Default Bear Belly Bar and Grill closed permanently

I just saw their announcement on their Facebook page. The bar and grill is being closed permanently.

Thanks a lot Whitmer!
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Good to see that they keeping the lodging and store going though.

I hate to hear that! Dang

I saw that too. Always a great stop and great people. 2020 sucks.

Never had a bad time there! always good food and drink. It will be missed for sure.

That is sad. Always great food. These restrictions need to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    I just saw their announcement on their Facebook page. The bar and grill is being closed permanently.

Thanks a lot Whitmer!
    This is bad/sad news. Basically my favorite stop after a ride north from Houghton via trail 3 over Brockway, through Copper Harbor and back south on 134, 135 and 133 to the B.B. for gas a grub.

Bear

Ya Fuji I think that was about the best food stop up there. What did you say about the chili?? This is terrible news. I really hope they reconsider....

Very bad news. Always a great place to eat. Unfortunately this is probably only the beginning of permanent closures all over the upper Midwest and even the country.

Nice place. Great people.

Maybe things will change in time but running a restaurant is a tough racket.

Completely blows I really like that place was their last February on my last trip to the Peninsula

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Ya Fuji I think that was about the best food stop up there. What did you say about the chili?? This is terrible news. I really hope they reconsider....
    Weird combo but my favorite combo was a chicken Caesar salad with a bowl of chili.
    The cook/chef had experience from a larger city, it showed.

Bear

Default Looks like It's For Sale also

Just shy of a million and it could be yours.

https://www.landsofamerica.com/prope...higan/5997125/

- - - Updated - - -

Strike that - it says "off market", was for sale at one time?

Sad day. I'll miss it. Love their chili.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Hope they have the chili at the store deli.

Here is their entire post

It is with great sadness we are announcing the closure of The Bear Belly Bar and Grill. It has been a pleasure and an honor to serve the wonderful residents of the Keweenaw, as well as the visitors to our beautiful area for the past 20 years. Prior to the onset of COVID-19, restaurant business was booming and closing the Bear Belly was probably the furthest thing from our minds. However, sometimes things happen that are out of your control that changes the course of your business and industry. This is certainly one of those times.

After weeks of analyzing and assessing the situation, we feel it is best to downsize our operation to running and focusing on the Lac La Belle Lodge and Store. We will still rent the cabins, docks, and boats, as well as have an upgraded convenience store with an emphasis on our new grab and go selection of food options. David Menominee, our kitchen manager the past 19 years, will be staying on with us to ensure that we will have some of the Bear Belly favorites available in the convenience store to go. We will also be offering Gabby's homemade pies and other assorted fresh baked goods. More of what we will have available will be updated on this site soon!

We want to sincerely thank all of our hardworking employees throughout the years. Without the wonderful service they provided, there would have not been the excellent food and great atmosphere that our customers had come to rely on. Thank you to our vendors that worked with us and countless times delivered above and beyond to make sure we had the supplies we needed to serve our customers. Most of all, thank you to all our great customers who visited us time and time again to make the Bear Belly truly what it was: a beautiful bar and grill that catered to all who wanted to come and have a great time and excellent food with family and friends. We will truly miss serving you!

We plan to be opening the store in mid to later June, we will post an update as soon as we know the exact date. We are able to rent cabins starting June 8th as the stay at home mandate is lifted then.

Thank you for all your support, we hope to see you soon!
    -Troy and Cathy Westcott

Total bummer........hope they reconsider come fall!!!! Maybe we should start a petition to keep it open!!

Favorite place to stop when going up and around the thumb. Will be greatly missed. Always good food, and always seemed to be busy.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardPlayHrd View Post
    Favorite place to stop when going up and around the thumb. Will be greatly missed. Always good food, and always seemed to be busy.
    The thumb? Well that's a new one, I sure have never heard of the Lac La Belle area referred to as "The Thumb".

I guess I don't no nuthin' 'bout joggerfy [sic], but I kin "lurn sumptin' new ever day" [sic].
    c.f. (click →) Wikipedia: The Thumb | Thumb counties.
    LMI-Thumb.jpg
    Dat sure looks like a Thumb!

Wonder if they will still have gas available

Quote Originally Posted by wfd123 View Post
    Wonder if they will still have gas available
    Yes, the store and Lac LA Belle lodge will remain open

frnash,
    Some people have referred to the UP as another (da utter) hand as a match to the mitten. Hand is sideways, Keweenaw the thumb and the pinky finger is folded or sumting like dat.
    A rabbit with the Keweenaw as the ears is another probably more accepted reference.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by formeryooper1 View Post
    frnash,
    Some people have referred to the UP as another (da utter) hand as a match to the mitten. Hand is sideways, Keweenaw the thumb and the pinky finger is folded or sumting like dat.
    A rabbit with the Keweenaw as the ears is another probably more accepted reference.
    Yep, absolutely. It is as obviously a rabbit as the "Thumb" is a thumb!

It's a rabbit leaping from east to west over the lower peninsula's "mitten", with its nose at the mouth of the Montreal River, its eyebrows at the Porkies (do "wabbits have eyebwows"?), its ears are the Keweenaw (where'ja think "Rabbit Bay" got its name?), its humped back is at the Huron Mountains, its cottontail at Whitefish Point, its rear legs are stretched out to De Tour Village in Chippewa County, and its forelegs reach down to Memominee.

There are even some "dangly bits" down toward Garden and Fairport on the Garden Peninsula that suggest that it is a male rabbit! (Although I'm not sure how anatomically accurate that is!) [Ahem!]
    11671.jpg
    I may be wetiewed in Awizona, but I still know wabbits!

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    The thumb? Well that's a new one, I sure have never heard of the Lac La Belle area referred to as "The Thumb".

I guess I don't no nuthin' 'bout joggerfy [sic], but I kin "lurn sumptin' new ever day" [sic].
    c.f. (click →) Wikipedia: The Thumb | Thumb counties.
    LMI-Thumb.jpg
    Dat sure looks like a Thumb!
    Sometimes I think that you are just trying to be difficult😈.

Sometimes I think that you are just trying to be difficult😈.
    Maybe someone is.

I'll tell ya this — I've never heard any "Yooper", or anyone from the "Copper Country" ever refer to the Keweenaw as "The Thumb", only "Trolls" (folks that live "under" da "Big Mac" bridge) or folks from elsewhere that have never been there.

Maybe you've never seen a wabbit, er… rabbit?
    Bugs Bunny JPG.jpg
    Not even on da farm? Whuteva.

OK back to the topic, I went to this place only one time, remember parking the snowmobiles in the back and walking down a hallway to get to the dining area, what I really remember was they had these little rubber boots that were on each leg of their chairs to make sure that they wouldn’t scratch the hardwood floors I guess, they for some reason didn’t stay on and were all over the floor, when we left there was a big huge sign that said something like “do not cut across the lake to get to the trail” unfortunately I guess we couldn’t read that day LOL
    Last edited by snomoman; 06-10-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    Maybe someone is.

I'll tell ya this — I've never heard any "Yooper", or anyone from the "Copper Country" ever refer to the Keweenaw as "The Thumb", only "Trolls" (folks that live "under" da "Big Mac" bridge) or folks from elsewhere that have never been there.

Maybe you've never seen a wabbit, er… rabbit?
    Bugs Bunny JPG.jpg
    Not even on da farm? Whuteva.
    The way I got the term "The Thumb " was from my Grandfather. Born in Calumet in 1923. His Father was a copper miner and a stone smith. The fountain at Lakeview Cemetery outside of Calumet was made by him, along with another one in Calumet.

He joined the CCC at 17 by hopping trains to get to Marquette. He originally was posted at Isle Royale, but when he showed an interest in Morse code was transferred to Sault Ste. Marie for training. Joined the army and was put in X-mountain division and was in World War II as part of the Italian Campaign.

After WWII he stayed in X-mountain being posted in places like Sault Ste. Marie, Munising, and Colorado. After hitting 20 years he took a job as an air traffic controller in La Crosse until he retired. He passed in 2014 at 91.

Every year he went back up to Calumet to see his mother, and after she passed to visit cousins. He always would say "see you when I get back from the thumb." So I'm sorry if my copper country, yopper native Grandfather wasn't completely correct by your terms. He was always reserved and didn't talk much around us kids. I drew the unlucky straw on the first trip we took up to Calumet with him. Thought I'd spend the whole trip in a car with nothing to talk about. So I asked him what his childhood was like. He didn't stop talking for 2 hours. I rode the whole way up and back with him. The history of the area was fascinating to me and that trip forged a relationship with my grandfather that I never thought I would have. He instilled in me his love for the entire upper peninsula, and I got him hooked on Jeff Foxworthy.

And as to rabbits, my kids are currently raising two orphaned cottontails. So yes I get to see those to.

Quote Originally Posted by snomoman View Post
    OK back to the topic, I went to this place only one time, remember parking the snowmobiles in the back and walking down a hallway to get to the dining area, what I really remember was they had these little rubber boots that were on each leg of their chairs to make sure that they wouldn’t scratch the hardwood floors I guess, they for some reason didn’t stay on and were all over the floor, when we left there was a big huge sign that said something like “do not cut across the lake to get to the trail” unfortunately I guess we couldn’t read that day LOL
    They had booties, little socks almost looked handmade, on the legs of the chairs. Pretty neat if you ask me. Also that sign was for your safety. That water in front of Bear Belly never freezes decent. Most years its open all year. Glad you made it ok. I am still very disappointed that they closed the restaurant. Man they had good food!!

Quote Originally Posted by snomoman View Post
    Well that's to bad, it's snowmobilers like you that ruin it for the rest of us. You can read, and that sign is there for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Well that's to bad, it's snowmobilers like you that ruin it for the rest of us. You can read, and that sign is there for a reason.
    Sorry there skylar, I was last to leave in the pack because us seniors need to facilitate (piss) more than the young ones, when I got outside and on my sled, everybody had already started out on the lake, I guess I could’ve gone around on the road but then again I would’ve been way behind and would maybe of been lost, Honestly it wasn’t my choice but I had to follow everybody in front of me and they all went on the lake before me, my mistake for making it out to be funny, sorry to offend you, guess I made a mistake in your eyes....I will have to be more careful in what I post on this site without offending anyone in the future...don’t want to be thought of as someone who disobeys signs
    Last edited by snomoman; 06-11-2020 at 08:42 PM.

WHPH: I'm really glad that our silly quibble about "Thumbs" and "Rabbits" brought us to this point.
    The way I got the term "The Thumb " was from my Grandfather. Born in Calumet in 1923. His Father was a copper miner and a stone smith. The fountain at Lakeview Cemetery outside of Calumet was made by him, along with another one in Calumet.

He joined the CCC at 17 by hopping trains to get to Marquette. He originally was posted at Isle Royale, but when he showed an interest in Morse code was transferred to Sault Ste. Marie for training. Joined the army and was put in X-mountain division and was in World War II as part of the Italian Campaign.

After WWII he stayed in X-mountain being posted in places like Sault Ste. Marie, Munising, and Colorado. After hitting 20 years he took a job as an air traffic controller in La Crosse until he retired. He passed in 2014 at 91.

Every year he went back up to Calumet to see his mother, and after she passed to visit cousins. He always would say "see you when I get back from the thumb." So I'm sorry if my copper country, yopper [sic] native Grandfather wasn't completely correct by your terms. He was always reserved and didn't talk much around us kids. I drew the unlucky straw on the first trip we took up to Calumet with him. Thought I'd spend the whole trip in a car with nothing to talk about. So I asked him what his childhood was like. He didn't stop talking for 2 hours. I rode the whole way up and back with him. The history of the area was fascinating to me and that trip forged a relationship with my grandfather that I never thought I would have. He instilled in me his love for the entire upper peninsula, and I got him hooked on Jeff Foxworthy.

And as to rabbits, my kids are currently raising two orphaned cottontails. So yes I get to see those to.
    'Cuz I have now had a chance to meet (by proxy) your Grandfather. I certainly would have enjoyed meeting him in person — a member of the Greatest Generation¹ with many talents and an adventurous spirit. I wish I could have tagged along on that car trip with him talking for 2 hours about what his childhood was like!

I see that your Grandfather, and mine, Frans (Frank) E. Nara and my great uncle …
    (click →) J. W. Nara were "Copper Country contemporaries".

Furthermore, as noted in the above article, my grandfather (Frank E. Nara) worked in his brother J.W. (Bill) Nara's photo studio.

While not exactly "hopping trains to get to Marquette at 17 years of age", my Grandpa was born in Alatornio, Finland, and sailed on the Majestic out of Liverpool, England, arriving in the U.S. in December 1904 at 19 years of age, to work in "Old Bill's" photo studio.

When it turned out that he was allergic to the photographic chemicals, he left the photo business to homestead on a dairy farm in Bruce Crossing in the late 1920's (that farm is still in the family today). As a kid, I had the good fortune to spend nearly every summer vacation on that farm, so you and I have dairy farming in common as well!

¹ Greatest Generation: As our involvement in seemingly endless war in the middle east goes on and on for decades, I appreciate ever more what that Greatest Generation accomplished in one short but bloody year from D-Day (June 6, 1944) to the German unconditional surrender on May 8, 1945.

There are days when I would contemplate finally giving up with those middle eastern ungovernables, and just turn most of the middle east into an uninhabitable glowing place in the desert that will be seen from space for several hundred years!

P.S. Sorry, I can not resist the urge to make just one nit pick re: "yopper":
    It's "Yoop-er" (rhymes with "Trooper", not "Yopp-er" (rhymes with Copper?)!

Quote Originally Posted by formeryooper1 View Post
    Just shy of a million and it could be yours.

https://www.landsofamerica.com/prope...higan/5997125/

- - - Updated - - -

Strike that - it says "off market", was for sale at one time?
    Mariner North for sale too, on that same site. $1.79M.