Default Anybody been doing any grilling or bbq'ing?

Hoping to do some ribs this weekend but I thought I would share a few cooks that I have done recently. Lets see what you got?IMG_20200517_190657375.jpg pork loin roast that I shoulda got in the bath sooner. Was cooking on a rainy sunday (why is it always raining on sundays lately??) and I fell asleep in my chair during the smoke process. Still turned out well. Good smoke ring!! IMG_20200517_190403785.jpg Then there is the beer can chicken. This is my wifes fave. So juicy and flavorful. IMG_20200402_180843015.jpg Yummy. Then of course there is the Ribeye. I feel I have mastered the reverse sear method with my Traeger grill. No knife needed when I am cooking steaks!! Nam Nam Nam Nam... LOL just trying to avoid the trolls here and thought this would mix it up.

Grill all year long, but only use the smoker when it is warmer for fear of cracking the ceramic.

Nice ring on that pork loin!

How can you end up with a cooked steak so tender? Is it the beef, or cooking method, or both? Have not had one like that since I lived in Chicago and visited Gibson's or Gean & Georgetti's.

Just ordered a temperature controller for our Kamado Joe. Once installed, I am going to BBQ like a madman!

Oh, and didn't your mother ever to tell you to chew with your mouth closed?

Smoked a frozen pizza on the Traeger last night. If you have the time smoking is the way to go. Slim if you have an arm roast in that freezer full of meat smoke it, it’s very similar to a brisket but smaller and a good way to make it. And on Mother’s Day did the reverse sear on a beef tenderloin.

Smoked ribs last weekend and they turned out great! There is something about smoking that is just plain fun. Like John, we grill all year long. Steaks every Friday night.

Time is what it is all about. IMG_20191225_181148513.jpg Prime rib roast that I smoked for almost 8 hours. Then seared it a couple minutes per side on my Weber gas grill that was roaring at 550 degrees. Longest a brisket took me was 17 hours. Hey John. I grill year round as well. Blanket on the Traeger keeps the heat in. Oh and I shouldn't hold the phone so close to my food processor while filming... So freaking tasty. I do get very quality meat but its the process as well. Thaw in the fridge for a couple days. Then lightly salt and pepper them and back in the fridge for atleast 2 days. Then set the Traeger to 200 degrees. Let it slow cook for atleast a half hour. Then pull it off and bring it in the house while the Traeger gets hot. 500 is what mine will go to. Takes about 20-25 minutes to get hot. Couple minute sear on each side, back on the plate for a couple minute rest and you end up with

Thanks for the info!

My mouth is watering!

I've been using the old gas grill for dinner a lot lately, but this has inspired me to look for something to throw on the Big Green Egg this weekend.....

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

From a few of weeks ago.Baby Backs 3-26-20.jpg Maybe again this weekend!

Very nice Gary! Wife says that ribs are to much work for what you end up with. I disagree. How much rotating do you need to do in a cooker like that? Would imagine the bottom would be alot hotter?

I didn't rotate at all, just checked on them a few times of course. I do place the heavier pieces on the lower level though. These were Dry Rub only, sometimes I use sauce but usually leave that up to whoever is eating. Almost all the work is in the prepping, once in the smoker, just sit back and relax.

IMG_20190702_204803545.jpg Thats it I am cooking ribs this weekend!! This was my creation on the 4th of July. I soak them in apple juice for a day before cooking them. I think that helps alot!

Quote Originally Posted by goofy600 View Post
    Smoked a frozen pizza on the Traeger last night. If you have the time smoking is the way to go. Slim if you have an arm roast in that freezer full of meat smoke it, it’s very similar to a brisket but smaller and a good way to make it. And on Mother’s Day did the reverse sear on a beef tenderloin.
    Could not agree more. Frozen pizza never tasted so good as it does on the smoker! Whole new levels of flavors!!!

Anyone else think brisket is overrated? I have smoked a few good one's, but would much rather have a steak. I guess if you have some from someone like Aaron Franklin it changes your mind, but that will probably never happen.

You musta cooked it to fast then. Season the crap out of it with salt and pepper and wrap it in paper not foil at 160 degrees. 225 degree pit temp. Toss the point back on for some burnt ends. Yum.

Saturday Night Kabobs on the grill! I got them off just before the rains came.

Kabobs on 5-23-20.jpg Kabobs 2 on 5-23-20.jpg

Forgot to add made chocolate chip cookies on the smoker cookies with a hint of smoke they were good.

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    IMG_20190702_204803545.jpg Thats it I am cooking ribs this weekend!! This was my creation on the 4th of July. I soak them in apple juice for a day before cooking them. I think that helps alot!
    Damn. That's all I got to say. Damn.

I am into my new Traeger 2 weeks now....

so far my Traeger salmon got the best revues.
    My brisket was a fail....too dry.
    Ribs were good as well as my chicken thighs.

Nothing fancy Thursday night - just a tripod over an open flame with a veggie pack and home grown hamburgers afterwards. However, the location, weather, and company couldn't be beat!
    IMG_20200521_203819037_HDR.jpg

Ok this thread is making me very, very hungry. Breakfast is definitely going to be steak and eggs.

So here is my cook today. 5lb pork belly. Making belly bites. They are like candy when they get done!IMG_20200524_115351637.jpg

IMG_20200524_162741778.jpg Hahaha. I should show you how well us peeps be eating!!

Here's mine today. Top loin roast (aka New York strip). Tried a homemade teriyaki marinade for 24 hrs. Surprisingly, not much of the marinade flavor ended up in the meat? Turned out great none the less. 3 hrs on cherry wood, then reverse sear. I would have to say, it was pretty dang close to just as a good as a Prime Rib, but substantially cheaper!
    IMG_20200525_160247.jpg

X2 on the apple juice, roasting a pig we dump apple juice on it a few times during the process, ribs look DELICIOUS I am guessing I won't be going to one of my favorite activities this summer rib fest,

Hey Slim.

Fired up the smoker last night and did some steaks via your reverse sear method. Worked great. Probably will never do it any other way during the warm season. My smoker is a ceramic one (Kamodo Joe), so do not use it when it is cold.

Turkey, Ribs, Pulled Pork will be the next to do. Would love to do brisket, but priced one out at $125 ! Holy Wha!

Great Thread!

I put something on the smoker almost every weekend year round. I switch back n forth or use in combination a Pellet Grill and Kamado.

Going to need to pull up some recent cook pics & join in!

Have some perch, small mouth bass, cream cheese topped with cheddar cheese jalapeños and asparagus on the smoker right now. I have done the jalapeños and asparagus in the past this type of fish is a first. Hopefully it turns out good. Will give report later.

Cajun Tonight
    One pound of Jumbo's

Cajun on 6-5-20.jpg

Hey, as long as we're on the subject, how does everyone select their corn. This corn tonight was Great, other times not so much flavor. Can you tell from appearance? I usually just pick out some at random and hope for the best. Thoughts?

What do you use to season those shrimp Gary? They look really good.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    how does everyone select their corn. This corn tonight was Great, other times not so much flavor. Can you tell from appearance? I usually just pick out some at random and hope for the best. Thoughts?
    Corn is more perishable than you ever guessed.
    The secret to corn is: Fresh! Fresh! Fresh!

This might help:
    The following is a transcript of the pertinent bits of …
    (click →) Alton Brown's Good Eats "Ear Apparent", episode EA1B09, from July 19, 2000. (YouTube video, 22 min. + 19 sec.)

The endosperm is mostly made up of sugar. When the ear is picked, it senses that something is seriously wrong and it deploys an enzyme that starts rapidly converting the sugar to a more easily metabolized starch. A culinary time bomb.

How fast does this happen? Well, let me put it this way. I know corn connoisseurs out there who actually put a pot of water on to boil before they go down to their market for their corn.

You can buy yourself some time by only choosing really fresh corn. When you pick up an ear take a really good look at it.

• Is it plump?
    • Is the husk bright and moist?
    • Is the cut end bright and moist?
      There shouldn't be any dark splotches there.
    • Look at the tassel. The tassel should be slightly sticky and brown — not matted and black. A black tassel signifies a mature ear with more starch than sugar.
    • Take a look inside.
    • The kernels should be tight, rowed all the way up to the top, and should explode with milky goodness when pierced.

You can get maybe 1-3 days out of your fresh corn if you wrap it tightly in plastic and put it in the coldest part of your freezer.

If you're looking for even more time, you're going to have to take a cue from food scientists at the University of Maryland who've actually figured out that you can hold corn at it's peak of flavor for up to two weeks if you shuck it and give it a 15 minute bath in ice water that has been laced with one drop of lemon juice and -- believe it or not — two drops of Clorox bleach. It turns out that the bleach/citrus Mickey lowers the water's pH just enough to inhibit both microbial and enzymatic action in the corn.

If your corn has been stored for more than a day or two, or if the farm is more than two zip codes down the road, add two tablespoons of sugar to the bath — but no salt.

Post bath, just seal it up in a freezer bag and put it right back into the coldest part of your refrigerator.
    Last edited by frnash; 06-06-2020 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added text to transcript (BOLD paragraph)

Quote Originally Posted by polarismike View Post
    What do you use to season those shrimp Gary? They look really good.
    Mike, here's what I used for one pound of shrimp;

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp of smoked paprika
    1 tspn of garlic powder
    1 tspn of onion powder
    1 tspn of dried oregano
    1 tspn of dried basil
    1/2 tspn of salt
    1/2 tspn of pepper
    1/4 tspn of cayenne pepper

Toss the shrimp in a bowl with the above ingredients until they're all coated and you're ready to grill. There are many other recipes on-line, I just happen to use this one regularly. The cayenne pepper is the one that gives you "the heat". Depending on your tastes, 1/4 teaspoon is about a 5 or 6 on a scale of 10 and one pound of jumbo shrimp feeds about 2 1/2 people with sides.

Gary
    Last edited by gary_in_neenah; 06-06-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks for the info Gary, I'm going to give that a try!

Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.

I baked off a lasagna in my weber. 50 min. Indirect heat. Turned out great

Buddy did a pizza on grill couple weeks back. Came out GREAT

I did finally get to smoking the turkey. Turned out great and will be doing it more, especially for lunch meat for the week. It was just a 9 lb breast and did it at 250 for 2 hours. Was done at that point, so I quickly shot the temp up to 375 to get an extra crisp on the skin.

Untitled-1.jpg

After going to probably the best smoke food joint I've ever been to (Curious Pig in Crystal Falls) I tried smoked Corned beef brisket (not regular beef brisket) , it was absolutely AMAZING!

So, I tried it at home in my MES smoker, covered in brown mustard (nice bark) and it was very close to the quality of Curious Pig. The only thing I did different was to soak it in water for 1 day to remove salt before smoking.

If ya get near Crystal Fall give Curious Pig a try, sides and sauces are all made from scratch,,,,I've tried about everything and it is all very, very good! Everything is smokey and very tender.
    Last edited by bobt; 06-14-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Grilled some all beef hot dogs rotating evenly for 15 min while slowly browning the buns at a low temp and with all the fixins and a handful of chips and sweet pickles they were awesome. Couple Ding Dongs topped it all off. Sorry no pictures.

Geez chords you shouldn't go all out like that... I did some beef short ribs yesterday. I think that the short ribs really come down to the butcher and this guy is still learning. They were tasty though!image000000.jpg This weekend is the big cook. Fourth of July fireworks extravaganza!!

Just got home with a brisket. Price went from $125 to $62 for the same size cut. Can’t wait to do it up. Thought I would not be able to have one this bbq season.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Just got home with a brisket. Price went from $125 to $62 for the same size cut. Can’t wait to do it up. Thought I would not be able to have one this bbq season.
    Ya buddy! My meat man told me it was down to 3.50 a pound so that sounds about right. He is not the cheapest but gets good stuff! I am doing pork overload this weekend. Two pork butts, three racks of baby backs and the appetizer is pork belly bites!! YUM!!! One thing I will tell you is if you are gonna wrap the brisket do it in butcher paper and not foil. Trust me. Get the red butcher paper.

Ya buddy! My meat man told me it was down to 3.50 a pound so that sounds about right. He is not the cheapest but gets good stuff! I am doing pork overload this weekend. Two pork butts, three racks of baby backs and the appetizer is pork belly bites!! YUM!!! One thing I will tell you is if you are gonna wrap the brisket do it in butcher paper and not foil. Trust me. Get the red butcher paper.
    Thanks. I have had a roll of the red butchers paper sitting for a month, so glad I get to use it. I miss having a butcher to go to. Would kill to get a chunk of pork belly.

Friday went on a charter out of Kenosha on Lake Michigan with some friends. Saturday and Sunday had meals of fresh grilled lake trout, with leftovers for lunch today.

Three more packages of lake trout and salmon in the freezer for another couple weekends in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by chords View Post
    Grilled some all beef hot dogs rotating evenly for 15 min while slowly browning the buns at a low temp and with all the fixins and a handful of chips and sweet pickles they were awesome. Couple Ding Dongs topped it all off. Sorry no pictures.
    It is estimated that on the July 4th long weekend more than 155 million hot dogs are consumed in the United States. The July 4th weekend is the biggest hot dog consumption day of the year in the United States.

....and I never met a hot dog that I didn't like, sign me up!

Ribs, catfish and alligator for us on July 3rd YUUUMMMM!!! 4 day weekend!!

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by chords View Post
    It is estimated that on the July 4th long weekend more than 155 million hot dogs are consumed in the United States. The July 4th weekend is the biggest hot dog consumption day of the year in the United States.

....and I never met a hot dog that I didn't like, sign me up!
    Speaking of hot dogs, I recently bought one of these packages — purely by accident:
    Hot dogs made with beef brisket #2.jpg
    Beef Brisket hot dogs?

("Private Selection" is a Kroger brand, offered to compare with gourmet brands or regional brands that may be considered more upscale than the standard Kroger brand products.)

I have experienced many brands of hot dogs from the regular grocery store shelf, ranging from underwhelming to disappointing and I sure am no a "hot dog connoisseur", but short of buying hot dogs from some upscale charcutier, those were absolutely the best hot dogs I've ever had!

Highjack Warning

A Timely message for the week of the 4th of July. But be warned, you may have this jingle bouncing around in your head today from 45 years ago this summer.

Gary

Highjack Warning

A Timely message for the week of the 4th of July. But be warned, you may have this jingle bouncing around in your head today from 45 years ago this summer.

Gary
    Love it Gary!

Ribs on at 630 this morning. Pork belly bites on now. IMG_20200703_142602443.jpg

I am taking your advice slimcake and soaking my ribs in apple juice for the day prior to smoking, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on removing that membrane skin on the underside of the ribs, also what smoking chip flavors that you prefer for ribs, I know it’s personal taste but just throwing it out there
    thank you in advance

Can’t wait for the feasting to begin
    Last edited by snomoman; 07-03-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snomoman View Post
    I am taking your advice slimcake and soaking my ribs in apple juice for the day prior to smoking, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on removing that membrane skin on the underside of the ribs, also what smoking chip flavors that you prefer for ribs, I know it’s personal taste but just throwing it out there
    thank you in advance
    Get under it with a small sharp knife. once you have it started grab it with a paper towel. It's just like a stubborn decal, you want to avoid ripping it! It just takes practice. If there are a few small pieces still on it won't hurt anything.

IMG_20200703_192040492.jpgIMG_20200704_100915376_HDR.jpg

Pork belly bites last night and currently smoking two butts and the third rack of baby backs!!

- - - Updated - - -

I will have a good comparison as the first two racks soaked overnight and this third one didn't soak.

Quote Originally Posted by snomoman View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any tips on removing that membrane skin on the underside of the ribs
    Yes, get a small area started with a knife and then sprinkle that area with table salt. It gives the fingers some traction.

Failsafe fall of the bone ribs that works for me... large pan, racks of ribs (good ribs starts with good meat the fresher locally sourced the better) , remove membrane let sit with favorite rub, for a little spice use Slap-ya-mama seasoning, pour enough beer in bottom of pan about 1/2" deep, lay ribs in, cover ribs with thick cut smokehouse Applewood smoked bacon, cover with foil tightly, place in oven at 250 degrees for 4 hours, remove finish ribs on grill or open fire with favorite BBQ sauce just long enough to caramelize the sauce ( our favorite.... we mix 2 fat guys smoky and spicy ) can eat these even if you had no teeth or tongue yummmm
    neglected to mention sorry.... remove bacon before saucing and grilling was just there for flavor.
    Last edited by euphoric1; 07-06-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Sirloin Bobs.jpg Marinated Sirloin KaBobs. Kinda hot out there around the grill today but it was worth it! Cooling off with some watermelon and lemonade for desert.

very nice