola, etc.

I'm also seeing the divide that we all see every day in our country regarding politics happening with the reaction to the corona virus. Some have no problem shutting everything down "for the good of the people". I get it. But I don't see how we can't chew gum and walk at the same time. Now I'm rambling so I'm done. Still frustrated though
    Its how contagious it is. Look at NYC being that they are packed in like sardines has their numbers going through the roof.
    I don't necessarily believe everything I see on the news. But it seems to me they've been pretty clear on the reason (much more contagious) this is different than the influenza we are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeperguy View Post
    Its how contagious it is. Look at NYC being that they are packed in like sardines has their numbers going through the roof.
    I don't necessarily believe everything I see on the news. But it seems to me they've been pretty clear on the reason (much more contagious) this is different than the influenza we are used to.

Yes, I have seen that comment on TV, but is it really more contagious than Ebola, SARS, H1N1 or even the common flu? I would be interested to see a comparison between the flu with corona virus. It looks like the flu is very contagious too. My point is...is there a point of contagiousness that we shut down the country? if so, what is it. We (citizens) have to be careful allowing our elected officials from making this response normal. If you give a politician and inch they take a foot and never give it back.

I continue to sit in the arena of "Not enough information to say if this was overkill or not". We actually may never know the true answer to that or perhaps folks will just hold onto their opinions no matter the outcome.

As for why we are reacting this way... I am just taking a stab at it here, but I feel ALL the details of this bug have not been made available to the general public. The reason I suspect is to now cause a full-scale breakdown in our society (look what happened when folks thought there would be a shortage of TP for cripes sake!) Step back from the situation for a minute and ask yourself: "Why in the world would just about all of the ENTIRE WORLD react in a similar manner?" The planet does go through the seasonal flu every year. It has also gone through other outbreaks like MERS, SARS, Ebola, etc. The only rational answer is that the general public just does not know all the facts on this. It is clear it is more contagious that the seasonal flu and does have a mortality rate higher than the seasonal flu and SARS (just how much higher is not completely known yet).

Once all the dust settles, many of the questions should be able to be seen. Perhaps some mysteries will remain.

The reason why just about the entire world has gone on lockdown or will be is that is has proven to dramatically slow the spread. Thus the debate of is the price paid OK, or too high? My answer is: check with me later!

-John

Yes, I have seen that comment on TV, but is it really more contagious than Ebola, SARS, H1N1 or even the common flu?
    Here is a nice graph showing the spread of this virus vs. SARS and MERS. Keep in mind, this graph was made on Feb 8th. Pretty much the time when it was business as usual in all but China, with 37,500 cases. Today there are 372,757 cases with 16,200 deaths.

Untitled-3.jpg

The reason why just about the entire world has gone on lockdown or will be is that is has proven to dramatically slow the spread. Thus the debate of is the price paid OK, or too high? My answer is: check with me later!

-John
    Agreed - we are in this neck deep now, there is no turning back from it at this point. They are collecting A LOT of data if you believe the talking heads, hopefully those numbers start to bear real indications of how the lock down has worked.

I continue to sit in the arena of "Not enough information to say if this was overkill or not". We actually may never know the true answer to that or perhaps folks will just hold onto their opinions no matter the outcome.

As for why we are reacting this way... I am just taking a stab at it here, but I feel ALL the details of this bug have not been made available to the general public. The reason I suspect is to now cause a full-scale breakdown in our society (look what happened when folks thought there would be a shortage of TP for cripes sake!) Step back from the situation for a minute and ask yourself: "Why in the world would just about all of the ENTIRE WORLD react in a similar manner?" The planet does go through the seasonal flu every year. It has also gone through other outbreaks like MERS, SARS, Ebola, etc. The only rational answer is that the general public just does not know all the facts on this. It is clear it is more contagious that the seasonal flu and does have a mortality rate higher than the seasonal flu and SARS (just how much higher is not completely known yet).

Once all the dust settles, many of the questions should be able to be seen. Perhaps some mysteries will remain.

-John
    responding to the bold text...I agree with that, but if true do you think that will remain hidden for long. There would be a lot of people in the loop not releasing all the information. If your statement ends up being true then I would completely understand our reaction. I have a problem with politicians having too much power to shut down our economy and livelihoods in a matter of days and the point I'm trying to make is we (citizens) need to have a way to not allow this to happen again if it wasn't justified.

Here is a nice graph showing the spread of this virus vs. SARS and MERS. Keep in mind, this graph was made on Feb 8th. Pretty much the time when it was business as usual in all but China, with 37,500 cases. Today there are 372,757 cases with 16,200 deaths.

Untitled-3.jpg
    Interesting. Maybe we should be seeing more information like that in the press conferences to help us understand more.

buy backs increase stock price. If stock sold then they would pay the taxes. So no your not right
    I was implying they would pay taxes on the cash at the end of the year (tax return) if they didn't go the stock buyback route.

Yes, I have seen that comment on TV, but is it really more contagious than Ebola, SARS, H1N1 or even the common flu? I would be interested to see a comparison between the flu with corona virus. It looks like the flu is very contagious too. My point is...is there a point of contagiousness that we shut down the country? if so, what is it. We (citizens) have to be careful allowing our elected officials from making this response normal. If you give a politician and inch they take a foot and never give it back.
    I think the shut down was more to give the hospitals time to get ready (more PPE, ventailater, possible drugs that work on the virus) then a reflection of this virus being significantly worse then those others listed. Also the fact that this virus seems to attach to your lungs making it hard to breathe. Hence why people with additional health issues are having the hardest time with this virus.

responding to the bold text...I agree with that, but if true do you think that will remain hidden for long. There would be a lot of people in the loop not releasing all the information. If your statement ends up being true then I would completely understand our reaction. I have a problem with politicians having too much power to shut down our economy and livelihoods in a matter of days and the point I'm trying to make is we (citizens) need to have a way to not allow this to happen again if it wasn't justified.
    If the bold text were true, then I don't believe it would remain hidden for too long, unless somehow made classified, then that would make leaking it a pretty serious deal to the person that did. Probably more serious than the minute of fame they they would get by leaking it. Again, this was just a stab in the dark. Perhaps there is not hidden info, just more things like the graph I posted. When added up, would cause such sever actions to be found necessary by our government and others around the world.

I too fear that things of this nature could be used as a political weapon, but I also have faith that the majority of the voting population is intelligent to see through such crap and only the far rights and far lefts believe the stupid stuff put out by the media.

I also believe we just need to look to China and Italy to see how things will progress as far as getting back to normal. We may not follow them step for step because the effects of the virus on our country will likely be different than theirs, but it will give a good indication. So far the lockdowns in those two countries have seemed to have very positive effects. Hopefully it will work for us too and in a few weeks, things will gradually be put back on line.

-John

-John
    I agree with most of that, but SARS 1 had a far higher mortality rate than COVID-19 (SARS 2) currently does. It was around 10%. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5249a2.htm But it certainly didn't seem as transmissible.

I suspect that there is more than one strain going around, and that the virus has already mutated. The Chinese reported diarrhea as a common symptom, and yet if you go to the CDC website, they don't list any digestive issues at all under symptoms. That is very odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Estimates of SARS death rates revised upward

Filed Under: SARS

By: Robert Roos | May 07, 2003

Share
    Tweet
    LinkedIn
    Email
    Print & PDF

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...revised-upward

May 7, 2003 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) today estimated the overall fatality rate for SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) patients at 14% to 15%, significantly higher than previous estimates. The agency estimated the rate for people older than 64 years to be more than 50%.

Here it comes for MN - 2pm press conference, "Shelter in Place"

Perspective, perhaps. I've seen a lot of hyperbole and a lot of bad math from "experts" that were definitely not experts in math.
    Here is MI's current numbers.
    10 million people in the state.
    15 days since the first confirmed case.

2,294 confirmed cases. That's .02% (not 2 percent, 1/5th of 1 percent)

43 deaths. That's 0.0004%

Looking at China's numbers, they peak about 2 weeks in and peter out near the end of a month. Following that, MI should currently be at the peak. Time will tell if that's true.

MI has 98,985 deaths each year. https://www.mdch.state.mi.us/osr/deaths/DXCause113.asp
    MI has 262 deaths each day (on average). https://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,588...669---,00.html

MI has 58 cancer deaths PER DAY.
    Over the course of 14 days, we've accumulated 43 deaths due to covid19.
    During that same period of time, there were 812 deaths due to cancer.
    1,871 deaths in MI due to the flu over a year's time.

2TrakR - Thank You

So you really believe the information a communist nation
    Is providing? Too funny. 2 million cases in the US in two weeks.
    Very basic algebra is all that is needed to figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    My guess is some dealers are more progressive and prepared for e-commerce than others. It can be done safely and people are buying cars, in fact, sold a new Audi today to a gentleman from Neenah.

That's what a lot of Vet offices are doing. My awesome Vet is scheduling appts far apart so they can clean the room before the next appt, They are letting us come in with our pets only after the appt before you have left the building. They also informed us that the U of WI Vet hospital is shut down due to a case of the virus was confirmed there which delays all tests sent there. Anyone traveling for the health and care of animals is essential , you are safe!

Quote Originally Posted by fcat700 View Post
    My guess is some dealers are more progressive and prepared for e-commerce than others. It can be done safely and people are buying cars, in fact, sold a new Audi today to a gentleman from Neenah.
    As I've said before, I knew this was coming months ago and planned accordingly. Not sure why everyone else didn't too. We bought a new SUV back in February, figuring the airlines would be affected and we might need to travel at a moment's notice. Picked it up below car show prices too.

Quote Originally Posted by highhertel View Post
    So you really believe the information a communist nation
    Is providing? Too funny. 2 million cases in the US in two weeks.
    Very basic algebra is all that is needed to figure that out.
    Are you saying there are 2 million infections in the US alone; 2 million confirmed cases in the US alone or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by 2TrakR View Post
    Are you saying there are 2 million infections in the US alone; 2 million confirmed cases in the US alone or something else?
    These will be confirmed numbers. Unconfirmed and untested cases/asymptomatic is well above that already. Healthy people will survive but pass to unhealthy.

Considering 40% of Adults Obese, 7.7% Adults Asthma, 30%+ Hypertension...and that's just three conditions.

Dr. Fauci interview:

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/26/82184...medium=twitter

Any number posted other than confirmed cases would be a falsity and a serious underestimation, we cant possibly throw out a number because we have no Idea and will never know.

Correct, no way to accurately determine unconfirmed cases.

Just a question, not a comparison, how do they count Flu cases? Are those only the ones that people go to the doctor for?

Just a question, not a comparison, how do they count Flu cases? Are those only the ones that people go to the doctor for?
    Mathematical mode known as a WAG (wild a$$ guess)

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

Excellent question. No way they can factor in people who stay home, don't go to the doctor or hospital. Obviously deaths can be accounted for but not those who stay home and tough it out. Adding them in would bring down the mortality rate even more. Same is corona virus. Many people don't even know they have it. My friends son was studying in Spain and was sent home. My friend told him to get tested since he came from a "hot zone" and had NO symptoms. He tested positive.

Excellent question. No way they can factor in people who stay home, don't go to the doctor or hospital. Obviously deaths can be accounted for but not those who stay home and tough it out. Adding them in would bring down the mortality rate even more. Same is corona virus. Many people don't even know they have it. My friends son was studying in Spain and was sent home. My friend told him to get tested since he came from a "hot zone" and had NO symptoms. He tested positive.
    Exactly, if the elderly and at risk people fall into that high risk group and the rest of the population may carry it and don't have any symptoms at all, or may get sniffles, mild cold symptoms...why didn't we just hunker down that part of the population? instead of ruining peoples livelihood and taking peoples dreams away, killing the world economy? think about it... when you go to grocery store are you handling items that no one else touched? are you getting change or handling cash that came right off the press? We now have a few nursing homes that are infected by it and they think it came from care takers, did they blatently go to work knowing they were sick? did the employer not know they were sick or did they not show any symptoms? HOW DO YOU KNOW WE DONT HAVE IT??? so you have to ask... is the cure worse than the illness? then we keep hearing about new York, of course its going to be worse there population just in the city would be like cramming the entire population of Wisconsin into one county, of course their numbers are worse, I have said that one fatality should never become a norm or acceptable but with what we deal with in other things, opiod deaths, common flu, cancer and so on and so on, is it worth the damage we are doing for something we just cant control?

I think the MN Governor has it pretty close (I think?). If I understood what he was saying yesterday when he imposed two more weeks of "Stay at home" I took this from it:

He realizes we are not going to stop this virus now, he also realizes we don't have enough ICU's to handle a flood of people needing one. He was saying we are doing a good job to slow the spread, but realizes that once we lift this "Stay at home" "Social distancing" order, that the virus is going to continue to spread, and they will continue to get new cases. SO, he wants these extra couple weeks to get that ICU infrastructure built up, to handle what he expects to be many more cases, and the needs of people going to the hospitals.

It is an admission that we aren't going to stop this, but he wants to be better prepared when the flood gates open. I can understand it at this level, because from the things I've read, most of us are going to get it anyway. So we've gone this far, another couple weeks will help get things in place. Then MAYBE we can start allowing certain things to reopen, as long as we continue to help reduce the spread as a community.

We shall see what happens at this point. I for one am doing fine for now, with my job and my normal daily life (Work from home) - but I know others who are not. Eventually the slow down will affect everyone if it continues too long.

It obviously is a high concentration city dweller problem. No wonder the dems are worried.

funny how "flyover country" needs to be on alert as well.

When actor and solo lincoln navigator pilot matthew mcconaughey gets it, I will be worried.

I don't see politicians on the essential list. But some how, they think they are essential.

All the UPer snow birds coming back from Florida. Nobody will be escaping the potential contraction.
    Just keep listening to our politicians, you’ll be just fine. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    As I've said before, I knew this was coming months ago and planned accordingly. Not sure why everyone else didn't too. We bought a new SUV back in February, figuring the airlines would be affected and we might need to travel at a moment's notice. Picked it up below car show prices too.
    Actually many did as you, February was a very good month.