Thread: Shoulder

Default Shoulder

Got some ****ty news the other day, have a massive tear in my rotator cuff, it is separated like 2 1/2 inches, have to have surgery on October 2! Of course one of the first things that comes to mind is snowmobile season, was wondering what kind of results you people have had with being able to snowmobile this soon after, As hard as it would be, I would be willing to sacrifice the season, if it takes that long to heal it might be better in the long run? Any input?I am mostly a trail rider, and forest roads! Thanks in advance!

don't have personal experience but also fear I have a shoulder injury or they are just plain won out and there is really no good season for me to have that kind of surgery as it is my understanding as far as orthopedic surgeries go the shoulder is the longest for recovery time.

I had a torn subscapularis tear and bicep tendon repair which is more than just orthoscopic they also had to make a 3” incision on the front of my shoulder. Rehab took 3 months just to be able to do simple tasks but another 2 months before I had strength to go back to full duty at work. Fortunately my surgery was in July so able to ride but took another year before I felt confidence in lifting a sled by myself. So in my opinion depending on how much work they have to do your snowmobile season might be out of the question or very short. Sorry you have to go through this because shoulders are not fun to have fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    don't have personal experience but also fear I have a shoulder injury or they are just plain won out and there is really no good season for me to have that kind of surgery as it is my understanding as far as orthopedic surgeries go the shoulder is the longest for recovery time.
    Brian on your shoulder if there is just minor cleanup and no major tears 4 to 8 weeks pretty full recovery, major tears is when recovery takes a long time. So just have to get it looked at and see what they say.

Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.

I had the surgury in 2016. Most painful surgury ive had. Two months of physical therapy. I had 3 tears and my shoulder socket and the ball had to be cleaned up from arthritis damage.
    I had mine done in april and i rode a little the upcoming season but it was painfull.
    I think you would be wise to skip a season and fully heal. Tbe risk of re injury is great if you dont.
    Painfull surgury, long slow rehab. End result i now have good range of movement and can do everything i want to. But it took a long time to get there. You dont want to go through that surgery twice.

Bummer dude. Maybe see what if there's any chance you could sneak you in September and maybe you could catch some of February then.

I had rotator cuff surgery mid September in 2015. It had been so bad that my arm would drop out of the socket. Mri confirmed nothing was attached.

I had minimal pain and only took oxi for 1 1/2 days (made a conscious effort to stay away from that stuff). Sleeping was uncomfortable with the arm sling and basically confined to my lazy boy for sleeping. I was told end of February for any chance to snowmobile. A huge hallelujah when the doctor sent me off for my annual mid January ride. I made sure to go easy but all in all it was a good sledding season for me.

No chance Eagle! He’s on vacation for 10 days in September so that will not work at all, I bought a new ice auger and fish locator last year and did not use it once,so hopefully the arm will be good enough that I can jig for some walleyes and white bass!

well this sucks,
    and I agree,
    its a far from fun deal, and DON"T rush things and also DO NOT,.
    NOT do the therapy as told to do so, stick with it, and it too will SUCK, but its one of them things you HAVE to do right, or will end up with it not healing correctly and possibly make things far worse needing a second or more surgeries to TRY and fix! or learning to live with pain and issues!

and again, them stretches and all, do them as told, and NOT more and NOT less! just work close with the PT person , going too far or not far enough really determines the outcome of these surgeries!
    I know a bunch of folks that over did things and under did, and had nightmare recover issue's and a few with life long issue's , all due to lack of following steps needed as told to do so!
    as, honestly,
    you don;'t want to have anything go wrong and have to start all over again!

best of luck to you on the surgery!

My wife had a minor tear repaired in November about 4 years ago. She could not ride at all that season. Each one is different. She had a large amount of calcium deposits and there was damage caused by chipping that out. She swears by the therapy, and the electric recliner. She could not sleep in a bed for 6 weeks. Get one of these at Sam's. You will be happy you did. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...BAgLEDE&adurl=

I concur with garage guy, I had the surgery, first month is terrible, second and third a little better, but a year before
    I felt healed completely. Smart bet would resign yourself to no sledding this year. Heck we might not have groomed trails
    Anyway

I concur with garage guy, I had the surgery, first month is terrible, second and third a little better, but a year before
    I felt healed completely. Smart bet would resign yourself to no sledding this year. Heck we might not have groomed trails
    Anyway

Thanks for all your input guys, going to be a long year and probably will get tons of snow if I can’t ride! ( Your welcome lol)I am definitely leaning towards taking the year off!

Paul: just take it easy and dont overdue it. We all heal differently. Knowing how many miles of smiles you do and how much you love to ride hope you heal up fast!