Default With everything going on... Take a step back

So last friday our long time parts man Rich was really worked up about this virus business. Wanted to keep people away and keep the doors locked ect. I mean he was stressed to the max. I calmed him down and told him if he was this worked up he should consider taking some time off and gave him his options. He has been a rock solid employee for 30 plus years. Was getting close to retiring. Just wanted to give him options if he was worried about getting sick. So yesterday morning I pull in here at 7:30 and his car isn't here. Normally he gets here around 7. So I think to myself well maybe he took my advice and is gonna let this virus thing pass. I no more than get to my office and the phone rings. Its his wife. Rich was killed by a cow Sunday night. He had a small herd of cow/calves that he tended to in his spare time. Like pets to him. How quickly life can change. He was in good shape for his age and was fixing up a Shelby mustang that he has had forever. It sure made me take a step back. Look at things differently. How quickly life can change. He leaves behind a wife and two adult children. Things are sure going to be different around here. Like I said Rich was a dependable guy. For over 30 years. So just remember in these crazy times how quickly life can change. Enjoy yourselves. We are all just temporary residents. Take care everyone.

Wow, crazy. Sorry for his family and you, the company etc.

But I gotta ask.....was this a freak accident or can cows be dangerous like a bull?...I'm not a farm guy.

Sorry to hear that Matt, I'm sure he was more than an employee to you.

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

That's some Bad Luck and a Sad Story all rolled in to one. Sorry for your loss, Slim.

Thanks guys. I'm not looking for sympathy. His family is devastated. Send your thoughts and prayers their way. Just thought with all the bad news going around that maybe people should see that it can always be worse and it can happen at any time! As for what happened his cows were calving. Momma cows are very protective and it was dark like 10pm. Sounds like he took a big kick and then got stomped. His wife found him and called 911 but it was to late.

Prayers to the family.

My wife grew up on a farm and I've heard stories of the challenges keeping the mother cow at bay. They will charge to protect the calves!

A life changing experience for me was at 18 years old when a good friend died in a car accident. My motto since then has been work hard and play hard! I still save for tomorrow but everything else goes up in smoke!

Thought’s and prayers to his family and friends. Very sad and yes life is short and stress is not worth it.
    Jim

Wow. That's a sad story. Sorry for the loss.

So sad and your points are spot on. Here one minute, gone the next.

I raise my glass in memory of your friend, the life he lived and to what minutes we all have left (hopefully millions!)

Prayers going out to his family for comfort.

-John

That is incredibly SAD.
    Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends

Wow, that is freaky & incredibly sad. My condolences to you slim, as well as his family & friends. -Mezz

Wow, crazy. I had a friend who was killed by a bull, but I've never even heard of someone being killed by a cow. There was a woman near me who was killed by a horse kick to the head. Those are pretty common, too.

Damn Matt, I'm sorry buddy. If there's anything I can do please let me know. I went through that with our long time mechanic David (Monks) Aho and I know exactly what you're going through. RIP Rich.

If there is a fund raiser for his family please PM me or post it.

Sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers to the family involved

sorry to hear this, and condolences to his family!

and to answer Snobuilders question,

cows, there big strong animals and one kick from one can be dangerous
    there animals like any, they can be spooked, moody or??

its NOT very common for one to kill, but its far from unheard of
    I worked with many to know
    general rule of thumb is not to walk behind them, for several reasons, more to stay clean and poop free, but things behind them can spook them and cause them to kick!
    it a protection instinct to them, same can be said on horses and mules!
    that's there main defense tool, most are used to humans and don't, but again, it can happen

on a strange up side, < when someone dies doing what they love or enjoy, its at least a better way to go
    doesn't make it any easier to loose a loved one, but maybe there is some peace in knowing they went doing something that brought them joy and happiness!
    as caring for animals is a lot of work, that most do out of love or them! IMO

Wow. Prayers to the family and you and your co-workers. Over the years Iwas lucky enough to get to know a few of the dairy farmers that belonged to our snowmobile club. Tough business. Please let the sight know if we could send some donations R.I.P.

Wow how sad. My condolences Slim and prayers to his family & friends. Life is precious

Sorry for your loss Slim......I've weaned calves many times on LARGE feed lots/ranches ( 2x2 section pasture large ) and theres always 1 momma cow in every pasture that's a total b***h, they will try to go after you for messing w/ their baby & the fat ol ladies are quicker & more nimble than you'd think

Sorry for your loss, reminds us that everyday is a gift from God.

I'm sorry for the families loss.

A cow is an animal, and even the most tame animal can become deadly or cause bodily harm in the right circumstances. This last August I was leading one of our cows across the yard. She was 12 years old, weighed 2,000 pounds, and could have been lead by 2 year old. She had been injured in the cow yard by a younger animal and we were tieing her on a long line in the yard to eat grass. I was walking her over to the barn to water her when a vehicle backfired on the road. I blame myself because I know better than to let my guard down. She spooked and came right over me. 4 days latter I had knee surgery that didn't completely fix my knee. I don't blame her. She knew she had hurt me. She came right back and stood behind me trying to get me up by nudgeing me with her nose.

Then I have the story where my Dad had a cow that was a psycho when she had a calf. Dad was gone on vacation when she calved early. She had my sister pinned between the silo and shed wall. My sister kept dodging when she charged. I put a bullet in between her eyes. My Dad came back to a fridge full of hamburger.

We get one chance at this thing called life. We need to always remember to enjoy the good things we have.

Sorry for your loss slim, and may God bless Rich’s family.
    Last edited by skidoolouie; 04-01-2020 at 05:20 AM.

Thank you everyone. It is starting to sink in around here. He had a lot of jobs that he just took care of. Knew what he had to do. As time passes all those things that need to be done come to light and you think about it. That will go on for a long time. He will be missed. https://www.mccormickfuneralhome.net...17/#!/Obituary

Very sorry to hear of this slimcake! Our prayers to those who morn, and my peace be with them, God bless. May Rich RIP.

Sorry to hear about the loss, the impact really sets in days later when that person isn’t there to talk to, Have coffee with , etc..... a good friend of mine, a long time cattle man, decided to raise and sell rodeo bucking bulls (I am sure there’s a specific breed or
    name that I cannot recall) he had them for about 4 months and was almost killed by one. Truck came the next day and they were shipped out....

Probably Brahmas. Guy does the same thing south of us.