Default More advice needed on Lawn Care Equipment

I have a Still "weed wacker". It is currently set up to use the string. I am thinking about swapping out for the plastic "arms", but wanted to get persons opinions on this setup. I am tired of having to open up the spool to straighten out how the string is mounted on the spool to get it to self feed.

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

If you are thinking about the plastic arms with the little razor blades in them I have tried them and they seem to wear out rather quickly. On my Echo which is about the same as your Stihl I used to get 'line weld' and tangled string also. Now I don't wind as much string on it to begin with and it works a lot better. Also it works better if you advance the string before it gets too short. There are also the heads with 3 fixed strings that are heavier. They are quite a bit more aggressive but they have their uses. When these wear out or go away you simply insert another fixed string. They are not really a string - they are pretty stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    I have a Still "weed wacker". It is currently set up to use the string. I am thinking about swapping out for the plastic "arms", but wanted to get persons opinions on this setup. I am tired of having to open up the spool to straighten out how the string is mounted on the spool to get it to self feed.
    John, if you are not cutting or up against anything solid the plastic blades work very well except.... you cannot get that head currently from Stihl and they are currently not selling them and have called back all that there was out in the field sometime in the fall of 2019, They offered one for many, many years. redesigned the head and blades and guess what.... RECALLED Probably someone with a white piece of paper that says he or she is smart better idea. If you are coming up against solid objects, wood or stone you wont be happy with that head. DO NOT but the non OEM heads with metal blades or braided wire as it is too much mass on end of trimmer and you will damage the unit or cause severe injury potentially if they would break. The problem with the string is one of two things, either the string is old/dried out or you are letting it get too short before advancing line. The head needs the weight of the line to advance it from the head and when it gets too short it will just suck back into head. Old line will dry out become very stiff, hold its shape and in some cases melt to itself inside of the head. Tip... store your trim line on water to keep it hydrated. Also if you want to stick with line I recommend the new Stihl Multi-polymer line VERY TOUGH LINE or the Duro-Cut trim head with the serrated lines you insert into it. If and only IF you find a Stihl head that uses plastic blades on a shelf somewhere, if it has the white blades its ok if they have orange blades...these are NOT supposed to be being sold at this time, as far as I know. If you are cutting weeds and grasses you will like that Duro-Cut head with the serrated line inserts and when you break a line you insert a new one. Either way if you are using a Nylon string line... store it in water to keep it hydrated and YES there is a difference in trim-lines.

I grew up using the white Stihl blades at my parents house, they wear out too quick IMO. I also will add that there is a difference in line. The stuff I'm using now is green and has been better then the past string i have used

Don't screw around....

If thats to extreme for you there is this option

I bought a stihl FS 56RC straight shaft trimmer in 2015, experimented with different types of string and I found the best was a .095 shaped string that has actually has five edges on it (grassgator commercial shaped trimmer line) I also am on my third head, I’m not buying any aftermarket stuff just stihl replacement heads, there a little over 20 bucks each, I just plum wear them out, it’s important that the head assembly that stores the string is real clean, it gets all filled up with debris and doesn’t function right, I’ve also found to pre-cut the string so that when I run out I can just take the head apart and wind the string on the 2 spools without having to measure anything, each one is approximately 15 feet long so then I cut a few 15 foot pieces wind them up 2 at a time and have them ready, it only takes a few minutes to reinstall new string for me, hope this helps

PS...Hey John, Did you forget something last Sunday? (hint...journal, I feel like a deprived little boy that didn’t get his weekly allowance... LOL)
    Last edited by snomoman; 06-24-2020 at 06:09 PM.

instead of weed whacking, if you have a lot to do , buy small tank for back of quad and ride around and spray weeds

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Don't screw around....

If thats to extreme for you there is this option
    slimcake, if you like that blade use a chisel blade still handle grasses and weeds as well as big of wood you can put it through and you can easily sharpen it with a round file (referring to echo pic) the other pic.....

for those of you who use trim line and want something tough...try the multi polymer line by Stihl, my commercial accounts who do cemeteries love it, hard to break. Otherwise shaped line...Echo Crossfire.

I had a set of the nylon (?) blades for my Ryobi trimmer...threw them away after about 3 uses...they were shot anyway besides being useless...just used heavier "string" ever since

Quote Originally Posted by byr 13 View Post
    instead of weed whacking, if you have a lot to do , buy small tank for back of quad and ride around and spray weeds
    Yep I trim with Roundup. 1 gallon pump sprayer at a time

Best line I have used for my Stihl trimmer is .095 square Gatorline. Wire reinforced center strand. Lasts way longer than plain plastic line.

I was looking at these recently, never used one, but does have my attention
    being a heavy duty wire wheel like, should eat thru some things and last a while, but not so sure on just using to cut back larger sections of over grow grass and brush?

I once used a saw blade on a older weed wacker , and had the whole head unit come off while using, got lucky the thing SHOT off away from me, but ever since then I have been a little timid about using another one, as had that thing come off and hit me in the ankles, WOW< that would have done some damage, I think it went about 100+ ft as it came off before stopping!

so be safe when using them things!
    MAKE sure your weed wacker is UP to the task, and designed for them,a s NOT all of them are!

here is thew wire wheel one I was looking at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px2LAjd7tUk

Good advice from others so far, including keeping the string long, and I fully agree with the .095 string.

I have found the blades work awesome great for heavy tough weed/reed cutting (think phragmites and cattails type stuff), but they just don't work well at all for regular grass cutting. 095 works best for grass

Buy some goats.��

I agree with the one gallon sprayer with roundup. Looks bad for the first couple weeks, then its just touch up once a month or so. I do all the tree rings, around the foundation, anything that i would need to use the trimmer. Works great for me. Not everyone's property will be the same, and some are afraid of roundup. I have a very nice Stihl trimmer, and i use it less than a tank of fuel per season.

i ended up junking my gas week wacker was about 12 years old. went with a black and decker battery powered. it's works great for the whacking I do around the house and trees shrubs etc,,, the gas one was overkill. Best part about the electric is you just buy the string cartridge, no winding just snap it on and your good to go.. never have had a problem with string not coming out,,just tap it on the ground,, no mixing gas,,, it's light as a feather. it also doubles as an edger which is really nice.

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Same as Timo, Black and Decker cordless and the string feed is automatic.

Milwaukee trimmer for me but thats because my tools are milwaukee. Got the trimmer leaf blower combo. Here https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...4-20/309032488

It was nice getting that big battery for my 1/2" impact. Bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Yep I trim with Roundup. 1 gallon pump sprayer at a time
    Ditto

Thanks everyone! Some great advice here. Sorry for misleading some on it being weeds I want to cut. It is mainly grass and is around things like the foundation of the house, trees, etc. So I cannot use any chemicals (due to dogs) or the steel cutters. I actually have the Still powerhead that you can swap out tools with and one of the tools is the guillotine.

I am guilty of letting the string get too short and will also upgrade to the .095 line. Plus I will store the line in water to not let it dry out.

This tool nut would love to get a cordless version, but Nora would kill me for getting another tool that I already have 2 of!

Thanks again!

I'm just throwing this out there, but I use chemicals here and at other properties I have cared for
    and I loved my dog like a kid, and I have a TON of wild life here 24/7 almost
    when used right, it is perfectly fine IMO to be used
    I have never seen any ill effects when again done right

being also a part time farmer, and used a LOT of different chemicals on crops
    that were and would be eaten by BOTH humans and, then critters while the plants were JUST sprayed and or shortly after and until harvest, and
    I ain;t seeing any issue's there either to be honest!
    never seen a sick deer or dead bird that ate anything sprayed
    and larger animals, the same, , the amount fo chemical used is pretty darn small to be honest, to kill weeds and grass

I will admit, when at home with my dog, I am extra careful of when I spray and when I would let him near any area that was

but it was never a issue for me
    we all make personal choices , and fully understand someone NOT wanting to use them
    but, from MY experience and use, I do think it is possible to use them safely about pets, if one wished to!

I know here I'd go NUTS without spraying for mosquito's too

again, NEVER seen an issue since I started doing that, minus I can enjoy being out side more often in warm weather! , without coming up a quart short on blood LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    I'm just throwing this out there, but I use chemicals here and at other properties I have cared for
    and I loved my dog like a kid, and I have a TON of wild life here 24/7 almost
    when used right, it is perfectly fine IMO to be used
    I have never seen any ill effects when again done right

being also a part time farmer, and used a LOT of different chemicals on crops
    that were and would be eaten by BOTH humans and, then critters while the plants were JUST sprayed and or shortly after and until harvest, and
    I ain;t seeing any issue's there either to be honest!
    never seen a sick deer or dead bird that ate anything sprayed
    and larger animals, the same, , the amount fo chemical used is pretty darn small to be honest, to kill weeds and grass

I will admit, when at home with my dog, I am extra careful of when I spray and when I would let him near any area that was

but it was never a issue for me
    we all make personal choices , and fully understand someone NOT wanting to use them
    but, from MY experience and use, I do think it is possible to use them safely about pets, if one wished to!

I know here I'd go NUTS without spraying for mosquito's too

again, NEVER seen an issue since I started doing that, minus I can enjoy being out side more often in warm weather! , without coming up a quart short on blood LOL
    Well that is fine for you. When I spray for weeds or bugs or anything else I don't screw around. If I am going to bother taking the time and energy to kill something I will just put the dog inside and double or triple the recommended dose. I like it when the weeds are curling by the time I put the sprayer away. If a person stores whatever extra you have after you mix it out to whatever is recommended it just sits until you throw it away 5 years later. Throw it all in and kill everything beyond doubt. The chemicals we have now are pansy *** compared to what we had 30 years ago anyway.

John, if you ever need an environment (and pet) friendly weed and grass killer: mix 1 gallon vinegar, 2 cups epsom salt, and 2 oz. blue Dawn dish soap. Not quite as good as commercial stuff and doesn't last as long, but still works pretty well and isn't toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Well that is fine for you. When I spray for weeds or bugs or anything else I don't screw around. If I am going to bother taking the time and energy to kill something I will just put the dog inside and double or triple the recommended dose. I like it when the weeds are curling by the time I put the sprayer away. If a person stores whatever extra you have after you mix it out to whatever is recommended it just sits until you throw it away 5 years later. Throw it all in and kill everything beyond doubt. The chemicals we have now are pansy *** compared to what we had 30 years ago anyway.
    I can agree and dis agree
    as many times mixing stronger just waste more chemical than it killing any better!
    wasted money
    chemicals stores well, last a LONG time too, so no need to waste it IMO?

and yes there are several other home made pet safe solutions you can use to also kill many weeds and grasses!
    here is a link to a few

https://gardenerdy.com/pet-safe-weed-killer

and there are also commercially sold pet friendly/safe (but as always this is a personal view on whet SAFE means to each of us?)
    weed killers on the market too
    like these
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1efbc4d315cf0c

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Indus...language=en_US

MOST folks I guess just use the basic round up type chemicals, due to there cheaper to use, and well, again to SOME folks, they feel just as safe when used right!

but this is always a personal choice/call IMO

I use it due to having access to it and so many yrs about!

Quote Originally Posted by russholio View Post
    John, if you ever need an environment (and pet) friendly weed and grass killer: mix 1 gallon vinegar, 2 cups epsom salt, and 2 oz. blue Dawn dish soap. Not quite as good as commercial stuff and doesn't last as long, but still works pretty well and isn't toxic.
    I have used this formula before, it works well, although instead of using Epson salt I use regular iodized salt and my mixture calls for one cup of salt but I use 2 cups, itís cheaper than the Epson salt I think
    I buy it all at Aldiís, 1 gal vinegar $2.60. 1 container iodized salt 50 cents ( I dump the whole thing in, approx 2 cups) and a squeeze of dish soap, it will kill everything including grass so watch where you are applying it

Better formula. My crop-dusting buddy just dusted me for skeeters. Tics. Small birds. Whatever. One hundred bucks well spent.

Worth it just to see the look on the dogs face when he flew over the house by Five feet at 130 mph.

Gorilla line
    ahh, watch this..

I pop the cover off and spray the string down with silicone spray. Helps it feed out a bunch. Im using a 35 year old weedeater with .065 string and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by snomoman View Post
    I bought a stihl FS 56RC straight shaft trimmer in 2015, experimented with different types of string and I found the best was a .095 shaped string that has actually has five edges on it (grassgator commercial shaped trimmer line) I also am on my third head, Iím not buying any aftermarket stuff just stihl replacement heads, there a little over 20 bucks each, I just plum wear them out, itís important that the head assembly that stores the string is real clean, it gets all filled up with debris and doesnít function right, Iíve also found to pre-cut the string so that when I run out I can just take the head apart and wind the string on the 2 spools without having to measure anything, each one is approximately 15 feet long so then I cut a few 15 foot pieces wind them up 2 at a time and have them ready, it only takes a few minutes to reinstall new string for me, hope this helps

PS...Hey John, Did you forget something last Sunday? (hint...journal, I feel like a deprived little boy that didnít get his weekly allowance... LOL)
    very nice