Default 130 year old brand.....GONE

Yes folks..... Aunt Jemima is NO MORE! and Ill bet you Uncle Ben's is shaking in his boots. Is this really what we have become?? and what's next. This is just getting beyond stupidity! and all these people demolishing and defacing statues and monuments...we should give them a quiz even with multiple choice answers about these people from our "American History" and I will bet more than half of them have no idea of who or what these people or monuments actually did or stand for. It just boggles my mind what people claim is offensive to them, I mean COME ON!!!

All I know is next time I am at the grocery store, I am going to get some Aunt Jemima, Mrs Butterworth and Uncle Ben and hang onto it. Probably be worth some bucks to Grace's kids! Maybe some Air Jordan's too!

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

That will fix everything.

wait, what?! your a grandfather?

Quote Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER View Post
    wait, what?! your a grandfather?
    Haha. No! Grace is only 10. I meant that in 30 years or more, those items could be very hard to come by and thus worth some money.

I always thought that's something to be PROUD of, having your face on syrup or any other product for that matter??

People are offended by way too much. Imagine being that person who climbs out of bed everyday looking for something to be offended by - what a horrible life that must be.

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

They're going after Snap, Crackle, and Pop on Rice Krispy's. Seriously! Kelloggs is under fire for having all white ELVES on the box.

Then Uncle Ben's Rice is next according to MARS foods; According to the Uncle Ben’s website, "the name was first used in 1946 in reference to a black farmer known as Uncle Ben who excelled in rice-growing. The man depicted in the logo is a “a beloved Chicago chef and waiter named Frank Brown.”

And going for the Trifecta today.... The CDC now says we should have our dogs Social Distancing with other dogs. (good luck with that) DOG walkers should make sure their pets observe social distancing so they don't catch coronavirus, a US health agency has warned.

The Food and Drug Administration issued new guidance saying pooches should stay at least 6ft apart from other animals and their owners outdoors.

Dog walkers should observe social distancing during the Covid-19 pandemic, experts say dogs can catch Covid-19 from humans, although it is not clear if they can then infect other pets and people.

Looks like someone left the doors to the Asylum open again
    Last edited by gary_in_neenah; 06-17-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    I always thought that's something to be PROUD of, having your face on syrup or any other product for that matter??

People are offended by way too much. Imagine being that person who climbs out of bed everyday looking for something to be offended by - what a horrible life that must be.
    Too bad Bruce Jenners face made it the Wheaties Box back in the day, look at HER now!!!! LOL! Seriously though, it is an outright shame that the notoriety of these people on outstanding products which have become staples of our society are so easily erased or changed to accommodate the vanity of idiots. We should not be so easily dissuaded. -Mezz

I am gonna say something here. I am so very very very glad that the wife and I decided (on our second date) that we were not having kids. No babies is how my wife puts it. This country is on a terrible path. Thank the Lord I live where I live. This cancel culture and stuff offending everyone is disgusting. I am glad that I haven't brought in any humans that will have to be subjected to this crap. Terrible.

Even the famous song by the Beatles Penny Lane is at risk. The street sign is being defaced and demands being made for a name change. All because the man that the road is named after, James Penny, was an 18th century slave trader.

hypocrites is what people are! they go after food labels, but some of the lyrics in rap music is ok? We were kayaking Saturday and came up on some young girls tubing with rap music playing. I was in awe that these kids would be playing it that loud with the lyrics in the songs!

And the NFL hasn't even started yet. This should be interesting. Redskins and Chiefs are out. They will probably want the Browns renamed just for good measure. While we are at it, we should rename the Steelers because it could imply someone who steals. And the Packers could be twisted into something offensive so we need that name to go. Short people might have an inferiority complex so get rid of the Giants and Titans. I forgot about PETA. Rename the Bears, Eagles, Bills, Dolphins, Jaguars, Rams, Colts, Lions, Broncos, Falcons, Panther, Bengals, Ravens, Seahawks and Cardinals. Get rid of the Jets because all the green house gases they emit.

Vikings, Raiders and Buccaneers have to go because they just raped and pillaged villages. We can't have that. It is not PC to be a Cowboy, so they're gone. The Texans, can't single anyone out, bye bye. The Saints? Heavens no, we cannot support religion. The Chargers, only if it is by renewable energy. Maybe they get the name the Solars? When you think of the 49ers, they are just greedy, old, white men. And finally, the Patriots have to go because after all it was that bunch that gave us our freedom from the tyranny in England and made this very bad country. Did I miss anyone?

@xsledder - LOL!!

Wait,..WHAT?...I'm losin' my side chicks?

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    @xsledder - LOL!!
    It would be funnier if it wasn't true. These pansies are offended buy everything.... Nfl is the only sport I really look forward to. Not anymore. Kneeling and entitled million dollar athletes. I'm done. Tell me another country that would afford you this opportunity???

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    … and all these people demolishing and defacing statues and monuments...we should give them a quiz even with multiple choice answers about these people from our "American History" and I will bet more than half of them have no idea of who or what these people or monuments actually did or stand for. …
    And they have a few more to deal with.

From (click →) Encyclopædia Britannica - The Founding Fathers and Slavery:

Founding Father Slaveholders¹ State
    Charles Carroll Maryland
    Samuel Chase
    Maryland
    Benjamin Franklin
    Pennsylvania
    Button Gwinnett
    Georgia
    John Hancock
    Massachusetts
    Patrick Henry
    Virginia
    John Jay
    New York
    Thomas Jefferson
    Virginia
    Richard Henry Lee
    Virginia
    James Madison
    Virginia
    Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
    South Carolina
    Benjamin Rush
    Pennsylvania
    Edward Rutledge
    South Carolina
    George Washington
    Virginia
    ¹ Held slaves at some point in time.

As the Queen of Hearts in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures
    in Wonderland would say (dripping with sarcasm):
    "Off with their heads!" (Their statues, that is.)

Tell them that they should not rename it...click email at bottom...grow a pair

https://contact.pepsico.com/pepsico

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    It would be funnier if it wasn't true. These pansies are offended buy everything.... Nfl is the only sport I really look forward to. Not anymore. Kneeling and entitled million dollar athletes. I'm done. Tell me another country that would afford you this opportunity???
    Oh I agree with you Matt, that’s why I think it’s funny. People/businesses are biting their noses off and they don’t even know it yet. Mob Rules mentality is taking over. Cops are getting a very, VERY bad rap right now. Hollywood is donating millions to funds for paying bail for the ‘protestors’ but when it shows up in their town they want protection?? Hypocrites - been done with them for years already. NFL is the latest in a line of cavers. Done. Tracker seems to think we can call and get our voice in the minds of corporations - that won’t make one dime of difference. Social Justice Warriors are taking over people’s emotions. Nobody wants to hear Facts anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by xsledder View Post
    And the NFL hasn't even started yet. This should be interesting. Redskins and Chiefs are out. They will probably want the Browns renamed just for good measure. While we are at it, we should rename the Steelers because it could imply someone who steals. And the Packers could be twisted into something offensive so we need that name to go. Short people might have an inferiority complex so get rid of the Giants and Titans. I forgot about PETA. Rename the Bears, Eagles, Bills, Dolphins, Jaguars, Rams, Colts, Lions, Broncos, Falcons, Panther, Bengals, Ravens, Seahawks and Cardinals. Get rid of the Jets because all the green house gases they emit.

Vikings, Raiders and Buccaneers have to go because they just raped and pillaged villages. We can't have that. It is not PC to be a Cowboy, so they're gone. The Texans, can't single anyone out, bye bye. The Saints? Heavens no, we cannot support religion. The Chargers, only if it is by renewable energy. Maybe they get the name the Solars? When you think of the 49ers, they are just greedy, old, white men. And finally, the Patriots have to go because after all it was that bunch that gave us our freedom from the tyranny in England and made this very bad country. Did I miss anyone?
    It’s true the Washington Redskins were under pressure to change their name years ago. I had to laugh when the team owner responded said we have always been the Redskins and will stay the Redskins with our traditional logo. Now with the new normal who knows how far all this renaming will go. It’s just nuts!!

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    All I know is next time I am at the grocery store, I am going to get some Aunt Jemima, Mrs Butterworth and Uncle Ben and hang onto it. Probably be worth some bucks to Grace's kids! Maybe some Air Jordan's too!
    You better be careful. When they come for your guns they might find your stash of Aunt Jemima and label you a hate criminal. Then you will go to jail and not be able to do your forecasts.

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    You better be careful. When they come for your guns they might find your stash of Aunt Jemima and label you a hate criminal. Then you will go to jail and not be able to do your forecasts.
    Oh no!! We Have to have John’s winter forecasts..... I’m guessing things will remain calm in the UP. You guys are far from the countries tallest buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    No worries. I will just put them where I put the bodies.

I laughed when I read this, but as previously stated...it's not funny once you realize that it's actually something that could happen. Nuts!

What I want to start hearing among us patriots is what can be done about this. A small fraction of this country is upending the entire country and where is ANY push-back?! When I say small fraction, I mean the left wing nuts (Hollywood, 90% of the media, majority of politicians). This may represent maybe 20-25% of the U.S. population? guessing here...What are the rest of us doing about it other than talking about it and watching it happen? I think most of us are in shock and don't believe what's happening, but if we wait too long the country we knew will be gone and one day we will wake up and say "what the heck just happened?".

A new poll just indicated that 34% of this country believes a second civil war could happen within the next 5 years. Think about that. What would that poll result have been if asked even 1-2 years ago?

I'm telling you, I think many of us do the old "well just turn off the TV" or head out to the woods and get away from it all. Well, this may help short term but that doesn't make the problem go away. I don't pretend to have the answers but I really think a response (or push-back) will have to occur. This will not be an easy decision as all of us haven't had to even think this way for our entire lives. I want to get behind whatever we have to do in order to preserve the founding principles of this nation. What is happening now is quite frankly a national embarrassment.

Darren better look out for the Big Mac both Scottish and Irish we be saying what the heck you saying we are all plus size people? This is never ending foolishness!

Tonight the news is saying Eskimo Pies are changing their name. What are we doing??? Bow down to everything that makes it better. NOT

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by jmvette427 View Post
    Tonight the news is saying Eskimo Pies are changing their name. What are we doing??? Bow down to everything that makes it better. NOT
    Why am I thinking "Cow Pies" for the new name?

The world knew her as "Aunt Jemima," but her given name was Nancy Green and she was a true American success story. Born a slave in 1834 Montgomery County, KY, she became a wealthy superstar in the advertising world, as its first living trademark.

While in Kentucky, Green was employed by Charles Walker, then an attorney and later a distinguished Circuit Judge. She moved with the family to Chicago just after the Great Fire in 1872.

Walker heard that a friend was looking for a model for the Aunt Jemima character, and he suggested Green who, by that time, had served the family for many years. She was instantly recognized with the characteristics the guy was looking for... charisma, humor, and a fantastic cook.

Green was 56-yrs old when she was selected as spokesperson for the new ready-mixed, self-rising pancake flour and made her public debut in 1893 at the World’s Fair in Chicago. She demonstrated the pancake mix while serving up thousands of pancakes... and became an immediate star. She was a wonderful storyteller, her personality was warm and appealing, and her showmanship was exceptional. Her exhibition booth drew so many people that special security personnel were assigned to keep the crowds moving.

Nancy Green was signed to a lifetime contract, traveled on promotional tours all over the country, and was extremely well paid. Her financial freedom and stature as a national spokesperson enabled her to become a philanthropist, a leading advocate against poverty, and a fighter for equal rights.

She maintained her job until her death in 1923, at age 89, after becoming one of America’s first black millionaires.

This was a remarkable woman... and she has just been erased.

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    Why am I thinking "Cow Pies" for the new name?
    Cant do that, as then the Bovine Lives Matter movement will get their undies in a bundle.

Love it. OK, lets try a simple alternative and just go with the Oakland A's, Green Bay B's, etc, Cleveland C's, Dallas D's all the way through AF (32 teams). But wait, we cant do that because you cant use A thru F since we can't issue letter grades anymore, the F's and the U's are out because a lineupwith them playing each other wouldn't work, S's and X's can't be allowed to play because putting those two teams together would offend someone, the T's couldn't be allowed to play the A's, and the AA's are out because that would affect that group.

As Dickie Roberts said decades ago, this is all "NUCKIN FUTS"

Eskimo pies renamed....REALLY????

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    The world knew her as "Aunt Jemima," but her given name was Nancy Green and she was a true American success story. Born a slave in 1834 Montgomery County, KY, she became a wealthy superstar in the advertising world, as its first living trademark.

While in Kentucky, Green was employed by Charles Walker, then an attorney and later a distinguished Circuit Judge. She moved with the family to Chicago just after the Great Fire in 1872.

Walker heard that a friend was looking for a model for the Aunt Jemima character, and he suggested Green who, by that time, had served the family for many years. She was instantly recognized with the characteristics the guy was looking for... charisma, humor, and a fantastic cook.

Green was 56-yrs old when she was selected as spokesperson for the new ready-mixed, self-rising pancake flour and made her public debut in 1893 at the World’s Fair in Chicago. She demonstrated the pancake mix while serving up thousands of pancakes... and became an immediate star. She was a wonderful storyteller, her personality was warm and appealing, and her showmanship was exceptional. Her exhibition booth drew so many people that special security personnel were assigned to keep the crowds moving.

Nancy Green was signed to a lifetime contract, traveled on promotional tours all over the country, and was extremely well paid. Her financial freedom and stature as a national spokesperson enabled her to become a philanthropist, a leading advocate against poverty, and a fighter for equal rights.

She maintained her job until her death in 1923, at age 89, after becoming one of America’s first black millionaires.

I've never heard that story. Very interesting.

I have a question.... end of racism... equal rights...equal treatment... which believe me I am all for, but it seems and correct me if I am wrong what other races, creed or gender want is to be equal on their terms. BLM movement... yes BLM so do all lives but this morning in a certain county north of me a quadruple and a triple shooting with 5 dead, A certain big city south of me 110 shootings including a three year old and a 13 year old shot and killed by stray bullets and guess what.... NO ONE calling for SWIFT JUSTICE.... WHY NOT??? equal rights mean EQUAL RIGHTS, not just what suits you. Also since and I am all for every one no matter your race, creed or gender wants equal rights I guess we can remove a word from the equation just like we are removing monuments, changing so called offensive brand names, sports teams etc, The one word and special treatment extended and used just by using the word.... "MINORITY" if we are to be equal then there is no more "MINORITY" which means no further special treatment when applying for a job, apply for college, bidding on contracts, state and local etc... because with everyone being equal there is no longer a "MINORITY" but I assure you this doesn't fall under the desire of equality as some people view it. I guess I just don't understand why we are destroying our nations history, good or bad still part of the biggest turning point in America's history, I also don't understand the removal of brand names, if walking down the pancake isle Aunt Jemima box or the eskimo on the Ice cream bar offends you, you have other bigger issues, especially knowing the history and story behind some of the brand icon's. EQUAL means EQUAL and you cannot choose what part equality best suits you and still keep some of the benefits or perks that are tied to inequality.

… This was a remarkable woman... and she has just been erased.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    I've never heard that story. Very interesting.
    Apparently neither has Quaker Oats!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Hoar View Post
    …\ OK, lets try a simple alternative and just go with the Oakland A's, Green Bay B's, etc, Cleveland C's, Dallas D's all the way through AF (32 teams). But wait, we cant do that because you cant use A thru F since we can't issue letter grades anymore, the F's and the U's are out because a lineupwith them playing each other wouldn't work, S's and X's can't be allowed to play because putting those two teams together would offend someone, the T's couldn't be allowed to play the A's, and the AA's are out because that would affect that group. …
    1. See (click →) TCU Horned Frogs.

2. See (click →) Scottsdale Community College - Artichokes - History (quoted here, in part):
    An important part of the college’s history is encapsulated in its mascot—the Artichoke. Born during a period of student unrest in the early 1970s, Artie the Artichoke was adopted as the school’s mascot to express a difference of opinion concerning budget priorities. Originally intended to be a source of embarrassment, Artie has been embraced by students, athletes, staff, and the community as a beloved character.
    Last edited by frnash; 06-22-2020 at 05:19 PM.

A couple of thoughts here.

euphoric would make a terrible politician....he makes too much sense. But again, I hear there will be an opening for Governor in a couple of years. He should consider it.

As for the brand icons such as Aunt Jemima and the Eskimo pie. My ancestors came from Norway, up around the Arctic Circle. If they want to put a Viking on a box of Wheeties, I'm all for it. I will not be offended, I will not stop eating them, and I will not sue anyone.

I have a question.... end of racism... equal rights...equal treatment... which believe me I am all for, but it seems and correct me if I am wrong what other races, creed or gender want is to be equal on their terms. BLM movement... yes BLM so do all lives but this morning in a certain county north of me a quadruple and a triple shooting with 5 dead, A certain big city south of me 110 shootings including a three year old and a 13 year old shot and killed by stray bullets and guess what.... NO ONE calling for SWIFT JUSTICE.... WHY NOT??? equal rights mean EQUAL RIGHTS, not just what suits you. Also since and I am all for every one no matter your race, creed or gender wants equal rights I guess we can remove a word from the equation just like we are removing monuments, changing so called offensive brand names, sports teams etc, The one word and special treatment extended and used just by using the word.... "MINORITY" if we are to be equal then there is no more "MINORITY" which means no further special treatment when applying for a job, apply for college, bidding on contracts, state and local etc... because with everyone being equal there is no longer a "MINORITY" but I assure you this doesn't fall under the desire of equality as some people view it. I guess I just don't understand why we are destroying our nations history, good or bad still part of the biggest turning point in America's history, I also don't understand the removal of brand names, if walking down the pancake isle Aunt Jemima box or the eskimo on the Ice cream bar offends you, you have other bigger issues, especially knowing the history and story behind some of the brand icon's. EQUAL means EQUAL and you cannot choose what part equality best suits you and still keep some of the benefits or perks that are tied to inequality.

Very well said!

So I guess we can also say goodbye to Twinkies, because that can be offensive to some, and so long to Ding Dongs as well, because who wants to be misinterpreted seen eating those?

The folks that want to see wrong in everything, will find it.

The folks that want to see the good in people, will also find it. Which do we want to be?

Well I guess “NO NAME” steaks was thinking ahead on this one

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    A couple of thoughts here.

euphoric would make a terrible politician....he makes too much sense. But again, I hear there will be an opening for Governor in a couple of years. He should consider it.

As for the brand icons such as Aunt Jemima and the Eskimo pie. My ancestors came from Norway, up around the Arctic Circle. If they want to put a Viking on a box of Wheeties, I'm all for it. I will not be offended, I will not stop eating them, and I will not sue anyone.
    Hey Gary, do you know what town/village? Nora's ancestors are from Vadso. I don't know how many greats you have to put in front of it, but her great (times 2-4?) grandfather was the "mayor". I guess they did not have true elections back then, but he was the man that made most of the decisions for the town. Two of her relatives then immigrated to the US and ended up n the Keweenaw. Lived for a while on what is now "Rabbit Island" off the east coast of the peninsula. Once on the Keweenaw, the grandmother Hansine was the first unofficial light keeper in MI up at the entrance to Lac La Belle.

John, my Great, Great, came from Narvik, Norway. He immigrated around the turn of the century and landed in Chicago, then the family moved on to Iowa, and then bought a farm in Wisconsin during the Great Depression. Here's how much times have changed, the family name was Taraldsen but he changed the name to one of the most common of that era so the family would fit in and be like the other Americans.

Sorry for the highjack, now back to the current events.

Gary

This is no longer "protests" this has turned inti distruction of our people, cities, states and our country. By people who have a double standard of what they are protesting and also a lack of knowledge of who and what they are protesting. Also look at the age group that primarily make up the protesters, I have never seen a time where we have had to adapt and bow to a generations wants and needs as we do this one, I just don't get it and ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!! And our government local and federal needs to grow some nuts and enforce the very laws that were written to protect people and property.
    Last edited by euphoric1; 06-24-2020 at 11:33 AM.

This is no longer "protests" this has turned inti distruction of our people, cities, states and our country. By people who have a double standard of what they are protesting and also a lack of knowledge of who and what they are protesting. Also look at the age group that primarily make up the protesters, I have never seen a time where we have had to adapt and bow to a generations wants and needs as we do this one, I just don't get it and ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!! And our government local and federal needs to grow some nuts and enforce the very laws that were written to protect people and property.
    Well said & agreed!

I there a band on garage door rope pull openers? Thought I read that in the noose...….

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    They're going after Snap, Crackle, and Pop on Rice Krispy's. Seriously! Kelloggs is under fire for having all white ELVES on the box.

Then Uncle Ben's Rice is next according to MARS foods; According to the Uncle Ben’s website, "the name was first used in 1946 in reference to a black farmer known as Uncle Ben who excelled in rice-growing. The man depicted in the logo is a “a beloved Chicago chef and waiter named Frank Brown.”

And going for the Trifecta today....

The Food and Drug Administration issued new guidance saying pooches should stay at least 6ft apart from other animals and their owners outdoors.

Dog walkers should observe social distancing during the Covid-19 pandemic, experts say dogs can catch Covid-19 from humans, although it is not clear if they can then infect other pets and people.

Looks like someone left the doors to the Asylum open again
    FALSE INFORMATION That's a different strain of coronavirus which dogs are vaccinated from

Manitowish Waters, WI and Village of Summit, Wisconsin

What a great story! These people that want her name and face off the brand don't even understand that this is a huge success story, not a racial issue. So ignorant of all these hypocrites! Perhaps PepsiCo doesn't even know what the story is behind a brand that they just purchased to be in their massive product group to just make millions. But..........they are willing to cave in to the pressure rather than tell the story of this great woman and honor her. I won't buy the the replacement name for Aunt Jemima.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyDobe View Post
    I there a band on garage door rope pull openers? Thought I read that in the noose …
    A band? Huh?
    Something like this?

• a small group of musicians who play popular music such as jazz or rock
    • a flat narrow piece of cloth with the ends joined together to form a circle
    • a narrow circular piece of rubber or metal, often placed around something to support it
    • a line of something such as color or light

Quote Originally Posted by frnash View Post
    A band? Huh?
    Something like this?

• a small group of musicians who play popular music such as jazz or rock
    • a flat narrow piece of cloth with the ends joined together to form a circle
    • a narrow circular piece of rubber or metal, often placed around something to support it
    • a line of something such as color or light
    Ban
    My bad , it was early

great,great grandson of "Aunt Jemima" demands 2 Billion in relief and revenue shares....Now we know the real reason

Quote Originally Posted by pclark View Post
    What a great story! These people that want her name and face off the brand don't even understand that this is a huge success story, not a racial issue. So ignorant of all these hypocrites! Perhaps PepsiCo doesn't even know what the story is behind a brand that they just purchased to be in their massive product group to just make millions. But..........they are willing to cave in to the pressure rather than tell the story of this great woman and honor her. I won't buy the the replacement name for Aunt Jemima.
    Yup....the CEOs are balless these days....not a one of them has any these days

On the news yesterday, real estate people no longer can use the term Master Bedroom. Master has to come out of it. This is just ridiculous now.