Default Upcoming Season News

I'm hearing some not so good news about trail funding and possibly not having grooming this upcoming year in Michigan. Of course at this point rumors and second hand info only.

Does anyone have any information about what's potentially going to happen?

Nothing specific was given, but at the MNUSA summer workshop, the concerns were pretty high that either the funding was going to be held back, or at least cut. And then what are they going to allow the DNR to do with the state trails. Itís still a big unknown, but with the state (MN) now facing a $2.4B deficit for 20-21, and an estimated $4.5B deficit into 22-23, funds are going to be hard to come by is the feeling.

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

Ok then. Mich and Mn in trouble. Anybody know anything about Wisc situation?

Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    Nothing specific was given, but at the MNUSA summer workshop, the concerns were pretty high that either the funding was going to be held back, or at least cut. And then what are they going to allow the DNR to do with the state trails. It’s still a big unknown, but with the state (MN) now facing a $2.4B deficit for 20-21, and an estimated $4.5B deficit into 22-23, funds are going to be hard to come by is the feeling.
    Here I was, thinking I would leave the deficit capital of the world (IL) and escape to a great place. Wonder what that spells for the NSST grooming.

Superior club news letter DNR has not released money that’s been ok’d for equipment repairs, also no group brushing due to Covid-19. Red flag for me I have a feeling no season for us even though we already paid for it when we purchased our trail permits last winter.

The rumors regarding no MI funding for snowmobile trail brushing and equipment repairs has me extremely concerned for the 2020/2021 snowmobiling season. We can’t trail ride without funding to groom and maintain equipment. Plus many UP snowmobile support business would go under without customers. I haven’t heard if WI will have funding cut backs but I would suspect that same condition as MN and MI due to Covid tax revenue shortfalls. We all need to to keep our ears to the ground and share information as we hear it. Lots of riders budget all year for snowmobile trips so hopefully we can ride somewhere!

Manitowish Waters, WI and Village of Summit, Wisconsin

I think this is valid concern looking at the deficits that each of the states face due to the pandemic that never panned out but put us all in a world of hurt. The factors are landowner insurance policies, size of the club and how many trails that need to be maintained, and what your club can actually handle. Our small club in western Waukesha County has a decent fund built up and we have enough to brush, sign, pay insurance for this upcoming season. Our grooming is handled by the County so that could be very spotty. My guess is that we can get the trails in but they won't be groomed regularly. Our seasons are very short in Southern Wisconsin so it might not be too much of an issue. Its Northern Wisconsin that will take the hit as they have much more to handle on a daily basis with everything. One thing for sure is that people will still ride even if trails are not groomed which I think you will see a fair amount of this season. As soon as I know something out of the Manitowish area I will try and let people know. Season is not that far away up in Vilas County.

I have ridden a fair amount of unplowed FRs and believe me they get rough. It’s expected that they won’t be groomed with bumps and moguls frozen in. Only condition that helps smooth is a foot of freshy but that cancels out with traffic and or a warm up. I sure hope 2020/2021 grooming is better than that! Big miles rides won’t happen if grooming is limited just takes too much physically to consider.

Boy the world doesn't need to see what I will be capable of if they start jacking around my snowmobile season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm warming up my Tasmanian devil voice!!!!! New sled, new trailer. SOaB this crap better resolve itself quick.

The trails will still be there, you'll just have to go much slower.

Nothing specific was given, but at the MNUSA summer workshop, the concerns were pretty high that either the funding was going to be held back, or at least cut. And then what are they going to allow the DNR to do with the state trails. It’s still a big unknown, but with the state (MN) now facing a $2.4B deficit for 20-21, and an estimated $4.5B deficit into 22-23, funds are going to be hard to come by is the feeling.
    Well then all you trail riders will have to stay home and leave the back country to me and my crew!!! J/K, it would really suck if they change what they are doing this yr. After all the crap we've had to put up with I am really looking forward to riding. We'd be making multiple trips out west if that happened.

I hope the trails get funded, after all the money is supposed to be in dedicated funds. I am planning on running the groomer this winter on our MN trails. If they don't get funded there is still lots of riding opportunities around here as long as we get decent snow. We can run the rivers and fields and some of the ditches stay pretty smooth. I would likely not go on any overnight trips though.

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

Old geezers like most of us are on this site don't like to ride rough trails. I wonder if the trails will even be open at all? If they are DNR trails they will have the final say.

Is this the stupidity we will be dealing with going through the snowmobile season?? Jesus this has gotten ridiculous.

https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/...me/3335232001/

Edit for a note of positivity - MAYBE this means, they will all be keeping their jobs, and should remain doing their jobs, just as they did before, because they are required to wear a mask! Fingers crossed!!
    Last edited by xcr440; 08-10-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Manitowish Waters, WI and Village of Summit, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Old geezers like most of us are on this site don't like to ride rough trails. I wonder if the trails will even be open at all? If they are DNR trails they will have the final say.
    Its old geezers (I am only 63, so not there yet) that are the ones that are keeping the clubs and maintenance of the trails alive. At least that is how it is by us and I think that may other clubs are in the same boat. Its crazy to think that in our club we have guys with new hips, knees, hearts, on medication for this and that yet they are the ones that get the job done to make the trails nice for everyone. I have ridden my share of great trails and rough trails so if they stay rough then I will ride less but still ride. I know our group will still get it done to open the season because we have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by pclark View Post
    Its old geezers (I am only 63, so not there yet) that are the ones that are keeping the clubs and maintenance of the trails alive. At least that is how it is by us and I think that may other clubs are in the same boat. Its crazy to think that in our club we have guys with new hips, knees, hearts, on medication for this and that yet they are the ones that get the job done to make the trails nice for everyone. I have ridden my share of great trails and rough trails so if they stay rough then I will ride less but still ride. I know our group will still get it done to open the season because we have no choice.
    You always have a choice but if no funding there are no choices simple as that. All groomers need maintenance and fuel and without it doesn’t matter who does what the grooming equipment stays in the barn. I’m anxiously awaiting to hear what states release funds for snowmobile trails and I’m concerned to say the least.

is this the stupidity we will be dealing with going through the snowmobile season?? Jesus this has gotten ridiculous.

edit for a note of positivity - maybe this means, they will all be keeping their jobs, and should remain doing their jobs, just as they did before, because they are required to wear a mask! Fingers crossed!!
    remember what ron white says !!!!!! You can't fix stupid

Is this the stupidity we will be dealing with going through the snowmobile season?? Jesus this has gotten ridiculous.

Edit for a note of positivity - MAYBE this means, they will all be keeping their jobs, and should remain doing their jobs, just as they did before, because they are required to wear a mask! Fingers crossed!!
    Wow! They're going full retard I see.

Virtue signaling is an art for progressives. All that matters is optics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    You always have a choice but if no funding there are no choices simple as that. All groomers need maintenance and fuel and without it doesnít matter who does what the grooming equipment stays in the barn. Iím anxiously awaiting to hear what states release funds for snowmobile trails and Iím concerned to say the least.
    Something tells me the Black Hills of SD will be SLAMMED with both trail and off trail sledders this winter. SD's governor is still remaining rational. MN, WI, and MI governors will all bow in deference to the vapid inclinations of the urban elites, who LOVE the concept of the outdoors but would struggle to find the difference between an oak and a fir tree.

Quote Originally Posted by ICT Sledder View Post
    Wow! They're going full retard I see.

Virtue signaling is an art for progressives. All that matters is optics.

- - - Updated - - -

Something tells me the Black Hills of SD will be SLAMMED with both trail and off trail sledders this winter. SD's governor is still remaining rational. MN, WI, and MI governors will all bow in deference to the vapid inclinations of the urban elites, who LOVE the concept of the outdoors but would struggle to find the difference between an oak and a fir tree.
    If MN , WI, MI have significant funding cuts for trail maintenance and grooming riders will be forced to look for riding alternatives. I’m thinking about it but not sure what’s left for trail riders in the Midwest. I’m thinking rivers and lakes but they are not safe after thaws and rains. Any other ideas??

WI has a self-funded snowmobile program. Registration, trail passes, and a little gas tax based on the number of registered sleds. As long as everyone registers their sleds and buy trail passes, the money should be there for the upcoming season. This is not a tax payer funded system. As long as there isn't some sort of shut down, I think WI will have an incredible season. Camping, fishing, hunting, etc. has been good this summer. I think outdoor sports will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jr37 View Post
    WI has a self-funded snowmobile program. Registration, trail passes, and a little gas tax based on the number of registered sleds. As long as everyone registers their sleds and buy trail passes, the money should be there for the upcoming season. This is not a tax payer funded system. As long as there isn't some sort of shut down, I think WI will have an incredible season. Camping, fishing, hunting, etc. has been good this summer. I think outdoor sports will be ok.
    Here is to hoping you are correct, and the snow comes early and often!

I'm no expert on it, so I called our club President who has been active in the club for years, and he stated the same thing. Can you imagine if MN and MI are not grooming and WI is? I guess you never know what our professor governor may do.

Whitedust, off trail riding and trespassing will be nuts!

The reliability of good snow and trail conditions is not great in northern WI most years. Really hard to plan a trip farther out than a week there.

MI is the same way. All aspects of the snowmobile program are funded by trail permits. However, the Gov. found a way to freeze all spending in the program when this all got "serious". Some funds have been released for trail work and other things, but there are ways the state can freeze that money, even though it is protected by law to be used only for the snowmobile program.

It would be a very stupid thing to do, as hotels/motels are open now and it would not be costing the state a dime to be filling those same rooms with snowmobilers come winter.

I sent an email to our county and received the below reply. It looks like I will be out mowing the trails this fall, which I really enjoy.

Hi Mark,

Maintenance funding has not been held back - we are receiving that like we normally would. Special project funding is up in the air, as we just found out yesterday that the funding meetings have been postponed due to the virus.

Time to go back out to the Snowy Mountains this season!